Skip to content

How do you use mages?

abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
Yesterday I was wondering how many ways people use the mage class. Me, personally, I know that mages are good for charming enemies, sending them running in fear, or paralyzing them, but I don't do that. No, what I do is buff my mages halfway to the moon then drop a comet on my enemy's head.
  1. How do you use mages?81 votes
    1. Charm, confusion, etc.
      20.99%
    2. Buff party members like a mini-cleric
        3.70%
    3. EXPLOSIONS
      41.98%
    4. Other
      33.33%
booinyoureyesAedan

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    usually they just hang back and watch everyone else fight and will only get involved and waste a precious offensive spell if someone is losing a one on one fight.
    BelgarathMTH
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Depend what kind of mage I use. My playstyle will look differently for Enchanter, Invoker, Generalist or Sorceror.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BlackorbBlackorb Member Posts: 62
    I use my mages for almost everything B) but there most important role to me is crowd control.
    Spells like sleep, glitterdust, horror, slow, confusion, can change almost any battle to your favore.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    (Improved) Haste, Stoneskin, Spell Immunity... that's basically the whole reason I take mages along.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    MR TORGUE APPROVES OF THE EXPLOSIONS OPTION!!!

Really though, it depends on the mage. If I have a PC mage, he will probably have a few buffs but mostly direct damage and some debuffs. If I have a second mage, say Imoen, she will have mislead and improved haste and so on, plus a few damage spells.
    FlashburnmashedtatersAerakar
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    A combination of buffing and blasting, generally. Never been a big fan of the enchantment stuff.
    BelgarathMTH
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    BelgarathMTHElendar
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Identifying magic items.
    [Deleted User]booinyoureyesBelgarathMTH
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    As meatshields, of course~
    [Deleted User]booinyoureyessemiticgoddess
  • IcecreamtubIcecreamtub Member Posts: 547
    Arcane Enhanced-Warriors.

Just without the Fighter/Kensai stuff applied to it.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I'm a simple man.

"They blow'd up real nice."
    mashedtatersAerakarBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited March 2016
    As I'm currently doing a mage solo run which started in Candlekeep and is now in the Underdark I've come to realise how versatile a general mage really is. So in future my role for the party mage will depend very much on his or her level. At early levels it will still be very much "Keep out of the way and try not to get hurt". However, as his spellbook grows the role will develop from buffing, supporting and interfering a bit to more of a central player that can deliver a chain of devastating offensive spells with (almost) immunity.
    Aerakar
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    It really depends what type of "mage" I am playing.

At the moment I am playing a Jester who is only charming, confusing or depressing enemies.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    I usually don't have the patience for spell casters. If by some miracle I'm not playing a party full of people doing the same thing and actually have a mage then they have one spell that they cast at a very specific time.

I am not good at this game.
    booinyoureyesAedanJuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I use mages to pull off the crazy stunts that other classes cannot. In my Party of Spiders run, I used them as tanks and damage dealers--Iron Golem form with Righteous Magic and Boon of Lathander; spider form with the Answerer; and spider form with flashers. In my Fire Seed party, I used my mage for buffs (Improved Haste) and to blind my Bounty Hunter. In my current run of IWD, I'm using my twin mages to create the scorcher loop, roasting endgame Heart of Fury monsters in seconds.
    AerakarJuliusBorisov
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    My mages like to watch things burn.
    SpaceInvaderAerakar
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    SethDavis wrote: »
    I usually don't have the patience for spell casters. If by some miracle I'm not playing a party full of people doing the same thing and actually have a mage then they have one spell that they cast at a very specific time.

I am not good at this game.

This was me before I discovered this forum
    SethDavisJuliusBorisov
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    typo_tilly wrote: »
    Primarily, removing enemy spell and magic protections. :)

This is what I do late game, but only because I have to in order to win a battle. It feels like an inconvenience.

I definitely prefer the taste of raw power as my mage throws fireball after fireball after fireball into the charging hordes of bloodthirsty villains, cackling evilly as their flesh burns from their bones amidst screams of pain and death. Soon, soon, the whole world will burn...

I also like love adore worship mages who are killer archers as well. There aren't any vanilla npcs really (except for jan, sort of), so I have to dual a archer/fighter over to a mage (usually in IWD).
    EmpyrialGozeta
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    All at the same time.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    I can tell you how I use my invoker:

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    All of the above but this most of all.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    How do I use mages?
    As sources of XP and loot.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    I end up falling into the explosions category more often but I enjoy disabler spells much more.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Fireballs.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Removing enemy protections
    Slowing/confusing enemies
    Using magic missile to interrupt spells

So basically a disabler
    Virelai[Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    All the above.