Skip to content

What motivates you the most on your Adventure?

Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
Whether it's just another interesting playthrough of the BG Saga, or it's your first playthrough of an RPG that is completely new to you, there are certain aspects which we find more enjoyable and "rewarding" than others, which we always look forward to in our adventure. It may be the joy of finding new, powerful weapons, fighting new monsters, or simply exploring the storyline, the various decisions and their consequences.

So, which particular aspect motivates you the most to keep on playing and enjoying the game? :smiley:
  1. What motivates you the most on your Adventure?40 votes
    1. Loot: Finding, buying, or winning (from tough battles) powerful and unique weapons, items and magic scrolls, and learning to use them effectively in various situations.
        5.00%
    2. Experience and Levels: Gaining EXP from battles and quests, and progressing up in Levels, subsequently gaining new abilities and powers, and using them in tougher battles.
      30.00%
    3. Monsters and other Challenges: Facing new monsters and deadly traps, as well as puzzles and riddles, and trying out new tactics against them.
      12.50%
    4. Story and Exploration: Getting immersed in the storyline, considering the various decisions and their consequences, role-playing, as well as exploring new and old locations, their people and secrets.
      47.50%
    5. Other: All good polls have an "Other" option.
        5.00%
Post edited by Rik_Kirtaniya on

Comments

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742

Does restartitus count as motivation?

Of course! ;)
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    ThacoBell said:

Getting more specific, character interactions. I can engage with well written characters again and again. There was a period of about 4 years where I didn't play BG before the EEs came out. They were what got me back into the series. I remember hearing "Heya, its me, Imoen" and feeling like I was seeing an old friend after a long time apart.

True that. Weird how imaginary or fictional characters can elicit real emotional responses from us. I have the same thing with Kresselack and a plethora of other fictional characters from other works, such as Samwise from LOTR (book, not movie).
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    I think games are boring if fights are to easy, or to grindy. I always adjust difficulty and refuse exploitations (unless, ironically, the game is crazy unbalanced, in which case I consider it necessary) and powergaming (like a hammer paladin in Diablo). I love making non-standard builds, especially if those are considered teh suck, like my Diablo II melee sorc (but I haven't played that shit in ages, I am philosophically opposed to the ridicolously low drop rates and now that Grim Dawn exist, why would anyone ever play the inferior Blizzard games ever again?)

Which is why I hate hate hate NWN; easy, boring and grindy. (And again, why would anyone play NWN now that DA:O exist... and why would anyone play DA:O now that infinitely much better PoE exist!!?)
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    While I love the story in the Baldur's Gate games, there's nothing like an epic level mage completely obliterating your enemies with the dozens of spells in your arsenal. Mages are just about the only class I've ever played just for this reason - I love the power progression, and your ultimate "cheesiness" by the end of ToB. When I was younger and first started playing Baldur's Gate 2, I was in absolute awe of Irenicus's magical abilities; I was quite disappointed when I learned I couldn't use them myself. After the encounter with Irenicus in the promenade, my catch phrase for charname quickly became YOU WILL SUFFER, YOU WILL ALL SUFFER! ;)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Story telling is a close second, however if I'm not invested in the character I am playing than the story being told can be lost. I want my character to have personal growth. Having a story told while they do it makes it much better however.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I like all these aspects pretty much equally, but I chose story and exploration because I include atmosphere and flavour in that category. My games are a mix of RP and power/meta gaming, and while some criticize the BG series for being a monty haul, those items are damn fun to use and add flavour to my builds. I would say the kits are also vital in keeping my interest. I don't think I'll ever be able to play a game again in which the classes are generic fighter, rogue, wizard, etc.. Give me a stalker, a blackguard, an undead hunter...
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Breasts. Because I have a Y chromosome.

@Rik_Kirtaniya: great poll. Really makes you see how other prefer their game.

Thanks @StummvonBordwehr! :)
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Additionally the camaraderie of the no-reload crew B).
    tbone1 said:

Seriously, I need to add JOKE to this? Please, people.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    tbone1 said:

tbone1 said:

Maybe it wasn't funny?
    ThacoBell said:

tbone1 said:

tbone1 said:

Maybe it wasn't funny?
    Fair enough, but it was obviously an attempt at humor. Or so I thought.

edited March 2018
    tbone1 said:

ThacoBell said:

tbone1 said:

tbone1 said:

Maybe it wasn't funny?

Never mind, @tbone1. Jokes can misfire.

By the way, would you like to have a Helmet of Charm Protection? :D
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    tbone1 said:

ThacoBell said:

tbone1 said:

tbone1 said:

Maybe it wasn't funny?

Try adding a "wah wah" at the end. Or a fart joke, those are ALWAYS classy.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,351
    tbone1 said:

ThacoBell said:

tbone1 said:

tbone1 said:

Maybe it wasn't funny?

@tbone1
    It actually was a good joke imo. @semiticgod has recently posted a page from the Baldurs gate trilogy novels, and breasts seems to be important to the young Abdel - that reference made your joke well timed (besides mentioning breasts).

I will check out of this thread to see if I can find another thread where I can mansplain a joke...
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    Mostly the rp part. I think of a new charname, his character, how would he react, crop a new portrait and play accordingly, sometimes making the choices even if I know ill lose the best rewards.