Skip to content

Fallout 4

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Anyway, thanks very much for the review. I have been taking a 'Wait and see' approach to the game. I know I will eventually get it, I just don't want to rush in and have buyer's remorse. I did that with DA:I and now it sits unplayed on my shelf. TBH, so too with New Vegas although I did give that a healthy couple of tries.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

Anyway, thanks very much for the review. I have been taking a 'Wait and see' approach to the game. I know I will eventually get it, I just don't want to rush in and have buyer's remorse. I did that with DA:I and now it sits unplayed on my shelf. TBH, so too with New Vegas although I did give that a healthy couple of tries.

your welcome. there just seemed to be a lot of negativity going around here, yet me and every person I've talked to is having a good time. just remember though, that this is a Bethesda game. it is hard to be surprised about some things when you think of that, and while they are very much the same, I feel they've improved on it all as well. they are no Bioware, but the story has me decently engaged up to this point. I am actually taking companions with me, and you perhaps have more freedom than ever (not counting overworld map space). something might come later still that has me changing my mind on my current opinions, but so far it is pretty good.
    So while building a wall around sanctuary annoyed me, I did have a good deal of fun doing some stuff around the Red Rocket Truck Stop as my personal home
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Doggy!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Cars spawning in the air could lead to chain nuclear explosions... That would be epic :)
    sadly, my luck did not last. today I had a rather bad bug that had one of my companions entirely broken. they just wouldn't do anything. of course, playing on pc I had console commands at my disposal and eventually managed to fix it. however, beyond that, I think I would've had to reload and lose a few hours of progress through a very difficult area.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Much truth here
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/11/13/the-5-biggest-problems-with-fallout-4/

1. There's really no excuse for these graphics.
    2. Bugs, and not the radioactive kind.
    3. Conversations are lousy.
    4. Combat needs to be better, even if this isn't a traditional shooter.
    5. In the end, it's more of the same.

Basically, while I'm liking the game, it doesn't feel like a game that's come out 7 years after FO3. More like two.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2015
    To be honest I saw the trailer awhile back and it did look very similar to FO3. So that last bit in particular doesn't surprise me. I guess they were looking to play it safe and cash in.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Fallout 4 being easy cash in? Impossibru!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2015

Much truth here
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/11/13/the-5-biggest-problems-with-fallout-4/

Basically, while I'm liking the game, it doesn't feel like a game that's come out 7 years after FO3. More like two.

1. Agreed. I just don't care that much about graphics to care. Witcher looked amazing and was open world. Fallout 4 with my gtx 960 is getting 100 frames, so there is room for more while staying over 60. Don't really get fps drops on my system though, but consoles apparantly have plenty of them. Also the faces aren't abominations anymore so I'll still say this is at least a big improvement over the last 2 Fallout games.
    2. Can agree now after getting my first big bug. It is always best to wait a few months for this reason in Bethesda games (and games in general). Eventually we'll have community patches and official patches to keep most of the bad stuff out. Still, it seems a lot less buggy than Skyrim was at launch for me.
    3. Most of the time I can manage to say what I want to say. If I am unsure, I put down a quicksave and check. Annoys me when the NPCs bug me as I take a moment, though. Still, it isn't awful, and even the old system sometimes you could get the tone of your response wrong.
    4. I really disagree with this. This is coming from a mouse and keyboard player, but I feel like the gunplay is quite good. The game even has recoil which COD barely has last I played. It is one of my favorite improvements over 3 and NV for sure, and VATS feels useless now actually. I miss easy shots i could make out of VATS by using it.
    5. Agreed, but sometimes we don't need big changes. Look at the Sonic series. That didn't turn out well for them. If you have a system, it could be better to stick to it and improve upon it.

I'm still going to say I am having an amazing time in this game. Every one of my friends that has it is as well. Even those that played the originals, because at least they are willing to accept that Bethesda has the franchise now. I plan to put many more hours into this game, and one day I'll return to it with mods and expansions. This is something I cannot say about Skyrim, which I only ever managed a single day of play whenever I tried to play it again before dropping it. But I guess it is also subjective, right? I don't care at all about graphics so long as what I am looking at just looks right, not like a horrible mess. I don't need everything to look photorealistic. Nor did I ever really want anything different. What did people want there anyway? We all know they probably wouldn't go back to turn based, and I am personally glad as I am far more immersed than I was in the originals, looking down at my character like god. However, some people will never be able to like it because it isn't like F1 and 2 I suppose. Now, I'm going to get back into it. At least I am enjoying it, and I wouldn't go calling it a cash in. I won't claim GOTY material, either. I don't consider myself a fanboy, and know there were better games this year. Still, I think some people are overlooking anything good for whatever bad they could find.
    Post edited by ChildofBhaal599 on

Much truth here

1. Agreed. I just don't care that much about graphics to care. Witcher looked amazing and was open world. Fallout 4 with my gtx 960 is getting 100 frames, so there is room for more while staying over 60. Don't really get fps drops on my system though, but consoles apparantly have plenty of them. Also the faces aren't abominations anymore so I'll still say this is at least a big improvement over the last 2 Fallout games.
    2. Can agree now after getting my first big bug. It is always best to wait a few months for this reason in Bethesda games (and games in general). Eventually we'll have community patches and official patches to keep most of the bad stuff out. Still, it seems a lot less buggy than Skyrim was at launch for me.
    3. Most of the time I can manage to say what I want to say. If I am unsure, I put down a quicksave and check. Annoys me when the NPCs bug me as I take a moment, though. Still, it isn't awful, and even the old system sometimes you could get the tone of your response wrong.
    4. I really disagree with this. This is coming from a mouse and keyboard player, but I feel like the gunplay is quite good. The game even has recoil which COD barely has last I played. It is one of my favorite improvements over 3 and NV for sure, and VATS feels useless now actually. I miss easy shots i could make out of VATS by using it.
    5. Agreed, but sometimes we don't need big changes. Look at the Sonic series. That didn't turn out well for them. If you have a system, it could be better to stick to it and improve upon it.

I'm still going to say I am having an amazing time in this game. Every one of my friends that has it is as well. Even those that played the originals, because at least they are willing to accept that Bethesda has the franchise now. I plan to put many more hours into this game, and one day I'll return to it with mods and expansions. This is something I cannot say about Skyrim, which I only ever managed a single day of play whenever I tried to play it again before dropping it. Bug I guess it is also subjective, right? I don't care at all about graphics so long as what I am looking at just looks right, not like a horrible mess. I don't need everything to look photorealistic. Nor did I ever really want anything different. What did people want there anyway? We all know they probably wouldn't go back to turn based, and I am personally glad as I am far more immersed than I was in the originals, looking down at my character like god. However, some people will never be able to like it because it isn't like F1 and 2 I suppose. Now, I'm going to get back into it. At least I am enjoying it, and I wouldn't go calling it a cash in. I won't claim GOTY material, either. I don't consider myself a fanboy, and know there were better games this year. Still, I think some people are overlooking anything good for whatever bad they could find.

Much truth here

I'm still going to say I am having an amazing time in this game. Every one of my friends that has it is as well. Even those that played the originals, because at least they are willing to accept that Bethesda has the franchise now. I plan to put many more hours into this game, and one day I'll return to it with mods and expansions. This is something I cannot say about Skyrim, which I only ever managed a single day of play whenever I tried to play it again before dropping it. Bug I guess it is also subjective, right? I don't care at all about graphics so long as what I am looking at just looks right, not like a horrible mess. I don't need everything to look photorealistic. Nor did I ever really want anything different. What did people want there anyway? We all know they probably wouldn't go back to turn based, and I am personally glad as I am far more immersed than I was in the originals, looking down at my character like god. However, some people will never be able to like it because it isn't like F1 and 2 I suppose. Now, I'm going to get back into it. At least I am enjoying it, and I wouldn't go calling it a cash in. I won't claim GOTY material, either. I don't consider myself a fanboy, and know there were better games this year. Still, I think some people are overlooking anything good for whatever bad they could find.
    Preach it!
    O_Bruce said:

Fallout 4 being easy cash in? Impossibru!

LOL! Have you ever been on NMA?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    According to Bethesda, The Fallout 4 lauch was very successful.

"Fallout 4, is generating record sales at retail outlets and via digital download for Xbox One, PlayStation® 4 computer entertainment system and PC. Bethesda launched with approximately 12 million units worldwide to meet day one demand, representing sales in excess of $750 million. The collector’s edition, the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy™ Edition, sold out within hours of its announced availability.

Major retailers have informed Bethesda of the tremendous consumer interest in Fallout 4, with some noting it was the most pre-ordered game this year. In addition, the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy Edition was the fastest-selling collector’s edition of any game in history at leading retailers. Following the release, Bethesda was advised that launch day sales at some of the leading retail chains were the largest of any game released this year. Bethesda is now shipping more Fallout 4 units to retailers to meet ongoing market demand.

Digital sales of Fallout 4 are also breaking records. On Steam, Fallout 4 became the number one game played, surpassing the previous record for concurrent play with over 470,000 Fallout players. The companion app, Fallout Pip-Boy, became the number one game on the iTunes App Store. Fallout 4 also set the record as the most viewed game launch of all 2015 games, according to Twitch."

http://bethsoft.com/en-us/news/72785/print

Heh, they say the launch was successful even while the game was received by many players with negativity. I really hope that they will look not only at astounding sales numbers but also at the reception of the game, at least at the main talking points about it.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    After 30hours into the game, the initial euphoria vanished, and the flaws are getting more apparent.

1. Magical weapons and armor in Fallout. WHY DID THEY THINK THIS TO BE A GOOD IDEA?
    2. Lot's of "FUN" mechanics that ruin the game atmosphere. I'm re-building my power armor with alu cans and dinner plates. Without any knowledge what I'm doing.
    And with a few old screwdrivers (for steel) I built a new village in 2 (ingame) hours.
    3. Still bad writing and the dialog system. When you copy Mass Effect, at least do it right...
    4. Difficulty: Highest difficulty, I do half damage, enemies do double damage. More magical items.
    Is there no other way then making enemies that require 40 headshots to be killed? I take more damage, so I eat more food.
    Theres food everywhere, theres no shortage on anything. I sold 90 stimpacks, because I dont need them. Every dungeon will stock you up on food, ammo, weapons and drugs.
    Even fusion cores, which were pretty rare and expensive early game, are now on the common loot list.
    Don't even think about picking up looting and bartering perks !!!

I would prefer a game with a thick atmosphere, harsh world, plausible characters, and no focking magic!
    Instead we get timesinks

Minor Spoilers:

BoS
    Compare them from the first Fallout and what they are now:
    After killing some Ghouls I get not only an invitation to join them, I get a free suit of Power Armor, a instant promotion to knight, a meeting with the Boss, getting the most important mission, a Paladin follower who's several ranks above me.
    WHY ? This makes no sense.
    Yamcha-san, please tell me you are joking. Especially about point 1 and BoS....
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    I haven't seen any magic items, unless you count the items that give you stat boosts, extra protection from certain enemies, giving you a bonus to lockpicking or adding plasma dmg and turning your enemies to goo. Certain named items also have a extra ability, like "Spray n' Pray" doing small AOE dmg and "Big Boy" being able to shoot two mini nukes at once.

Still I really don't know if those count as magic.
    edited November 2015
    left leg protector + 1 Str, +1 End
    right leg protector + 1 Str, +1 End
    left arm protector + 1 Agi, +1 Perc

Double barreled shotgun with unlimmited magazine capacity.
    SmilingSword, what do you call that?

O_Bruce, sorry no jokes.
    They take the story, and tryhard to enhance it with a lot of cool stuff. But this doesn't resonate well for everyone.
    Sometimes a bit less is so much more...
    huh... guess I didn't think much of the brotherhood because I joined them pretty early game. I had the chance to be with them for a while and do a few missions rather than be taken straight to the boss. that definitely sounds weird if you meet them at that point in the story to be allowed to join JUST because you killed those ghouls that they take out perfectly fine without your help. i don't mind the legendary items much, though. haven't gotten anything OP, and makes some loot more interesting I guess. and equipment... 3 and NV really gave you everything you could possibly need as well, although maybe less on the healing side. i agree on liking a harsh world and when a mod like the Wasteland Edition appears I'll be sure to get it.
    Yamcha said:

left leg protector + 1 Str, +1 End
    right leg protector + 1 Str, +1 End
    left arm protector + 1 Agi, +1 Perc

Double barreled shotgun with unlimmited magazine capacity.
    SmilingSword, what do you call that?

The stats I can understand, PER from glasses, CHA from a snazzy hat and many STR from power armour, also dex from painting your power red with black flames on, because everybody knows red cars and or power armour go faster, but I have not found a shotty with unlimmited magazine capacity, that I agree is just stupid. I did find a lazer rifel with unlimmited magazine capacity and that kind of made sense.
    edited November 2015
    ChildofBhaal599, F:NV offered the Hardcore Mode, where you can't drink and eat to get healthy in the middle of a fight.
    Food obliterates Stimpacks in F4 completly. Only with some invested perks do stimpacks heal as much as a steak.

I wish I would get some nice beef steaks on prescription IRL though
    Post edited by Yamcha on
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    My preferred method of staying healthy in FONV was Rad Child and keeping myself between 200 and 600 rads. Food? Water? Stimpacks? Who needs them (other than to keep your counters down in hardcore)?
    At least the Brotherhood aren't as heroic as they were in 3.
    something to help with dialogue

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235/?
    @ChildofBhaal599 A bit, but not really.
    @finneouspj i haven't tried it myself yet. doing some other work atm. just wanted to share it for those people who didn't like not knowing what the character would say. could also work well with one of the voice removal mods for people that want that.
    60 hrs in and I'm pretty much over it. Damn Bethesda for it's shoddy writing and poor storytelling abilities. Also damn them for the ancient game engine they used, plus damn them so more for not releasing a HD texture pack on release. At a 120 hrs into Witcher 3 all I wanted was more Witcher 3. I'm not even sure if I'm going to power through the main quest line, I'm lvl 43 and the last main quest I did was at about lvl 8. I can't even bring myself to play for anything over a hr or 2 at a time now. Maybe I'll revist it in a week or two. Bah it was fun for a while, those first 30 to 40 hrs were golden.