Skip to content

What's happening to Beamdog?

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Trent dropped by!

Wait... Huge rumour mill build up! I love making huge assumptions on the very smallest of hearsay!

1 B I G P R O J E C T

Baldur's Gate Next? (oh please oh please oh please)

1 middleish project

PST:EE? (oh please oh please oh please)

1 small project

Android and Ipad port of 2.2? (oh please oh please oh please)
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Thanks for the reassuring message, Trent! I can't wait to learn more about the projects. :smiley:
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Thanks for the response Trent. It's uncomfortable when devs go silent so when you not only respond, but make an informative post to boot, it's very reassuring and grants a neat optimism buff. Does for me at least.
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    @TrentOster thanks for the update! My money's been set aside, Captain o>

I'm really looking forward to know what you guys are working on!
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002

Adul said:

My guess is:
    large = new game
    medium = iOS / Android port
    small = patch 2.4

That would leave out IWD:EE 2.x :disappointed:

I was looking forward to a shaman/barbarian run through IWD...
    I was just guessing. But even if I'm right, that could still happen for example after 2.4 is released.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    That insightful only meant that I found insightful you were preparing a shaman/barbarian run through IWD. It's insightful for me to see what people think.
  • DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173
    "laying off four staff" certainly sheds light on the recent departures of a rather particular hue...doesn't sound at all like a natural desire for pastures new on their part...
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

That insightful only meant that I found insightful you were preparing a shaman/barbarian run through IWD. It's insightful for me to see what people think.

Yeah, that part of my comment was tongue-in-cheek. Hence the wink emoji.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Danathion said:

"laying off four staff" certainly sheds light on the recent departures of a rather particular hue...doesn't sound at all like a natural desire for pastures new on their part...

The four layoffs could include team members other than the four losses we know about (Amber, Andrew, Dee and Bee).
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    And let us know when do you finally bring MCA in. Any time, you know? :p
    It's strange to hear that Beamdog laid off this many people as part of a business strategy. I'm no expert by any means, but I know that other game studios I follow have been focusing on building a strong and stable team of reliable people, and my impression of Beamdog has been the same.

One could argue that lay-offs are sometimes inevitable and that some people just don't work out for the company, but from as much as I saw from the efforts of at least Andrew and Dee (if indeed they were laid off), I didn't think the work they did could be described as anything other than excellent.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

1) Wasn't the "lesson learned" from BGEE and BG2EE 1.0-1.2 not to ship buggy code before its ready? IWDEE was supposed to set the new model, i.e., shipping a product when it was ready. It was sad to see that reverted.

I mean, I wasn't going to say it, but we've been getting that "we learned our lesson from our last poor launch" line from Oster since the PAX before BG2EE launched. Must be quite a lesson if it hasn't sunk in after three years.

2) As sad as it is to see Beamdog team members go, I get that writers like Amber and Andrew would be let go at this point. The game is written and shipped. If David Gaider has decided that he wants to bring in new writing staff (for whatever reason), it makes sense that their positions end.

Foley and Scott (... Scott Foley?) have both said multiple times that it was their choice to leave, rather than having been let go. I agree the timing's incredibly suspicious, but there's no reason not to take them at their word, especially since the end result is the same any way you slice it, Gaider's already put together his new team.

Dee's departure (and the PR/Marketing side of Amber's position) makes the least sense to me. SoD is only a few months post-release, the tablet versions are still in development, the community is actively trying to make suggestions to improve the v2.x experience, and Beamdog's public "face" is gone. (No offense to @JuliusBorisov!)

I also don't understand not having someone to step into Amber's PR/Marketing role. When SoD on iOS is ready, how will you market it? And skipping GenCon, when you just had your most important release this year? That makes no sense.

Ehh, I have to question whether it makes that much of a difference. The Familiar and the Beamblog were both pretty much abandoned even before Amber left; WotC is pushing the Neverwinter MMO; nobody is talking about SoD outside this forum and RPG Codex (not that that particular cesspool is in any way helpful). Beamdog's marketing has been DOA for a good long while, it doesn't seem to have hurt them in the long run.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited September 2016
    Cahir said:

And let us know when do you finally bring MCA in. Any time, you know? :p

EDIT: Ermmm, forgot Adam Yauch had passed away...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited September 2016
    deltago said:

Start giving us a positive outlook. Introduce the new writers. Give us a tidbit of what they have done in the past.

I really think there needs to be a period of transition, as I have already said. People who were responsible for certain things left. As Trent has said, a new plan has been developed to ensure the company can deliver products they will be very proud of. This plan needs time to come real. Of course, there're parts of this plan devoted to PR and Marketing. It's just that things don't happen at once. Imagine there're documents that need to be drafted, it doesn't happen in one day or even in several weeks.

And sorry, but I can't agree that the Familiar and the Beamblog "were both pretty much abandoned even before Amber left". During the end of 2015 and the start of 2016 a lot of blog entries have been published, they have been a source of information about company news, and a valid one. The Familiar has been very well recieved and has let everybody find out about different details of SoD production. It had invaluable interviews and was useful. It's just so that when somebody puts so much own effort into something, puts soul into it, it's not easy to substitute by other people.
    Ah, okay. That clears things up quite a bit. Thanks, Andrew!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

deltago said:

Start giving us a positive outlook. Introduce the new writers. Give us a tidbit of what they have done in the past.

I really think there needs to be a period of transition, as I have already said. People who were responsible for certain things left. As Trent has said, a new plan has been developed to ensure the company can deliver products they will be very proud of. This plan needs time to come real. Of course, there're parts of this plan devoted to PR and Marketing. It's just that things don't happen at once. Imagine there're documents that need to be drafted, it doesn't happen in one day or even in several weeks.

And sorry, but I can't agree that the Familiar and the Beamblog "were both pretty much abandoned even before Amber left". During the end of 2015 and the start of 2016 a lot of blog entries have been published, they have been a source of information about company news, and a valid one. The Familiar has been very well recieved and has let everybody find out about different details of SoD production. It had invaluable interviews and was useful. It's just so that when somebody puts so much own effort into something, puts soul into it, it's not easy to substitute by other people.
    Well this is where we disagree (which is ok). If things were planned properly, this transition could have been hidden or at least blurred with some distraction.

Trent's message should have been posted on Thursday, right after the lay offs instead of having to hear it through a goodbye of the most vocal person on the development team and after the community starts asking, what the hell is up?

That announcement could have had something in it to distract the community while the transition finishes. Instead, we have our own questions with just a vague response and nothing to digest except our own doubts and hopes.