Skip to content

You can't change people

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
"Sometimes you have a great idea that you expect others to take up, but you forget their limitations, situations and backgrounds. They have not worked to deserve this idea as you have, you are only in the same boat by accident, and the bark of the tree of life may be just too thick around the core. Let go."

Discuss.

Comments

• TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Amen.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    for some reason I'm imagining sitting in a canoe with a confused guy who's in a bathrobe and eating a bagel while we're paddling around on the earths core and looking up at an enormous tree wishing there was a way through....
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    But I CAN change people!

All I need is a electric saw, some needles, and a couple of thousand volts of electricity!
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Idea
    chimeric said:

"Sometimes you have a great idea that you expect others to take up, but you forget their limitations, situations and backgrounds. They have not worked to deserve this idea as you have, you are only in the same boat by accident, and the bark of the tree of life may be just too thick around the core. Let go."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMnx8bffbcI
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    I think that you can not change people, you can manipulate people, and who controls the media can manipulate much larger groups of people to a much larger extent, even if even in a couple there can be a lot of manipulation sometimes.
    But manipulation is not a real change.
    Situations can change people, and situations can eventually be created to have people change.
    People, if not exposed to extreme situations like an a war, change when they are ready to change, the only thing that we sometimes can do is to act as catalyst to speed a little that change. If they are ready to change. and most of the times this just happens, and we are even not aware of it. Only very few people that I have met had the ability to act as catalyst at will, while I met many manipulators.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    TheElf said:

Look on the bright side: we're all changing all the time. Physically there's a very real sense in which you're not the same person you were years ago. It's like every time you sleep, you die and are replaced by someone new. Sleep tight.

The best part is that I GET ALL HIS STUFF!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

TheElf said:

Look on the bright side: we're all changing all the time. Physically there's a very real sense in which you're not the same person you were years ago. It's like every time you sleep, you die and are replaced by someone new. Sleep tight.

The best part is that I GET ALL HIS STUFF!
    Hah! Loser! Now I get all your stuff!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I changed my nephew's diaper once.

Does that count?
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    deltago said:

Does that count?

Yes.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    deltago said:

Does that count?

In a few decades you may even have to change your own!
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited September 2016
    And eventually he will come to the point that his/her nephew will have to do it...

EDIT life is indeed a circle, but no one did demonstrate that we can turn around more than a single time :smiley: