Skip to content

3 Days till BG2:EE! What will you do on the day of release? (apart from stare at a download bar...)

Comments

• allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    Anduin said:

@Kristie83 OMG! OMG! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT A BATTERED SAUSAGE IS! WORSE A D O N E R K E B A B ! ! !

The food of kings is produced by taking one large sausage, I prefer a fine cumberland specimen, but any pork and savoury will suffice, and then dunk said sausage, in batter and then dunk in the deep fat frier to produce a battered sausage! I tell thee... The food of kings!

The food of emperors is the humble doner kebab... It's lamb meat that is first pulped and mashed then reconstituted into a cylinder. This cylinder is then place on a big metal stick and then slowly cooked on the spit, o that the fatty goodness dribbles down it's sides. In many chip shops it looks like the remains of an elephants leg.... It is then sliced into strips... I prefer to eat mine either on chips with lashings of mayo, or as traditional, placed inside pitta, or naan bread with salad and chilli sauce. In northern england, they place mint sauce on their kebabs... THIS IS WRONG! and is a big culinary no no...

I hope this answers your question!

@allhailsteve comes from Birmingham too and will back me up on this... Perhaps he can come round to my house for a doner and a game of BG:EE if I can get myself organised...

Confession: I've never had a doner kebab. Something about rendered, reconstituted lamb bits rotating on a spit never appealed to me for some strange reason!
    You can get deep fried mars bars in the north of England and in Scotland.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited November 2012
    @allhailsteve Tell me you drink tea over coffee, think that bacon, eggs, fried toast and sausage constitutes a hearty breakfast, and that the bullring is best piece of structural architecture on the planet NOW ! Or leave the country !

My wife is from Halifax (as in the lowest plane of hell on earth... From the well known saying Hell, Hull and Halifax) and she informs me that she has eaten a battered mars bar from a fish and chip shop in Leeds that ran out of fish...

@Elminster I swear we do not eat deep fried butter! That is a cardiac arrest just there, looking at the name!

@Kristie83 Those Gyros look JUST LIKE doner kebabs... They look like a greek version of the turkey version we have here... I think Bhaal himself would eat them! They definitely give you a strength bonus after a tiring night out of the beer... I think we call them after Donor as she was the first girl to eat them... And calling them Gyros would be silly as that is a form of paying people in the UK...
    It has come to my attention that I have derailed completely my own thread...

Although most people will have a snack on the day of release... so...
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Anduin said:

Yes. Yes you did.

Yeah, I will be drinking Mountain Dew. :D
    I do drink tea and enjoy the occasional fried breakfast. Am I redeemed?
    @Anduin wherabouts in Birmingham do you live?
    @allhailsteve

WELCOME BACK SON OF ALBION !

MAY THE SPIRIT OF ARTHUR PENDRAGON, ROBIN HOOD, RICHARD THE LIONHEART, SIR FRANCIS DRAKE, LORD NELSON AND WINSTON CHURCHILL FOREVER FLOW IN YOUR VIENS ! ! ! !

*ahem*

You really not eaten a donor kebab... They make 'em in Digbeth down the road...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    Quartz said:

Anduin said:

Yes. Yes you did.

Yeah, I will be drinking Mountain Dew. :D
    You could always get it deep fried.
    Anduin said:

@allhailsteve Tell me you drink tea over coffee, think that bacon, eggs, fried toast and sausage constitutes a hearty breakfast, and that the bullring is best piece of structural architecture on the planet NOW ! Or leave the country !

My wife is from Halifax (as in the lowest plane of hell on earth... From the well known saying Hell, Hull and Halifax) and she informs me that she has eaten a battered mars bar from a fish and chip shop in Leeds that ran out of fish...

@Elminster I swear we do not eat deep fried butter! That is a cardiac arrest just there, looking at the name!

@Kristie83 Those Gyros look JUST LIKE doner kebabs... They look like a greek version of the turkey version we have here... I think Bhaal himself would eat them! They definitely give you a strength bonus after a tiring night out of the beer... I think we call them after Donor as she was the first girl to eat them... And calling them Gyros would be silly as that is a form of paying people in the UK...

I'm just going to point out that there is actually a rather large city in Canada called Halifax (large by Canadian city standards) and while its kind of a drab place I wouldn't qualify it for being as you describe. I'm assuming you are talking about Halifax, England (which is smaller I would point out).
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    @elminster They have a Halifax too? I think Canada has basically copy and pasted everything from across the pond. Couldn't anyone think up something original? BTW, whats wrong with our Halifax? I've never been.
    Anduin said:

Haha! You could invent your own currency! Start paying everyone in Gyros instead of Euros!
    edited November 2012
    Kristie83 said:

@elminster They have a Halifax too? I think Canada has basically copy and pasted everything from across the pond. Couldn't anyone think up something original? BTW, whats wrong with our Halifax? I've never been.

Yea we copied the name from an English earl who took the name of the town when he became an earl. To be fair though Canada is unique, as is Toronto (people have copied it since but we were the first to use it). Generally though if it isn't coming from a native word we probably copied it from somewhere. :p

Halifax is very hilly, it rains a lot and gets hit by hurricanes coming up from the US coast (more than say Ontario), being big on architecture myself there really isn't anything special about it from that kind of standpoint (other than the citadel). Though interesting fact of any city in Canada it has the second highest number of bars per capita, next to St. John's, Newfoundland. But if you get the chance then go.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited November 2012
    Gallows and despair (work) from 10:00 to 21:00, listening to people gripe about their cards not swiping and blaming me for overdrafts, and then rushing home to some tea with my mother, followed by Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Thursdays, I'm off!
    @Elminster There are even lower planes of hell in Canada... I heard that the saying Hell, Halifax and Winnipeg is oft quoted.

Hull and Halifax are seen as hellish places in England as it breeds many mass murderers, the Yorkshire ripper for example, it has the highest index of obesity, highest concentration of special educational needs, and they also appear to live in the 70's still. On top of that most denizens of Hull and Halifax appear to have been hit with the ugly stick... If I did not know any better... I reckon Hull and Halifax is full of Orcs, Half-Orcs and Dwarves... Thus explaining the low intelligence and charisma of the populace...

Now as a Brummie, I can categorically inform you that this city is obviously the home of the elves and half-elves... I think Birmingham was twinned with Myth Drannor in it's hayday...
    Anduin said:

@Elminster There are even lower planes of hell in Canada... I heard that the saying Hell, Halifax and Winnipeg is oft quoted.

Hull and Halifax are seen as hellish places in England as it breeds many mass murderers, the Yorkshire ripper for example, it has the highest index of obesity, highest concentration of special educational needs, and they also appear to live in the 70's still. On top of that most denizens of Hull and Halifax appear to have been hit with the ugly stick... If I did not know any better... I reckon Hull and Halifax is full of Orcs, Half-Orcs and Dwarves... Thus explaining the low intelligence and charisma of the populace...

Now as a Brummie, I can categorically inform you that this city is obviously the home of the elves and half-elves... I think Birmingham was twinned with Myth Drannor in it's hayday...

Sounds dreadful. Can't say I've ever heard of the expression Brummie before :)
    elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

Yea we copied the name from an English earl who took the name of the town when he became an earl. To be fair though Canada is unique, as is Toronto (people have copied it since but we were the first to use it). Generally though if it isn't coming from a native word we probably copied it from somewhere. :p

Halifax is very hilly, it rains a lot and gets hit by hurricanes coming up from the US coast (more than say Ontario), being big on architecture myself there really isn't anything special about it from that kind of standpoint (other than the citadel). Though interesting fact of any city in Canada it has the second highest number of bars per capita, next to St. John's, Newfoundland. But if you get the chance then go.
    I've always wanted to go to the east coast...Equipped with the knowledge of the abundance of bars, now I have a reason!
    edited November 2012
    @allhailsteve I live near the longbridge :)
    Kristie83 said:

elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

I've always wanted to go to the east coast...Equipped with the knowledge of the abundance of bars, now I have a reason!
    Go for it.
    elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

Go for it.
    Yeah, I'll start walking tonight, lol!
    Kristie83 said:

elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

Go for it.
    Yea I'm sure its like the distance across the west edmonton mall. Just a leisurely day journey :)
    elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

Go for it.
    Yea I'm sure its like the distance across the west edmonton mall. Just a leisurely day journey :)
    I'll get rides from hitchhikers. I'll get by on my good looks, and charming and witty personality, lol!
    Anduin said:

@allhailsteve I live near the longbridge :)

I live in South Birmingham too. Small World!
    Time to change the title of the thread again, its only 2 more get-ups now! Getting excited!!!
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    How the HELL did that train car DOUBLE STACK? DOES IT THINK IT'S AN OREO?!??!
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Anduin said:

As far as I am aware... We Brits do not eat battered mars bars... This is something most silly done in america. The most silly thing we do eat is black pudding... Pigs blood, boiled into a paste then chilled and bagged in the same manner as a sausage...

I like mine cold on a cracker... yum!

We call that bloodsausage in Denmark. We eat it with sucker and sirup :P
    edited November 2012
    stygga said:

How the HELL did that train car DOUBLE STACK? DOES IT THINK IT'S AN OREO?!??!

No though it might contain some. :)
  • KrypteiaKrypteia Member Posts: 50
    For me, the day of release falls on the first day of my "weekend" (I work exceedingly odd hours). So I'm going down to the supermarket, stocking up on supplies. I'm switching my phone off, soundproofing the door so my annoying neighbours don't disturb me, tidying my flat so I don't have to worry about that distraction for the next couple of days and then, I'm going to play.

And play and play and play. I might take a very brief break to have a look at the Omega DLC for Mass Effect 3 being released the day before, but probably only for the opening mission. Then it'll be back to aimlessly wandering the Sword Coast and running away from scary, top-level enemies like...bears.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    lordkim said:

Anduin said:

As far as I am aware... We Brits do not eat battered mars bars... This is something most silly done in america. The most silly thing we do eat is black pudding... Pigs blood, boiled into a paste then chilled and bagged in the same manner as a sausage...

I like mine cold on a cracker... yum!

We call that bloodsausage in Denmark. We eat it with sucker and sirup :P
    @LordKim
    As I'm from Denmark too, I would like to defend the nation and point out, that while you might like your Blood Sausage with suckers, most of us prefer to eat it with a bit of sugar.. :-) :-)
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    In the UK it is customary to go to a kebab shop when you are..

a) so drunk that you would get thrown out of anywhere else.
    b) so drunk that you don't care about what you're eating.

I hope that tells you all you need to know about our kebabs!
    (black pudding is like a cake made of meat ie the single greatest achievement of mankind)
This discussion has been closed.