Skip to content

Can you please revert back to 1.3 versions of the game and make it compatible with SoD?

It's been many months since the official release and numerous voices have been raised against 2.0.

Not every one of us likes the new UI and we would like to play the game which we bought, but then were forced to accept changes which nobody wants.

Can one of the beamdog employees please take the official stance on this matter?

Are we going to get a simple yes or no, or is adressing complaints not an option for beamdog?

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I doubt that they would consider doing that much of a role back, but I agree with you about the new UI. I am still hoping for them to offer an option to use a more classic UI, perhaps unrealistically, as there has been no official response to this request.

This really saddens me. I am left feeling a bit frustrated at how all these new changes were added, out of the blue, in conjunction with the release of SoD.

The only official response that I have seen to the frustration that some players have expressed about this has been that the new UI is moddable. I should not have to learn to mod the new UI in order to try and fix it.

I am also left wondering who requested such changes. The changes were not a small thing here and there. I must have missed the thread requesting such a major overhaul.

To be fair, there are some players that like the new UI, however, the majority of feedback that I have read have not been happy with all or most of it.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    If you don't like the UI, complain about the UI. Don't bring all the good things 2.0 has done, especially for modders, into the equation.

And there is almost no way SoD with pre-2.0 is happening.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I am surprised that no one has requested such a UI mod. It doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult but I have never seen a request in the UI Modding forum or on any of these threads. I personally wouldn't use it, I used the original for years and I remember it's issues. The EE's helped a lot, and 1.3 was ok but still there were things I wanted to change but just couldn't. I vastly prefer Pecca's widescreen mod. Despite the name, it has been reported to work well at as low as 1440x900 resolution.
    @ mf2112 said:
    I vastly prefer Pecca's widescreen mod.

Pecca’s mod is excellent. A very big improvement over what was introduced with patch 2.0. But it is, as most mods are, tailored to the modders preferences. This is absolutely as it should be.

The 2.0 patch made such drastic changes to the UI that I am mystified as to how the developers could fail to consider the possibility that not everyone would like the changes. This is not a new game, but one that has been loved and played by a strong following for over ten years.

Everyone has little things that they would like to change about the game, the NPCs, the UI, all of it. That is what mods can help with. Making the UI moddable was a neat thing to do, but as the new UI is not optional, I don’t believe that players who do not mod were given enough consideration.

Why not give the players who were happy with a more traditional UI the option to have it? If the UI is so easily modded now, then why would they not provide this option? I just don’t understand this.

Players shouldn't have to hope that a modder will make a mod that makes their game more closely resemble the game as they have known it. Not every player is a modder, or even uses mods.

This subject repeatedly comes up and many here tend to disregard the posters concerns. I would just like you to consider the fact that they are not alone. Do a search for discussions that people have had about this on places other than this forum.

One of the reasons that I feel so strongly about this is because I truly believe that this can have a negative effect on the longevity of the BGEE games. It breaks my heart every time I read a post about someone asking about these “new enhanced editions” and see people telling them not to bother.

Over and over the 2.0 UI is mentioned. Every time an old BG player loads up one of the new EEs and cringes over the new UI, it weakens the longevity of the game.

Of the people who like the changes, I would like to know how many like them just as they are, without using a mod to change them? There is a reason why something like Pecca’s mod is so popular. There are a lot of people who played the games in the old days, but not all of them are modders.
    @Ravenslight Good points, and I hope I have not implied or stated any casual disregard for other people's viewpoints or their concerns on this issue. I have read a great many threads here during that time and since and my honest feeling is that a not overwhelming majority were in favor of the 2.0 UI changes then. I saw thread after thread come up about it, but the number of people posting in favor or it and supporting by my admittedly unscientific estimations were somewhat higher overall than the number of people saying to roll the GUI back to the 1.3 condition. Keep in mind this was when 2.0 was in beta.

Almost unanimously though the feeling I recall was that the flavor with the parchment style and all was too modern and wasn't right, and Beamdog responded by working with 00zim00 and the release 2.0 UI was a lot closer to what 1.3 was. Not exact, and still needing work imho especially with the armor class and thaco placement, but better. Here is 00zim00's thread with some screenshots. of new and old.

After that, most of the threads and posts requesting a rollback to 1.3 seem to have died down, to me at least. As people, even older players like me :) , have learned more about the new features in 2.x, support seems to have increased. The mention of 2.x is not uniformly negative. Some of the discussions around have gotten negative unfortunately. :(

2.x dramatically increased the longevity to me of a game that was becoming somewhat stale. If it weren't for customizable character sheets and indeed the whole UI, I might have played SoD once or twice to get the new NPC's but it was becoming gradually easier for various things to grab my attention away from my latest playthrough of BG so that might have been it for some time. Now I am not just excited about playing SoD, but BG1 and BG2 as well.

Maybe you should make a poll to see what the prevailing feeling is here? I don't believe Beamdog is going to roll back the 2.0 changes or make a GUI alternative at this point but you might be able to get a modder to produce the BGEE 1.3 UI mod using the original character and inventory sheets if enough people indicate they want it as an option.

You have seen Kerozevok's BG2EE UI to BGEE mod right?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I've been playing the BG games for close to 15 years now, I will admit to really not liking the 2.0 UI for a some time; but it has been growing on me more and more after playing with it for awhile. I would find it hard to go back at this point.
    @mf2112
    I appreciate your thoughtful response.

mf2112 said:
    After that, most of the threads and posts requesting a rollback to 1.3 seem to have died down

As have the posts of people who were excited about the game.

On this forum alone, a quick search for, patch 2.0 or revert back to 1.3, will produce many threads started by people frustrated with the changes.

Many have solved the problem for themselves by reverting to a beta version of 1.3 from somewhere like Steam. Others, like myself, bought the CD version 1.3 of the game as a temporary fix.

Still others just got tired of waiting and went away. It is this last group that concerns me the most. The ones who love the game, but aren’t obsessive about it like many of us who continue to frequent this forum. I don’t believe it is realistic to think that we represent the majority of Baldur’s Gate players.

I feel that the fact that people like the OP here are continuing to bother to start these threads some three months after the release of 2.0 should say something to the developers.
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    The UI is not perfect at all, however I honestly believe it did need updating as if SoD was to compete on any level with modern UIs then the existing interface had to change. Not only design but the functional elements 'under the hood' too.

Yes - there are things that could work better, and there are bugs. I think Beamdog have tried to make a workable and more modern solution whilst opening up the UI for users to further change it themselves (something which the community are known for - In fact, I assume they expected the UI to be modded and concentrated on facilitating that).
    In that respect I think Beamdog have done an admirable job of trying to retain the classic feel, whilst updating the look and function of the UI to modernise it.

I think it's also worthwhile saying that people that like the new UI aren't as likely to post about it. You are entitled to decide what you like or what you don't like and it is a fully valid response either way. But if you don't like the UI then it is an emotional response you are having - you are UNHAPPY about it.
    However, if you don't mind it, or it has grown on you, then you haven't had that emotional response. In fact, you barely gave it a thought and you've already moved on because it's not an issue for you. It's only when things are a problem that they stay with you or you think about them.

For example, many psychological studies have shown that negative things impact you more than the equivalent positive thing because they are emotional responses, eg losing 50 dollars makes you feel worse than the happiness you would feel from finding 50 dollars.

I think that Beamdog would be crazy to revert the UI now - they've spent however many manhours working on it and to revert now would mean that time, effort and money were lost - unless it had seriously impacted sales (which I am not aware of any evidence suggesting) that option wouldn't even be on the table.

I feel sorry that the change has upset users that still yearn for the old UI, but I would also say that if the demand for a reverted UI is as high as suggested that somebody and some point will make it happen.
    @Mr2150 said:
    But if you don't like the UI then it is an emotional response you are having - you are UNHAPPY about it.

Just to be clear here. Are you suggesting that having an emotional response is out of place when judging whether or not you like something about a game? If so, I could not disagree more. Popularity of games is very closely tied to how the game makes people feel. If it doesn’t make you feel, happy, sad, excited, powerful, or whatever, people don’t play it.

Mr2150 said:
    However, if you don't mind it, or it has grown on you, then you haven't had that emotional response. In fact, you barely gave it a thought and you've already moved on because it's not an issue for you. It's only when things are a problem that they stay with you or you think about them.

Exactly! :) I would agree that if you are not bothered by something like this new UI, have no emotional response to it, you are more likely to move on quickly.

My point is that many people have had a negative response to it. I realize that if you have had no such negative response, it may be harder to understand why others do. But suggesting that their “emotional response” is not valid because you yourself have had no such response is not fair.

I personally am not suggesting that they revert. I am suggesting that they give players the option to use a different UI. If modders are capable of making such a mod, then certainly the developers are capable of adding this option, if they chose to.

And whether or not they ever get it, customers like the OP, certainly have the right to ask for it.
    edited July 2016

Just to be clear here. Are you suggesting that having an emotional response is out of place when judging whether or not you like something about a game? If so, I could not disagree more. Popularity of games is very closely tied to how the game makes people feel. If it doesn’t make you feel, happy, sad, excited, powerful, or whatever, people don’t play it.

No - I didn't mean to imply that. I meant that the emotional response is perfectly valid and fair, but you only have that emotional response when you don't like something.

Edit - for example, I can remember playing other games and not liking them solely because I found the UI confusing or frustrating, or whatever - but I cannot remember ever playing a game and liking it solely because the UI was good. You forget the positives and only remember the negatives.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    To me, the 1.3 character record felt more like a PnP character sheet with row upon row of info - which I really liked since PnP is my roots.

The 2.x character UI feels more like a CRPG sheet which is fine, too. Like many of Beamdog's changes, I can see the rationale to appeal to a WoW audience. It would be great if the character record was toggleable (is that a word?) for the old-timers.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    There are a large number of posts on the IWD forum impatient for that game to be updated to 2.x.

So it's not true that there are not many posts in favour of the update.

As for me, I think the new interface is a vast improvement over the old one.
    @Mr2150 said:
    No - I didn't mean to imply that. I meant that the emotional response is perfectly valid and fair, but you only have that emotional response when you don't like something.

I also have an emotional response when I do like something. Like when I first heard about Beamdog’s plans to make an enhanced edition of the Baldur’s Gate games. Me and so many other people, that when this site first went live, it crashed from the overwhelming number of people who immediately flocked here.

There are many, many people who feel very passionately about these games.
    Yes - you may have an initial emotional response to something positive. But that response doesn't stay with you. The emotional response to something negative is stronger and stays with you for much longer.

Both responses are perfectly valid. It's like I said, losing 50 dollars makes you feel worse than the happiness you would feel from finding 50 dollars.

@Mr2150 said:

I also have an emotional response when I do like something. Like when I first heard about Beamdog’s plans to make an enhanced edition of the Baldur’s Gate games. Me and so many other people, that when this site first went live, it crashed from the overwhelming number of people who immediately flocked here.

There are many, many people who feel very passionately about these games.

Why not go ahead and make a poll thread then? If you feel that a majority of people do not like the 2.0 changes, then if a lot of people answer that way something will be done, either by Beamdog or modders will step up and produce different UI skins for each version of the game.
    @mf2112 said:
    Why not go ahead and make a poll thread then? If you feel that a majority of people do not like the 2.0 changes, then if a lot of people answer that way something will be done, either by Beamdog or modders will step up and produce different UI skins for each version of the game.

This misses my point.
    What I have tried to express in my earlier posts here is that the people who frequent this forum are only a portion of BG players. The modders and the ones most satisfied with what Beamdog has done.

How would any such poll taken here, represent the people that I have been talking about? The ones that only stop in from time to time. Possibly making a post as this OP has done, then moving on. A high percentage of them would never even see such a post. Unless of course such a post were to be stickied, highly unlikely. :) And even then, many never make it to this forum at all.

The responses of the frequent forum posters who have posted in this thread, and others like it, already show what response such a poll would have here. Meanwhile, the popularity of the EE editions is also being decided outside of this forum.

I have been pulling for Beamdog ever since they first began to make these games. I am not a trouble maker with nothing better to do. I very much want Beamdog to succeed and to continue to make this type of game.

I honestly think that it is in their best interest to at least consider how some choices might have had a negative impact, not only on the Baldur’s Gate games, but their reputation going forward.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I have a very negative emotional response to 2.0, not just because of what I've seen and heard of the UI but because I felt that it was forced on me when all I wanted to do was buy and play SoD.
    For me there would have been much better continuity if they had 'completed' the saga first in 1.3 and then released the 2.0 patch - thus giving us the option to choose which version we want to use.
    As it is, I won't be able to play the complete saga until I can afford to buy a new computer - simply because (despite what Beamdog said 'on the box') 2.0 has different system requirements to 1.3.
  • KampfKaninchenKampfKaninchen Member Posts: 139
    Yep, couldn't agree more with what @Ravenslight so gently expressed.

Also, there was already a poll from OP...20% were in favor of simply having the possibility to play 1.3, not even considering if SoD could be played on 1.3 though.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/58555/would-you-like-to-have-the-option-to-play-1-3-20-or-any-older-version-of-the-game

The way I see it, OP simply wants an official answer.

And to be honest, what Beamdog did with the UI is atrocious. Even you guys here mention, that the vanilla 2.0 UI is actually already modders work, because the UI in 2.0beta was even worse.

2.0 UI has no flavor at all, it's pure function over design.

To make matters worse, if you look in the moddingsection at Soulmarine GUI mods (which unfortunately will probably never be completed), even a lot of devs said how well that was done and that UI feels like an enhancement. Why noone at Beamdog took inspiration from that?

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/36151/soulmarines-bg-ee-wood-gui#latest
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/36154/soulmarines-iwd-ee-frostwood-gui

Also, the UI modding doesn't seem to be that simple at all, from what I gathered at some quick glances the forum.

And to be even more frank, since they don't even bother to make the 15year old BG2 soundsets/text for german, polish, spanish (and i guess french and italian) players available, I doubt that they will ever do something about the UI, no matter how many potential customers are dissatisfied with that.

Ravenslight is exactly on spot, that a lot of people simply don't even bother anymore to try to voice their opinion, since it's absolutely pointless.

Add to that the changed sys requirements.

How anyone can so vehemently object the request to simply have the possibility to play 1.3 is for me just absurd and inane.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

The way I see it, OP simply wants an official answer.

That's the way I see it, too. I just thought it was an especially pointless request. We shouldn't need an official statement to tell us that the train has left the station; we all watched it leave.
    edited July 2016
    Dee said:

The UI in v2.0 definitely needed more time in the oven, so to speak; at the moment our energy is being spent fixing bugs and getting the expansion ready for iOS and Android, but we haven't ruled out the possibility of revisiting the UI design at a later point.

@Dee Funnily enough, you just revealed the underlying problem you spoke of.
    There is no artist at Beamdog responsible for the UI, if those same people are atm occupied with fixing bugs. That's exactly how the 2.0 feels, a functional, technical UI made by programmers, but no from an artist.

Edit: And ofc that there is no explanation, why customers, who bought from Beamdog directly, most likely with the intention of actually supporting the devs, are now redirected to steam, if they want to play 1.3.
    What's the matter with that, why not make available in the beamdog launcher?

@joluv OK, fair enough. But then I hope you don't mind, that a lot of customers leave the station aswell, because that train slammed it's doors right before their eyes and there is no other scheduled train to wait for.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

Edit: And ofc that there is no explanation, why customers, who bought from Beamdog directly, most likely with the intention of actually supporting the devs, are now redirected to steam, if they want to play 1.3.
    What's the matter with that, why not make available in the beamdog launcher?

That's a technical issue; Steam offers more robust branching within the client, which is something that our client doesn't currently support. We're aware that handing out a Steam key isn't the ideal solution, but in our estimation it's better than not being able to play the game at all.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited July 2016
    bleusteel said:

To me, the 1.3 character record felt more like a PnP character sheet with row upon row of info - which I really liked since PnP is my roots.

The 2.x character UI feels more like a CRPG sheet which is fine, too. Like many of Beamdog's changes, I can see the rationale to appeal to a WoW audience. It would be great if the character record was toggleable (is that a word?) for the old-timers.

I always thought the classic BG character sheet felt like someone wrote a character sheet on a sheet of loose-leaf paper. Every pre-printed character sheet I used in PnP had specific spots for important info like saving throws. There's little such organization in the "text blob". Even the headings in the blob don't always make sense, e.e. a bunch of stuff like THAC0, Lore, and Reputation were put under the heading of "Proficiencies". No real rhyme or reason as to the order of the text blocks in the blob. You just scroll up and down searching for the bit of info you want.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523

bleusteel said:

I always thought the classic BG character sheet felt like someone wrote a character sheet on a sheet of loose-leaf paper. Every pre-printed character sheet I used in PnP had specific spots for important info like saving throws. There's little such organization in the "text blob". Even the headings in the blob don't always make sense, e.e. a bunch of stuff like THAC0, Lore, and Reputation were put under the heading of "Proficiencies". No real rhyme or reason as to the order of the text blocks in the blob. You just scroll up and down searching for the bit of info you want.
    There were pre-printed sheets??? ;-)

Copies were 10¢ each at the Walgreens. My dollar allowance wouldn't go far at that rate.

I had many, many spiral notebooks stuffed with characters and ideas, so the classic BG character sheet up to 1.3 was very relatable.

BG is a living thing at this point. I'm so grateful people are putting effort into keeping it alive (modders, Beamdog, etc.) and fresh. The way I look at it, you gotta swing at a lot of balls to get a few home runs. I hope Beamdog keeps swinging for the bleachers.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,178
    mf2112 said:

I vastly prefer Pecca's widescreen mod. Despite the name, it has been reported to work well at as low as 1440x900 resolution.

It's not called that for quite some time. The latest (and final) name is "Dragonspear UI++". :)

Anyway I too think that going back isn't probable, even as an option. The early v2.0 post from the developers were talking about "paying technological debt", that's the answer to the why it was made in the first place. They went with a vision, which is a good thing. But the vision so far isn't very cohesive, which needs to change if "revisiting the UI design at later point" should introduce some meaningful steps forward from the current point. I think a lot more people would be okay with the new GUI, not only if it had more time in the oven, but also if it had a guy with a complex vision as to how it should look and act from the beginning. And the example of changing the record screen last minute before releasing the v2.0 patch only proves there isn't such guy. Other than that BD has all talents they need.
    @Dee No offense, because afaik you are just the community manager and a spokesperson, or to to say it more bluntly, you are doing the propaganda:

That is a nonsense explanation. All you had to do is to make a seperate button to download a 1.3 version. Not in a downgrade/upgrade sense. Complete download. It's not rocket science.

(I also have a hardtime believing, that if you guys at beamdog are capable of using the steam version selection, you couldn't make it work on your own launcher. Since after all it's you the devs, who are responsible for how and which files have to be altered by down/upgrading.)

And I see no compelling reason, why SoD by absolutely all means would need the 2.0 gui

And as BelgarathMTH said; for the reliability of polls on this forum, have a look here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/59793/der-deutsche-dub-wie-haetten-sies-denn-gern

a grand total of 8 people took part in that poll.

Now, in each occasion about 50k people alone on youtube watched the german gamestar review and following talk about the SoD expansion. And ofc those are just a fraction of potential customers.
    That should tell you smth about the potential you guys completely wasted. It is really no suprise, that the common advice for german players is to either completely ignore your products or at best get them at 50%/75% discount at a steam sale.