Skip to content

3 Days till BG2:EE! What will you do on the day of release? (apart from stare at a download bar...)

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012

In the UK it is customary to go to a kebab shop when you are..

a) so drunk that you would get thrown out of anywhere else.
    b) so drunk that you don't care about what you're eating.

In my part of Canada that is what street meat is for (not sure if it is more dominant in Toronto than other cities).
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    elminster said:

In my part of Canada that is what street meat is for (not sure if it is Toronto specific or not).
    I had to look that up (it sounded like something else!)
  • KrypteiaKrypteia Member Posts: 50
    Anduin said:

As far as I am aware... We Brits do not eat battered mars bars... This is something most silly done in america.

Actually, they are somewhat popular in Scotland. More so than in America, going by the fact I knew a lot of Americans when I went to University when I was up there, and none of them had ever tried it.

As it happened, we all went out one night and convinced ourselves to try this, uh, local delicacy. The plan was to eat some then hit the pubs and enjoy a good night out. After a couple of bites, we all looked at each other, said something along the lines of "I don't feel so great" and crawled back to our dorms.

From what I can recall, it was like having a lead weight in my stomach. I didn't eat for 24 hours after trying it, though that could be as much to do with the dorm food quality as the effects of the deep fried Mars Bar.

I recommend trying it once, only for the experience. Never again....
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

elminster said:

In my part of Canada that is what street meat is for (not sure if it is Toronto specific or not).
    I had to look that up (it sounded like something else!)
    Haha. It really does too :)
    Krypteia said:

Anduin said:

As far as I am aware... We Brits do not eat battered mars bars... This is something most silly done in america.

Actually, they are somewhat popular in Scotland. More so than in America, going by the fact I knew a lot of Americans when I went to University when I was up there, and none of them had ever tried it.

As it happened, we all went out one night and convinced ourselves to try this, uh, local delicacy. The plan was to eat some then hit the pubs and enjoy a good night out. After a couple of bites, we all looked at each other, said something along the lines of "I don't feel so great" and crawled back to our dorms.

From what I can recall, it was like having a lead weight in my stomach. I didn't eat for 24 hours after trying it, though that could be as much to do with the dorm food quality as the effects of the deep fried Mars Bar.

I recommend trying it once, only for the experience. Never again....
    Pretty sure Scotland is notorious for its inappropriate battering, pizza, mars bars..

Pretty sure Scotland is notorious for its inappropriate battering, pizza, mars bars..

...People.

But yes. There are reasons why the average age of death in Scotland is much lower than the rest of the UK. Not so keen on their greens, as a rule. Not unless they've have every nutrient deep-fried out of them, first.

I do apologise to any Scottish people on the forums. I did love my time there, it's just the whole food experience was...not so wonderful. Along with the weather. You do have fantastic taste in alcoholic drinks though, which in my mind makes up for it and then some.
    @Krypteia Scottish seafood is amazing, unfortunately a lot of it (maybe most of it?) gets exported :(
    Yeah. I couldn't afford much when I was there, for obvious reasons, but I have heard that. I did manage to try some fresh lobster a couple of years back, and that was, of course, delicious. But for the most part, the things I had in the dorms were hideous (haggis from a tin?), and the most popular place in town for the non-students was Greggs.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    @Bytebrain. just saw it now... Damn Ipad !!

Sorry to offend our nation in here....
    @Krypteia which Uni were you at?
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    @lordkim
    Well, Blood Sausage with suckers and syrup did put some strange images in my mind... :-)
    Took me a while to get rid of those images.. Lol
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

black pudding is like a cake made of meat ie the single greatest achievement of mankind

A little bit of eye leakage appeared after reading this line... It certainly puts the pyramids into perspective...

What's this about scots frying mars bars... They must have ran out of fish again at the the fish n chip shop...
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    Ive only heard of deep-fried butter and deep-fried mars bars served at state fairs here. My arteries exploded just thinking about it.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    TWO days, baby.
    Closing in on Christmas, in Denmark we like to eat a delicatesse named "Sylte".
    It's made out of pigs head, pigs feet and generally things you don't want to know about.

It tastes delicious... :)
    With mustard and beetroot :P
    ^^Yes!!^^
    On Rye Bread. :)
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Bytebrain said:

It's made out of pigs head, pigs feet and generally things you don't want to know about.

So it's like pickled trotters (pig's feet), they have those in Britain too...

Look into a Norwegian variety, smalahove. Smala means sheep and hove means head. It's exactly what it sounds like. You crack the skull open and eat the brain with mashed turnips and potatoes. It's so revolting they have to call it a delicacy...
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    Bytebrain said:

For real?

As for the blood pudding, what kind of a sucker does one dip in it.
    @Kristie83
    Yes, for real! :)
    it's actually very good..

You'll have to ask @lordkim about what kind of sucker, but I imagine a big one...
    @Sceptenar anything like this?
    It still has an eye!!!!! OMG!
    edited November 2012
    Sylte

@Bytebrain, thats evil man. Pure evil.. Sucker/sugar... Damn....
    Now THAT puts a doner kebab into perspective...
    That mash potato looks awful!
    Anduin said:

That mash potato looks awful!

The potatoes are fake/dehydrated, eww
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    @Moomintroll
    That's the one... yum...
    edited November 2012
    lordkim said:

Sylte

@Bytebrain, thats evil man. Pure evil.. Sucker/sugar... Damn....

:)
    I couldn't resist... Sorry. As we say in Danish: Den lå lige til højrebenet... :)
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    edited November 2012
    What!? The prud food traditions of my homeland is ridiculed! :D
    Kristie83 said:

It still has an eye!!!!! OMG!

The eye is the best part!
    And you rarly eat the brain as much, it tastes mostly like (any other part of) sheep =)

@Anduin "That mash potato looks awful!"

Yeah, the particular ones on the picture looks bad, but it is actually "raspeball", which is potato-based, tastes awesome usually we have them with sausage (made from sheep) and bacon. The ones on the picture doesnt actually look home-made. An aquired taste i might add...

And Ill probably make lasagne on the release day =)
This discussion has been closed.