Skip to content

What's happening to Beamdog?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    AdulGenderNihilismGirdleArdul
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

Beamdog not attending GenCon and then Dee's departure gave me "a bad feeling about this." It made me concerned for the company and the future of IE community. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I hope I am.

I know the feeling. I used to be optimistic about Beamdog's future; then I was forgiving; then I was despairing. Now I don't care. :)
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Just a thought: my pals used to play BG back in the 90ies with excitement and were well informed about computer gaming and all. We then grew up, focus shifted, jobs, kids, houses, ... - many of us still play games when they find time, but we don't read magazines, blogs, websites etc about gaming, we just play what falls on our tables or sneaks into our attention by chance, be it something new or something old, it does not matter that much.

When I met some old friends, last year, I told them about the EEs and that I'm still playing that game - none! of them had heard about it before, some were immediately interested and bought it, some found time to play it and even beat it (with a time budget of few hours a week that's good :). But as said, none of them had noticed the EEs of one of their favourite games if I hadn't told them.
    So I think there is potential in marketing, but your nostalgia audience may not necessarily be where you'd expect them to be. Hard to find them, maybe by using social networks and sharing campaigns for some reward?
    JuliusBorisovsparkleavCalmar
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

3) We are pushing back our next release

Nooooooooo! :(
    AnduinCrevsDaak
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353

I'd rather they push it back and get it right. I'm happy to hear that, in all honesty! I wish No Man's Sky had pushed their release back a couple months tbqh (and I'm way happier with that game than a lot of people seem to be lmao)

It gives me faith in Beamdog and @TrentOster to know they and he are willing to make sure the end result is something they can be proud of and we can be excited about!
    JuliusBorisovsparkleavCrevsDaak
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

I'd rather they push it back and get it right. I'm happy to hear that, in all honesty!
    I agree with the sentiment. Really I do. But at this point I'll also say ID:EE patch has been pushed so far back it's fallen off the cliff, into the ocean, drowned and has been eaten by T'leth.
    catsarekacamp
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Mr2150 said:

DADvertising and ProMUMtion, @BelegCuthalion ?

Absolutely. Maybe burning money to hAve adverts in baby magazines is way to go ... Desperate? kids overkill? Need an escape? Your friends from the past are still around to visit in faerûn* - enhanced and alive!
    * Just avoid aerie, she's giving you another bundle of joy ...
    Skatansparkleav
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

I'd rather they push it back and get it right. I'm happy to hear that, in all honesty!
    I agree with the sentiment. Really I do. But at this point I'll also say ID:EE patch has been pushed so far back it's fallen off the cliff, into the ocean, drowned and has been eaten by T'leth.
    I think they are waiting to get all the 2.x patches finalized. IWDee seems to be their most ppolished product and waiting to get all the kinks out by seeing what problems crop out in the BG releases probably has something to do with that.
    GenderNihilismGirdlerorikonAdul
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    I stand with @The_Cheeseman on this! The cheese may stand alone, but never let the same be said of @The_Cheeseman!
    The_CheesemanJuliusBorisovAnduinArcanis
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688

When I met some old friends, last year, I told them about the EEs and that I'm still playing that game - none! of them had heard about it before, some were immediately interested and bought it, some found time to play it and even beat it (with a time budget of few hours a week that's good :). But as said, none of them had noticed the EEs of one of their favourite games if I hadn't told them.
    So I think there is potential in marketing, but your nostalgia audience may not necessarily be where you'd expect them to be. Hard to find them, maybe by using social networks and sharing campaigns for some reward?

I myself only discovered the EE by chance when, during a break in paper writing in 2012, I felt rather nostalgic and did a Google search on Baldur's Gate.
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 207
    @TrentOster

Is the reduction of contractor expenses and LadyRhian going M.I.A. on 20th of May connected? If not, whatever happened to her, and why no new moderator has been appointed to the Roleplaying forum in her 3 months absence?
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    If there is an issue in any of the forums please let any of the current mods know. You can PM any of us or use the flag in the problem post.

I can't speak to LadyRhian, but on this and other forums I have been a mod for it is a volunteer basis. I do look at the role-playing forum as well as many others and I didn't see spam so moved on.

I just started a new job at my current company so I will be busy for a couple months but I will try to make more time in there, maybe try to start a game. I used to enjoy DMing in my group of friends tabletop games until we all ended up moving away. No promises, RL is tight right now but maybe I can work something in.
    mlneveseNonnahswriterJuliusBorisovFaydark
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2016
    Both her and her father were going through some health problems. All we can do is wait for her to come to the forum and tell us what happened.

Concerning the moderation of the Role Playing forum, moderators are not limited to a single section of the forum. If any problem happens contact one of us or use the report function and it will alert all of us.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    mf2112NonnahswriterJuliusBorisovAnduin
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059

With regards to "Project Beartrap", that died a long time ago. We tried to do a free to play concept and we just didn't have the will to embrace the micro-transaction economic model. Something about optimizing multiple compulsion loops just made us feel dead inside. We made the call to kill Beartrap in 2015.

Gah! I am mortified to learn that you have even considered such an abomination -- and very relieved that you have abandoned it.

Charge me $40 for an honest new game with good writing (and another $20 or two for well written DLCs). Just please don't waste your time and my time with such unholy contraptions.

Beamdog has accumulated some hard earned trust. No one here would want it go down the path of those despicable companies that are now blacklisted by their former fans.
    catsarekacampLAZERDOG