Skip to content

Elder Scrolls : The dumbing down

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

One thing I appreciate about Skyrim is the modding community. We get stuff like Apotheosis (well, will get it), Falskaar, Skyrim Beyond, etc. Not to denigrate Oblivion's modders with stuff like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul revamping the experience from the ground up, just that there seems to be a lot of people motivated to making outright expansion-scale mods.

Are there any mods that give Skyrim some good roleplaying?
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Seeing the "Skyrim realistic horse genitalia" mod convinced me that there is a Skyrim mod for everything and everyone out there.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

One thing I appreciate about Skyrim is the modding community. We get stuff like Apotheosis (well, will get it), Falskaar, Skyrim Beyond, etc. Not to denigrate Oblivion's modders with stuff like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul revamping the experience from the ground up, just that there seems to be a lot of people motivated to making outright expansion-scale mods.

Are there any mods that give Skyrim some good roleplaying?
    Depends on what you consider "good roleplaying."
    JoenSo said:

Seeing the "Skyrim realistic horse genitalia" mod convinced me that there is a Skyrim mod for everything and everyone out there.

And the Award for most useless and disturbing mod goes to.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

JoenSo said:

It probably goes to something even worse, disturbingly.

To elaborate on my previous response: I think that maybe different people look for different things rp-wise, and there are probably mods that meet most people's needs. Of course, if you do not like the core mechanics as they stand, nothing will fix that, so yeah.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    I at least use the Live Another Life mod in Oblivion and Skyrim to develop a better backstory then the generic prisoner one they keep rehashing

JoenSo said:

To elaborate on my previous response: I think that maybe different people look for different things rp-wise, and there are probably mods that meet most people's needs. Of course, if you do not like the core mechanics as they stand, nothing will fix that, so yeah.
    If only Skyrim had classes, attributes, consequences and more focus on the Civil War between Empire, Stormcloaks and Thalmor rather than the Generic Doomsday Villain Alduin.
    edited March 2018

JoenSo said:

If only Skyrim had classes, attributes, consequences and more focus on the Civil War between Empire, Stormcloaks and Thalmor rather than the Generic Doomsday Villain Alduin.
    Classes and attributes are not required for roleplay, though. You can get mods that add more consequences and more focus on the civil war. Mods basically vindicate Skyrim.

Note I am not saying that needing such vindication is a good thing.

Here's a mod that dramatically alters the civil war so that you can actually lose, and puts more focus on it if you choose to pursue it: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11076
    As far as the Thalmor go, I don't think the Thalmor were meant to be resolved in a single game. They're definitely a thing in Skyrim and several quests deal with them in some way, but not as an overarching enemy to be defeated right now. They're bigger than that.
    edited March 2018

As far as the Thalmor go, I don't think the Thalmor were meant to be resolved in a single game. They're definitely a thing in Skyrim and several quests deal with them in some way, but not as an overarching enemy to be defeated right now. They're bigger than that.

Main Villains of TES VI? Of course, that would be too smart for Pagliarulo.
    edited March 2018

Main Villains of TES VI?
    Maybe? I mean, there's some evidence their ultimate goal is to eliminate the possibility of humankind from Nirn and return to the Dawn Era, which is pretty apocalyptic. They'll have to be dealt with.

I just hope TES VI isn't so simplified as to be meaningless.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    As a person who never plays humans, I'm ok with the eradication of the human races so they better let me join the Thalmor (that would never happen lol)

Main Villains of TES VI?
    Maybe? I mean, there's some evidence their ultimate goal is to eliminate the possibility of humankind from Nirn and return to the Dawn Era, which is pretty apocalyptic. They'll have to be dealt with.

I just hope TES VI isn't so simplified as to be meaningless.
    I think after Dagon and Alduin, a more grounded villain like Golden Nazi Elves would be a nice change of pace.
    Vallmyr said:

As a person who never plays humans, I'm ok with the eradication of the human races so they better let me join the Thalmor (that would never happen lol)

Unfortunately It is very likely that you are right since in Fallout 4 you can't be a bad guy and the usual Bethesda tendency of immortal NPCs.
    I really hope TES VI doesn't include voice acting for the player character like Fallout 4 >_>

I love seeing that Fallout 4 mod that makes the dialogue wheel into the actual sentences and it's like 3 of the same sentence and then snarky sentence lol
    Vallmyr said:

I really hope TES VI doesn't include voice acting for the player character like Fallout 4 >_>

I love seeing that Fallout 4 mod that makes the dialogue wheel into the actual sentences and it's like 3 of the same sentence and then snarky sentence lol

Dagoth Ur: Are you really Nerevar?

Nerevarine: Yes. No. Sarcasm.
    Vallmyr said:

Well, it's not that simple... I don't think the Elder Scrolls would be playable as a series of games if the Thalmor got what they wanted.

Unless they really just want part of Hammerfell and the end of Talos worship, and the rest is just theorizing.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Whatever it's about, I'm sure the Elder Scrolls VI will be amazing. Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim were all absolutely brilliant, and I can only assume the next one will be the same.

I'm not sure what else they could do streamline the game system, though. The only thing I really want, but am note sure that we'll get, is the removal of the rewards for inventory management and crafting.

Skyrim did a lot to discourage grinding, but the crafting system still heavily encouraged it. I remember forging countless iron daggers until eventually I could grab some ebony ingots, farm some daedra hearts, and then create a suit of daedric armor in Whiterun.

It was fun for a little while, and then the whole thing seemed very pointless. The last time I played Skyrim, I swore off the smithing and enchanting skills.

Vallmyr said:

Well, it's not that simple... I don't think the Elder Scrolls would be playable as a series of games if the Thalmor got what they wanted.

Unless they really just want part of Hammerfell and the end of Talos worship, and the rest is just theorizing.
    Yeah it was more of me just jesting since I hate humans in fantasy RPGs. I don't see them as actually joinable if they are the prime antagonists.
    I would like to see a return to attributes, although I can live without classes.

The problem with crafting in TES is that they've always encouraged grinding. Alchemy and enchanting in Morrowind, for example.
    edited March 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7fCltG15wg

Five ways Morrowind is better than Skyrim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7fCltG15wg

Five ways Morrowind is better than Skyrim.

As rpg nerds, we love beating dead horses with other dead horses.

Theres also a video that compares the main quests of Morrowind and Skyrim.
    Oh, I haven't seen that video yet.
    Hope this links correctly, sending it on my phone. This is one of the videos that got me to play Morrowind

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1wujJnlsJh4
    Vallmyr said:

Hope this links correctly, sending it on my phone. This is one of the videos that got me to play Morrowind

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1wujJnlsJh4

That's It! That's the video i was talking about.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Honestly, as far as setting goes, I don't think there is another CRPG that can stand up to the unique setting of Morrowind besides Planescape: Torment. It is a place that has intricate culture and politics. I mean, from the very opening minutes, you are advised to use the travel system which consists of riding in the hollowed-out top of a massive insect creature that is steered by manipulating exposed nerves.

Honestly, as far as setting goes, I don't think there is another CRPG that can stand up to the unique setting of Morrowind besides Planescape: Torment. It is a place that has intricate culture and politics. I mean, from the very opening minutes, you are advised to use the travel system which consists of riding in the hollowed-out top of a massive insect creature that is steered by manipulating exposed nerves.

To be fair, Planescape was originally a 2nd ed. D&D setting, Chris Avellone and the Black Isle guys didn't create much of the video game setting.

Which makes me think WotC should publish some Planescape stuff for 5e. Crazy metaphysical D&D Is best D&D.
    Morrowind is something special.
This discussion has been closed.