Skip to content

Ask Beamdog

Comments

• SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Do you think that remake BG/IWD on an modern engine with modern rulesets would be economic viable?
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    kanisatha wrote: »
    Does Beamdog currently have any game projects besides AAO? Typically, studios work on more than one project at a time, so what's the story with Beamdog right now?

We're not ready to speak about that yet. https://www.edmonton.com/articles/more-than-an-enhanced-edition-beamdogs-next-project-promises-something-new

Thanks. An interesting read. I was not asking for specifics or details. Only whether there were any unannounced projects in the works. :smile:
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @JuliusBorisov , What about that crash bug Kate Walsch found where accessing inventory as an Avenger while in fire salamander form crashed the game and corrupted the save file?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    We plan to add various performance improvements with 2.6, but I don't know (at this time) about this particular issue.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    We plan to add various performance improvements with 2.6, but I don't know (at this time) about this particular issue.

Did you mean stability improvements instead? Because a crash is not a performance problem ;)
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 69
    edited June 2019
    What about that crash bug Kate Walsch found where accessing inventory as an Avenger while in fire salamander form crashed the game and corrupted the save file?

Did she submit save file ?

That would be only way to find crash solution.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    @JuliusBorisov Now that it is the Summer's Solstice (aka Midsummer's Day), when can we expect the answers/update on NwN EE?

TR
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    The blog entry is still being cooked (it's like 1/2 done). We want it to be the most reflective of the updates that will come to NWN:EE.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    Two questions:

1) Have Beamdog ever considered making a savegame editor (like er editor and Leto) as a DLC for the console and mobile units? It would be very convenient.

2) Are the new updates going to give the same acces for modding the mobile games? The latest Update for IWD:ee made it impossible :s
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    NwN:EE question:

What will be the most likely meshes candidates to be remodeled and enhanched *after* the work on the shader is finally completed?
    Fingers crossed it's not yet another swords related weapon bundle. :P
    Question - Do Trent's views on BD creating new content for NwN, as expressed in this article, still hold?

TR
    Question - Do Trent's views on BD creating new content for NwN, as expressed in this article, still hold?

TR

The article is quite big, and includes many quotes from many people. What views do you mean exactly?
    To quote the section -
    Oster hopes to produce quality premium modules that lie somewhere between BioWare’s original idea and full expansion packs like Hordes of the Underdark. "That happy spot is a self-contained adventure with new art content," says Oster. "We will build new content going forward that will radically change the look of what is possible in Neverwinter Nights

TR
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 69
    Now that IE games got engine update, is it easier to produce new game in IE?
    To quote the section -
    Oster hopes to produce quality premium modules that lie somewhere between BioWare’s original idea and full expansion packs like Hordes of the Underdark. "That happy spot is a self-contained adventure with new art content," says Oster. "We will build new content going forward that will radically change the look of what is possible in Neverwinter Nights

TR

Yes, this still holds.
    wildfire wrote: »
    Now that IE games got engine update, is it easier to produce new game in IE?

There're no plans to produce new game content in the IE.
    The blog entry is still being cooked (it's like 1/2 done). We want it to be the most reflective of the updates that will come to NWN:EE.

Have just learned that the renderer article is still not ready as a few key figures are on vacation. We'll post a general update on the blog about what's happening in Beamdog, what to expect, etc, but the renderer article is moved. The blog post is expected to arrive early next week (Monday is a holiday in Canada).
    Thanks for both things @JuliusBorisov .

TR
    This information is not new. In February we said:

We’ve spent a lot of our time as a studio working on adapting legacy codebases for modern systems. In those cases, we had access to the source code of the games, and we had people (involved in the development of the Enhanced Editions) that were members of the original development team, including our founders, Trent and Cameron.
    Looking into the past has been an interesting journey for us, but Beamdog is starting to look forward. We’re interested in working on our own original products, so it’s likely that the next things you see from Beamdog will be original products, instead of more Enhanced Editions.

"Now when the Baldur's Gate name is making waves all over the industry" might be an additional reason not to produce new game content in the IE, from the legal to gaming aspects.
  • realshemprealshemp Member Posts: 33
    Nowhere in that statement does it say they will not be developing for the Infinity Engine. It only says they will not create any more enhanced editions of existing games, which a NEW game in the infinity engine WOULD NOT be. I've been reading these forums religiously since Siege of Dragonspear was released and this is the first time I've seen the direct statement that they would not be developing any new IE games, even though I asked that exact question back in February.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    "Now when the Baldur's Gate name is making waves all over the industry" might be an additional reason not to produce new game content in the IE, from the legal to gaming aspects.

That's been a suspicion of mine, that's why I asked this earlier:
    Adul wrote: »
    It's been stated a lot of times: 2.6 was ready, but something happened, about which everyone in the company is very sad and upset, and it wasn't shipped.

So, can you guys at Beamdog talk about what happened yet? [...] Did it have something to do with the upcoming BG3 announcement and/or release?

I know this is not confirmed, but if it turns out the patch delay was caused by Wizards taking the EE licences away from Beamdog because of BG3, then—needless to say—that would be a very sad state of affairs and it would reflect really poorly on WotC.

(Not that they have a stellar reputation to begin with.)
    edited June 2019
    realshemp wrote: »
    Nowhere in that statement does it say they will not be developing for the Infinity Engine. It only says they will not create any more enhanced editions of existing games, which a NEW game in the infinity engine WOULD NOT be. I've been reading these forums religiously since Siege of Dragonspear was released and this is the first time I've seen the direct statement that they would not be developing any new IE games, even though I asked that exact question back in February.

During livestreams Luke, Trent and even Phil (back when he was at Beamdog) mentioned it's not feasible to create content in the IE.

"Our own original products" can't be in the IE because that is all about D&D, which is not "our own".
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    The IE system is over 20 years old! While this has the advantage that it can run on really light systems such as tablets, it definitely is showing if you compare it to other Isometric RPGs that have been released lately.

The big question is, is Beamdog planning on creating more Isometric RPGs?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @JuliusBorisov When will Beamdog close the Soultaker plothole?
  • CoriusCorius Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2019
    Does Beamdog have any plans to release Collector's editions again for the PC versions ?

Additionally, are there any plans for yearly subscription models giving certain advantages?

I would love to support Beamdog for keeping up a steady stream of updates to all PC games.
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    @Beamdog This is a legitimate, sincere question: Based on the information presented in his comment, would you consider hiring @warp_9 if he were to apply for employment. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.