Skip to content

Book/TV/Movie tropes you just can't stand anymore

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

Shandaxx said:

Oh another STUPID trope used in that story:

Women are superior to men when it comes to hand-on-hand combat.
    How come? Men have balls...

Go figure...

True, though people would really not like realism in this department. Few people want to see a man beating up a woman.
    Actually I think this would add to the terror factor of the story.
  • shmity72shmity72 Member Posts: 46
    how about what i miss? socratic tragedies anyone????
  • shmity72shmity72 Member Posts: 46
    see primal fear...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    When you have a mixed cast of supposedly equal fighters, but the women ALWAYS have to fight other women.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I'd tolerate the Groin Attack trope more if it was handled in a gender neutral way. A knee/fist/foot in the groin will hurt no matter what kind of groin we're talking about.
    ThacoBell said:

Zombies. An oversaturated market that takes zero advantage of the creative possibilities that reanimated dead provide.

So I saw this old post and was reminded of the book Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist which has a very different take on the whole reanimated dead issue. It also gets bonus points from me for largely taking place where I grew up.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    JoenSo said:

ThacoBell said:

Zombies. An oversaturated market that takes zero advantage of the creative possibilities that reanimated dead provide.

So I saw this old post and was reminded of the book Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist which has a very different take on the whole reanimated dead issue. It also gets bonus points from me for largely taking place where I grew up.
    I've been meaning to read that for quite some time. His book Let The Right One In is absolutely beautiful and is probably my favourite book ever. It also has quite a different take on vampires.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511

True, though people would really not like realism in this department. Few people want to see a man beating up a woman.

This is true... although it's not impossible for a woman to beat a man, not many people will root for a man in a fight like that, even if the man is an untrained grunt and the woman is a super-skilled ninja, and not many people will respect a man for beating up a woman.

As for the terror factor... maybe, but in these situations the man is usually the bad guy, and again, not many people will root for him but will see it as proof that he's the bad guy. (I include myself in this by the way ;) )
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I fail to see how letting a woman murder me would be more morel than defending myself.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Dev6 said:

JoenSo said:

ThacoBell said:

I've been meaning to read that for quite some time. His book Let The Right One In is absolutely beautiful and is probably my favourite book ever. It also has quite a different take on vampires.
    I never read Let the Right One In, but I thought both versions of the film adaptations for the novel were great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I think we can agree that you shouldn't fight people, either men or women, unless they attack you first, in which case you can defend yourself, whether your attacker is a man or a woman.

But this thread is about media rather than real life, so we should stick to discussing media tropes rather than real life double standards and whether they're justified or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited February 2018
    Few people want to see a man beating up a woman.

I'm currently (re)playing King's Bounty WotN, been recently on the Ice Garden island. Those damn snowflake fairies were flying in 1k+ swarms, and their no retaliation cold-based attacks hurt my phoenix alot, so I had a bit of problem - fairies were not a big threat by themselves (level 1 creatures are easy to control), but they made it pretty hard to keep other bigger creatures locked onto phoenix instead of charging towards my ranks over its corpse (I'm not stupid enough to engage "very strong" enemy armies in all-out melee).
    Good news - fairies got initiative bonus in this encounter, so on the next turn I had my units wait, let the them fly towards me, then revived the phoenix before the rest of enemies could move.
    As for how to deal with fairies, when my shooters are busy with enemy back row... I send berserkers into rage.
    The berserker troop smashes his helmet with a sword and roars savagely "RRrraaaarghgrgh!!!", then critically slashes the fairy in half. "Ahh!" yelps the lil' *****, then swirls around herself and punches the berserker back (hey, at least he's got innate 10% cold resist! :D). "Wham!" he slams critically the fairy with a shield (double strike is cool, but taking damage in-between sucks :( ). The lil' ***** stumbles in the air, then drops onto ground, panties flashing, and lies still. "RRrraaaarghgrgh!!!" roars the berserker triumphantly, smashing his helmet with a sword again.
    Next turn begins - and berserkers move first, initiative doubled in enraged state... and select the second fairy troop. "Ahh!" - "Wham!" - "RRrraaaarghgrgh!!!". Another lil' bites the dust, but not before she could punch berserker for even more losses.
    I was unable to ress all the guys back, and had to reload. But we still smacked those pretty snowflakes good! What, what are you looking at me for? Those *****es asked for it! :)
    Shandaxx said:

ThacoBell said:

I fail to see how letting a woman murder me would be more morel than defending myself.

You can defend yourself but at the same time you must take care to do as little harm to her as possible.
    So you should probably try to run away.

Also you must consider this: She is a woman and you are a man. So if a woman tries to kill you, then surely YOU must have done something to upset her in the first place.

No one would expect from you to simply let her murder you of course. But different moral standards apply as if another man tried to murder you.

Btw, morel is a mushroom. :)
    I am going to assume you are being sarcastic :)
    Zaghoul said:

Dev6 said:

JoenSo said:

ThacoBell said:

I never read Let the Right One In, but I thought both versions of the film adaptations for the novel were great.
    Do yourself a favor and read it... It's one of the best books about vampires I've ever read... true vampires, not the shining in the sun kind...
    ThacoBell said:

Oh you can defend yourself, but as Shandaxx said, you have to do as little harm as possible and try to trap or incapacitate her somehow. Ideally you have to convert her to your side (and if she's hot then you need her to fall in love with you), otherwise you have to rely on the female romantic lead to deal with her while you take on the male members of the opposition, just like ThacoBell said... yeah, morality is funny in that way. :lol:
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    ^- That's a good/accurate trope actually, hadn't thought about that as such before you guys pointed it out.

Have the "Protagonist throws of his helmet just before engaging the enemies"-trope been addressed yet? Or is that considered a trope? Gotta admit, I'm not 100% sure what defines as a trope.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Zaghoul said:

Dev6 said:

JoenSo said:

ThacoBell said:

What I'm about to say is a huge cliché, but... The book is so much better.
    I loved both movies, in fact I watched the movies before reading the book. But there's so much more in the book that wasn't adapted into the movies. You should read it, I can assure you you won't regret it.
    Skatan said:

Have the "Protagonist throws of his helmet just before engaging the enemies"-trope been addressed yet?

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned something with regard to helmets... but yeah, the old "I'll just take off my helmet so you can see my angst-ridden snarl!" (because wearing an open faced helmet is out of the question, as is putting it back on again after the dramatic exchange).

Also on the topic of helmets, we have "I'm losing the fight, better remove an important layer of protection to help my opponent even more!", and also, "we're the good guys, we don't need helmets! Helmets are for evil people, who hide their faces to show how evil they are! Everyone knows less protection wins the day because plot."

Maybe the lack of helmet usage is so that the actors can prove that they're doing their own stunts. :lol:
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    How about 'The moral compass must die!'?

The Walking Dead shows personify this but it's a disturbing trend overall. If you're a good person in the movies or TV lately your days are numbered...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Balrog99 said:

The Walking Dead shows personify this but it's a disturbing trend overall. If you're a good person in the movies or TV lately your days are numbered...

Q. A movie has a moral compass character, a guy who's 3 days away from retirement, and a guy who just asked his girlfriend to marry him. Who dies first?

A. The black guy.

(rimshot)
    BillyYank said:

Q. A movie has a moral compass character, a guy who's 3 days away from retirement, and a guy who just asked his girlfriend to marry him. Who dies first?

A. The black guy.

(rimshot)

Sad but true.
    edited February 2018
    BillyYank said:

Balrog99 said:

A. The black guy.

(rimshot)
    What if they are all black guys? Who does Hollywood kill?
    mlnevese said:

BillyYank said:

Balrog99 said:

A. The black guy.

(rimshot)
    What if they are all black guys? Who does Hollywood kill?
    The white villain :D
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    mlnevese said:

What if they are all black guys?

That's racist.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.