Skip to content

The Roleplaying Challenge Continues! The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    You find, in total:
    20 Javelins (2 packages of 10)
    10 morning stars (2 packages of 5)
    10 Broad Swords (2 packages of 5)
    9 small shields and 1 large one. The large shield is emblazoned with a pictoglyph of a lizard with a forked tongue extended, identical to the one on the paper in the cabin above. (2 packages, 1 with 5 small shields, 1 with 4 and the large shield.)
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    OOC Seems like we have stumbled across an arms smuggling operation. Someone is going to fund a lizard man revolution?
    I guess Imoen and I will have another scan round for secret doors then if we find nothing we should go back out on deck and try the right hand door. Usual routine. Check for traps then pick the lock.
    No more secret doors, no. You go back out on deck, and a crossbow bolt comes whistling out of the air to strike Imoen in the shoulder for 3 damage. You look up (literally) to see where it came from, and far above the deck, you think you see a crow's nest atop the mainmast.
    edited October 2012
    I'll start shooting some slingshots up while he is trying to re-load. But if I cant see where he is I will go back inside while we make a plan.
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Since broadswords are lacking in the collection of Minsc, he adds one. Now having long, short, broad and two-handed, he feels that he has one for all occasions. "Swords are like Hamsters," Minsc expalined to Boo. "No two are the same. Except these broadswords. Right, Boo?"

Only partial aware of goings-on, he hears a sound and sees that Imoen has been attacked. "Evil is afoot! Go for the eyes, Boo. Go for the eyes!"

OOC - he is, as of yet, unaware that the threat is not just outside the door and that swords might not be the best solution for this situation
    OOC - I think best plan is stealthy thief climbs and backstabs the cur!
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    "Ow." Imoen ducks back into the cabin. "Shooter above." She glances at the crossbow quarrel sticking out of her shoulder and swallows hard. "At least one, but maybe he's got friends." She pauses, thinking. "Not sure how good a shot he is. This could have been a lucky hit or an extremely unlucky one."

@LadyRhian Does a short bow or a crossbow have longer range? Did I see the guy who shot me?

I have two thoughts. "If I can see the shooter from the doorway, someone could hold the large shield up so we don't get shot, and I can try to shoot him while he reloads. If I can't, we can use the shields to move out of the cabins and back onto the deck without getting shot, but climbing into the rigging could be a tough business. It'll only sway more the higher we go."
    DM sez: A crossbow has longer range, because it's mechanically assisted.
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505
    LadyRhian said:

pictoglyph of a lizard with a forked tongue extended, identical to the one on the paper in the cabin above. (2 packages, 1 with 5 small shields, 1 with 4 and the large shield.)

OOC: ever start feeling a subtle hint? this ain't one. I feel a hint hitting this group over and over again like an anvil on a head.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    OOC I see Evinfuilt is as wise as Boo sometimes too :)
    DM: Dead Horse? It's not dead yet! It's only resting! ;)
    Can I shoot the guy in the rigging/crow's nest or is he out of range for me?
    "Maybe he is out of range for little Imoen, but Minsc is huge!" Boo didn't think that his size had anything to do with it, but Minsc wasn't always quick to hear the Wisdom of Boo. "Huge feets make for huge kicks on the backsides of evil." A truism that needed to be heard by the party, so that there would be proper and adequate appreciation. "And for huge bruises on the backsides of evil," he added, just for good measure.

OOC: still think that stealthy sneaking is the way to go :D

OOC2: @Mlnevese - As wise as Boo? Look into the Beady Eyes of my Hamster, and change your ways
    Imoen rests a hand briefly on the big ranger's arm. "You are huge, but that makes you a huge target, too, especially when you have to climb to the top of the mast to apply boot to the backside of evil. If I can reach him with my arrows from the deck, no one else will have to be turned into a human pincushion."
    @reedmilfam I should have said ALMOST as wise as Boo... Only Boo is as wise as Boo, of course :)
    @Jhart1018 Well... you could try, but... not much of him is visible in that Crow's Nest. It's also dark out, and there is no light up there... Let's just say that hitting him is like trying to put the thread through the eye of a needle from 5 feet away. It's possible, but not very likely.
    Can we get under him with axes and just chop the mast down? He shouldn'tt have an angle to hit us when we're directly under him...
  • MyvalMyval Member Posts: 127
    Cut the mast down? I think we would be better off getting up there, or try to get closer..
    You could, but it's going to take more than swords to do so.
    Then stealthy is probably the way to go. If it's dark, how'd he see me? Sigh. Possibly the rogueish types should try to introduce pointy things to our friend up above. I'll grab one of the small shields and use it to protect my head and torso as I ease the door open quietly and start heading for the mast. If there's a sudden flurry of crossbow bolts punching through my shield, I'm sprinting back for the cabin as fast as I can.
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505
    LadyRhian said:

@Jhart1018 Well... you could try, but... not much of him is visible in that Crow's Nest. It's also dark out, and there is no light up there... Let's just say that hitting him is like trying to put the thread through the eye of a needle from 5 feet away. It's possible, but not very likely.

Knowing this group you'd critical miss and the falling arrow instantly kills Xan.
    OOC: A little pyro-ness can set mast on fire and make things hot for our sniper. Of course, we may have issues soon after, but who's nitpicking?
    Minsc looked at Imoen's arrows and saw that they were small. "Even the Sword of Boo cannot reach that high, sneaky hero." Boo squeaked from his nest inside the cuirass. "Oh. Shooting from bow. Ah. You. You... You. You are smart like Boo, sometimes, Right, Boo?" She was also smart like Minsc, but he didn't want to be boastful, and so he didn't say. "Hear that, Xan!" Minsc wanted Xan to know what thinking sounded like.
    I will go out with Imoen then we can both climb up to the crow's nest from opposite sides of the rigging and one of us will be able to backstab him. It would be good if while we start our climb the others could use missile weapons to distract him or just yell taunts at him about how his mother smelt of elderberries or whatever.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited October 2012

I will go out with Imoen then we can both climb up to the crow's nest from opposite sides of the rigging and one of us will be able to backstab him. It would be good if while we start our climb the others could use missile weapons to distract him or just yell taunts at him about how his mother smelt of elderberries or whatever.

I assume you changed that so Minsc wouldn't be offended, yelling that his mother was a hamster would just cause needless confusion :P

Well, Xan has used all his spells for the day and can't really use his sword so he'll...just admire the architecture? I guess he will examine the spell book that the others found and will add the nonmagical books to his growing personal library. He will put a bookmark where the open book is open to, in case it's significant.

However, Kimble is very good at distracting people for the purposes of pranks and japes such as this, and will cast Dancing Lights to spin around the smugglers' head and distract him further from the climbing rogue.
    Seeing that the ladies were (except for Branwen) headed out, Minsc began to follow. Much to his dismay, they indicated that the presence of a hero was not needed. It didn't make sense and he began to think that they weren't thinking clearly. Still, he remained behind and peered out the door to watch the goings on.
  • MyvalMyval Member Posts: 127
    Branwen nodded, "I think I can do that." She said, nodding, and putting back her hammer, reading her sling and a pebble to fling at the crow's nest, and a few good insults to boot. She scooted to the door way, sitting low, with her shield in front of her, in case the cowardly sniper decided to take a shot at her, which was the idea, overall.
    Okay. :) I'll just say that Kimble's "Dancing Lights" adds to your chances to hit the guy in the Crow's nest, if you'd like to try, now that you can see him from the deck.
    I'll start firing my sling at him then. I didn't much fancy a melee in the rigging.