Skip to content

Favorite Starting Pokemon (1st and 2nd Generation Only)

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
edited July 2016 in Off-Topic
In honor of Pokemon Go! here is a poll

Which starting Pokemon stole your heart?
  1. Favorite Starting Pokemon (1st and 2nd Generation Only)34 votes
    1. Squirtle
      26.47%
    2. Charmander
      26.47%
    3. Bulbasaur
      26.47%
    4. Totodile
        2.94%
    5. Cyndaquil
        8.82%
    6. Chikorita
        2.94%
    7. I'm a peasant and have only played 3rd generation on
        5.88%

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Totodile was cool too. I love water-types. Charmander also a stud.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Feraligatr is awesome. Can't beat Gatr Time.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Squirtle is the best. He looks cool in shades and has a name that lends itself to dirty jokes.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I know there is only one voice, but screw it. I'll say one for every gen I played.

First gen: Charmander. Mainly because I like lizards and let's face it - Charizard is the end goal here. I know, Charizard is overrated but I don't care.

Second gen: Totodile. Crocodiles are my favourite animals, so my choice was obvious.

Third gen: Treecko. First of all, lizard. Second, fast and agile grass-type is rather rare.

Fourth gen: Chimchar. Agan, I like agile pokemon and Chimchar was one of them.

Fifth gen: I don't like any of the starters. They either look punchable, evolve in something punchable or gain typing that was overused time and time again (fire/fighting).

I never played any pokemon games that came out after that.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Hello friend. I regret to inform you that you forgot Pikachu.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

Hello friend. I regret to inform you that you forgot Pikachu.

Yellow version was for cheaters >:S
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Just because you can get some good water and grass type pokemon early in first gen, but takes awhile before you can capture another fire type.
    Blue is the male principle, stern and spiritual. Yellow the female principle, gentle, cheerful and sensual. Red is matter, brutal and heavy and always the colour which must be fought and vanquished by the other two.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Diogenes42 Red is the male colour, the strong masculine colour of blood and war. Blue is the colour of the virgin Mary, the female colour. Yellow is neutral.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Excellent drawing.
  • LordinLordin Member Posts: 30
    First one i chose and i will always choose
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    You made me choose between Bulbasaur and Cyndaquil... :cry:
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    I pretty much abandon the starters as soon as I find my first psychic or ghost or dark type
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I had to pick Chikorita, because of the lack of Pikachu for Yellow version. XD
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    Why do people wonder about this? Pokemon was released when I was twelve . I had a gameboy and the blue edition much like anybody else around this time.

So we have the old players (30+), and as the series gets renewed with a new game every other year, the newer generation playing too.

What I don't get is the current hype with Pokemon Go. Maybe I'm getting too old ^^ (or just annoyed that every other news in the last days was about that, even the big newspapers joined in... )
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,979
    Charmander for no obvious reason...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,743
    Yamcha said:

What I don't get is the current hype with Pokemon Go. Maybe I'm getting too old ^^ (or just annoyed that every other news in the last days was about that, even the big newspapers joined in... )

It's because it's changing our view on games. It looks like a revolution in terms of gaming. Combining gaming and the real world. In my opinion, it shows what future games will be about.

Imagine looking for RPG items (swords, armors, scrolls) in real world in Pokemon Go style, finding them and solving puzzles like in Legend of Grimrock, but in real life. It's mind-blowing even to think about it.
    @JuliusBorisov
    If this is the future, I'll gladly take pass on it :p

I love the outdoors, I love computer games. But I hate being on my smartphone in either cases. It's a crude interface. Hololense or VR would be very dangerous to use outside. This is just a niche'
    I would be surprised if similar games can establish a new genre.
  • BlackorbBlackorb Member Posts: 62
    Charmander because he is awesome i always liked burning all the grass type pokemons so early with ember :p and come on it turns in too charmeleon and then in too Charizard which are in my opinion the 2 most bad ass fire type pokemons.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,743
    @Yamcha I'm old-school myself (imagine I'll still be playing BG in 20 years), but I think no matter what our preferencies are, this will be the future.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Yamcha Prepare to be surprised
    We'll see ;)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    My Bulbasaur was named Happee.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I just downloaded Pokémon Go to see what the fuss was about and picked up Pikachu. Is he a good one? I seem to have collected lots of Weedles, Pigeos and Ratatats or something...

I have no idea what I'm doing as I am too old. I watched a cartoon once of the Dragon Ball but didn't understand it. I did have a tamogotchi though in the 90's so I reckon I can train the lil guys...

Easy level up system. Level 3 already.

But all I can think about is making this game so you walk round meeting Kobolds and goblins and instead of chucking a ball at them, you swipe your sword and chop them in half, collect the treasure and... Wander and kill more stuff...

I'd enjoy it...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Anduin said:

But all I can think about is making this game so you walk round meeting Kobolds and goblins and instead of chucking a ball at them, you swipe your sword and chop them in half, collect the treasure and... Wander and kill more stuff...

I'd enjoy it...

So you want to walk around your city... and kill things.
    Glad you are on the other side of the pond.
    I will not stand for this horrific anti-goblinoid rhetoric.