Skip to content

Bad decisions from NPCs

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
So Bloodscalp decided that it would be a good idea to ask a Cavalier to do a covert mission to take down Maevar and his rogue guild. My cavalier went in, and saw that Maevar had imprisoned and tortured and innocent man for a decade, and then asked the paladin to take part in a theft. So...the paladin threw up protection from evil, walked over, and put a sword through Maevar's gut. He didn't even wait to get evidence of the man's corruption.

What was Bloodscalp thinking when he asked a paladin to do this? How did he think that this would end? That a paladin would spend time pretending to be at thief, earning their trust, and finding evidence? It's like using a flame thrower to light a cigar. Yeah, it produces fire, but you probably don't want to get it to close to his face.

Luckily for him, said cavalier is smart and wise enough to know that killing Bloodscalp for his crimes would be counter productive. Better to, as Bloodscalp admitted, let the other guilds think that he is out for them. This would disrupt the cohesiveness of the Shadow Thieves as a whole much more effectively than killing two men would ever be.

----

Anyone else have examples of where NPCs made a very foolish decision?

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Whenever some guy thinks he can beat your heavily armed team of six by himself.

This.

Whenever that happens it is face palm inducing.
  • Tad_Has_A_Cold_OliveTad_Has_A_Cold_Olive Member Posts: 183
    Irenicus figuring that he can f&%k with a demigod and get away with no negative consequences for himself.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I mean, the number one bad decision has got to be Bondari attacking the party, yes? Three first level characters attacking six level 20+ characters. Not precisely smart.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Noober walking up to you saying "hey ya"
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Imoen, for leaving the safety of Candlekeep to follow a level 1 character with no money and a huge bounty on their head.

In fact, pretty much every character who joins Charname, knowing that Charname is a wanted Bhaalspawn in whose footsteps chaos is fated to be sown.

Except Haer'Dalis. As a doomguard he would be crazy not too!
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Keldorn...everything Keldorn. He just screams poor decision making. Just...too much to go on. What is his wisdom again? two and a half?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Jarrakul wrote: »
    I mean, the number one bad decision has got to be Bondari attacking the party, yes? Three first level characters attacking six level 20+ characters. Not precisely smart.

He just wanted to see what would happen. He always intended to reload and play the encounter the right way after he got his team killed for giggles.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Soulafein(sp) giving you fake "fake dragon eggs".

Expose the Charname and party, instant readoption as Pharae's favourite. In fact forget Pharae, instant promotion to highest possible male available position.

I have never understood how he blames Pharae for being tortured to the point where she has "nothing left but her ambition".
    It's the toturers surely who deserve his anger?
    Soulafein(sp) giving you fake "fake dragon eggs".

Expose the Charname and party, instant readoption as Pharae's favourite. In fact forget Pharae, instant promotion to highest possible male available position.

I have never understood how he blames Pharae for being tortured to the point where she has "nothing left but her ambition".
    It's the toturers surely who deserve his anger?

Isn't Soulafein a worshipper of the only good goddess in the drow pantheon?
  • MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    Tranzig, for being a rat in front of Dorn!
    Did he really think he would save himself?
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    This must have been beaten to death already but Ellisime and the elves of Suldanessalar cursing Irenicus. I mean, I get that she thought that he could have been redeemed but why strip him of everything that made him Elvish but not do anything about his magic?

Far worse than doing that is her bad grammar.

"It is something I will have to ponder on"

Why is the "on" there at the end of the sentence?
    Apart from being one of those incidences where you as Charname can look around at the ruins and the dead bodies and think,
    "well duh".

Just wrong and jarring, has to be the most annoying sentence in the game. And right at the end so it stays with you.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    Uhhhhhhhhh...anyways.

I'm going to have to go with the guy that originally made it a rule that the newest person in the bandit camp should watch the all important tent that has the camps prisoner and important documents.

Just seems like an assignment that someone more trustworthy should be put on.
    elminster wrote: »
    Uhhhhhhhhh...anyways.

I'm going to have to go with the guy that originally made it a rule that the newest person in the bandit camp should watch the all important tent that has the camps prisoner and important documents.

Just seems like an assignment that someone more trustworthy should be put on.

It's also probably the job that no one wants, so they just forced the new guy to do it.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    Yea but surely there is a job worse than that in the camp. Like the guy whose job it is to sit in a tent all day and hand out armor :)
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    elminster wrote: »
    Yea but surely there is a job worse than that in the camp. Like the guy whose job it is to sit in a tent all day and hand out armor :)

Or the guy who has to clean out the cave after the gnolls have been confined there.
    I always assumed it was an ambush. The best mates/fighters are waiting in there to kill you and you can't talk your way out of it. They just used their most incompetent private as bait. Then, after the loud battle when you walk out the rest of the bandits wisely pre tended that they heard nothing.
    Grum wrote: »
    I always assumed it was an ambush. The best mates/fighters are waiting in there to kill you and you can't talk your way out of it. They just used their most incompetent private as bait. Then, after the loud battle when you walk out the rest of the bandits wisely pre tended that they heard nothing.

You mean like this guy?
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,079

Traitor! I could've helped you! Die!

That's not quite what I'd expect of a Shadow Thief. I'd expect he'd be a bit more sneaky in disposing of members of the rival guild than just saying, "hi, I'm going to kill you," before attacking.

There's actually a pretty reasonable thing he could've done. Once he had heard from one spy or another that the party was going to come for him in order to take his key, he and his partner Arledrian would go to the first floor of the Shadow Thief building, where they would have safety in numbers. There, the two of them would snipe the party from the elevated platform the moment the party entered. Of course, this won't prevent him from being slaughtered by the mighty bhaalspawn in the end, but it makes a lot more sense than what he does in the game.