Skip to content

Bear with me...

AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
Hunting game is in the news...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/615091/Lion-turns-the-table-on-illegal-hunters-by-killing-man-looking-to-shoot-him

It is, however, possible to hunt game in BGEE.

Wolves and Bears are numerous and plentiful on the sword coast, feeding as they do on a rich plentiful supply of level 1 adventurers from Candlekeep and the odd Gibberling or two. (Hell, food is so good, someone keeps releasing war hounds into the wild, when it is dinner time, as it is a cheaper source of nutrition...)

Although... It must be pointed out, while wolves will actively try to pull your arm off, bears will, unless aggravated, leave you alone and look for picnic baskets elsewhere.

For that added twist, Rangers and Druids have access to Charm Mammal, but should you charm a bear to dance to your tune? Is this an evil option? Should they be left free and unmolested?

Hence the poll to find the answers!

So what do you do? Do you hunt? Do you charm? How do you feel about this? What should you do?
  1. Bear with me...56 votes
    1. When I see a bear I xp. I kill it. Plus, have you seen how good I look in a pelt / matching fur bra, pantalets with boots? Also squirrel hats are in fashion at the moment.
      50.00%
    2. When I see a bear I see nature unspoilt. I walk away. Does a bear not perform his ablutions in the woods? We should walk away before we step in any...
      35.71%
    3. When I see a bear I make it dance. THE DANCE OF DEATH ! ! ! Mwahahaha! I charm that fury honey sucker and make it charge into combat, whilst I watch, admiring at how many arrows, magic missiles, fireballs it can block. If it is nearing death, I kill it, because I deserve that xp. For being smug and clever...
        5.36%
    4. When I see a bear I make it one of the team. Yes, I charm bears. I have that look I suppose... Being Hairy 'n' all. Anyway, I ensure that we work as a team. We fight together, we play together, we sleep together. And when we have to part ways... I heal my bear, if I am able.
        8.93%

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I do look good in fury pantalets... The xp has nothing to do with it...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I try to avoid the non-hostile bears. If it wanders too close, oh well, it should know that the metal encased hairless monkeys aren't good to eat.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    I avoid bears at all costs! For some unknown reason, BG:EE adds PACKs of bears out in the wilderness. Sure, there's a cute black or brown bear strolling through the woods. BG:EE? There's six black or brown bears strolling through the woods!

Somehow, I think Yogi was involved.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Kiting bears in the first map is a right of passage for all my PCs
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    It was strange how bears in Baldur's Gate used to move really slowly, considering that in real life they can move extremely quickly.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxPhIGzGH8E

Nothing beats having an Death Panda Bard for your party. Especially one that can play e-guitar!
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I try to respect nature as much as possible and leave the bears (and any other forest animals) be, but if one turns hostile (or already is), then I'm reluctantly left with no choice but to kill it in self-defense.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

left with no choice but to kill it in self-defense.

What about walking away?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    joluv said:

What about walking away?
    "It's coming right for us!"
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    joluv said:

What about walking away?
    Bears outrun you now.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    BillyYank said:

"It's coming right for us!"

Stand your ground!
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    So many bears killers there :(
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838

I try to respect nature as much as possible and leave the bears (and any other forest animals) be, but if one turns hostile (or already is), then I'm reluctantly left with no choice but to kill it in self-defense.

This sums it up right here. I'll try to avoid most bears, but if they turn hostile on me..... :/

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    It appears people mostly kill bears when they see them...

@dr_muds ... I ... am... wait... are you the new god of murder?
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited November 2015
    Bears get killed on sight. Except for Wilson. He's good in front line melee; if I could train him to use a sword, I could let him bear arms. Hey, why not? It's perfectly legal. The Athkatla city charter gives all residents the right to arm bears.

If WIlson were to hire out as a mercenary, he would get paid in bear-er bonds, although I suspect he would bearly eke out a living that way.
  • dr_mudsdr_muds Member Posts: 75
    Anduin said:

It appears people mostly kill bears when they see them...

@dr_muds ... I ... am... wait... are you the new god of murder?

@Anduin well i am technically Bhaalspawn... the way i see it I agree exactly with you guys, anywhere you can get free XP go for it. However if you have a charm animal lying around, why get your hands dirty and use it to maul a few xvarts and hobgoblins before grabbing the final blow?