Skip to content

Maximizing ranged potential for non-Archer?

I have Paladins in mind, but this could apply to Fighters and other Rangers as well.

In Neverwinter Nights (3rd Edition D&D), the Paladin had some good synergies that could make him one of the best ranged attackers in the game, by choosing the right Feats. Zen Archery would allow the Paladin to use WIS instead of DEX to determine ranged attack bonuses. More importantly, Divine Might (use a Turn Undead attempt to add +CHA bonus divine damage for +CHA bonus rounds), allowed the Paladin to add a high base damage to ranged attacks. With a high enough CHA from attribute assignment, items, and spells, he could easily get around a 15 bonus to base damage.

Anyway, I'd like to make a crossbow-wielding Paladin with maximum ranged potential. Off the top of my head, the only things I can think of are:

1. 18 DEX (obviously);
2. Two pips in Crossbows (obviously);
3. Gauntlets of Extraordinary Weapon Specialization (+1 Thac0, +2 Damage, +1/2 APR);
4. Firetooth Crossbow;
5. Bolts of Piercing, or other high damage bolts;
6. Helmet or Ioun Stone that adds to Thac0;
7. HLAs: Whirlwind, followed by nothing but Greater Whirlwind;
8. ???

Comments

• PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    Bolts of Biting and/or Bolts of Lightning will be your best damagers. Besides that, I think you've got it all covered.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I like a fighter (not kensai) with ***** in shortbows (longbows work too, but shortbows feel better). Then I dual class them at level 9 to Mage for an awesome ranged plethora of arrowy death.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    I forgot about those Kuo Toa bolts that @Kaigen mentioned. Those are also super helpful. A stunned enemy is as good as dead.
  • dracostrikedracostrike Member Posts: 151
    Get Boots of Speed to make distance since if someone closes the gap, you lose -4 THACO I think in melee
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Although it wasn't exactly what I had in mind, the Kensai idea is an interesting take. In any case, it seems that I have my bases covered then? Sticking to traditional bows/crossbows, I suppose the Warrior classes could be roughly ranked in the following manner:

1. Archer (Obviously!!!)
    2. Blackguard (Ranged poison damage, DUHM Dex bonus);
    3. Fighter (Grandmastery);
    4. Kensai (Grandmastery, no armor gives edge to Fighter);
    5. Undead Hunter (DUHM Dex bonus, +3 ranged hit/damage against Undead);
    6. Paladin (DUHM Dex bonus);
    7. Beast Master (Animal summons have synergy with ranged attacks, Entangle);
    8. Stalker (Access to Haste spell (iirc), Entangle);
    8. Ranger (Entangle);
    9. Inquisitor (No DUHM);
    8. Berserker;
    9. Cavalier (can only use throwing weapons).
  • dracostrikedracostrike Member Posts: 151
    Berserker should be a little higher due to immunities ^^ Also I feel that Ranger is below Cavalier here :/
    Berserker should be a little higher due to immunities ^^ Also I feel that Ranger is below Cavalier here :/

My ranking is obviously up for debate, but I was focusing on bows and crossbows to the exclusion of slings and throwing weapons, so the Ranger would necessarily be a superior "archer" compared to the Cavalier (who probably shouldn't be allowed to use throwing weapons to begin with).

I rated the Berserker low since he only gets 1 pip in ranged weapons (iirc). His rage ability might be powerful, but it doesn't really effect his ranged ability. Having said that, I used secondary abilities in order to break ties, such as between the Undead Hunter and the Paladin. The Undead Hunter would be able to do an additional +3 to hit/damage against undead at range, so is rated slightly higher than the Paladin. Similarly, the Fighter and Kensai would be near identical, but the Fighter can wear any armor. Other than that, my primary focus was about the best Thac0 and damage each Warrior class can squeeze out of a bow/crossbow.

• Note that the Kensai has the same limitations as the Cavalier with regards to ranged weapons, so if you're sticking to the traditional bow, they're stuck at the bottom. For pure damage, however, @Grum has it right: A throwing Kensai beats everyone else hands down. Especially if they exploit the 2 APR and Strength to damage of the BG2EE magical throwing daggers.
    Kaigen wrote: »
    Note that the Kensai has the same limitations as the Cavalier with regards to ranged weapons, so if you're sticking to the traditional bow, they're stuck at the bottom. For pure damage, however, @Grum has it right: A throwing Kensai beats everyone else hands down. Especially if they exploit the 2 APR and Strength to damage of the BG2EE magical throwing daggers.

I had a suspicion that was the case, but couldn't remember since I've never played as a Kensai. So yes, the Kensai would go to the bottom.

I suppose I could simplify the rankings of bow/crossbow ability as follows:

1. Archer;
    2. Blackguard (DUHM, Poison);
    3. Fighter (Grandmastery);
    4. Undead Hunter / Paladin (DUHM, Slight edge to Undead Hunter with +3 ranged hit/damage vs. undead);
    5. Beast Master / Stalker (Animal summoning, Haste, Entangle);
    6. Ranger (Entangle);
    7. Inquisitor (Specialization, No DUHM);
    8. Berserker (Low proficiency);
    9. Kensai / Cavalier (Cannot use bows/crossbows).
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Ill also say that a dagger Kensai is thematically really cool. An elfwearing fancy clothes, the kind you wouldn't want to get dirty, just holding a single dagger. Anyone who gets close gets a well placed dagger in the throat/eye.

If you go the evil route you end up with S22 and D21. Stats that make your daggers insanely dangerous.

edited March 2016
    Grum wrote: »
    Ill also say that a dagger Kensai is thematically really cool. An elfwearing fancy clothes, the kind you wouldn't want to get dirty, just holding a single dagger. Anyone who gets close gets a well placed dagger in the throat/eye.

If you go the evil route you end up with S22 and D21. Stats that make your daggers insanely dangerous.

I think that the throwing knives would work well for a halfling. In fact, there was a little person in Howling 2 who used throwing knives. Howling 2 had a brief RPG moment when they marched toward the werewolf castle with torches: Christopher Lee as a paladin, a priest/cleric with a silver axe, a "Halfling" thief, etc.

A dwarven Kensai with throwing axes/hammers would work too.

Elves would be throwing dil...pickles.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    That does sound fun, @Grum. With throwing daggers becoming 0-weight in 2.0, I may have to try some variant of that.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Philhelm You're forgetting the Assassin -> Fighter dual class which is arguably better than the Black guard due to grand mastery.
    FinneousPJ wrote: »
    @Philhelm You're forgetting the Assassin -> Fighter dual class which is arguably better than the Black guard due to grand mastery.

A good point, and I agree.

Regarding HLAs, would people agree that Greater Whirlwind would be best for ranged attacks, or would some of the others have use as well?
  • MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    There is something that need to be taken in consideration above everything else IMHO, regarding ranged potential: The problem of weapon immunities

As far as I have checked online, it seems than when you shoot with an ammo-based weapon, the level of enhancement of the ammo counts toward foe's specific immunities, not the level of enhancement of the weapon.

It leads to the following situation: Almost all ranged weapons sucks against every foes requiering a +3 or more, the exceptions being:
    - Fire Tooth and Crimson dart, which generate an endless supply of +3 ammo
    - Gesen Bow, which generate an endless supply of +4 ammo
    - Slings, who have +4 ammo sold in number, but you can't drag an infinite supply and it will drain your gold

There is absolutly NO ranged weapon that can deal with an Absolute Immunity

That's why I asked in my other thread ideas for an "Arcane Archer", because, as far I see, the only way a ranged character can damage someone with a immunity to every weapon under +5 is to use Energy Blades

If you give up dealing with ennemies requiering a +5 weapon, the best bet is to specialize in Short Bows for the Gesen Bow which is the only weapon providing infinite +4 ammo... and one of the unlimited ammo weapon that get accessible relatively early, in addition.

Crossbows could seems nice... until you land against a foe that will litteraly ignore every of your shots
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Jarrakul wrote: »
    That does sound fun, @Grum. With throwing daggers becoming 0-weight in 2.0, I may have to try some variant of that.

Sounds good! I will say this though...

BG1 you are stuck with normal throwing daggers
    BG2 Pickpocket or do the wish quest to get a returning +2 throwing dagger (boomerang dagger) asap. Otherwise buy lots of mundane poisoned throwing daggers.
    BG2 Ust Natha has a +3 throwing dagger that does 1-2 fire damage (firetooth). You won't find a better one in the saga.

I'm pretty sure that SoD will let us dual wield with throwing weapons. So you can get Crom in your offhand for 25 strength. That, combined with a throwing dagger is insane.

Otherwise a very fun combination to have for this kensai is this:

Reflection Shield +1 (reflects all missile weapons back)
    Cloak of Mirroring (reflects all spell damage back)
    Boots of Speed
    Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization (+1/2 attack/round, +1 THACO, +2 damage)

That is a real beast right there. You'll be faster that everyone else so kiting is easy. Reflect all ranged damage back. Only disablers are of any concern...but there are ways around that. A very annoying charname to go against!
    Firetooth (the crossbow, not the dagger) shoots unlimited +4/+5 bolts (for the purposes of what it can deal damage to), depending on upgrade level. That's as high as most weapon types in the game get, so I don't think it's a big deal. In addition, there's no enemy in the game that's naturally immune to +4 weapons (except magic golems, but nonmagic arrows deal with them, and I think the lesser demon lord, which most playthroughs don't fight), and you can defeat Improved Mantle, Absolute Immunity, and Protection from Magic Weapons with Breach, so shortbows and throwing axes do alright as well.

Also worth noting that, when unloaded, the Shortbow of Gesen, deals piercing damage instead of missile damage, so it can hurt some enemies that are immune to every other ranged weapon in the game.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Moonheart There are only a few enemies that require +4 and even fewer that require +5 (I think two)
    edited March 2016
    Alright, @FinneousPJ, but we are speaking of maximizing potential, here.
    Is it truly maximizing potential that to end with ennemies that you can't even wound?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Cloak of the Stars creates +5 darts. Without using an exploit to make them permanent, you can have 18 at once, enough to break through Absolute Immunity and two sets of Stoneskins.

And the Erinne Sling can generate infinite +4 bullets. And an EE item can create Minute Meteors for anyone besides a Wizard Slayer. Ranged weapons do have high enchantment values.
    As an aside, this is one of the reason that I actually prefer BG1 to BG2. Characters and weapons become insanely powerful, and sometimes out of necessity. It's nice to know that in BG1 I can take the Light Crossbow of Speed, some +1 Bolts, and rock 'n roll.
    Moonheart wrote: »
    Alright, @FinneousPJ, but we are speaking of maximizing potential, here.
    Is it truly maximizing potential that to end with ennemies that you can't even wound?

By this logic, and the timing of the lesser demon lord encounter, maces and quarterstaves (if you're a mage) are the only correct weapon choice in the game (they're the only weapon type that can hurt clay golems and have a +5 version available before the lesser demon lord encounter). The truth of the matter is that the enemies you need +5 for are rare and unimportant, and frankly you have party members to deal with them. Considerations of optimality should take into account the whole game, not just edge cases.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Pretty much any warrior can be decent with ranged weapons. Even though most classes and kits aren't quite as good with them as an archer is, don't be afraid to give a warrior a ranged weapon.
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Pretty much any warrior can be decent with ranged weapons. Even though most classes and kits aren't quite as good with them as an archer is, don't be afraid to give a warrior a ranged weapon.

I agree for the most part, and it's certainly true in BG1. The problem is in BG2, where there is access to belts conferring 20+ STR. Since DEX doesn't confer bonus damage to ranged attacks, it becomes harder to justify using ranged weapons as a primary unless its an Archer.

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited March 2016
    If you are going for Kensai, go for daggers as your main weapon:
    Extra APR
    Applies strength damage (axes and hammers don't though it should be fixed in 2.0)
    You can get Boomy dagger rather early

However once 2.0 is here, Hammer will become huge as well, with The Brick being very, very good once it applies STR.

Once STR works however I believe throwing weapons will certainly overwhelm bows.

Slings are quite a good call, despite it'll make you a "big sissy" :wink:
    I wonder how does it count when you use a throwing dagger in your Main Hand, and Crom Frayer in the offhand... does it gives you dual wield penalities to throws?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Moonheart wrote: »
    I wonder how does it count when you use a throwing dagger in your Main Hand, and Crom Frayer in the offhand... does it gives you dual wield penalities to throws?

You cannot equip a throwing weapon and an offhand weapon at once anyway.
    Yeah, in 2.0, you'll be able to put Crom Feyr in the off-hand slot while using a throwing weapon, but it won't actually be equipped. It'll just be sitting there waiting for you to switch to a weapon that can be dual-wielded.