Skip to content

Best ranger across the series

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Hehe, so much for being excellent against eachother, ay @wandering_ranger? :P Chill out, read some more posts, get to know the place and grow to realize this is not the kinda forum where you get points for being "cool".
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    I'll put my 2 cents on the matter, but that will be my only comment on it, because things start to heat up a little...

@Wandering_Ranger You might be underestimating the Called Shot ability. On hit, it drains Strength, thac0 and save vs spell. That's huge. With this ability, your mage will make Feeblemind stick a lot more often... The bigger enemy won't hit as hard either (strength and thac0 drain). This is something a stalker can't easily replicate.

It's true that, on the damage output front, other classes and kits will (eventually) outdamage them, but they still very strong in ToB (they can go up to 300 damage per round, nothing to scoff at). So, depending on the situation, archers can be better than stalkers, and still deal a huge amount of damage...
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    brunardo said:

so no love for minsc?!

Is it love for Minsc, or love for Boo?
  • Wandering_RangerWandering_Ranger Member Posts: 175

Yes, Stalkers can use arrows. What they can't do is significant damage with them, because without the Archer's damage bonuses, they just don't keep up with enemy HP through the game.

Except he wasn't arguing so much for damage bonuses as he was for utility arrows. The stalker, by the time these things matter, will hit almost as much as the archer. The damage isn't in question: utility is.

Also, once again, this is not a class debate. This is a specific character debate where all things must be taken into account.

As I have stated, on everything that is objectively measurable, Valygar wins. Classes are subjective. Pointing out the virtues of the archer does not take away from the quality of the stalker (and vice versa). Each class can be strong. *I* prefer the stalker and I have stated why. Skatan prefers the archer and he has stated why. This is all fine.

But this is not a debate about archer VS stalker. It is about the specific rangers. Once again: in all fields that cannot be disputed by subjective interpretation, Valygar simply wins (especially over Corwin). On everything else, it's irrelevant because it is left open to interpretation.

What got me about Skatan's statement was that he said "if she was in it, she would win." So brazen. So smug. So self-assured. No, she *absolutely* wouldn't. In fact, not only would she not win, she would come in at dead last. That is what the debate is about. Now, feel free and run a poll and see. But as I said, he/you won't, because it would certainly prove your claims wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    chimaera said:

Why would a stalker use a longbow against fire giants, though? I've actually used Valygar to dispatch the giants at the temple by backstabbing. Goes very quickly with CF backstabs, thanks to the stun effect. (and that was in an SCS/Ascension run)

That's still riskier than kiting, especially if there's more than one giant nearby. Not to say it can't work, but it's more likely something goes wrong.

But this is not a debate about archer VS stalker. It is about the specific rangers. Once again: in all fields that cannot be disputed by subjective interpretation, Valygar simply wins (especially over Corwin). On everything else, it's irrelevant because it is left open to interpretation.

"This is not a debate about archer" "The archer is a one trick pony"

There's definitely some motte and bailey fallacy here. And it's inane to argue that we should simply dismiss class and playstyle, because that basically means you're attempting to cram a ceterus paribus assumption into this debate that doesn't belong. "Baeloth is garbage because of his low HP/Thaco" is something you could say if you completely ignored playstyle. You simply can't assess characters' worth by pretending they should all fit the same role.

What got me about Skatan's statement was that he said "if she was in it, she would win." So brazen. So smug. So self-assured. No, she *absolutely* wouldn't. In fact, not only would she not win, she would come in at dead last. That is what the debate is about. Now, feel free and run a poll and see. But as I said, he/you won't, because it would certainly prove your claims wrong.

Proof enough that somebody has taken this way too personally and needs a chill pill, from where I'm standing.
    edited March 2017
    edited March 2017

I've already left this debate, but when someone calls me out like this I find it difficult not to respond. I will keep it civil though and just point out that you @Wandering_Ranger have been rather smug, brazen and self-assured since the beginning. You make good points indeed, but you also make it obvious to all that you thoroughly believe you are correct and everyone else (specifically me) is wrong. Which is ok, you are free to feel Valy is the best, but don't call me out for being brazen 'cause that's just being a hypocrite.

Noone put any limits to this poll other than you. Noone has tried to convince others what can or cannot be used to determine "best" than you. I've put forward my opinions and in some cases debated yours, but I never tried to limit what you were "allowed" to think, feel or state. Give everyone else the same courtesy please.

Now cheers, mate. Chill a bit, read some more threads. Look at your peers in here and realize this is friendly place.

EDIT: a funny side-note: this thread made me create an archer who uses predominately melee. She rushed through BG1 just now and just moved into SoD. There were a lot of juggling with rep trying to avoid falling, and I even experimented with the fallen status which I have never used before. Since they essentially turn into kitless base fighters with limits from rangers I tried to test if that would mean I could specialize in weapons during being fallen, then use the ranger stronghold to regain ranger status in BG2 with specialization in melee weapons. Didn't work unfortunately. Would have been a kinda interresting character concept. Anyways, back to SoD then.

Post edited by Skatan on
    Skatan said:

Noone put any limits to this poll other than you. Noone has tried to convince others what can or cannot be used to determine "best" than you. I've put forward my opinions and in some cases debated yours, but I never tried to limit what you were "allowed" to think, feel or state. Give everyone else the same courtesy please.

Chimaera said "Why would a stalker use a longbow against fire giants, though? I've actually used Valygar to dispatch the giants at the temple by backstabbing. Goes very quickly with CF backstabs, thanks to the stun effect. (and that was in an SCS/Ascension run)." This is a valid point. Horrid Wilting then tried to rebuke it with "That's still riskier than kiting, especially if there's more than one giant nearby. Not to say it can't work, but it's more likely something goes wrong."

Says who? Chimaera's point is perfectly valid. Here, we see exactly what you are talking about: a case of someone telling someone else their PLAYSTYLE is "wrong." Note that not once have I done this.

This is my entire point that, one that I keep coming back to. This is a wholly subjective argument. You and Horrid Wilting are the ones who have narrowed this discussion by making it all about *class,* whereas *I* have repeatedly said that that cannot be the only thing to be taken into account here (as it is NOT what this poll is asking). And yet you keep pushing the class point, never actually refuting anything other than pushing the virtues of the archer. Strength of the archer does not take away the strength of the stalker. It is wholly dependent on playstyle. You cannot say the archer is better than the stalker (nor it is what is in question in this thread). It's a subjective point. I think the stalker is better because it fits my playstyle better. End of story. No point bringing up archer VS stalker because we aren't discussing archer VS stalker, we are discussing rangers (specifically Valygar VS Corwin). I have said this so many times that at this point what you are doing must be considered trolling.

People like you and Horrid Wilting cannot be reasoned with because you refuse to see the other side, and then you condescendingly tell me to "chill a bit," making out like I am some sort of aggressor who is pushing his opinion on others while it is you who has done exactly that, beginning with your opening comment on this thread and proceeding from there. It's truly laughable. I think for the most productive outcome it may be best if you actually do as you said you would and leave this debate. I cannot say it has been a pleasure, and I look forward to *not* conversing with you or your type again. You are the exact reason I have stayed away from forums such as these. The community so far has been great but there's always that "one guy." I had the misfortune of running into him (actually two of him) in one thread(!).

The Gods can be cruel indeed.
    *Skatan cast Powerword: Resist temptation*
    Aye, a relevant quote to end this with:

"I left the forest to work with fools. I must be mad."
    edited March 2017
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited March 2017
    What is this I don't even

Minsc. Because Minsc. The totality that is Minsc minus, say, the kit, class, stats, personality, picture, voice, theoretical early-game, mid-game, or late-game equipment, or anything else I don't fancy right this minute and can change at will with EEkeeper and EE-NPC. That's me being objective. About a single-player game. On an anonymous internet forum. During my lunch break.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Finally some love for Minsc for all the points above and we cant forget Boo which serves as his phylactery...I admit valagyr is great but his RP and voice is awful and depresses me enough it throws off my gameplay...however I do plan to use him soon for m next playthrough lol
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Bishop is the only ranger I like. Since he's not on this poll, I'll have to pick Valygar.
    Bishop's not bad, a great foil to most of my characters. But normally, by that point I'm so invested in Khelgar and Neeshka that I lack room for him when Sand finally makes the picture.

I love that cynical moon elf. He's not depressing like Xan.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Kurona said:

Bishop is the only ranger I like. Since he's not on this poll, I'll have to pick Valygar.

Sagani happens to be my favorite.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Hello there, notifications.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I just liked Valygar's storyline better, and think it could have been even BETTER. (plus I am a bit biased AGAINST arcane users- and he fits the role-similar to @WarChiefZeke and his WSlayer Ishlilka NPC mod.)
  • MoribunnyMoribunny Member Posts: 21
    Corwin is the most lethal ranger in the saga, and the only SoD NPC who makes the Belhifet fight easy on Core+. However, I despise her as a person more than any other NPC across the saga (tied with Safana MAYBE).

The other three are pretty closely matched, but I think Kivan gets a slight edge. He's one of the biggest assets you can have in BG1. Minsc is a berserking menace in melee but has the poorest dexterity, the least useful racial enemy and a wasted quick item slot (I love you boo, but yeah). Valygar's thing is the backstabbing, but I find backstabbing too much of a chore. Even if they both take two pips in longbows they will never be as good at ranged because Kivan also has his Elven racial bonus. And interestingly, Kivan is one of the very few NPCs across the saga who don't "cheat" (no extra stats or abilities, no illegal class combinations etc).
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Hm, other NPCs that don't have unique stuff...Skie, certainly. And Imoen doesn't have extra abilities that I can think of. I don't use Xzar and Montaron much, but I don't remember them having anything, nor Khalid. Garrick is too normal to be useful a lot of the time. I don't think Shar-Teel or Korgan have anything unusual. Between custom items, extra stats, and various special abilities, that may be it, actually.
    Monty's an evil halfling, how much more unusual do you need? :tongue:

"Why isn't he jolly? WHY ISN'T HE JOLLY?!"

And in Imoen's defense, she already has AMAZING stats, adding on something special would have been too much. The others, though...
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    edited May 2017
    Ignoring SoD NPCs... mechanically speaking, Valygar is the strongest ranger. His 18 Dex is better than Minsc's 18/98 Str in a game with so many strength-boosters, his starting proficiencies are more useful, his starting gear is phenomenal, and Stalker is a straight upgrade over unkitted Ranger.

But Kivan is the *best* ranger, because he's the best archer in BG1, (tied with Coran, maybe), and archery is the most powerful force in the BG1 universe.

Edit: in fact, a few weeks back I ranked the 17 vanilla BG2 NPCs from a powergame perspective and had Minsc 15th, ahead only of Yoshimo and Cernd. And Yoshimo would jump him if he reliably got HLAs or stuck around long enough for a fighter dual-class to make sense.

Minsc is a *lot* better in BG1, though, where that 18/98 Str is truly special and everyone has garbage Dex.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    No archer in BG1 is tied with Coran.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    ThacoBell said:

No archer in BG1 is tied with Coran.

Why? The only bonus Coran's 20 Dex provides over Kivan's 17 Dex is... +1 ranged THACO. Which is completely offset by the fact that as a pureclass ranger, Kivan is almost always a level higher in his fighter class. Samesies.

After that, Coran has 1 point better AC, Kivan has +100 lbs carrying capacity, +1 THACO / +3 damage as a melee backup and better HP. Kivan can also wield composite long bows and Coran can't. Coran has his thief skills, but they're not really relevant to how the two compare as archers, which is "basically identical". Kivan is also available a *lot* earlier.

In what way does Coran outclass Kivan as an archer? Really all he has going for him is the 20 dex vs. 17 dex, and like I said, that's a whopping +1 THACO difference.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Interesting how these types of discussions usually go to who's the most powerful or useful. I still say 'best' ranger to me is background and personality., and then fit with CHARNAME's theme. I was glad to see many here go with this as well, regardless of their choice. B)