Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! Module Download

2»

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,009
    edited June 2019
    Having more Gnolls is fun, I was pleasantly surprised at the large number of guards at the front gate. But having literal dozens of gnolls per spawn group every three steps in the tight platforms of the stronghold is kinda of a clustercluck. That part could do with some tuning down.

Goruma
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 925
    Yeah true. Needs like a dungeon to shove all the extra gnolls into. Meed some friends to worth with; makes it more fun. Fun = productivity.

I think the Gnoll stronghold is big enough, especially sense most player do that quest pretty early into the game. Making the dungeon bigger also won't solve the issue of inflated xp and treasure.

WithinAmnesia
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 208
    While I appreciate what you are saying @ThacoBell I have to admit that I enjoy it the way it is. The downside is the overly lucrative loot drops for sure. I suppose if the mobs were reduced by three dozen or so we would still get the feeling of being swamped but the loot and extra XP would not be so excessive. I try to clear this map without resting due to the availability of dropped healing pots. Lots of good 2 hr duration buff potions can be well utilised here and aoe/charged items give great value too.

All that being said, it is not necessary to go through the stronghold if you are not on the rescue Dyna quest. Before this mod I just cleared the bridge and caves for the loot if Minsc and/or Edwin were not involved.

WithinAmnesia
  • polymorphedsquirrelpolymorphedsquirrel Member Posts: 114
    Hi,
    Doesn't work on iOS (SoD on iOS is a standalone app, not an expansion to BG). As far as I can say, only area files are missing, or at least that's what is always the mod failure reason for me. Log attached.

WithinAmnesia
    @polymorphedsquirrel Hmm weird. AR4501.ARE is missing it says. *checks the area* yeah that is the Wyvern Cave area. Now if I remember correctly that area had no area script (missing a AR4501.BCS file / script file) to add to so it needed to have one created for it and then it could be added on to (if I remember correctly). So I had troubles with that area in the the past and now it has compatibility issues. You might be able to throw a blank AR4501.BCS file into the override manually and it might work after that, although don't hold your breath.

Now I did not add any area files (also I am bad with WeiDU) and I patched in the new content via area scripts (the .BCS script files which go with .ARE files - the area main file basically).

SO! I noticed that once the installer was trying to patch a pre-existing area (AR4501.ARE) it failed to find AR4501.ARE (Wyvern cave). Now I did not add any .ARE (area) files. I just added on to the ones already there from the Windows version. Now, I did not know what kind of files are used for area files for Baldur's Gate in IOS version (I only got the Windows version working) so I am not sure what I can say.

Do most mods work on IOS or is this an odd case?

I keep getting weird Baldur's Gate version compatibly error reports and I do not know how to fix these issues for I only have Baldur's Gate on Windows PC, I am not good at WeiDU (the installer program to used to patch Baldur's Gate) so I wish I could do more to help but it seems like an issue with the file patching and not the files for on Windows PC it works.

Hmm, I am trying to think of who would know how to solve these weird compatibility issues with WeiDU file patching.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/73729/how-to-replace-or-delete-an-area-actor-from-a-preexisting-area/p1 Here is where I sought help with WeiDU for I am not good at using it. Perhaps there is a better WeiDU operator who could help you to get the module to work on IOS for I do not know what to do nor do I have a work station to develop for IOS.

It would be great if I could get more compatibility yet for right now all I know how to do Is on Windows PC for that is all I have at the moment. If I had more resources I could afford to make more work stations to problem solve these kinds of issues although right now I am just a guy on Windows PC making free content as a hobby.

There is probably a solution how to patch the content files for IOS but I do not know how to do this. You would actually be in a better spot how to ask to make WeiDU patch IOS for you have the system and I do not; which is odd but you could test and iterate on IOS while I currently cannot. An odd point but true all the same.

edited June 2019
    Wait. "SoD on iOS is a standalone app, not an expansion to BG" @polymorphedsquirrel

On the windows version of Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear all of the game files of Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear are shared. Meaning Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition (with SoD installed) can access SoD content like items, creatures, scripts etc.

Now! If Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear is a stand alone game on IOS that would mean that there is no need for the first part of Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. If your IOS version of Baldur's Gate Siege of Dragonspear is a true standalone game my module will not work for it needs Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition files to work.

Baldur's Gate II does not require Original Baldur's Gate files / content to play, you can install BGII and play starting with 89,000 xp from a new character. This is because Baldur's Gate II is a standalone game. Yet Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal is not a standalone game and it requires Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn to be installed.

I do not know what Beamdog did to fit Siege of Dragonspear on the IOS but all of Siege of Dragonspear's areas and files can be run alone from Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and still work. I know that ~everything that is a Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear file has the prefix "BS" in front of it. So a Siege of Dragonspear area would be like BS0100.ARE for example. A bastard sword would be BSSW1H01.ITM as another example.

Now It would not be legal for myself to throw you Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition game files to you to link your game together to play my module. It sucks but it has to be played a version of Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear with both the Baldur's Gate patch 2.0+ and the Siege of Dragonspear installed together. So to access some SoD content (like items and scripts) in Baldur's Gate patch 2.0+. This is effectively back porting content from SoD into the original quest of Baldur's Gate. I did this style of content retrofitting in a few areas throughout the main game 'play through path'. In some cases I added more content that would normally only be accessible later in the saga in some 'dry' play style areas of the first game. Such as answering a lack of abundant magical Ninjato and Wakizashi swords and magical Hide and Splint mail armour during the early chapters.

I think we are not understanding each other.
    I own BGEE and BG2EE on iOS, too - but they are separate apps and they can't share files with each other.
    For all intents and purposes, SoD is a separate application which happens to include BGEE; it is only normally sold as DLC requireing BG1 for marketing reasons, but if you purchased it from Beamdog, it installs as a standalone aside from the BG1 you own (don't know about Steam etc).
    SoD for iOS has been cutdown to offer only the SoD campaign as a standalone app. As far as I can say, all items, creatures, etc from BG1EE are present there, too. Area files for the BG portion are missing though.

I don't know what exactly your mod does not having played it, but I would presume it consists of BG1 and SoD content. Perhaps it is then possible to not fail with an error when patching the areas from BG1? Or move them to a separate component? Or does it only retrofit SoD items to the BG1 campaign? I don't know the extent to which it is done, but there are many mods that bring back items from BG2 to BG1 for example and it always seemed to be ok (hell, BGT and EET exist after all!). The chances someone installing mods doesn't own the whole trilogy are slim anyway. But I can understand if you think that would constitute misuse.

I have no idea what's the mobile player base (which actually uses mods). Personally I prefer the form factor of iPad to playing even on a light notebook and I purchased the EE for PC only when I started thinking about creating mods myself, because the development cycle is much quicker, but don't really play it on that platform. I may be in minority, though.

Goruma
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 2,735
    edited June 2019
    @WithinAmnesia How about this?
    COPY_EXISTING ~AR4501.ARE~ ~override~
    	WRITE_ASCII 0x94 ~AR4501~ #8
    	IF_EXISTS
    	BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING ~AR0123.ARE~ ~override~	// Removes PLAT24
    	LPF DELETE_AREA_ITEM STR_VAR item_to_delete = "PLAT24" END
    	IF_EXISTS
    	BUT_ONLY

The "IF_EXISTS" part means WeiDU doesn't crash if the file doesn't exist. It will simply skip that COPY_EXISTING command and continue running.

You don't have to do this with EXTEND_TOP or EXTEND_BOTTOM, which automatically create the BCS file if it doesn't already exist.

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,773
    edited June 2019
    Hi @polymorphedsquirrel and @WithinAmnesia,
    I am unsure about the iOS installation procedure for mods, but on Android, SoD is also a standalone app.

When I create a modfile to move to Android, I use the PC installation as the basis (which has BGEE/SOD installed). This means that all files are available for the mods to do their thing. The additional (BGEE) files that are in the override folder and come over with the modfile aren't used by SoD, so they they just sit there doing not much at all, but they don't take up much room either.

This works for Android, it might also work with iOS.

Gus

Goruma
    If the download link is updated, I'll check it out (well, I guess it will install, feedback about whever it works will come later).
    And the mentioned way of modding is asking for trouble - the files aren't identicial between mobile and PC. For one, mobile is always at least one patch behind. I did have problems before I found a thread here showing how to mod the iOS files directly.

edited June 2019
    @OlvynChuru , @Gusinda , @polymorphedsquirrel I wish I could test these suggestions out but I only run windows PC for making modules. If the PC version of Baldur's Gate Siege of Dragonspear could be be successfully ported to IOS I think the module would install properly (for both the original EE chapters and SOD files can be accessed in the game content). Again I do not operate IOS so I cannot test this although if someone can test this I will support the best that I can having the module be able to be played on IOS.

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,773
    edited June 2019
    Hi @polymorphedsquirrel, may I ask what version you are running? I know that the version I run on the Android mobile device is the same as the PC (currently 2.5.17.0) and apart from some install 'order' (which also impact on PC) problems, I haven't any disasters (except v2.5.16.4 which had its own problems with mods). If you bought your PC version from either GoG or Steam, then you do need to run modmerge prior to installing any mods.

I downloaded this to give it a go and see if it works, but like @WithinAmnesia, I don't own an iOS device so couldn't test it in that enviroment. It installed fine and I was able to transfer to Android without concern. Gameplay seemed good. I will upload the modfile I use so that you can give it a go if you desire.

One step we have in using mods in the Android environment is to apply 'centralfix' (rewrites the header in a .zip file to allow it be read in the Android environment) to the modfile. Not having an iOS, I am unsure what the procedure is. If you don't do this, then there is still no problem as it will unpack normally as a .zip file.

This modfile is setup for the English version of BG1EE SOD 2.5.17.0 and only contains this mod. If used on a PC, just unpack the file into a clean install of BG1EE and SOD (it will overwrite your dialog.tlk so make a backup if you need it). To uninstall, delete the override folder and replace dailog.tlk with your backup. You can also delete the dialogf.tlk as it is no longer required. (It is also not required for normal play except for some mods in the BG2 environment, but it doesn't hurt either. It is a copy of the dialog.tlk renamed)

If used on an Android device, copy the file into the following folder on a clean install of SOD:
    'Android/data/com.beamdog.siegeofdragonspear/files/'
    No other installation steps. Just play. To uninstall, delete the file.

For iOS, not sure but you might be able to reverse engineer it through the process you know. All the files required are in the modfile.

Hope it plays nicely for you
    Gus

Edit: Added uninstall instructions

Post edited by Gusinda on
    WithinAmnesiaGoruma
  • GorumaGoruma Member Posts: 18
    edited July 2019
    Raduziel wrote: »
    @WithinAmnesia double check for typos. Crashes are usually related to the game trying to load a resource that doesn't exist. With me this situation happens for mainly three reasons:

I) Typos;

II) Some file I altered the name, but forgot to alters files related to it; and

III) Files I said "that's easy, I'll make it later" and ended up never doing.

I know one persistent in several OTHER mods, not yours, the rogue subclass ASSASSIN is spelled ASSASIN in several scripts, and I wondered, IF it would be wiser to copy the lines, and "just in case" write the same entries with ASSASSIN. I prefer Shadowdancer, so I never tested it through level progression.

I like your MOD idea, but will check back with @Gusinda, as I use a mod & class package from him and have no Modmerge either.

A specific mod I would love to combine with the encounters is the Shadow Adept (SHAR wizard though placed in bard subclass), which someone shared here at beamdog and his, or her, own website (around 60 MB, but failed to run on my mobile).
    1. Some of us may remember the novels, within which ELMINSTER, Chosen of Mystra Goddess of Magic, encountered the Shadow-Weave: A dark, eventually parasitic & corrupted, magic from the goddess SHAR. Damn, such would have spiced-up the Dark Spawn in Dragon Age - Origins ... ;)

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 496
    Is this EET-compatible? If so, what's the recommended install order using Project Infinity?

Thankee!
    @WithinAmnesia

• kalekale Member Posts: 46
    edited March 2020
    I'm enjoying this very much. The Gnoll fortress was quite the rearguard battle though (I even ran out of arrows; I only realised that this was a mod later on lol). Not sure I would want to put myself through this every time! Nonetheless, all of the encounters are great extensions to the game.

• tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 93
    This mod looks ***AMAZING***. @WithinAmnesia Is this still being actively worked on? I'm coming out of a 300 hr run, now trying EET for the first time ever on a fresh install...and I'm bitterly disappointed that I wasn't aware of this mod when I put together my install order.

I would SO love to try this. Are there any outstanding bugs?...and anything other than issues with the gnoll stronghold? Is the gnoll stronghold an optional component?

@tl1942 Last I used this mod (last year) it was all one component.

tl1942
  • tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 93
    Thanks @ThacoBell. A pity it's not modular... If it's okay with @WithinAmnesia, perhaps I can try editing this? Reducing the number of gnolls, removing the Mulahey content (due to bug report), and making it modular would be priorities. It's *such* an incredible-looking mod, I really want to try it.

@tl1942 For what its worth, I never encountered that Mulahey bug. I'm not sure if it was fixed, or if I'm lucky.

tl1942