Skip to content

[MOD] Dragonspear UI++ (v2.42)

Comments

• AncientCowboyAncientCowboy Member Posts: 199
    @Woolie_Wool and @Pecca - Well, curiosity got the better of me; and since I have an EET installation that I use specifically for EET/BWS mod testing, I gave it a shot. Set up EET to use the SoD style GUI (setup-EET_GUI.exe), loaded DragonSpear UI++, commented out all of the REQUIRE_PREDICATEs (since it isn't a bgee platform). The core component of DS++ installed okay (only one I tried), but when I tried to launch the game it 'died a quick and silent death'. In other words - it wouldn't launch and didn't pop up any error. I've found that this symptom is usually the result of a missing graphical resource (font, color definition, icon, scroll bar, etc.). So without some significant time investment - the answer is no, it's not currently EET compatible. Sorry.
  • Woolie_WoolWoolie_Wool Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2017
    I've played around with this on a BG1 installation and I'm really impressed but there seems to be a slight...problem with the equipment screen when you've got a dual-wield character who has a bow equipped:

Note the THAC0 details.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    Yeah that is a bug of the original game iirc. Hopefully it gets fixed in the next update.
  • Woolie_WoolWoolie_Wool Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2017
    Does this/will this ever work for BG2? This is definitely the best interface I've ever used.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Noob question. Installed plenty of mods before, no problem. Install this one and it just churns for a second and never opens. Any ideas?
    Sorry, I'm somewhat out of loop from the code now. Hope you get it fixed.
  • KahenrazKahenraz Member Posts: 70
    Is it possible to move the icon that gets drawn on the character portrait for activated spell/item to the far left side and OUTSIDE of the portrait box? Or can this not be customized?
    I don't think that's possible.
  • grisbosskgrisbossk Member Posts: 21
    Great work. I instantly loved it the moment I installed it. Just a quick question, is it possible to move dialogue box to the bottom (like in vanilla game)? Or at least set the default to top right. Oh, another thing, if the NPC has tons of text, you can't see the replies option (forced you to press the corresponding answer number). Brevlik in Elvensong for example.
    That sounds like a bug because the textbox should extend itself. Anyway the dialog window was made to attempt to fix some problems with the 2.0 patch dialog. I expect that the next patch will fix it (pst:ee has a great working original dialog box)
    I would like to add my own tweaks to this. Is it possible to reload the UI (currently making changes to UI.MENU) without restarting the game?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Kahenraz said:

I would like to add my own tweaks to this. Is it possible to reload the UI (currently making changes to UI.MENU) without restarting the game?

Yes, https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/723397/#Comment_723397

However, you should not use the in-game UI editing feature while manually editing UI.menu in a text editor at the same time, it can corrupt the file. The F5(reload) feature should be okay, just not the F11(edit/save) feature. You will still have to leave the current screen(inventory/record/magebook/world/etc...) after pressing F5 for some things to update completely.
    @Pecca

Thank you for creating such a beautiful UI mod. This truly makes BG:EE look stunning.

I don't know much about modding for BG but I do know Lua and was able to tweak your loot filter to act as exclusive rather than inclusive. This helps a LOT when farming loot drops:

https://youtu.be/1hBm-hI99e4
  • grisbosskgrisbossk Member Posts: 21
    @Kahenraz That's absolutely awesome. I noticed that any magical items won't show immediately like vanilla unless you pick up and can see unidentified items in your inventory.
  • beobeo Member Posts: 143
    OK, since EET is pretty much playable, this mod is only thing really missing :) Still waiting on that patch, right?
    Yeah, pretty much.
  • ZirakZirak Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2017
    Hello! Just wanted to say I absolutely adore this UI and just completed a playthrough of BG:EE with it. It's fantastic!

I did have one question - when I started SoD the dialogue window seems to use the small portrait for Corwin for some reason (I've attached a screenshot).

Is there any way of manually adjusting this by overriding Corwin's portrait with a large one somehow? Can SoD NPCs have their portraits replaced by using their name in the standard "portraits" folder?

EDIT: It's doing the same thing with Skie's as well, for some reason. Saving Large and Medium size portaits as CORWINL and SKIEL in the portraits folder didn't correct this. I could be getting their filenames wrong, though.

EDIT2: Hm, just started Chapter 8 and Corwin's portrait now uses the full resolution image. Is it because she's now available as a party member or something similar? Seems this issue is only affecting non-party NPCs with portraits. As a note, Coran was also affected in SoD, though Safana, Rasaad, Dynaheir and Minsc were not.
    Post edited by Zirak on
  • TheMetaphysicianTheMetaphysician Member Posts: 76

Does this/will this ever work for BG2? This is definitely the best interface I've ever used.

I second this question. After using this in BGEE and SoD, it is jarring to go back to other UI in BG2EE. Any way to make this work in BG2EE?
  • DosEquisDosEquis Member Posts: 10
    BUMP..... because well, it's awesome, and we wants it for BG2. We wants it, we wants it!
  • UnionhackUnionhack Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2017
    I launched this with success once and then tried messing with the settings. Checking 'left side menu' made the game launch to just a black screen (though the UI still pops up on the "Boo Will Miss You" dialog from alt+f4). I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling but it still goes to a black screen. What can I do?

EDIT: I edited the M_BG.lua file to un-tick the left side menu option. Still launching to a black screen. This is very frustrating, especially because I would prefer not to go back to the default SoD UI. Please give me some assistance or advice.
    That is strange. Try to uninstall the mod, then go to your document folders and inside the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition folder there, remove the baldur.lua file. That will reset all custom settings, original as well as those added by mods. When you launch the game again, default baldur.lua will be created again, so you can install the mod again. No idea why it happened though, it never happened to me.
  • Dameon2Dameon2 Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2017
    Hey Pecca, haven't chatted in a while! Dunno if you remember me, but long time ago I made a mod for your mod called "Swankified Hud", back wen this mod was called SOD GUI Overhaul.

Firstly I wanted to say the reason i discontinued it was because your newer versions blew what I did out of the water with your beautiful menu bars and everything x3! Absolutely love how the end product turned out!! awesome job!

Was just wondering if you still had a BG2 version of this mod in the works.... I remember some screenshots.. they have mysteriously vanished xD. I know it's a big undertaking, still really hoping you'll do it some day so I can have a full beautiful UI experience across both games x3.

P.S. if you need any help with it let me know, Your UI editing skills are leagues beyond mine, but I know a thing or two, and program in C#, C++ for my job and dabble in LSL, JS, and a bit of python, so I can pick up stuff quickly if you need someone to do some simple stuff to speed things up!
    Hi Dameon2, I do "work" on BG2 version, though it has so far never passed beyond a stage of creating artistic concepts (which I changed radically several times, so there is not much of a real progress yet). But I gather a lot of inspiration as time goes by.
    I'm quite interested to see what next game patches come up with, what I'm really waiting for is a stable/final code base for the UI, which I'll base the mod on.
    Thanks for the offer, I'll remember if I ever need help.
  • franco8737franco8737 Member Posts: 52
    Hi, I just installed standalone bg1ee because of your UI mod. It looks very very nice and I love it so much. Classy and elegant. I hope there will be bg2ee / bgeet version soon. Thank you.
  • franco8737franco8737 Member Posts: 52
    edited July 2017
    Btw, I think I just encountered a problem. There is no 'copy' button for my Mage to copy the spell into spell book and for copying those letter into my journal. Am I missing something?

edit: I thought it caused by other mod I installed, so forget it. Sorry.
    Post edited by franco8737 on
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    This UI is amazing thank you!

I really hope it becomes EET compatible in the future.

I have recently tried the EET version of the games and absolutely love playing them like that. The only draw back is not being able to use this beautiful UI throughout :(
  • ImionaImiona Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2017
    I dont think we will ever see a EET Version of this, you are waiting a Year now for the Patch :p Beamdog should just hire you as a UI Designer
    It is possible this mod will be abandoned without any update, the chosen ratio turned out to be a bit problematic. I am designing a mod with universal resolution compatibility and layout to support more UI skins. Some important functionalities I wish to implement depend on the next patch though.
  • ShardexShardex Member Posts: 11
    Pecca said:

It is possible this mod will be abandoned without any update, the chosen ratio turned out to be a bit problematic. I am designing a mod with universal resolution compatibility and layout to support more UI skins. Some important functionalities I wish to implement depend on the next patch though.

Any news on a Version for BG2. Do you already have a link/pictures of your new project? The Dragonspear++ UI is fantastic and should have been an option in the Enhanced Edition. I would gladly donate you some money, if that would help you.
    Shardex said:

Pecca said:

Any news on a Version for BG2. Do you already have a link/pictures of your new project? The Dragonspear++ UI is fantastic and should have been an option in the Enhanced Edition. I would gladly donate you some money, if that would help you.
    Hi, thanks but all my modding work is for free. :) I'm still working on graphics, whenever I find some free time. I suppose I could release some picture, but it would only be a work-in-progress concept art. Sadly, the upcoming 2.5 patch probably won't include the UI features I was hoping for, so this may push the completion of the mod further down the road.