Skip to content

Fallout 4

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    @FinneousPJ Why not a a sequel to New Vegas set in post-Caesar, post-Lanius New Mexico, reaching north to Utah and revisiting Zion?
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited November 2015
    How many times is it now that a nuclear bomb fell somewhere, or has the series been different characters in different places of America set in the same time period?

I have never played a Fallout game, but do hear a lot about them good old days.

From the reviews I read on Metacritic, and the Let's Play I watched to see the world, it's graphics and voice acting, I'd have to say the graphics are nice and don't look like the Sims or some other block-graphic games of the past Metacritic critics claim it to be.

Not a fan of seeing a wheel conversation option. It would have been a good idea to use a wheel for emotional reaction, then have the conversation response lines change, instead of the 4 or 5 one-liner responses I saw in the Let's Play.

Won't be buying it myself, but the Metacritic critic reviews are great entertainment reading!

EDIT: RAWR!

How many times is it now that a nuclear bomb fell somewhere, or has the series been different characters in different places of America set in the same time period?

All the Fallout games are set in the same world in the same timeline where the bombs fell in October 2077. Fallout takes place in 2161, Fallout 2 in 2241, Fallout 3 in 2277, and New Vegas in 2281. The bombs actually fell everywhere but so far the games have been set in the American Southwest or along the Atlantic Coast (not counting Operation: Anchorage, which technically doesn't exist since it is a simulation).

Hypothetically, you could make a Fallout game set anywhere in the world but it is unlikely that it would contain Deathclaws (which arose from Jackson's Chameleons, trioceros jacksonii, but you could find them in African settings) or Super Mutants (the FEV virus existed only at Mariposa and Vault 87, as far as we know--it was an American military chemical/biological experiment), Ghouls should exist everywhere, though. You wouldn't find Nightstalkers or Cazadores outside the Mojave or Zion, either, but other monstrosities would exist.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    deltago said:

The best reviews are always user reviews scored between 6-8. Read those ones only.

For the most part this makes sense. However, reading the extremely high and the extremely low ones will sometimes provide nuggets of information that, in conjunction with the more reasoned and level reviews, can be useful.

When picking a book off of Amazon, I will often times read the absolute worst reviews just to see how bad it gets. Once you pick past the trolling and the overt nastiness, these tend to be more honest than the "10 out of 10" reviews.
  • Lezard_ValethLezard_Valeth Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2015
    Reading Metacritic User reviews and I've never seen such bias among the gaming community before, although many times have come close. I've also never seen such a huge gap between official reviews and user reviews. So much critical backlash, I wonder if any of these complaints are warranted? If I took everything people are saying seriously then this game seems like the worst Bethesda game yet.
    @Lezard_Valeth - Skyrim had a (un)healthy amount of that as well, as did Dragon Age 2.

As has been already stated, looking at the first reviews post launch you have a lot of 'Reviewers' who are coming off of months of anticipation such that nothing could live up to their expectations. Still more, you get those who have an ax to grind or are simply trolls. Since they never intended to actually PLAY the game, they can launch in with their negativity pretty much on day one. It becomes open season for the new game.

For my money, I am going to wait until a decent number of consumers could reasonably have finished the game (without marathon sessions) before I really start paying attention to what they have to say.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited November 2015
    I've found this "review" (or should it be called a "remark") quite telling:

"In Fallout 5 the SPECIAL system will be simplified by having only one number, going from 1 to 10, that tells how cool is your character. Perks are completely removed.

In Fallout 6 you only have one dialogue option. You can press X to initiate dialogue whenever you want. Game still get 10/10 reviews and it is chosen as RPG of the year.

Fallout 7 have complete Facebook integration."
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Haha amusing hyperbole. FWIW I find the game is enjoyable for what it is. If you were expecting a classic fallout, where have you been the last 7 years?
    bengoshi said:

While this is a laugh, I strongly suspect that the merging/integration between social media and video games is actually coming. It might be popular fiction (as seen in 'Ready player One'), it does seem more and more that online inter-connectivity and gaming are on converging paths.

With virtual reality gear like Occulus Rift being just around the corner I think the next thing we will see is online virtual shopping such that you can actually 'Try on' virtual clothing and other accessories which will then be delivered (via drones???) to your house without you having to leave the confines of your fuzzy slippers. The next step will be virtual parties where people can get smashed and make fools of themselves in the 'Virtual' company of their peers (from all over the world) all in the comfort of their own living rooms.

Add to that the tendency of video games to move in that direction, the intersection is very likely to happen and probably in the next 10 years or less.

Welcome to the matrix.... Just hope that the future is better than Reloaded or Revolution.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

All the Fallout games are set in the same world in the same timeline where the bombs fell in October 2077. Fallout takes place in 2161, Fallout 2 in 2241, Fallout 3 in 2277, and New Vegas in 2281. The bombs actually fell everywhere but so far the games have been set in the American Southwest or along the Atlantic Coast (not counting Operation: Anchorage, which technically doesn't exist since it is a simulation).

Hypothetically, you could make a Fallout game set anywhere in the world but it is unlikely that it would contain Deathclaws (which arose from Jackson's Chameleons, trioceros jacksonii, but you could find them in African settings) or Super Mutants (the FEV virus existed only at Mariposa and Vault 87, as far as we know--it was an American military chemical/biological experiment), Ghouls should exist everywhere, though. You wouldn't find Nightstalkers or Cazadores outside the Mojave or Zion, either, but other monstrosities would exist.
    I always wondered what kind of mutated creatures evolved in Australia or the Amazon Jungle...
    In Australia? None--many of the creatures there have already adapted to what could be considered a post-apocalyptic environment.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Maybe, particularly, because the expectation for the next game in the Fallout series was that it should be better than Witcher 3, or at least on par with it.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    bengoshi said:

Maybe, particularly, because the expectation for the next game in the Fallout series was that it should be better than Witcher 3, or at least on par with it.

I get having high expectations for this game, but come on, it's Bethesda. They are crap at story, crap at memorable characters, crap at texturing, crap at modeling and half the time they are crap at character progression.

They are however great at building giant sandboxes for faffing about in and great at little things for making said faffing about more fun, like the radio stations and that is exactly what this game is. A giant sandbox for doing fun stuff in. If you were expecting a game as good as witcher 3 you're going to be disappointed, if you were expecting a better Fallout3 then you will be quite pleased, I think.

On a side note, in a year or two once the modding community has had time to mess about. This game is going to be amazing.
    edited November 2015
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    I agree @SmilingSword - My intial reaction after about 5 hours is that this is a fun open-world game. But not a great game like BG1/2 and the Witcher 3. It is immersive to go around exploring, but the story and characters are just okay - not amazing like in the two aforementioned games.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    O_Bruce said:

On a side note, in a year or two once the modding community has had time to mess about. This game is going to be amazing.

I don't think that games should be rated by their modding community. If the game is not really good on it's own, it's not good game. Mods can (and often do) make games more enjoyable, but the game's worth shouldn't be based on mods.

EDIT: typos.
    @O_Bruce I so much agree with you :smile:
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2015
    bengoshi said:

gromenawer is totally wrong here. Facebook will have probably died off or merged with Twitter by the time Fallout 7 is out. When that happens my guess is that it will become known as Tweetbook (they'll probably avoid calling it Twitbook). :)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    By then, they'll probably go back to calling it The Tweetbook.
    elminster said:

When that happens my guess is that it will become known as Tweetbook (they'll probably avoid calling it Twitbook). :)

Although.....
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Damn New Vegas, you're scary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7dYAveS-M8
    I think you need to hire guys like Chris Avellone to do your writing chores Bugthesda. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOkCesYX7PE
    Oh? So Chris Avellone will make a better conversation loop? :dizzy:

Oh? So Chris Avellone will make a better conversation loop? :dizzy:

More like better dialogue options. ;)
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I haven't actually been around the internet at all the past few days as I put 30 hours into the game according to steam. So... my personal experience so far.
    - I've actually had a relatively bugless experience, surprisingly. I had one crash in all of this time, experienced broken subtitles, a few instances of a car spawning in the air and dropping, disappearing weapons (fixed by switching perspective), and slow weapon swaps (perhaps the worst I've had, getting me kill a few times). the most memorable has got to be the time a vertibird chose to land on top of a destroyed tank. completely killed my frames until it stopped, and then the person it was picking up was stuck until I talked to them, after which he was picked up and everything was normal. that is about it. That is a decently small list for Bethesda though, and with 30 hours.
    - the story so far is servicable to me. I never expect something amazing from Bethesda, so it is harder to disappoint me.
    - this might be the first game I had to debate with myself to wear a helmet or not. that, of course, is a good thing. usually I look so ugly I just want to hide it.
    - settlement building is a pain, especially if you want to build walls.
    - i admittedly really like the new leveling system. i don't miss the skills so far. the perks are making me really think at each level as to what I want. it also feels like special is more important than ever with the perk system.
    - not a fan of having speech challenges be a dice roll like fallout 3. i have 8 charisma right now to help pass them without resorting to save scumming.
    - manual shooting is really good (i am mouse and keyboard) and easily improves on 3 and NV. however, VATS can often result in misses at point blank range when I have 5 perception. it just looks weird when the projectile goes out of it's way to dodge my target while i have the gun to their head. unfortunately, crits are now activated and charged only in VATS, so i mostly ignore criticals, sometimes charging it on weak enemy and saving it for something tough. overall, crits are my least favorite gameplay change.
    - companions so far are better than anything else bethesda has put out, but that isn't saying much. i'd say they are servicable at least, but far from the best. i also haven't met half of them yet, however.
    - loving the collectibles and customization. found a hot rod magazine that let me put hot rod flames on my power armor :) also found 4 bobbleheads and 2 unique facial tattoos and then many other magazines that give actual gameplay perks.

i would say my own experience has been a solid 8 so far. it actually surprises me to hear people complain about bugs. i suppose I am getting lucky then.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    edited November 2015

- i admittedly really like the new leveling system. i don't miss the skills so far. the perks are making me really think at each level as to what I want. it also feels like special is more important than ever with the perk system.

The adaptation of the SPECIAL system was never great for 3D shooter game, at least for combat.
    So the current system makes much more sense imo.
    The raw SPECIAL stats alone dont feel meaningful though. Most stuff is directly influenced by perks I have or have not. More Perception alone doesn't help me at all in ranged combat, but the double damage perk in the perception chain does.

But so far I'm more then satisfied with what Beth has done with F4, and this time I dont feel to urge to shoot the diamond radio DJ....
    (killed the cat meat trader though, that asshat )

a few instances of a car spawning in the air and dropping,

Was this accompanied by a guy wielding a chainsaw for a hand?

it actually surprises me to hear people complain about bugs. i suppose I am getting lucky then.

It is always open season on Bethesda when a new game comes out. Not to say it isn't deserved, just saying that if it is Bethesda people assume that there are going to be bugs and so the look for them and (in some cases) hyper exaggerate them.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    @yamcha Yeah, I can agree with you there, but I really was talking about the perks when it came to how important SPECIAL is. i am almost considering upgrading to 9 intelligence for that perk so I can increase my power armor time. also, as I mentioned, I do have high charisma just because it also counts as the speech skill :)

@the_spyder 1. i wish I could say something epic happened, but it was just cars spawning slightly in the air and dropping :)

2. yeah, I suppose so. i am fairly certain I just labeled every bug I had so far, and most of those are visual or had an easy fix. i also played New Vegas before this and crashing only once in 30 hours is a big difference from that. i suppose people might also be actively searching for exploits, something I never do. i am aware some people got the weapon in vault 111 by telling dogmeat to find weapons, for example. personally, I don't care about a bug if it is entirely avoidable, or if it is cosmetic with an easy fix. of everything I mentioned only the slow weapon swapping has effected gameplay and got me killed, and I suppose if enemies were around for the vertibird the complete lack of frames could've killed me. also, it could just be that this game runs best on windows 7, so I admittedly could be having a better experience than these people because of this.