Skip to content

Elder Scrolls : The dumbing down

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Bethesda confirmed a Elder Scrolls mobile game (which will no doubt be filled with microtransactions), then announced Starfield (which is surely at least 2 or 3 years off) and THEN said Elder Scrolls VI is coming after that. No way we are seeing the sixth version of this game before 2023 at the earliest. To say they "announced" it is stretching it to tell you the truth. It was some random scenery with the word "Elder Scrolls VI" plastered on top, which looked it took about 5 minutes to put together. I still see no evidence the game is even in the planning stages.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited June 2018
    You're not going to see evidence of that any more than you saw evidence of Shadows Die Twice being in the planning stages when that teaser came out. I agree it's not likely to be out before Starfield, but I wouldn't assume the teaser is literally all they have. The music itself was new.

I mean prior to E3, Pete Hines has said that BGS wants to make two new games before going back to Elder Scrolls or Fallout, so this shouldn't be a surprise.

IDK, assuming the worst is a gamer way of life, but it seems like a waste of time.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790

Bethesda confirmed a Elder Scrolls mobile game (which will no doubt be filled with microtransactions), then announced Starfield (which is surely at least 2 or 3 years off) and THEN said Elder Scrolls VI is coming after that. No way we are seeing the sixth version of this game before 2023 at the earliest. To say they "announced" it is stretching it to tell you the truth. It was some random scenery with the word "Elder Scrolls VI" plastered on top, which looked it took about 5 minutes to put together. I still see no evidence the game is even in the planning stages.

Easy. That's still more care for TES here than, for example, Blizzard does to Diablo. The confirmation might be weak but you still have it.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    My only complaint about the teaser is that it doesn't look like Elsweyr or Black Marsh like I was hoping for. I would love a game where you start out in Leyawiin and can go into both the western parts of Black Marsh and the eastern parts of Elsweyr.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    This is my theory about Geralt: He goes around feeling sorry for himself because everyone hates him because he is a witcher. But the truth is, people actually hate him because he is a self absorbed obnoxious arrogant git. It's easier for Geralt to believe everyone else is prejudiced than for him to face up to his own character flaws.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Fardragon said:

This is my theory about Geralt: He goes around feeling sorry for himself because everyone hates him because he is a witcher. But the truth is, people actually hate him because he is a self absorbed obnoxious arrogant git. It's easier for Geralt to believe everyone else is prejudiced than for him to face up to his own character flaws.

What do you think of my rant on Moorcock and Elric?

Fardragon said:

I wouldn't want to play a CRPG that forced you to play as Elric either.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    So I played and enjoyed The Witcher 2. I own Witcher 1 but I never got over how “jank” the whole thing is. I haven’t tried The Witcher 3 but that’s due to in recent years I’ve been avoiding all games that give a premade protagonist. In the future I do plan to try it though.

Just from TW2 my Geralt was a snarky and reluctant good guy. I thought he was interesting enough. /shrugs
    Fardragon said:

Fardragon said:

I would play It if It gives me the option of not making Elric a whiny moron during dialogues.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Vallmyr - "Jank"?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    scriver said:

@Vallmyr - "Jank"?

Another way of saying something feels "off" or "rough around the edges".
    scriver said:

@Vallmyr - "Jank"?

Witcher 3 is my jank.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank.
    I did not expect my use of the word jank to cause this XD
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    The word jank is totally jank to me: P
    edited June 2018

Fardragon said:

Fardragon said:

I would play It if It gives me the option of not making Elric a whiny moron during dialogues.
    Then it wouldn't be Elric.

I think the point of Elric is he was deliberately written to be an unlikeable anti-hero (see also: Thomas Convenant).

I get the impression with Geralt that the author doesn't realise, but maybe that is because something is lost in translation.

Whatever, a role-playing game shouldn't put the player into a pre-defined character. A predetermined background is sufficient to tie the character into the story, without forcing a personality onto the player.

Mass Effect just about got away with it for me, because Shepard was close to the kind of character I like to play anyway, but for a player who doesn't want to channel either Batman or Superman it's also broken.

I don't like full voiced protagonists for this reason - a voice imposes a lot of personality.
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    Ok, on topic, Skyrim rules, best of the TES games by far. I'm old, I've been playing since pong, Skyrim was awesome and the mods are even better. The witcher series, Geralt is an a-hole, I hate the guy frankly and can't even be bothered to keep him alive so all my experiences never get past the first battle :)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    *I sit alone in my corner of exile*

Oblivion was the best one!
    In regards to the last couple of posts:

The order of the 3 modern Elder Scrolls games, from best to worst is:

1.) Morrowind
    2.) Skyrim
    3.) Oblivion

Morrowind is pretty much the last of the golden age of computer RPGs (and it didn't hurt that it got ported to the XBox). It is still very much tied to pen and paper concepts, and dice rolls. The world is dense, massive, and, most importantly, odd and unique in a way few games are. Oblivion suffers in comparison simply because it's main game is such generic paint by the numbers fantasy. I defy anyone to care about what is going on with Patrick Stewart's Emperor and the quest to find his hidden son. Of course, the moment it decides to get weird again, in the Shivering Isles, the game hits those Morrowind heights. Skyrim is simply the most expansive fantasy-world simulator that has ever been created. Go anywhere, do anything. The fact that the leveling and skills have been simplified is only to be expected. Morrowind isn't exactly intuitive. I've had to watch half-hour Youtube videos to get a clear grip on some of it's intricacies.

Geralt's reference point is that he is an Eastern European fantasy version of Batman. Sure, he has some limited magical powers, but he is mostly about sword fighting and using crafted contraptions. And the best thing about the Witcher series is how central herbs and alchemy are to the gameplay and plot. And the other thing to take into account is this: though Geralt is certainly caught up in some epic plots, he is also, much of the time, just a guy who is doing his job. He is a monster hunter. And the most appealing thing about big fights in The Witcher is using Beastiary knowledge about a certain foe to prepare for that fight before taking it on.

The order of the 3 modern Elder Scrolls games, from best to worst is:

1.) Morrowind
    2.) Skyrim
    3.) Oblivion

Morrowind is pretty much the last of the golden age of computer RPGs (and it didn't hurt that it got ported to the XBox). It is still very much tied to pen and paper concepts, and dice rolls. The world is dense, massive, and, most importantly, odd and unique in a way few games are. Oblivion suffers in comparison simply because it's main game is such generic paint by the numbers fantasy. I defy anyone to care about what is going on with Patrick Stewart's Emperor and the quest to find his hidden son. Of course, the moment it decides to get weird again, in the Shivering Isles, the game hits those Morrowind heights. Skyrim is simply the most expansive fantasy-world simulator that has ever been created. Go anywhere, do anything. The fact that the leveling and skills have been simplified is only to be expected. Morrowind isn't exactly intuitive. I've had to watch half-hour Youtube videos to get a clear grip on some of it's intricacies.

Geralt's reference point is that he is an Eastern European fantasy version of Batman. Sure, he has some limited magical powers, but he is mostly about sword fighting and using crafted contraptions. And the best thing about the Witcher series is how central herbs and alchemy are to the gameplay and plot. And the other thing to take into account is this: though Geralt is certainly caught up in some epic plots, he is also, much of the time, just a guy who is doing his job. He is a monster hunter. And the most appealing thing about big fights in The Witcher is using Beastiary knowledge about a certain foe to prepare for that fight before taking it on.

A few Oblivion quests were pretty good though, especially the Dark Brotherhood questline.
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182

And the best thing about the Witcher series is how central herbs and alchemy are to the gameplay and plot. And the other thing to take into account is this: though Geralt is certainly caught up in some epic plots, he is also, much of the time, just a guy who is doing his job. He is a monster hunter. And the most appealing thing about big fights in The Witcher is using Beastiary knowledge about a certain foe to prepare for that fight before taking it on.

I'm not addressing TES, we disagree and I can live with that. :) I hope everyone realizes that yes I did play though much of The Witcher games but to be honest the alchemy was my least favorite part. I felt forced to hunt for nuts and berries (read ingredients) in order to continue, I'd rather rub my face on hot tar.

Geralt's reference point is that he is an Eastern European fantasy version of Batman.

There are quite a few computer games that let you play as Batman. None of them claim to be RPGs.

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Fardragon said:

Geralt's reference point is that he is an Eastern European fantasy version of Batman.

There are quite a few computer games that let you play as Batman. None of them claim to be RPGs.

To both quotes, I think this picture is fitting:

At this point it would be better to create "Bashing Geralt with strawmen arguments" topic. Otherwise there will be several pages of this here, in topic dedicated to discussing TES games.
    A straw man would be a far more charismatic protagonist than Geralt.
    Fardragon said:

A straw man would be a far more charismatic protagonist than Geralt.

Except Kevin Sorbo in a Pure Flix movie. Even a ogre has more charisma points than that kind of straw man.
    edited June 2018
    Soooo steering away from the Geralt hate, do guys think Elder Scrolls 6 will finally start adding new stuff or do you think more skills/spells will be on the chopping block?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Judging by Fallout 4, more chopping and more level restricting of feats/skill.

Oh and the protagonist will be fully voice acted so probably less choice of the races available to play as well.

You will start the game in a prison or being held captive by the authorities though.
    edited June 2018
    Vallmyr said:

Soooo steering away from the Geralt hate, do guys think Elder Scrolls 6 will finally start adding new stuff or do you think more skills/spells will be on the chopping block?

I imagine it's not going to get any MORE streamlined than Skyrim. Really, the "dumbing down" of Skyrim is overstated. You are still actively leveling almost as many skills as in the previous two games. Sure they eliminated Acrobatics and and Athletics, but leveling those consisted of 1.) Making sure you caps lock key was turned one and 2.) Hitting the space bar every couple of seconds. To level stealth in Morrowind all I usually do is sit in the corner of the Census and Excise Office and watch a movie for two hours, because it's one of the only spots early-on that actually works.

What you are given in Skyrim is skill trees instead of the ability to level up in a larger variety of categories. Alot of people don't like skill trees in general. This is a trend that started with Diablo 2, and went mainstream with World of Warcraft. They aren't inherently bad, and Skyrim's are way better than most. If one wants a bad version of skill trees, check out Sword Coast Legends.
This discussion has been closed.