Skip to content

Ask Beamdog

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,748
    In a subsequent live stream after that reply from Trent the situation has been addressed. http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/11/november-02-livestream-recap.html

"Trent likes the concept of adding companions from Siege of Dragonspear to Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition, but from the studio standpoint it’s not a viable project. Sorry!"

The crew - check out my comment from above.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,384
    deltago wrote: »
    ...Starts feeling bad for trying...
    Don't worry, we're all bad in here. And mad. But that's a different issue.

Mad, bad and dangerous... Same thing was said about Lord Byron. I can live with that.

I would love more content from Beamdog for the IE. They are ironing out loads of bugs, and they are getting key insight into the old IE. Why not let the insight pay dividend into new content?

I am mad enough for wanting it,
    I am bad enough for asking for it and
    I am dangerous enough for asking for it over and over again..
    off course and in prose if need be.

I have a question:
    You said that the SoD NPC’s being brought into BG2:ee is not viable. Is that a finansial or legal issue?

If legal we should bother someone else, if finansial we should gather our party....

And I hope you will take my questions as a compliment. I really like you work so far, and I om only asking for more...
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited May 2019
    I have a question:
    You said that the SoD NPC’s being brought into BG2:ee is not viable. Is that a finansial or legal issue?

If legal we should bother someone else, if finansial we should gather our party....
    I'm the wrong person to be answering this but I think I remember the answer that was given before - Beamdog can only do so much to change content that already exists, both from the standpoint of "this is what is possible with our current toolset" and "this is part of the contract we're bound by" (this was answered less in the context of Baldur's Gate and more in the context of Icewind Dale, which if I remember correctly was outright prevented from having one of the content-restoration modpacks from being integrated into the enhanced edition... because of contracts to be minimally invasive to the published game content)

And, frankly, as much as I would love to see the SoD characters in BG2 there's a couple of major of issues with doing so that would need to be addressed:
    1: BG2:EE was released before SoD, so these changes would by their nature need to be treated as DLC. Given Beamdog's track record and the current... issues... with the mobile storefronts, this would be impractical at best in the current climate. (Especially since not everybody likes or wants to see the SoD NPCs)
    2: How do you - in story - justify them coming all the way to Amn? Not everybody liked the SoD characters - hell, not everybody liked the BG1:EE characters - and one of the more common complaints I remember seeing about them was that their storylines felt like an NPC mod (which is just bound to happen when the writing team is not exactly the same as they were originally - even if they were the same people they would have grown as writers and gained new perspectives in the interim, which leads to a different style - as a fanfic author with many dead-and-dying fics I know precisely how hard it is to maintain tone/style after a five-year break)
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    any news about the old dlc package?
  • SorrowSeerSorrowSeer Member Posts: 144
    The situation around the DCA pack requires an official statement from WotC (stay tuned for their announcement).

I can see no statement from WotC.

Maybe You can share some light for us?
    (my interest not in whole dlc, but in bonus trader for Icewind Dale, his goods and release date)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,748
    They still haven't made a public statement.
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    SorrowSeer wrote: »
    (my interest not in whole dlc, but in bonus trader for Icewind Dale, his goods and release date)

What is this bonus trader? First time I've heard of it.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    SorrowSeer wrote: »

What is this bonus trader? First time I've heard of it.

There is a merchant that is going to be added with DLC pack that will sell 4 items related to the waffle crew. The merchant will be voiced by Mark Meer.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Serious Question Incoming:

How high are the chances for the cancelled Planescape game to be picked up again in the *hopefullynottoodistant* future in one form or another? Or are we already way past the point of no return? If so, was a flooded garage and another lost source code involved?
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    edited May 2019
    new update for client linux?
    Post edited by anastiel on
  • ckoeckoe Member Posts: 26
    Well, according to the reddit rumour mill someone discovered a WotC copyright notice in the material ...

Perhaps beamdog could now release patch 2.6 ?
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Another question:

Will the console versions of NWN:EE launch with the improved character models and tilesets that are listed as long term active on Trello? (Seems like a good idea. :))
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited June 2019
    Question: NwN - As the new beta version of the toolset uses the release version and not the development branch does this mean that the development branch is dead?

TR
    Post edited by TarotRedhand on
  • raven280raven280 Member Posts: 5
    This has been asked a few times since NWN:EE was released, and it mostly impacts the building community (specifically the PW community); but will the resource limit be raised above 16K?

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66993/toolset-resource-limit?

Thanks!
  • Kratos11Kratos11 Member Posts: 4
    Me and many other GOG users are still waiting for years for the implementation of the GOG Galaxy achievements of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition and Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition (and possibly for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition if you add them on Steam).

Achievements are an important part of Enhanced Editions and it's not right to make a part of your customers wait so long just because they bought the game on a store different from Steam. A lot of games on GOG have had their achievements since the launch day, so it's not an impossible task to add them.

It would be nice to finally have a precise date that indicates when we will have the achievements of these great games even on GOG, thank you!
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    Alright, I got a question for Beamdog: with the Baldur's Gate name being hyped up due to the announcement of BG3, how about remasters of the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games? Assuming BG3 does well (which will probably be the case considering Larian's work on the Divinity: Original Sin games), you could ride the hype train to cash in on the Baldur's Gate name too (moreso than with just BG1 and BG2).
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Any plan to put IWD on mobile? I mean, NWN and BG has a lot of texts. On a cellphone i think that IWD will work better.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited June 2019
    Just to make sure I have the right information for another thread (right now it's very much inaccurate hyperbole) - how long has it been since the 2.5 patches released? and how long was it between 2.5 being announced and being released?
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    It varies by platform. According to the Mac App Store, v2.5 is 8 months old, and the preceding patch is 4 years old - they no longer quote release dates though, just time periods.

Also, Mac App Store had to wait on patch 1.3 until 2.5 was released - it got nothing in the middle, so is something of an outlier. Feels way too soon for 2.6 to us ;)
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 69
    Will 2.6 land before September?
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Whats going to be in 2.6? Is it significant? I've been enjoying the games as they are but I can be persuaded to play once more. :-)

I'd like to know if NWN is getting a patch before the console release in December or if the console branch is taking all dev time. Mostly looking forward to the improved visuals for NWN.
  • AaeightAaeight Member Posts: 4
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Accusing them of tricking people and never releasing 2.6 is more than a little ridiculous at this point.
    I am not accusing anyone. I was merely asking 'beamdog' some questions in appropriate topic. If, on the other hand, you are fine waiting for every smaller patch for over year then certainly do not mind Me at all. All I'm saying is that I would be more than fine knowing that no next patch is going to show up. One straight answer is what I like.
  • Lorde_ApacheLorde_Apache Member Posts: 10
    Não tem como liberar a tradução do BG2-EE no ponto que está? Já que faz tempo que está parada, libera assim mesmo.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Não tem como liberar a tradução do BG2-EE no ponto que está? Já que faz tempo que está parada, libera assim mesmo.

Translation: Is there no way to release BG2EE's translation as it is? As it is taking a while, you guys could release the way it is now.