Skip to content

The Thread for Mirth/Share your Laughter

Comments

• Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Arvia wrote: »
    My son got The Comic Bible from the library. Satan in the desert looks like a Sith Lord :D
    kraa6r9swzll.jpg

Before opening the spoiler tag I expected Satan to look like Darth Maul. My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Dev6 wrote: »
    My son got The Comic Bible from the library. Satan in the desert looks like a Sith Lord :D
    kraa6r9swzll.jpg

Before opening the spoiler tag I expected Satan to look like Darth Maul. My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.

He looks like the weasely cousin of Palpatine. Probably introduced him to drugs as kids too.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I was walking through South Lake Union and saw this on a crosswalk button and had a good laugh.
    aws.jpg
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited May 2019
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Dev6 wrote: »
    kraa6r9swzll.jpg

He looks like the weasely cousin of Palpatine. Probably introduced him to drugs as kids too.

I think it shows just how firmly entrenched Star Wars philosophy and tropes have become into our culture. Now, even the illustrators of kids' Bibles know that Emperor Palpatine and every lie he spews out of his mouth equal Satan. :)

That brings me great mirth and laughter. George Lucas, whatever he may have done to alienate his older fans by trying to skew his later direction towards kids and CGI technology, is absolutely "The Man" to me, or at least, he was in his youth with his original vision. Which was actually Carl Jung's and Joseph Campbell's vision, so, I guess maybe Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell are "The Man" to me.

Although, since I have just devoted my entire life to classical orchestral music because of John William's soundtrack for Star Wars, maybe he's really the one I should consider "The Man".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGYAPr6UKhs

That Moosebutter video also brings me great mirth and laughter. :)
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Well, the illustrator of that particular "Kinderbibel", the Spanish artist Picanyol who was born in 1948, was probably not inspired by Star Wars. But he should have been!

@BelgarathMTH , heck, yes, John Williams *is* The Man!
    We had a really cool old Catholic monk in my school, my trumpet teacher, who taught all the kids for free and even let us keep the school instruments to take home and practice. We were soooo happy when one day he handed out the sheets and it was The Imperial March (the other themes were way beyond our league)!
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    @mlnevese Then I bow to your experience, as you must know more about telepathy. What kind of material would you recommend for a mind shield?

Why would you want to block the advice of a superior intelligence???
    @Balrog99 , I wanted to block out the noises of all the thoughts around me!

Oh boy, I really hope that not everyone around me is a superior intelligence. *looks around* okay, the rabbits probably not. *takes the helmet off*
    Superior intelligences, please make yourselves at home in my head and help me with my decisions.

*puts on her helmet again*
    Didn't sense anything. Everybody is asleep. Except for the rabbits and me.

I'd prefer to have my mind infiltrated by superior wisdom, anyway.

And reading my nonsense post tells me I should really sign out now and make some coffee.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Wait...you post before coffee? That should be a violation of forum rules. Why would you do such a thing to yourself?
    @shabadoo , sorry for breaking the rules. It was only because everybody is on the other side of the screen. I wouldn't put anyone in danger by talking to them before my first cup of coffee ?. That's almost as dangerous as talking to me when hungry.

I woke up at 4am because of a storm and had to make sure my daughter's rabbits were fine in the garden. I was still hoping for sleep when I signed in, but of course I lost track of time and then it was 6:30 and the chance for sleep was over. That's when the first, second and third cup of coffee prepared me for my beloved but crazy children ?.
    @Arvia, been there...all is forgiven.lol
    @shabadoo , right, I remember you mentioning grandchildren, so you know more about it than me ?
    It doesn't get easier when your old as me. I've more experience with children's behavior, better answers to their questions etc.. But not the energy to keep up with them. Coffee is my life's blood nowadays
    Although, since I have just devoted my entire life to classical orchestral music because of John William's soundtrack for Star Wars, maybe he's really the one I should consider "The Man".

@BelgarathMTH , I've just noticed that I wasn't paying close attention to the tense you were using. That sounds like a recent change?
    @Arvia , no, I probably wasn't clear. I was thinking of my entire life as a single unit, as though the entire 53 years was "just now". I was kind of existing in the eternal present where time is meaningless at the moment I wrote that.

I knew I wanted to be a classical musician by the time I was 14.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    https://youtu.be/pqPi8WsOr3Q

I'd play the bloody hell out of this with the infamous Squid-Turtle! :smirk:
    @BelgarathMTH , ah okay, sorry for the misunderstanding. My brain is still fuzzy after being repeatedly Dire Charmed by women with blue skin (going to write another story tonight, I think) ?

Eternal present sounds good. Sounds calm.

Always knowing what you wanted to do sounds good, too.
    I wanted to be an archeologist or an astronaut when I was 14.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I tool around in Photoshop sometimes and I use fairly non-descriptive filenames like "zigzag 1d" or "red 4a" for my projects. I made a new file today and I can't help but wonder what someone might think if they glanced at my computer when I was away and saw a mysterious Photoshop file on my computer with the filename "almost a face 1."
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @BelgarathMTH
    Sad part is, that is basically something I would do.
    @Arvia , you'd think her mother was a medical doctor, or something. :)
    @BelgarathMTH , perhaps. At least it proves that I'm not a creationist ?. Or maybe it's because her grandfather is so hairy o:)
    @Arvia, why can't it be both? Your daughter showed great "out of the box" thinking at such an early age. Sounds like some challenging debate for a parent.
    @shabadoo , I think you might have misunderstood me. I thought it was really cool that she wrote such a thing when she was only 6 years old, and she knew exactly why. I've never given them "because I said so" or "you'll understand when you're older" answers. I explain everything as best as I can and encourage them to question things. It's exhausting of course, because they question me all the time ?. But I can't expect them to just do what they're told and suddenly be independent thinkers when they turn 18 ?.
    @Arvia, no...I meant that she was indeed very smart. She knew enough, and was able to see beyond the expected interpretation of such a vague question. As she gets older she'll learn to use this in arguments. It was kind of a joke on how difficult children can sometimes be, and intelligent one's especially so.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    @shabadoo , okay, sorry for the misunderstanding. I guess it was a "before coffee" state of mind, even if it wasn't.

Yep, challenging, but fun.

Here's another story which happened last summer:
    We had one of those small inflatable swimming pools for kids in the garden, and there was a wasp drowning in it. My heroic daughter, she was 9 then, fished her out with her bare hand and got stung.
    It hurt, of course, but she was mostly angry and devastated because that darned wasp was so ungrateful! (She had done that before and it had worked).
    Her brother, 7 then, looked at her and said: "Don't take it personally. It's an invertebrate. They've got no brains."

It's the thought that counts. Because of stings I got as a child I declared war on wasps when I was her age. Oh the genocide I inflicted on the poor wasps and hornets anywhere near my house! I forgave them later and now leave them alone unless they intrude on my deck...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @shabadoo , okay, sorry for the misunderstanding. I guess it was a "before coffee" state of mind, even if it wasn't.

We had one of those small inflatable swimming pools for kids in the garden, and there was a wasp drowning in it. My heroic daughter, she was 9 then, fished her out with her bare hand and got stung.
    It hurt, of course, but she was mostly angry and devastated because that darned wasp was so ungrateful! (She had done that before and it had worked).
    Her brother, 7 then, looked at her and said: "Don't take it personally. It's an invertebrate. They've got no brains."

Fun fact: Wasps are smart enough, and so visually oriented, that they can recognize and remember human faces! The first wasp probably hung around long enough to get used to your families' prescence. The second one that stung was probably a stranger.

That reminds me of the parable of the fox, the scorpion, and the river. "Why did you sting me? Now we'll both drown!" "It is my nature."
    Hmph. I usually correct my errors once I find them, but I have been quoted, so it doesn't make sense. I wrote "her" instead of "it". In German, wasps are female.
    Especially the nasty ones.