Skip to content

Say something nice about beamdog or SOD

Since there's been a lot of election year noise drowning out the genuine discussion of the SOD game. A game we waited 20 years to come out (Im assuming "we" meaning people on this site are old school Isometric rpg fans.)

SO since there's been a lot of unhappy people placing the problems from their miserable lives at the feet of a retro rpg game, I think we should say something nice about the game. EVEN IF U HATE THE GAME. OR are foaming at the mouth with homophobia and toxic election year BS.
So again this is a nice things about SOD only. No mean posts about SOD.

My nice thing is:
Skie is such a fun character. Somehow they made a stuck up spoiled brat the most fun likeable character. I just liked every part of the game she was in. She really is written well and in a perfect world she'd end up with her own tv sitcom staring her, minsc, tiax, Coran It's nice that they gave BG1 characters like her more life and better roles.
JuliusBorisovMoradinkaguanaWayniaclolienStummvonBordwehrThacoBell[Deleted User]AerakarIsewein

Comments

• kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    Agree, Skie was fun, too bad she can't be joined in party.

Baeloth NPC is charismatic and fun.

Corwin was good for most part of SOD

Minsc I was happy to hear your new lines and puns

David Warner for the president

yes story was railroad but still fun and offer good tactical challenges

new LOB difficulty is fun
    MoradinJuliusBorisovlolien[Deleted User]
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    The enemy AI in SoD is very well done. And additional difficulty that comes at the Insane and includes not only a damage increase but a change in enemies' behavior is admirable.
    kaguanaGozetalolien[Deleted User]
  • VirelaiVirelai Member Posts: 19
    I haven't had as much fun with a game since BG2EE came out - SoD was most definitely worth the wait. A big thumbs up to the entire Beamdog team.
    JuliusBorisovkaguanalolien[Deleted User]
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I like the furniture in beamdog's office. Reminds me of home... only with less ooze.
    lolien[Deleted User]
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    They recently hired David Gaider. Kickass writer.
    lolien[Deleted User]
  • Diomedes33Diomedes33 Member Posts: 144
    What exactly IS a beamdog anyway?
    [Deleted User]
    BGLover said:

Say something nice about Beamdog or SoD...

I can press the 'Baldurs Gate Siege of Dr...' icon on my desktop and a box pops up and I press play and two seconds (and a mouse press) later I'm in the menu screen, and a couple of seconds after pressing on continue I'm in the Sword Coast.

No discs, no loading screens, no faffing with mods to get the game working on my modern(ish) computer and wide screen monitor. That alone is worth a big thumbs up from me!

You can do that with the GoG version of the old BG games too, actually.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328

M'Khiin! :D

Indeed I agree B)

Also Glint is cool and Minsc and Boo (of course thy will be lost without thee hamster ;) )

I like the fact that they DID do a game in the BG series that add to the story and made a bridge between BG1 and BG2 which isn't easy at all to do.
    AndrewFoleyGenderNihilismGirdlelolien[Deleted User]
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited April 2016
    Rawgrim said:

BGLover said:

I can press the 'Baldurs Gate Siege of Dr...' icon on my desktop and a box pops up and I press play and two seconds (and a mouse press) later I'm in the menu screen, and a couple of seconds after pressing on continue I'm in the Sword Coast.

No discs, no loading screens, no faffing with mods to get the game working on my modern(ish) computer and wide screen monitor. That alone is worth a big thumbs up from me!

You can't press the Baldur's Gate Siege of Dr... icon with the GoG version of the old BG games too. You're limited to BG1 and BG2 (SOA and TOB).

Rawgrim said:

BGLover said:

You can't press the Baldur's Gate Siege of Dr... icon with the GoG version of the old BG games too. You're limited to BG1 and BG2 (SOA and TOB).
    True.

Still. No need for discs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    mf2112Gozeta
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Rawgrim said:

Rawgrim said:

BGLover said:

True.

True that! I'm really appreciating it right now, since I am actually playing the GOG versions.

I would be playing the EEs but my video card burned down and fell into the swamp.
  • acidchalkacidchalk Member Posts: 70
    I like the new area's, really nice looking lava and bats in that lich dungeon, and that brave and the bald line killed me!
    lolien[Deleted User]

Rawgrim said:

Rawgrim said:

BGLover said:

True.

True that! I'm really appreciating it right now, since I am actually playing the GOG versions.

I would be playing the EEs but my video card burned down and fell into the swamp.
    Same here actually. The old versions have aged very very well.
    BelleSorciere
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited April 2016
    Beamdog is a great company with lots of old heroes that has revived some of my favorite games. Though we disagree on the course taken visually as of late, and I have a need of compatibility between platforms that currently is broken. I guess it will be sorted out eventually, however.
    I hope they revive PS:T as well, but in that case: please don't change the characters just because "they don't fit in 2016". They were never meant to fit in 2016. Neither were those in BG.
    All in all: keep up the good work.
    Post edited by fkirenicus on
    Rathenaumf2112lolien[Deleted User]
  • ArgyleArgyle Member Posts: 48
    I am now playing a Shaman from the start, so I haven't even gotten to the new Siege areas yet. I will have to check out that shield+bow thing! Gosh, I always learn something new on these boards. Otherwise, the biggest improvement I noticed is that the NPC's which you meet later in the original game (Alora, etc.) now allow you to manually level them up a bit when joining. This is so much better than having them pre-leveled using skill/proficiency selections that don't compliment the party. As for the Shaman, I am starting to love it now that I have some 4th level spells.
    JuliusBorisovJarrakullolien[Deleted User]
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I love the fact the nearly everything in the UI is customizable.
    lolien[Deleted User][Deleted User]xiaoleiwen
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    I love the new modable UI. I was finally able to fix a longstanding annoyance of mine with the ability rolling screen.

Also, to finally be able to play one of my favorite games properly on mobile devices.

I also think Beamdog has done a nice job on the forum colour scheme ;)
    JuliusBorisovlolien[Deleted User]xiaoleiwen