Skip to content

They won't join but you wish they would.

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Shandyr said:

@Quartz

Quartz said:

My sister says "all the cute monsters," such as Nexlit the Xvart, Korax the Ghoul, or Ratman the Kobold.

Give your sister an "agree" from me. And a "Like".

But help me out here: Who is Ratman the Kobold?

And another one: Ruffie or what was its name? The dog you had to fetch for a "kid" named Albert.
    Would have liked Ruffie as an animal companion, that is friendly and follows me everywhere as long as I carry the toy.
    Ya it was Ruffie.

Ratman is the Kobold in the Baldur's Gate sewers. He's a Kobold Shaman, the only one of his kind in BG1.
    Anduin said:

I always felt like taking Biff the Understudy under my wing...

You can sometimes. I remember I used NearInfinity to do something petty, I think it was changing Xan's (lvl 2) hit points from 6 to 8, and it glitched him for some reason. So I would say "hey join my party" and Biff the Understudy was like "okay pardner!! hyuk hyuk hyuk" and he joined. 10s in every stat, Level 1 Fighter. Yeah ... great.
  • waardeniuswaardenius Member Posts: 58
    stygga said:

IDK if it's a bug.. but in Baldur's Gate thieves guild, if you do the home invasion questline for that one thief, then at the end of the main thieves guild quest you kill the ambassador mage who attacks you before the cutscene, biff the understudy pops up in his place for the dialogue when the thief you burglar'd with steps up to your defense... It's weird! Makes no sense lol.

On the contrary, it makes perfect sense. He is the understudy after all, that's what they do. Stand in. Yeah.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited October 2012
    Kaxon said:

Solaufein. He seemed like a pretty cool guy. Maybe Phaere if you're evil.

There is a (well known) mod that makes Solaufein a joinable NPC but it's totally broken. His stats leave little to the imagination (18's is almost everything) and his personal quest smells of mod content with the reward being an immensely overpowered sword with a special ability that sucks all joy out of the game.

As for whom I'd like to see join? Silke was my first idea, but I also liked the idea of that woman turned to stone joining you, not Branwen, this woman is in the basilisk area, she's all like "fanks for saving me babes, you is lush, bye now!"
    Also there's an elf you encounter just after painting the Xvart village red, I think he may be drow, he tries to sell you cursed scrolls and potions I believe ... I can't remember, I normally attack him on sight and pillage his corpse.
    Oh and the Elliseme clone on the second level of Château Irenicus. That would be amazeballz.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    bdeonovic said:

There is a mod that makes lots of these NPCs joinable....it also adds lots of quests and CONVERSATION which is awesome.

What mod is it? Googling with the words "joinable npc's baldur's gate mod" isn't helpful enough.

For me, I'd like Bub Snikt to be joinable. You can ask him, but the bugger reclines!

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited October 2012

Kaxon said:

Also there's an elf you encounter just after painting the Xvart village red, I think he may be drow, he tries to sell you cursed scrolls and potions I believe ... I can't remember, I normally attack him on sight and pillage his corpse.
    I usually attack him on sight and he pillages the corpses of my whole party. That guy is tougher than he looks ...

• styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    edited October 2012
    @Son_of_imoen go to weidu.org and it's like right on their main mod page.. solaufein mod.

@Jaxsbudgie I'm pretty sure that guy you're talking about is a human bard. I always kill him, because why not?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited October 2012
    stygga said:

IDK if it's a bug.. but in Baldur's Gate thieves guild, if you do the home invasion questline for that one thief, then at the end of the main thieves guild quest you kill the ambassador mage who attacks you before the cutscene, biff the understudy pops up in his place for the dialogue when the thief you burglar'd with steps up to your defense... It's weird! Makes no sense lol.

Yes that's a bug. Narlen is supposed to do the stabbing. The way BG is made, basically if the game mucks up and a character isn't there when they are meant to, it automatically summons up Biff the Understudy. They integrated that feature because they just couldn't guarantee some things wouldn't glitch on occasion, and then ruin the entire game for you or something if it's an important quest.

Kaxon said:

I usually attack him on sight and he pillages the corpses of my whole party. That guy is tougher than he looks ...

This. That guy is tougher than shit.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    stygga said:

@Son_of_imoen go to weidu.org and it's like right on their main mod page.. solaufein mod.

?

I this a misunderstanding?

Solaufein is a mod that adds just Solaufein as a joinable NPC according to the readme? @bdeneovic told about 'makes lots of these NPCs joinable....it also adds lots of quests and conversation'. So there should be out there one mod, adding lots of joinables, can't find any of that on Weimer's page.

('lots of these should include at least some of these for the statement to be true:

Narlen Darkwalk
    Mad Arcand
    Mutamin
    Brage
    Zal and Vax
    Noober
    Korax
    Nimbul
    Dradeel
    Drizzt
    Elminster
    Tamoko.

Those were the ones mentioned before the comment was made).

I just hope it isnt The Darkest Day what he's pointing to. I tried it, and it added far too much overpowered items and NPC's to the game.

• ForseForse Member Posts: 106
    I'd love to have Scar of the Flaming Fist in my party. He seems like a sensible, likeable person.
    Another person I'd like is Phlydia, her absentmindedness is cute.

Narlen, as others have said, would be a great joinable NPC.

Oh, the gnome in the Elfsong tavern, who wants to hire you for a certain shady deed! He is just awesome, I laugh every time I speak to him! :D
  • creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
    i always wanted to have shandalar join my party, he seemed like he would have been a pretty powerful mage to have
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156

Kaxon said:

There is a (well known) mod that makes Solaufein a joinable NPC but it's totally broken. His stats leave little to the imagination (18's is almost everything) and his personal quest smells of mod content with the reward being an immensely overpowered sword with a special ability that sucks all joy out of the game.
    Yeah, that doesn't sound appealing. I'd only want him if he were actually done well.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I wonder how the group would explain to the city guard there's nothing to fear from the Beholder :)
  • waardeniuswaardenius Member Posts: 58
    ajwz said:

The chest-guarding spectator you meet in the sahuagin city is just too sympathic not to root for. Now that would be an interesting party member...

My favorite encounter in the entire series.

"Not a bad guy, overall."
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited November 2012
    mlnevese said:

I wonder how the group would explain to the city guard there's nothing to fear from the Beholder :)

In the 3.5 sourcebook, Lords of Madness, by far the highlight of the book is reading about the lore behind beholders (in particular the birthing sequence). Unless I am very much mistaken, the book lists a few magic items specific to beholders, including amongst them, a monocle and a top hat
    edited November 2012
    ajwz said:

mlnevese said:

In the 3.5 sourcebook, Lords of Madness, by far the highlight of the book is reading about the lore behind beholders (in particular the birthing sequence). Unless I am very much mistaken, the book lists a few magic items specific to beholders, including amongst them, a monocle and a top hat
    I always thought you should you should have the chance to improve your CHA score if you defeat one of them because beauty is in the eye of the Beholder ...
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Permidion_Stark But killing the Beholder wouldn't you kill the beauty as well? :)
    mlnevese said:

@Permidion_Stark But killing the Beholder wouldn't you kill the beauty as well? :)

Possibly. But maybe the fluid from a Beholder's eye could be the basis for a Potion of Beauty that would act much like a Friends spell?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    ajwz said:

You wouldn't want to mix up your subspecies like Phaere, and go searching for beauty in the eye of an eye tyrant.

I actually lol'd. (I played this part of BG2 a few weeks ago)

For any (would be-) modders browsing this forum, I think this thread is a good place to start.
    (Subtle hint). Tamoko, Brage and Nimbul are my top three, they seem to have the most story potential (or maybe I just like redemption stories).

(Sidenote; I noticed starting to write more and more like Edwin, I blame @LadyRhian for this)
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    @Quartz, for what it's worth, according to the BG1 manual, Thalantyr is like.. a level 16 Conjurer, so I don't think there's a place for him in your party in BG1 :P
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    When I read the title of this post, I thought Silke myself, so I'm going to have to say Silke :)

Saemon Havarian is contemptible. I would never..! lol
  • DukeOfSuffolkDukeOfSuffolk Member Posts: 22
    I always wanted Marl to join. He seemed to have such a great background story!
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Solaufein! Oh wait...

• SecriaSecria Member Posts: 85
    Bjornin. After he's recovered. It's not the type of character I usually bring but I'm curious.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Korax the Ghoul !
  • awin123awin123 Member Posts: 55
    Tamoko was a huge missed opportunity for an awesome late BG1 character that carries over into BG2. She has a LOT of things to say if you actually sit down and talk to her and there's really no reason why you shouldn't be able to convert her to your side especially since she's very co-operative with you.
  • IlphalarIlphalar Member Posts: 68
    Quartz said:

stygga said:

Yes that's a bug. Narlen is supposed to do the stabbing. The way BG is made, basically if the game mucks up and a character isn't there when they are meant to, it automatically summons up Biff the Understudy. They integrated that feature because they just couldn't guarantee some things wouldn't glitch on occasion, and then ruin the entire game for you or something if it's an important quest.
    Just think for a moment that after all of these "bugfixes" (let alone mentioning the shift to BG2 engine) we won't ever see our beloved actor in the real play. Bye, bye Biff, we're gonna miss you a lot ;-P

BTW isn't that kind of funny to cut out the original game content by making some fixes? ;-)