Skip to content

Faiths and Powers: Gods of the Realms (Kitpack and divine caster/spell tweaks)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    I love the Cthulhu mythos! I do have plans for an oozemaster and hivemaster (though, i suppose that we may just handle the former in the way subtle describes). Also, other stuff.

I don't want to make explicit references to Cthulhu themself but I'm glad to read that the FR have some material related to 'primordial old ones'. I want to keep the lore in line with the FR, and it looks like that will make it work.

So let me get these suggestions on github and development will continue
    Zaghoul said:

More Ideas:
    As I am a big fan of Lovecraft, an idea is brewing for a few other things as well. Three kits that address the possibility mentioned in the alienist kit section that referred to Cthulhu.
    A bard, a champion (Paladin), and a mystic (alienist kit). MOstly ideas from Middle finger of vecna site.

Beings referred to as the 'Old Ones'(Cthulhu and others). Banished by the Elder Gods these are alluded to somewhat in the FR's, a battle between the primordials and the Elder Gods (some primordials remained neutral and survived, like say Kossuth (and other Elemental gods like Grumbar (earth)).

The first: Bard
    I saw mention of a possible bard in the mod.
    I am thinking of the possibility for a bard of the Mad God (Azathoth- Cthulhu's great great grandfather or something (Far Realm entities).
    He hears the same strange music every night in his dreams (nightmares), from a dull droning to a mix of maddening like sounds. When he wakes he finds the ability and need to replicate them. They call for him to do something, but as to what, he is not quite sure. The bard just knows of an other worldy influence on him, not any god in particular( at least at start).
    Bard songs could be one basic song with the the addition of the innate spell like songs, say 1or more times a day.

Spell like songs(cast as extra spells per day) Deaf creatures immune, plus probably golems, undead, oozes, and non-sentient undead.
    Frenzied Strings:3rd lvl Plays an insane tune that drives hurts the mind 2d6 magic(?) damage vs fail save. Number of targets like hold person of something. 1x/day to start. Bypasses MR
    *Mad Melody: 6th lvl Decreases ST's and THACO of enemies, say -1 every 10 lvls(similar to dirgesinger) no save, bypasses MR
    Cacophony: 14 lvl 1x/day (tiring) Creates a deafening droning like noise that breaks spellcasting unless save is made. Those within 10' also take 5-30 pts magic damage (no save) bypasses MR

*Not sure on a base bard song, could be that relative to the dirgesinger, or the mad melody as above, starting at first, then the other two as innate spell like abilities per day.
    Alignment restricted to CN or CE most likely.
    Immunity to confusion like spells due to his wild playing and higher influence.

Wait. Is Cthulhu specifically referenced in FR lore?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited July 2017

Don't think so...

Btw if you have ideas to do stuff, by all means that's great. I was just pondering the path of least effort to make the existing kit fun.

Yeah. I'm a bit torn. Why cover ground already traveled? At the same time, i read the same message about dr being abandoned (which makes it less likely that it'll be relevant going into the future, especially with no bws support)
    edited July 2017

Well, to be fair, that was ALIEN claiming it is abandoned, but he's a bit short on patience. It's not clear the mod has actually been abandoned at all. Granted no one's updated it in a while, but Camdawg or Mike1072 could update it at any time.

For some reason, I thought that it was Mike that said that...that changes things

Adarnis(sp) may update it as well. They have a version on their github

Edit: easy solution if dr is installed. We can do it like we do spells and sr with any shared content: if we detect that it is installed, we defer to them and use their content (under the assumption the user has the mod installed for a reason)
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @Grammarsalad Even though we have a Cthulhu mythos in the first printing of AD&D Deities and Demigods Thankfully I kept that (BIG money nowadays). FR's does not mention them directly, just references wars between primodials and eldergods. Cthulhu and others(Azathoth, Shub-Niggurath, primordials (a creature), and shoggoths(another creature) are descrided as outer beings, old ones, or primordials in the D&Demigods book.

The Deities&Demigods book got into copyright infringement violations with Cthulhu and the Melnibonean mythos of Moorcock, so TSR had to remove them. That is why I suspect FR's lore just references to 'primordials'.

@subtledoctor I like the separate hotfix idea for DR as a temporary fix to use the kit but would like to try your FnP mod with it and see how OM works.

So what would happen NOW if I install FnP as it currently is, after my DR mod (only using the base Cleric & Druid Remix options, plus the OM kit? OM still work 'as is' with FnP spheres until hotfix added?

Just curious to try it. Then I like that you could add abilities or a familiar to the kit as suggested.

What point would I add spell revisions if that works with FnP? After DR but before FnP? I can't tell if it works with BGEE V2.0+ or not, guessing it does?
    That kinda made a mess of things with trying to install the FnP mod, no kits would install, and spheres only added by itself but left OM with only three spells to choose from at first lvl (entangle,sanctuary, cure light wounds) for a new character. Removed all, as not sure what happened.

Maybe a DR mod only hotfix would be best for me at the moment, I screwed the other up somehow.
    edited July 2017
    Thanks, will wait and keep using DR mod alone. If you get time to do a hotfix for that mod, great :) .

This FnP mod is a massive undertaking, but looks to be a really interesting addition. B)

Post edited by Zaghoul on
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Is the priest spell d5f1504.spl introduced by this mod?
    It is replacing *Raise Dead* in my cleric's spellbook.
    edited July 2017

Yes.

What do you mean it is 'replacing' Raise Dead?

I mean the cleric has spell Raise Dead in the spellbook and memorized. This is not spell SPPR504 but d5f1504.
    The issue with it is that it only plays an animation but does not raise dead. Bringing the same fallen to a temple works as the temple uses SPPR504.
    edited July 2017
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    @subtledoctor Thanks, I'm just glad your trying to work with it so alot of that good stuff remains useable in some form. I have been surprised at the the response or lack thereof at G3 (I liked your response there by the way). I would imagine alot of folks still use DR in and of itself.
    edited July 2017
    edited July 2017

I mean the cleric has spell Raise Dead in the spellbook and memorized. This is not spell SPPR504 but d5f1504.
    The issue with it is that it only plays an animation but does not raise dead. Bringing the same fallen to a temple works as the temple uses SPPR504.

That is the 'focus' version of Raise Dead.

It simply uses opcide146 to cast SPPR504, so it actually is casting the vanilla Raise Dead spell... I wonder what the problem is. Maybe there's something hard-coded about that spell...? I8ll check it out.

(Btw you're not trying to raise an elf, are you? They're immune to Raise Dead.)
    Half-elf (Jet'Laya from DSotSC). And the temple can raise her with SPPR504 applied directly? And, yes I thought your spell just triggers the vanilla one and what the mod does is just change level and sphere assignmenr but not the spell itself.

It simply uses opcide146 to cast SPPR504, so it actually is casting the vanilla Raise Dead spell... I wonder what the problem is. Maybe there's something hard-coded about that spell...? I8ll check it out.

Half-elf (Jet'Laya from DSotSC). And the temple can raise her with SPPR504 applied directly? And, yes I thought your spell just triggers the vanilla one and what the mod does is just change level and sphere assignmenr but not the spell itself.
    That's not a good sign. It wouldn't surprise me if the spell was hardcoded...
    @PaulaMigrate

Have you noticed this with other characters?

@PaulaMigrate

Have you noticed this with other characters?

Raise dead cast on any killed party member does not work, just nice visuals.
    As for other clerics, I currently have no other at that level.
    edited July 2017

That's what I'm worried about... but still, if it's casting the vanilla spell behind the scenes it should work. I think it bears further testing to rule out some kind of issue particular to that NPC... as you know I don't trust those old "mega" mods...
    What's the reason to discredit the *good old mega mods*? DSotSC has been overhauled for EE and runs bug free (as do Drizzt Saga, NTotSC, Dark Horizons and others). The problem reported here appears with Anomen and Imoen just the same and they are vanilla.
    I'm very happy we have those old familiar mods once again in the new generation games. I'd trade them any day for some newer stuff that's just boring. And as we can see they can be used perfectly as scapegoats for anything that goes wrong elsewhere.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367

That's what I'm worried about... but still, if it's casting the vanilla spell behind the scenes it should work. I think it bears further testing to rule out some kind of issue particular to that NPC... as you know I don't trust those old "mega" mods...
    A few things that might cause it:
    • The Focus Spell casting SPPR504 isn't using Ability Target mode #4(Dead Actor). It doesn't sound like this is the issue since the focus spell wouldn't even cast if it were, and he mentioned it playing an animation.
    • If the spell(SPPR504) has multiple spell levels, temples are hard-coded to cast at level 1, which if the spell has been further modified could have its effects set up differently than at the level you are casting.
    edited July 2017
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367

@kjeron do you think it matters what the value for parameter 2 is in the 146 effect? Right now I believe it is set to 2 - "cast instantly, using caster's level."

It shouldn't, no. Each value works in a sample test.