Skip to content

Elder Scrolls : The dumbing down

1111213141517»

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Vallmyr said:

Yeah I've put a billion hours into Morrowind so my options are Arena, Daggerfall, Oblivion, and Skyrim.

Daggerfall, although they really went overboard with the confusing dungeons and open world. Especially for its time
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

I have always viewed JRPGs as a genre rather than a technical point about WHERE the game was made. For instance, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI to me are what I would think of when the term JRPG comes to mind. Though Dark Souls and Bloodborne are MADE in Japan, they have a decidedly Western aesthetic to them in terms of their fantasy universe. To me, a JRPG is turn-based party combat that takes place on a separate screen from the overworld map, has alot of random encounters, and a certain cutesy cartoonish graphic-style.

Why? JRPGs are allowed to innovate just like any other genre. Saying that something stops being JRPG because the creator wanted to do something different is effectively denying innovation to an entire industry.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176

Yes because misrepresenting what someone said is getting offended.

Look, i already have an warning and don't wanna be banned. People insulted me despite i never insulted anyone on my jRPG thread. I asked for the moderation to lock or remove my character / story thread to avoid that the thread goes in the same way.

By the way, i will not talk more about jRPG's on this forum or on this thread. At least games who come from Japan(not only rpg's) aren't being dumbed down like most western games. People who like jRPG's(talking as a subgenre not including games like DS) like by completely different reasons than people who like games like NWN1 and BG.

-----------------------

About dumbing down, not only RPG's are being dumbed down.

For example, racing games, Need for Speed with lootbox based progression and no car customization shooters.

Also, RTS games, look to what a XCOM fan said

Only a single base
    -Unlimited ammo
    -No time units
    -FOUR MAN SQUADS
    -Individual soldiers are now hero units instead of disposable fodder that might some day be great.
    -CLASS SYSTEM
    -Story missions

and more opinion oriented
    -Glam cam (which yes, can be turned off)
    -Childish cartoon graphics (Which is different than xcoms cartoony graphics, which were also serious, and dark)

(...)

I'm calling it right now, just based on these two facts alone that your soldiers will only die to utter stupidity. Half the fun of the original game was getting your soldiers mowed down by a reaction shot or losing half your squad to an alien grenade.

I was really excited about this game, then I heard it was being developed for consoles... and I tried to remain optimistic. Unfortunately, now they've pretty much confirmed that this game has been dumbed down, streamlined, and catered to the masses. Things like glam cam, the graphics, and the added simplicity just scream mass appeal
    source https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/655782-xcom-enemy-unknown/62953152

I don't except anything from AAA games, i expect good games only from low/mid budget projects.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    We're closing this thread to prevent further violations of the Site rules.

The comments from the last 2 pages are under moderation review.
This discussion has been closed.