Skip to content

Ask Beamdog

Comments

• Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    You're free to believe what you want. I don't have to prove anything to you or anyone else.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'll share any news when I can, but from what I understand the content of the 2.6 patch has indeed been finished in 2018. How "significant" it is, is up for everyone to decide (of course, only when the patch notes are available).
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @JuliusBorisov Why can't Beamdog say what the patch patches?

As a modder it would be nice to prepare myself.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Usually, patch notes are only posted once the patch is released. This happens because we don't want to miss/include something that should/shouldn't be in the list and also because there're no resources to create preliminary lists.
    Usually, patch notes are only posted once the patch is released. This happens because we don't want to miss/include something that should/shouldn't be in the list and also because there're no resources to create preliminary lists.

Makes sense.

Thanks.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Might it also include a few extra GUI fixes? Bhaal knows the games could really need them.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Soooo. I don't want to overpromise, but the developers are really looking into adding a few extra fixes to the 2.6 base - because of your awesome feedback, everyone. One of those extra fixes might be a pathfinding fix.
    Is that because there is still no end in sight of the delay? Because the content of 2.6 was finished in 2018. So I would assume that the only reason the devs are actually looking into adding more stuff to 2.6 is due to the fact that it will be some more time before 2.6 can be published.

• Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Soooo. I don't want to overpromise, but the developers are really looking into adding a few extra fixes to the 2.6 base - because of your awesome feedback, everyone. One of those extra fixes might be a pathfinding fix.

Yessssssss! This is great news! Best news I got from Beamdog in the last 6 months at least. Thanks a lot Julius.
    On a side note, we've decided to skip this month in terms of the general Q&A, and focus instead on an update on what's being developed for NWN:EE, how the renderer progresses.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    I got a question. Given that I'm now ok with the general patching (we always wait at least 1-2 years for a patch and there always a ton of excuses), is there a particular bug affecting your 2.5 playthrough, or are you asking just to make the game perfect?

I mean... is there any serious bug left that actually makes you anxious for the new patch?
    As I have understood, the pathfinding issue has really been that one particular bug affecting 2.5 playthroughs.
    edited June 2019
    Exactly. This pathfinding nightmare made me quit two runs already.

As a modder I would really like to have the old WEAPPROF UI behavior but I know that it is not game breaking (it affects kit mod compatibility though).

The graphic lag/absurdly long saving time that was packed within 2.5 is annoying as hell too but my notebook is basically a potato.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited June 2019
    Another bug that stands out to me is the 2.5 regression that makes the font size unpredictable for texts inside of list UI elements. That one broke a lot of UI mods.

I'd reference the Redmine ticket, but I couldn't find it. Even though I'm fairly sure one already exists.
    Well, I'm sure everyone will name a few pet peeves very quickly, and the list will go on as we have many users. The content of 2.6 was indeed finished in 2018, and the possibility of the team looking into adding a pathfinding fix doesn't mean the content will increase indefinitely - remember what happened after the finish of the 2.5 open beta in January 2018 (the patch was released in the summer). What is happening now is the team is listening to all those pathfinding complaints and possibly doesn't want to release a patch only to get them again.
    Guys, don't turn a victory into a defeat.

I'm not happy yet but I'm definitely happier than I was a week ago.

Just to list my top 3 rants:

1) Pathfinding.

2) Saving lag/lagged video (I have to choose between a smooth gameplay or saving quickly).

3) The DAMN text-box that makes me struggle to follow any dialogue with more than two lines or three replies.
  • FouintoFouinto Member Posts: 22
    OK, then, my personal top 3 bugs to fix :
    1. first, Pathfinding (of course),
    2. then, probably Pathfinding,
    3. Pathfinding for sure !
    I only hesitate in the order of those.

This is just my way to say that I will be VERY happy if 2.6 comes with this bug fixed (a pain in the xxx on my mobile, in particular).
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    On a side note, we've decided to skip this month in terms of the general Q&A, and focus instead on an update on what's being developed for NWN:EE, how the renderer progresses.

Okay. In light of this new development (pun fully intended), I have a serious question for next month's list of Beamdog Q&A from Mr. Rideout.

Question regarding NWN:EE: I completely understand and agree with your stance on getting the console gameplay and UI control perfect before tackling more rules issues. In your professional opinion, could you make a hypothesis as to what might be causing the attack bonus miscalculation issue for monks fighting unarmed and druids in their Wildshape forms? It is most interesting that the same patch which brought visible cloaks to the game (1.68) also brought this issue when all the preceding patches don't have this issue, is it not?

Let me reiterate that I'm not expecting this bug fix, or any bug fix for that matter, to come before your work on the gameplay mechanics and UI control. I am merely asking what you think caused this abomination to exist in the first place. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    How long until the NDAs expire?
  • fetito666fetito666 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 204
    What about Steam achievements? In every livestream they said "soon".
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 69
    Timbo0o0o0 wrote: »
    1. Btw, are there any new born plans to close the Soultaker plothole? ;)
    There are no plans for new dlc for BGEE and BG2EE. They work in Unreal now for new game.
    Maybe there could be some easter egg in BG3 but I don't think it will be something serious.
  • Timbo0o0o0Timbo0o0o0 Member Posts: 60
    Thank you for your quick reply.
    I know that. it was just a supporting action for @ThacoBell s "Give us a solution for the Soultaker plothole" project.
    The more demand the higher the chances, dont give up hope, be firm but nice. =)
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Does Beamdog currently have any game projects besides AAO? Typically, studios work on more than one project at a time, so what's the story with Beamdog right now?
    kanisatha wrote: »
    Does Beamdog currently have any game projects besides AAO? Typically, studios work on more than one project at a time, so what's the story with Beamdog right now?

We're not ready to speak about that yet. https://www.edmonton.com/articles/more-than-an-enhanced-edition-beamdogs-next-project-promises-something-new
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited June 2019
    DonCzirr wrote: »
    Playing through the BG Series and PST, I keep running into scenarios / unfinished story lines that could be extended to provide major quality content.

Now - with BG3 getting a lot of press, would it not be worthwhile and profitable for Beamdog to either contract out to developers that don't mind the challenges of IE development or hire in-house for the same purpose ?

AFAIK Beamdog's contract do not allow them to change any of the original quests.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    But do allow to add new content, right?