Skip to content

What If This Forum Was a Bar?

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

Pass the bottle please. Interesting to see how rum interacts with my post surgery painkillers.

Did it onice (with cachaça)

Don't do it.

Just don't.

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Ooh I love cachaça. Caipirinha is so bloody good.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

Ooh I love cachaça. Caipirinha is so bloody good.

It is, but not when you can't be sure if your lungs are working properly and if you are swallowing saliva because every part of your body is numb.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511

Can I have rum in my tea?

Isn't that Jaegartee? Or is that more like "tea in my rum"? ;)
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Wouldn't "Jaegartee" be tea with Jägermeister? Or what do you mean?
    Cause if it's with rum I just call it grog.

Just Googled and apparently proper Austrian Jägertee is made with a special spiced rum called Strohrum, but you can make it with any ovenproof rum mixed with red wine and plum brandy.

Although I'm now interested to see what tea with Jägermeister would taste like...
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Squire said:

Just Googled and apparently proper Austrian Jägertee is made with a special spiced rum called Strohrum, but you can make it with any ovenproof rum mixed with red wine and plum brandy.

Although I'm now interested to see what tea with Jägermeister would taste like...

Earl Grey with a shot of Jaeger? Bergamot & licorice might be a new taste sensation!
    Tea with Jägermeister sounds like something to drink when you have a cold.
    I once gargled Jägermeister when I had come down with a very bad cold but my friends and I still wanted to go out.
    It didn't help, but it was an experience :V
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    If you have a cold, you should eat several cloves of raw garlic.
    Apparently it's also quite an experience, as @Tresset had testified :)

For cold weather I just make gluhwein with cinnamon and black pepper. Hot!
    You guys have me wondering now. Next time I have a cold I might try some tea with Jaeger and add some honey. It might not help much but if taken before bedtime it'd probably work better than Nyquil!
    Mmmm, glühwein... you just can't beat a glühwein in the late-winter sun on top of a mountain after a morning of skiing!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    This all sounds like Greek to me.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    ThacoBell said:

This all sounds like Greek to me.

But surely ouzo doesn't sound like Greek to you! -rimshot-

Also, has anyone actually tried wassail? I find it wonderfully endearing that Korgan invites you for a day of grave robbing and hot mulled cider.
    My go-to cold medicine is a mug of hot vegetable broth with a dash of hot sauce. Clears up the sinuses like a charm and it makes the entire head go numb, so the pain goes away for a while.

Other than that, my special brew: One can of camomile tea with a bag of hot lemon (it's a drinking powder that you can get at the pharmacy) and lots of honey.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited February 2018
    JoenSo said:

Also, has anyone actually tried wassail?

This seems pretty quite close to what I call making gluhwein - I use half red wine and half canned apple juice, and often add orange peeling as well.

My go-to cold medicine is a mug of hot vegetable broth with a dash of hot sauce. Clears up the sinuses like a charm and it makes the entire head go numb, so the pain goes away for a while.

So does garlic, and it has some actual antiseptic effects on top of that. My favorite is to crush or grate 3-4 cloves, mix with grated cheese and a spoon of mayonnaise, and eat with a plate of steaming hot potato. The meal usually involves a couple trips to the bathroom... to clear sinuses :)
    Followed by with a mug of something spiced (gluhwein works just fine), it's usually enough to keep the cold away till the next day, if not cure it outright.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Wouldn't "Jaegartee" be tea with Jägermeister? Or what do you mean?
    Cause if it's with rum I just call it grog.

Never thought you were a BC fan

Squire said:

Mmmm, glühwein... you just can't beat a glühwein in the late-winter sun on top of a mountain after a morning of skiing!

Gluhwein sounds like fermented Elmer's Glue to me. Out of curiosity, where do you find the umlaut u character? My Android phone doesn't seem to have it (unless it's hidden somewhere). I could look real continental on this forum if I could utilize my three years of college German to better effect!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Balrog99 Press and hold u
    It’s actually spelled glúûüùūhwëęin.
    I'm not using an android phone so I wouldn't know, but on a PC keyboard it's alt+0252. I know all of those keystrokes off by heart (at least for German letters) but if you want to find out what they are they're all in the Character Map - find the letter you want and click on it and it should tell you the keystrokes to get it.

If you don't have that character, all umlaut letters can be represented by sticking an e on the end, so ae is the equivalent of ä etc. You can therefore write Gluehwein, which sounds even more like Elmer's glue! :lol:

btw û = alt+251, if you want to write Faerûn properly. ;)

Oh, and Glühwein is the German word for mulled wine.
    Sometimes I just copy-paste the letter I need from wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin-script_letters
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2018
    Balrog99 said:

Squire said:

Gluhwein sounds like fermented Elmer's Glue to me. Out of curiosity, where do you find the umlaut u character? My Android phone doesn't seem to have it (unless it's hidden somewhere). I could look real continental on this forum if I could utilize my three years of college German to better effect!
    On most Android keyboards you just have to hold the letter to have a pop up with all the special characters associated with that letter. So by holding u you'd get ú, ù, ü, etc...
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    At closing time, the bartender gives me a nod and, once again, I say “Did I ever tell you a out the time I saw John Mellencamp, Lou Reed, and John Prine for a $2 cover?” People would be out so fast you wouldn’t see them for the dust.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited February 2018
    JoenSo said:

If you can’t flirt by talking keystrokes and Latin script letters you need to step up your game @Skatan

A bar where I couldn't flirt by talking keystrokes and Latin script letters would not be a bar that I would go to.
    edited February 2018
    Don’t listen to @Buttercheese - Ǧlūhvvęïň is the correct alternative spelling.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    JoenSo said:

If you can’t flirt by talking keystrokes and Latin script letters you need to step up your game @Skatan

Hey, I'm willing to learn. Care to show off your epic flirtation skills @joenso? :D I'm sure the whole forum would love to read your best pick-up lines involving keystrokes and latin script letters. Add in som ASCII, some .bat files and how to best compress your files and I think we have a winner ;)
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited February 2018
    Skatan said:

JoenSo said:

Hey, I'm willing to learn. Care to show off your epic flirtation skills @joenso? :D I'm sure the whole forum would love to read your best pick-up lines involving keystrokes and latin script letters.
    "Is that an I with ogonek, diaeresis, and acute in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"