Skip to content

If Beamdog Could Enhance Any Game Ever Made...

2»

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    ..and speaking of which, this leads me of course to:

Command & Conquer - the original from 95

What can I say about it? It's just the best RTS ever made (comparable to starcraft 1, they share the top spot for me).

It had cool units andn buiuldings, insanely tense battles, multiple different strategies, very different 'races' (only two though) with different units but was somehow still balanced enough even though the bad guys had inferior tanks they had ie stealth units to compensate. It was innovate in many ways, including point and click devastatitn weapons (the ion cannon and nukes) but also different air units, stealth units, superfast units you could just rush into the enemy base and kill their master building with etc. So much variety, so much fun.

It also had an editor which you could create your own missions and maps in which was very good (for the time). I spent many hours on my brothers computer creating cool single player missions and MP maps.

EE should of course make it run great on modern comps, increase the resolution and create a good platform for MP games.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited February 2018
    It's interesting that back in the day, Warcraft and Warcraft 2 had actually different races lorewise (Humans and Orcs), whereas Dune2 and C&C had only Humans. However, the Humans and Orcs from Warcraft and Warcraft 2 were more alike (really, the only difference was the spells they could cast and the Marksman vs Regeneration niche upgrade), than the different faction in Dune2 and C&C.

Still, C&C just didn't really do it for me.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Hey, I like silly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF41F0vvF2I

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    DrakeICN said:

Exile II: Crystal Souls

It was made in about 1998 by Spiderweb softwares (I don't remember the exact name of the company, but it's something like that). It was the first RPG that I'd ever played and I liked it. It's got a lot of depth in the mechanics and gameplay. The character customisation options are excellent. And the story too is great.

(I'm afraid I cannot provide a screenshot at the moment as I'm far away from my PC.)

The original interface is somewhat chunky and several things can be improved and enhanced. Graphics, Interaction with NPCs and a little of the gameplay mechanics are the main things that need improvement. Even then, it's a very enjoyable game!

And oh yes, if an Android version could be made as well, it would be just great!

Exile 2 has been remade;
    https://www.gog.com/game/avernum_2_crystal_souls

Though, I am not quite sure if the graphics actually are any better, and the game still suffers from that you very rapidly get overpowered as you level. In fact, as I remember, you needed more levels to be basically untouchable in Exile 2 than you do in Avernum 2.

Edit: Also, it used to exist for Android, but then they pulled the plug... just like you can't get Shadowrun Hong Kong for android and SoD still isn't on android despite BD claiming they have every intention of getting round to it. Problem is, android isn't a very profitable platform, it seems.
    The original Exile 2 was far better than Avernum, in my opinion. I tried the latter once, but it's completely different and doesn't have that old charm. It's good that I still have the Exile series on my PC, though I don't play it much these days.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited February 2018
    M&M series; the first RPG that i've played was M&M VII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_pda-vSOkc

-------------------

Also, Arcanum and VTMB.

Arcanum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP4dQWn3GJo

VTMB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNa4wGINOro
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'd like to see an Enhanced Edition of Nox. It's a great game, but it doesn't run reliably on more recent computers, and rigging Nox to be more compatible for newer systems is the kind of thing that Beamdog excels at.

It would also be nice to see some new content for Nox. The game is very linear, for one thing, and randomizing some things would make things more interesting. Plus, the spell system is unbalanced and not very versatile. A lot of cool spells like Death Ray or Fist of Vengeance are either too mana-intensive to be practical or just aren't available until very late in the game.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Dark Sun and it's sequel. Already an enjoyable experience despite its withering graphics and it's open ended world allows a lot more content to be created. It's a 2nd edition game so we all know the rules, but the universal psionics and the elemental spheres for divine casting give it a lot more variety.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174

UFO: Enemy Unknown (apparently a.k.a. X-Com: UFO Defense in North America), I loved that game.

EDIT! WHAT THE F'ING F!!! XCOM 2!! RELEASED IN 2016 BY FIRAXIS! NEVER HEARD OF IT!!!!!1111ONEONEONE! WANT WANT WANT WANT!

Edit 2: What can I say, Beamdog games tend to occupy my attention. :smile:

Open X-com is a free alternative also, I'm running it on android. Basically the original with the option of a ton of crazy mods like Cyber Piratez.

• Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    I believe these are the ones that could gain most out of an enhanced version, from the games I know at least:
    - Pool of Radiance
    - Arcanum

Not gonna happen for sure, but still would love to have:
    - Might and Magic 7, and then 5 & 6 as well
    Ludwig_II said:

I believe these are the ones that could gain most out of an enhanced version, from the games I know at least:
    - Pool of Radiance
    - Arcanum

Not gonna happen for sure, but still would love to have:
    - Might and Magic 7, and then 5 & 6 as well

IF i remember correctly M&M "rights" are with Bugsoft(not sure), so will be pretty hard to get the legal rights to remake any M&M series. Arcanum i don't know but is probably easier.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited February 2018
    I mentioned the Gold Box in IE before but I can't help mentioning the awesome battle against the Mulmaster Beholder Corps that consumed many hours of my time two decades ago. A buddy if mine even beat them without using the Dust of Disappearance! I would imagine that battle being quite epic in the Infinity Engine without the Shield of Balduran...
    Vtmb have any chances to be "enhanced"?
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

Vtmb have any chances to be "enhanced"?

Don't count on it. Just play with the fan patch installed.
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    Pool of Radiance to Pools of Darkness.

Ultima VII Black Gate & Serpent Isle

Might & Magic IV & V

Wizardry VI to VIII.
    Matthieu said:

Might & Magic IV & V

Wizardry VI to VIII.

Wizardry 8 was pretty good. The unique problem is the slow combat animations. That killed the game IMHO
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    IWD2
    Temple of Elemental Evil
  • MateoFrozenMateoFrozen Member Posts: 82
    @SorcererV1ct0r
    About rights, the game was published by Sierra, and then was eventually bought by Activision.
    Activision is listed on GOG game page.

Matthieu said:

Might & Magic IV & V

Wizardry VI to VIII.

Wizardry 8 was pretty good. The unique problem is the slow combat animations. That killed the game IMHO
    Actually Wizardry 6 to 8 form a trilogy, you can export your characters from the 6 into the 7 and from the 7 into the 8. So a Wizardy trilogy EE would be great.

Might and Magic 4 & 5 are even more original, you could install them both in the same directory and merge the games into one. This was possible because the world of the game is flat, M&M4 is on one side and the 5 on the other. Some places can only be accessed with both games installed.

Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness form a saga too like the Baldur's Gate one.
    edited March 2018
    You know, if I had a wet dream it would be EE versions of old SSI games redone in the unity engine (like PoE or Tyranny).

Say the Pool of Radiance to Pools of Darkness series I mentionned but also the Dragonlance saga (Champion of Krynn, Death Knight of Krynn, Dark Queen of Krynn) and most specifically the Dark Sun games (Shattered Lands & Wake of the Ravager), these have the potential for being great but plagued by bugs.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited March 2018
    I had Death knights of Krynn on my old Amiga and tried my best to play that game many times. Never did finish the first battle IIRC. I don't remember the details, but I have a vague recollection of creating a bunch of characters and then immediately being thrown into a huge battle with all my guys scattered over a vast field and seeing them die one after another, overrun by hellhounds or whatever it was attacking me.

Edit: Woulnd't mind an EE that perhaps could let me redeem myself, haha :D I totally sucked at those older D&D games, same with the Dark sun game where you start as gladiators or whatever. Tried that one as well but died horribly, hehe.. I wasn't into RPGs as much back then.