Skip to content

Book/TV/Movie tropes you just can't stand anymore

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its funny the things that can slip past us sometimes though. I remember being blindsided by Night at the Museum simply because my brain refused to process Dick Van Dyke in that role :smiley:
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    mlnevese said:

What about the endless ammunition gun that just decides to get out of ammo in the most dramatic moment?

That just adds to the drama when the character inevitably hurls the empty pistol at whoever they were shooting at.

My favorite scene where that happens is when Wilford Brimley empties his pistol at Keith Davids in 'The Thing' then throws it at him before Kurt Russell beats the crap out of him. The other thing I like about that scene is it's one of the few times in film that a character actually feels pain after whacking somebody in the face with his fist three or four times. There's a reason boxers wear gloves people!
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    @mlnevese If that isn't on the evil overlord list already, it needs to be added!
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    The Protagonist Who Tragically Lost His Parents And Broods About It™
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

@mlnevese If that isn't on the evil overlord list already, it needs to be added!

It's #15.
    I will never employ any device with a digital countdown. If I find that such a device is absolutely unavoidable, I will set it to activate when the counter reaches 117 and the hero is just putting his plan into operation.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    mlnevese said:

If I make a bomb I seriously do not want the person trying to disarm it to know how long they have... if I went on to place a digital display it would just display the wrong time anyway.

I'd also make all wires the same colour, and add at least a dozen wires that weren't connected to anything so the hero has no idea which ones he can and can't cut. :D
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Squire said:

mlnevese said:

If I make a bomb I seriously do not want the person trying to disarm it to know how long they have... if I went on to place a digital display it would just display the wrong time anyway.

I'd also make all wires the same colour, and add at least a dozen wires that weren't connected to anything so the hero has no idea which ones he can and can't cut. :D
    If you want to be really evil make them all red :)
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    mlnevese said:

Squire said:

mlnevese said:

If you want to be really evil make them all red :)
    That's #136.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Male heroes whose defining personality traits are scowling all the time and being really good at killing people.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

Male heroes whose defining personality traits are scowling all the time and being really good at killing people.

Or killing zombies!
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Zombies that scowl all the time I assume are A-Okay?
    edited October 2017
    I just Googled "smiling zombie" and have decided that I am perfectly fine with zombies scowling all the time.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Not really a trope per se. But it really rubs me the wrong way when I see beast races having one pair of animal ears. As well as having another pair of totally normal human ears. I mean, what's the point of having 4 ears? That only makes them look like they're friggin' cosplayers! And silly to boot.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited October 2017
    @semiticgod

by vonblood DeviantArt

EDIT from semiticgod: I have put your abomination in spoilers. Think of the children!
    Post edited by semiticgoddess on
    edited October 2017

Ah yes, the dark brooding anti-hero who's constantly battling demons from his past, and hardly talks but glowers a lot (also likely to be an alcoholic but not in a way that affects his ability to fulfil his role), then gets pushed too far and suddenly whips out a blade and goes on a total badass killing spree. He will only open up to the female love interest, as it turns out he either did something bad (but not so bad he can't be forgiven - anyway he was forced, or tricked, into doing it so it's okay), or was betrayed by a close friend and therefore has trust issues (that mysteriously evaporate when he inevitably shares a bed with the aforementioned love interest). How shockingly original! It might have been cool the first few times, but can we have a new hero archetype now?

Also, I read through that overlord list... funny stuff! I particularly liked number 98. :lol:

eta: you totally need to check out this channel if ever you get bored and fancy laughing at some more writing cliches.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    #MyFavouriteTrope GrowingTheBeard
    Kurona said:

Don't forget the shaggy beginning of a beard. Indispensable to any self-respecting broody anti-hero and mysteriously never grows to a full beard, even though the dude doesn't shave.

We need more hobo beards like @Zaghoul's imo. Beards are sexy.

Being clean-shaven is for pretty boys and Native Americans.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

Kurona said:

Don't forget the shaggy beginning of a beard. Indispensable to any self-respecting broody anti-hero and mysteriously never grows to a full beard, even though the dude doesn't shave.

Being clean-shaven is for pretty boys and Native Americans.
    Actually, lots of asians can't grow full beards as well. As for pretty boys, its normal in Canada to shave or alternate daily. I prefer to have stubble, but the whole Weinstein thing makes me worry stubble might be the new Hitler 'stache!
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited October 2017
    Squire said:

Ah yes, the dark brooding anti-hero who's constantly battling demons from his past, and hardly talks but glowers a lot (also likely to be an alcoholic but not in a way that affects his ability to fulfil his role), then gets pushed too far and suddenly whips out a blade and goes on a total badass killing spree. He will only open up to the female love interest, as it turns out he either did something bad (but not so bad he can't be forgiven - anyway he was forced, or tricked, into doing it so it's okay), or was betrayed by a close friend and therefore has trust issues (that mysteriously evaporate when he inevitably shares a bed with the aforementioned love interest). How shockingly original! It might have been cool the first few times, but can we have a new hero archetype now?

Technically, it's still better than classic goody-two-shoes hero archetype, not to mention more realistic.

My prime issue here would be with the female love interest and bed sharing. I'd much rather see a character who may well be aware of his issues, and either doesn't care or can sort it out himself, but totally doesn't need some stupid love to patch him up. The kind of ruthless and unapologetic that Gerard Butler's character had in London Has Fallen (not the brooding type, but still) - felt like a breath of fresh air after a day in stifling perfume shop.

Not that it's gonna happen much, with all that political correctness around every corner.

PS Riddick was okay, though.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Kurona said:

Working on mine.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    The birthmark that denotes greatness...

Surely... A birthmark is simply that... It signifies... That they used the callipers to drag your baby ass out of the love tunnel AND NOTHING MORE.

I have a birthmark. I know about these things. I am great with or without it.
    @Anduin but have you ever heard of a hero WITHOUT an oddly shaped birthmark? ;)

You probably have actually... but everyone knows, nondescript birthmarks might mean that but distinctly shaped birthmarks are always signs of greatness! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited February 2018
    Now I'm really curios which game it was.