Skip to content

Sexism in The Original Baldur's Gate?

SleepwalkSleepwalk Member Posts: 30
Before I begin, I recommend that everyone read this article about what the developers and writers of at Beamdog think of Baldur's Gate and where they think the game should go. http://kotaku.com/the-struggle-to-bring-back-baldur-s-gate-after-17-years-1768303595 It'd probably be helpful to read the reaction Baldur's Gate fans had in the comments section as well.

That being said, I'd like to specifically address what was said here by the writer Amber Scott:
If there was something for the original Baldur’s Gate that just doesn’t mesh for modern day gamers like the sexism, [we tried to address that],” said writer Amber Scott. “In the original there’s a lot of jokes at women’s expense. Or if not a lot, there’s a couple, like Safana was just a sex object in BG 1, and Jaheira was the nagging wife and that was played for comedy. We were able to say, ‘No, that’s not really the kind of story we want to make.’ In Siege of Dragonspear, Safana gets her own little storyline, she got a way better personality upgrade. If people don’t like that, then too bad.”
Please read the following without taking it as an concession to any of the details of Amber's claims. I'm just trying to address the logic of her claims.

I wonder if it's possible in Amber Scott's mind for a character to be sexually promiscuous and female without it being sexist. If I had to guess, the answer would be no, which is striking. Why is it bad for a woman to be sexual? Secondly, women who express sexuality or who are sexually promiscuous is something that is seen in the real world so shouldn't there be characters in video games based on these types of women? Thirdly, I wonder if Amber's beliefs here extend to the idea of a character that is male and a pervert? Or a male and sexually promiscuous?

I also wonder if Amber Scott has a problem with the idea of jokes being made at the expense of men in video games. More importantly, however, in an RPG that is supposed to be its own little world with different rules (e.g. magic and dragons exist) wouldn't it make sense for sexism or racism to exist in the way other evils exist in these little worlds? For instance, murder exists in Baldur's Gate. Should that be removed because it's morally wrong? My point is I believe the ideal aim for a RPG is to make it as realistic as possible (without getting rid of fun stuff like magic) and to give players the option of doing what they want. Isn't that the purpose of role-playing games? Isn't that how one creates an interesting and believable world? Look at World of Warcraft: it's all about racism through and through.

As for the details of Amber's claims, isn't it strange that she believes Jaheira is an example of a sexist character? My first impression of the character back when I was a teenager was that she is a strong and independent woman. I actually thought her husband may have been the sexist character! He seemed incredibly weak and whiny. Regardless, just because a character is whiny and weak and male doesn't necessarily mean that character is sexist against men. It just means that character is whiny and weak and male. The time where there might be an issue is if it is a general rule "All or most female characters are weak" or "All or most male characters are weak" then there might be something going on. However! What if the story or imagined world called for that? Would it be sexist then? I'd say no, not in the context of that story or world. There are flawed characters in every world or story. When they're female (or male) that isn't sexism. That's art imitating reality. Imagine a game or story where every single female character (or male) was perfect for the sake of, what, political correctness? Geez, that's sad and boring. I like my characters in videogames as complex as people in real life, thank you.
Post edited by Sleepwalk on

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I wonder if sirens could be perceived as sexist then. and what about the charm spell?

this is some crazy talk. that can of worms should have never been opened.
  • SleepwalkSleepwalk Member Posts: 30
    O_Bruce said:

How many times this has to be discussed on this forum until people are satisfied?

I think it's still worth discussing hence the thread. I also believe I've made some good points and have raised good questions.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    You haven' raised any NEW points or NEW questions. It all was discussed over and over in the middle of shitstorm new people, such as yourself, caused on this forum after Siege of Dragonspear has been released.
    O_Bruce said:

You haven' raised any NEW points or NEW questions. It all was discussed over and over in the middle of shitstorm new people, such as yourself, caused on this forum after Siege of Dragonspear has been released.

No need to get excited. Be off with you.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Khalid, Jaheira, Shar-teel, Safana, and Eldoth aren't particularly strong examples of sexism, even though their negative characteristics are gender-specific. You have to look rather close to see any sexism here.
    edited May 2016

Khalid, Jaheira, Shar-teel, Safana, and Eldoth aren't particularly strong examples of sexism, even though their negative characteristics are gender-specific. You have to look rather close to see any sexism here.

I agree for the most part.

I will say though that I see an inherent problem with looking for negative gender-specific qualities in characters, calling it sexist, and then trying to remove it. This is because sometimes women are nagging. Sometimes men are arrogant. Or sometimes the reverse is true. I see nothing wrong with the idea of there being characters in video games representing these types of people. Just imagine a world where video game developers and writers avoided nagging female characters or arrogant male characters simply because they're seen as politically incorrect.

edited May 2016
    Off with me. It seems like a new dude here, who's only contributions to the community were related to topics already discussed many times over and over again (one of his topics was closed and considered a troll topic at that) , thinks he is relevant here. How cute.

You have to look rather close to see any sexism here.

I agree. I might add you need to WANT to see sexism here to see it. People love to be offended nowadays and actively seeks things to be offended at.
    O_Bruce said:

Off with me. It seems like a new dude here, who's only contributions to the community were related to topics already discussed many times over and over again (one of his topics was closed and considered a troll topic at that) , thinks he is relevant here. How cute.

You have to look rather close to see any sexism here.

I agree. I might add you need to WANT to see sexism here to see it. People love to be offended nowadays and actively seeks things to be offended at.
    I like you Bruce.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    Okay, let's go with another round of full attacking the dead horse.

Just for a few highlights of your post (I'm too tired of this debate to do much more right now)

Is an inhenrently sexual character necessarily bad?
    I'd say no, but the problem is more with a character who would be nothing but sexual. A character that is so one dimensional doesn't seem very realist to me. With the old bg1 npcs having about twenty lines of dialogue, tops, you'd be hard pressed to make them more than one diemensional, though. Thus we have characters such as domineering wife, man-hating feminist, wimpy wuss, greedy dwarf, crazy barbarian and vengeful hunter. And sultry seductress.
    But when the beamdog team went and expanded (some of) these characters in SOD, I think they were entirely right in trying to give these characters more depth, simply because no one is as one-dimensional as the old npcs were. How they developped these characters is ultimately their call : because there was nothing more to Safana than sultry seductress, she could be expanded in any possible way.

As for whether the Realms should have sexism and racism, I think the question is moot, for two reasons :
    _As you said, it is its own little world, which can or cannot include whatever you want from the real world. That is, whatever Ed Greenwood and WotC want.
    _Secondly, it does include that. Elves are basically crazy racist, toward drows for example. And drows are crazy sexist. The question you are asking is should the setting reflect that sexism/racism in some particular story (like Safana's) and that is, ultimately, the writer's call.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Shar-Teel, Eldoth, Skie, and Safana are all gendered negative stereotypes. Possibly Coran also. But everyone in BG1 is a stereotype, because BG1 NPCs have about a dozen lines of total characterization each. There's no room for nuance. I have a hard time being too upset about any of them, but I'm also confused by the people who complain, essentially, that Safana is less of a stereotype now that she has more lines. I mean, of course she is. She has more lines. There's room for her to be more than exactly one thing.

But all that aside, there's definitely sexism in Baldur's Gate. Take, for example, the fact that every single female party member in BG2 has to be rescued. A lot of the men do too, of course, but not every single one. Or the fact that the entire cast of plot enemies in BG1 includes a whopping three women, all of whom are consorts to male villains. That seems like a way bigger deal to me than the fact that some characters with only a few lines are caricatures.
    Chnapy said:

I'd say no, but the problem is more with a character who would be nothing but sexual.

But there are people in the real world that are very sexual. There are people whose lives revolve around nothing but sex. Therefore, I don’t see any problem with them being in a video game.
    Chnapy said:

A character that is so one dimensional doesn't seem very realist to me.

Some people are very one-dimensional, aren’t they? Some people don’t seem to have personalities at all, in fact. Therefore, I don’t see any problem finding these kinds of characters in a video game. I’m all for variety. One-dimensional characters. Two. Three. Four.
    Chnapy said:

But when the beamdog team went and expanded (some of) these characters in SOD, I think they were entirely right in trying to give these characters more depth, simply because no one is as one-dimensional as the old npcs were. How they developped these characters is ultimately their call : because there was nothing more to Safana than sultry seductress, she could be expanded in any possible way.

Giving characters more depth isn’t a problem per se. However, claiming that a character is sexist because they’re so-called “nagging” or overtly sexual is a problem for reasons I’ve already mentioned in my original post.
    Chnapy said:

As for whether the Realms should have sexism and racism, I think the question is moot, for two reasons :
    _As you said, it is its own little world, which can or cannot include whatever you want from the real world. That is, whatever Ed Greenwood and WotC want.

Well of course they can do whatever they want. My point wasn’t to contradict that idea.

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    O_Bruce said:

Sure, that is it. Or possibly other people have actually experienced sexism and racism in the past and are just slightly more aware of it, than random new dude.

I really don't get this attitude, claiming that sexism and racism is a thing of the past.
    1. Marrital rape was legal in Germany still 1997
    2. Female voting became universal in all cantons only in 1991
    3. 13% of US citiziens still disapprove of interracial marriage. In 2000 it was about 33%
    Do you really think all the people holding these opinions just went away or died in that short a time? I have seen active racism and sexism in public and at work, both in subtle way and in an obvious "in your face" way.

@OP:

Obviously it is possible to have promiscious and sensual women, without it being sexist. Hell, Safana still has those traits in SoD. It becomes a problem, when this is basically all that defines the character.

And the "sexism might exist as a bad thing in the realms" things also misses the point. That could justify a female character being treated badly by other characters, but not the game depicting a character in a sexist way.
    edited May 2016
    bengoshi said:

@Sleepwalk I encourage you to always put everything related to each other without missing important paragraphs.

Meanwhile, in the article you quoted and that is well known on this forum, right after the paragraph in the OP goes another one:

“I got to write a little tender, romance-y side quest for Khalid and Jaheira where you could learn a little bit about how their marriage works and how they really feel about each other.”

This small phrase completely illustrates the statement in the previous paragraph, but this phrase is often omitted when referring to this article.

When saying "Jaheira was the nagging wife and that was played for comedy" Amber referred to the following lines by Jaheira in BG1:

(on the Khalid's Death): "Blast it Khalid! You die! I swear you'll never hear the end of it!"

JAHEIRA: Khalid, my dear, 'twould take a sailor to untie that tongue.
    KHALID: Please J-Jaheira, you needn't be so...s-so...
    JAHEIRA: Insufferable?
    KHALID: Yes, that's definitely it!

Source:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/11692/list-of-npc-interactions-banters
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/12045/npc-interaction-and-banter-guide-ok-finished

As you can see, these lines illustrate relations between Jaheira and Khalid in a comedy way, with Jaheira shown as an "insufferable" wife.

So in order to make their relations more deep, the developers created a romance quest for Khalid and Jaheira, so that everyone could see much more about their feeling to each other.

As for Safana, I illustrated her character in BG1 and SoD in a detailed post here - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/760231/#Comment_760231. The developers didn't change her character, they expanded her several lines in BG1 to a fully written character.

Noone in Beamdog ever said that "it is bad for a woman to be sexual". In fact, new SoD lines for Safana are very sexual, as are the new lines for Viconia.

But when the facts are twisted (and the often are) in regards to that Kotaku interview, it creates a situation of negativity, completely unneeded in the first place.

I don't see how this changes anything, honestly. Could you elaborate? I see an attempt to explain away Amber Scott's claim that Baldur's Gate possesses sexism and her attempt to make certain characters more rich (i.e. remove what she perceives as sexism).

I don't have an issue with Amber Scott expanding upon the romance between Khalid and Jaheira... but I do have an issue with her thinking Baldur's Gate possessed sexism and needed to be corrected. Moreover, it's pretty obvious to me that Amber Scott thinks Jaheira's nagging is a sexist stereotype.
    edited May 2016
    bengoshi said:

Sleepwalk said:

I do have an issue with her thinking Baldur's Gate possessed sexism and needed to be corrected.

Amber said that they tried to address, not "correct" the sexism in Siege of Dragonspear. She said there were a couple of jokes at women’s expense, like Safana being just a sex object and Jaheira being shown only as the nagging wife.

They addressed it in SoD and expanded these characters, so that Safana had something more than being just a sex object, and Jaheira showing her love towards Khalid.

So Amber didn't think "Baldur's Gate possessed sexism and needed to be corrected" to the degree many people who refer to that article say.
    Not to be rude or anything but I don't see you making any points. I just see an attempt to split hairs (e.g. "address" versus "correct")... and it's not worth me responding to it. I don't think anything you've written here undermines the points I've made in my original post. The other thing you seem to be doing is just repeating the intentions of Amber Scott... "so that Safana had something more than being just a sex object" but I've already given my opinion on that matter, haven't I? Obviously you disagree and that's OK.
    edited May 2016
    As I understand it, @bengoshi mentioned you missed out important information pieces from article you were quoting. Informations that are giving important context. If have honest intentions, you shouldn't ignore that. Otherwise my dispositon towards you has strong basis.
    Ammar said:

Sure, that is it. Or possibly other people have actually experienced sexism and racism in the past and are just slightly more aware of it, than random new dude.

I really don't get this attitude, claiming that sexism and racism is a thing of the past.

1. Marrital rape was legal in Germany still 1997
    2. Female voting became universal in all cantons only in 1991
    3. 13% of US citiziens still disapprove of interracial marriage. In 2000 it was about 33%
    Do you really think all the people holding these opinions just went away or died in that short a time? I have seen active racism and sexism in public and at work, both in subtle way and in an obvious "in your face" way.
    First of all I wasn't saying anything remotely similar to "racism and sexism are belong to past today". I was saying about very destructive mindset many people have. It's reasonable to deal with racism and sexism where it exist, but not seeking it where it doesn't.

About your three points:
    - It's 2016, not 1997. Almost 20 years of difference - the issue is solved by the law. Of course, there will still be rapist, but currently rape is punishable crime. In Germany too, regardless of circumstances.
    - Again, it's 2016 now. 25 years have passed since then. Not an issue anymore.
    - Statistics are all good, but I would be more interested in the methodology of said statistic, in interpretation of said statistic by group that conducted this research and in the reasons why people answered like they did. It would be also nice from you to state when the 13% held place. It is important for interpretation.

Now, racism, sexism and prejudices will always exist. The thing is, in the western societies the problem does not lies withing society as a whole, but in individuals. In those people you mentioned still exist and live today.

There are places where women are treated like a dirt (any place where sharia is applied) or where they are considered inferior to men (in China, for example), yet people are more focused on sexism in videogames (often having very shallow basis on it) than facing real issues. It should be pretty clear why I think creating another topic for non-existed issue is pointless. Especially since it has been discussed over and over again.
    edited May 2016
    Jarrakul said:

Oh, something to add. I don't mind that Safana's sexual. I do mind that her selection sounds flirt with you, the player. That just smacks of the writers assuming the player is interested in women (and, frankly, this is not by a long shot the only indication of this assumption in BG, or of the different-but-based-on-exactly-the-same-logic assumption that the player/character is male).

Actually, let's examine that a bit more closely. In BG1, I can think of three major instances of overtly sexual female NPCs (Safana, Shoal, Desreta), and two major instances of overtly sexual male NPCs (Coran, Eldoth). Of those, all of the female characters direct their flirtations towards Charname, regardless of Charname's gender, and neither of the male characters do so. Now, I certainly don't mind the idea that a woman could be attracted to both men and women. But when all the sexual women are attracted to the player character, regardless of gender, and none of the sexual men are, you have to think about why that is. Hint: It's because the designers assumed that only straight guys were playing their game. And that, right there, is where the sexism is in Baldur's Gate.

The person playing Baldur's Gate back in 1998 probably was a straight guy though. It was a good assumption. The makers of tampons assume their consumers are female too. Another good assumption. The designer of Barbie also assumes their consumers are little girls. Are these examples of sexism? Nope. They're examples of marketing strategy, common sense, and reality.

Now, the PC gaming audience is more diverse because gaming in general has become more mainstream; however, if I had to guess, the audience is probably still predominately male and straight.
    O_Bruce said:

As I understand it, @bengoshi mentioned you missed out important information pieces from article you were quoting. Informations that are giving important context. If have honest intentions, you shouldn't ignore that. Otherwise my dispositon towards you has strong basis.

Yeah I know what he claimed. I read it too. I also responded to it. Thanks, Bruce. ;)

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    What Amber was hinting at with that article is that the worn out troupes displays in the first game, would not appear in the expansion with several returning characters more fleshed out.

Safana isn't just the woman that flirts with all the male NPCs. She is fleshed out more than what the orginial game provided.

I was playing Baldur's Gate in 1998 and I'm a gay man. I think it's good that game designers are moving away from false assumptions that their consumer base is mostly straight males. Gaming consumers are very diverse, and representation is always good.

First of all, it's literally mathematically impossible for there to be as many gay men playing Baldur's Gate as straight men. 1.8% of men in the US identify as gay. So a gay male Baldur's Gate player would be rare just based on that statistic, unless there is some quality of Baldur's Gate that disproportionately attracts gay men. But even if that were the case, there is such a small number of gay men that straight men would still outnumber them. Based on this statistic, it would be very safe to assume that the majority of men who play Baldur's Gate are straight. Therefore, it'd be wise to consider this information when making design decisions.

So let's not get angry at reality. There's nothing wrong with the majority of Baldur's Gate players being straight men and it makes perfect sense to cater to them more than smaller groups who play Baldur's Gate. That's not to say there shouldn't be something for everyone, but to pretend all groups are of equal size is ridiculous and not sensible from a business perspective.

• OUT51D3ROUT51D3R Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2016
    Sleepwalk said:

That being said, I'd like to specifically address what was said here by the writer Amber Scott:

If there was something for the original Baldur’s Gate that just doesn’t mesh for modern day gamers like the sexism, [we tried to address that],” said writer Amber Scott. “In the original there’s a lot of jokes at women’s expense. Or if not a lot, there’s a couple, like Safana was just a sex object in BG 1, and Jaheira was the nagging wife and that was played for comedy. We were able to say, ‘No, that’s not really the kind of story we want to make.’ In Siege of Dragonspear, Safana gets her own little storyline, she got a way better personality upgrade. If people don’t like that, then too bad.”

Please read the following without taking it as an concession to any of the details of Amber's claims. I'm just trying to address the logic of her claims.

I wonder if it's possible in Amber Scott's mind for a character to be sexually promiscuous and female without it being sexist. If I had to guess, the answer would be no, which is striking. Why is it bad for a woman to be sexual? Secondly, women who express sexuality or who are sexually promiscuous is something that is seen in the real world so shouldn't there be characters in video games based on these types of women? Thirdly, I wonder if Amber's beliefs here extend to the idea of a character that is male and a pervert? Or a male and sexually promiscuous?

You are arguing against "Safana was a sex object in BG1". Re-read what you quoted. The quote says "Safana was just a sex object in BG1". By ignoring that one word, you are arguing against a straw man. I don't think you are -intentionally- strawmanning, but you are, in fact, doing it.

A female character being sexualized isn't inherently sexist. A character having -only- that character trait is. The problem was solved by leaving that trait intact, but adding other traits as well.
    edited May 2016
    deltago said:

You think it is ok to ridicule

Ridicule? Where did I ridicule anyone, let alone minorities, lol? Geez. I hope this is a result of poor reading comprehension and not a character assassination attempt in an effort to divert attention away from the points I’ve made in this thread.
    deltago said:

exclude

Obviously not since I specifically wrote in my last post, “That's not to say there shouldn't be something for everyone”.
    deltago said:

and isolate minorities

I feel like you threw in “insolation” just to round out your character attack against me… Completely baseless and meaningless. I have absolutely no idea what you mean by “isolation” in this context.
    deltago said:

It is not as if developers are not focusing their attention on straight males. They are doing that while still including others while making game design decisions. It really isn't affecting a typical gamers experience with the product.

My post was in response to BelgarathMTH and Jarrakul, so it would help if you would read it in that context.
    I was merely saying straight men were the main audience of Baldur’s Gate back in 1998 and I believe they still are. Consequently, it makes little sense to, for instance, build the game as though 25% of the audience are gay, 25% of the audience are straight, 25% of the audience are transgender, 25% of the audience are bi; and 100% of the audience is extremely left-wing. It just doesn’t make sense any way you slice it. From a gameplay perspective nor from a business perspective. It only makes sense if the goal is to push an agenda... and Amber has admitted that she has an agenda. I would apply the same logic if I were discussing a game that attracted mostly gay men.

And I’m really suppressing myself here because there is more to it than even this. Just Google Amber Scott and SJW to see what I mean. She clearly has a political agenda.

This discussion has been closed.