Skip to content

BGII:EE and IWD:EE are back on Google Play

Comments

• wallaceprimewallaceprime Member Posts: 57
    edited July 2019
    Pirrie wrote: »
    @wallaceprime You've made it clear that you want your money back and Beamdog have made it clear they are not in a position to do so. You now argue everything in your obsession against Beamdog.

I've not made it clear I want my money back, I've made it clear I want either, the game returned or a refund.

That is something they are obligated to do and we've not had a guarantee that the game will be returned to those who paid for it, only that they will get it back on Google and ""hope" it will be returned to those who've purchased it before.

If Beamdogs position is that they cannot offer refunds in any situation, when they've signed up to a contract that says they must in certain situations, then they're opening themselves up to legal issues and all of their games being yanked.
    Pirrie wrote: »
    Prove me wrong, prove you are not obsessed and don't reply moaning that we are all wrong and you are right like some religious zelot.

I will complain about incompetence any way I want keeping within the forum rules.

I don't owe you anything, if this is your view of religious zealotry, you need to wake up
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    Hi @wallaceprime
    Let me get this straight.

You are here at this site to keep pressure on Beamdog for a fix? Your assumption is that they can’t afford negative press, so they will cave in eventually?

Further that you are only present in this thread because the rest of the forum Is not interesting?

I ask not out of resent, but out of curiosity. Even if I may qualify as being part of the Beamdog police (liked the metaphor, so I will keep it). I love the games, and the EE versions - and I am quite vocal about my love. So at present we can agree on disagreeing - but later who knows.

You free time is your to spend. If you want to stay active in this thread until a fix is issued, it’s ok. Then perhaps it’s goodbye then within weeks (who knows really). But I think it’s a shame...

You obviously care about the EE games, and this forum is a great place for modders, artist and players. Just coming here for complaints and leaving when you get your way is your choice, I just don’t get it.

An old saying about politics comes to mind:
    don’t threaten about leaving, threaten them with staying. And I dare say, that the forum is worth your stay.
    ZaghoulspacejawsSkatanPokota
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    edited July 2019
    I say this only because I care, but I would like to point out that there are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.
    shabadoo
    Hi @wallaceprime
    Let me get this straight.

You are here at this site to keep pressure on Beamdog for a fix? Your assumption is that they can’t afford negative press, so they will cave in eventually?

Further that you are only present in this thread because the rest of the forum Is not interesting?

I ask not out of resent, but out of curiosity. Even if I may qualify as being part of the Beamdog police (liked the metaphor, so I will keep it). I love the games, and the EE versions - and I am quite vocal about my love. So at present we can agree on disagreeing - but later who knows.

Correct, I dont particularly care about engaging in forums, except as a tool to resolve issues, its not personal, I just dont have any interest in discussing things on forums
    You free time is your to spend. If you want to stay active in this thread until a fix is issued, it’s ok. Then perhaps it’s goodbye then within weeks (who knows really). But I think it’s a shame...

You obviously care about the EE games, and this forum is a great place for modders, artist and players. Just coming here for complaints and leaving when you get your way is your choice, I just don’t get it.

An old saying about politics comes to mind:
    don’t threaten about leaving, threaten them with staying. And I dare say, that the forum is worth your stay.

I do care a great deal about the Infinity engine games, I could take or leave the enhanced editions, except they allow me to play on a mobile device (in theory).

Would I be a bit more engaged if earlier communication had been better handled, who knows? but now I've no interest in further engagement with Beamdog outside of resolving this issue.
    StummvonBordwehr
    shabadoo wrote: »
    Yes, Wallace, of course. For all your good sense you still can't tell the difference between telling someone how to feel and suggesting that things aren't that bad? I meant no judgement can also mean that whatever judgement YOU feel from me was not intended. You assume a lot. If I've aggrieved you so, then...
    I'm sorry i suggested that you should smile. Be a miserable sot over some game. Personally I don't care, just trying to offer a little sunshine into a dark thread.

You didnt just suggest things werent that bad, to go back to the start you said "maybe your energy should be directed towards solving real life problems, which is the absolute cast iron example of the fallacy of relative privation.

Smile! If this is what you've got to complain about, your life must be pretty damn good. Otherwise, maybe your energy should be directed into solving real life problems.

The threads dark, because it covers a topic which a lot of people are annoyed about. Telling someone to smile doesnt add "sunshine". Coupled with the early suggestion that folk focus on "real world problems" its just insulting.

lefreut
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited July 2019
    Uhm they used Google's feature that then violated their(Google) updated policy. Google created this monster.
    Allegedly, the requirements to be GDPR complaint were all known before this, from what they've (beamdog) said, their token effort wasn't close.
    Counterpoint - the token effort, which was to stop using said feature, by itself was enough to fix... except that in the process of making the token effort Beamdog discovered that they needed to completely change their workflow in order to prevent this from happening again six months from now.
    StummvonBordwehr
    Pokota wrote: »
    Uhm they used Google's feature that then violated their(Google) updated policy. Google created this monster.
    Allegedly, the requirements to be GDPR complaint were all known before this, from what they've (beamdog) said, their token effort wasn't close.
    Counterpoint - the token effort, which was to stop using said feature, by itself was enough to fix... except that in the process of making the token effort Beamdog discovered that they needed to completely change their workflow in order to prevent this from happening again six months from now.

Sorry I meant their token effort of GDPR compliance was to inckude a link to the policy rather than an embedded warning rather than the simple fix.

This doesn't come close to compliance with GDPR, regardless of what googles new policy says.

GDPR isn't new and compliance isn't that hard, if they'd done it properly the first time, this wouldn't have happened.

Yes there are other problems down the line and they should be allocating resources appropriately to deal with them
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342

Sorry I meant their token effort of GDPR compliance was to inckude a link to the policy rather than an embedded warning rather than the simple fix.

This doesn't come close to compliance with GDPR, regardless of what googles new policy says.

GDPR isn't new and compliance isn't that hard, if they'd done it properly the first time, this wouldn't have happened.

Yes there are other problems down the line and they should be allocating resources appropriately to deal with them

It may have started as a token fix, but it ended in a not so token 64 bit rebuild. I appreciate that, and it goes to show the commitment to their games.

An btw if they hadn’t started with a token fix, this thread would have been jam packed with people fuming about Beamdog over complicating a fix. A fix should always be as simple as possible I’d reckon.

I’d know we don’t agree on this, but there is another way of seeing the same picture.
    kaja8
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Yes, I must admit that saying to focus on real world is a bit insulting. It was not meant to sound that way, and I do apologize if you(or anyone else) were actually insulted by it. I wanted to show the contrast between games and life.
    I understand why it's a dark thread, that's why I tried to offer a smile.
    StummvonBordwehrkaja8lolien
  • Skree83Skree83 Member Posts: 14
    Come on, guys, really. Chill. Wait till it's back online and then tell others here so that if someone didn't already notice can go and download his games again.

There really isn't any more reason to bitch around.
    Royal2003kaja8
    edited July 2019

According to what has been said, the offense wasn't even with GDPR, it was with the App Store's data collection policies policy - they were collecting telemetry data for diagnostic purposes in a way that Google now requires a discrete in-app data collection policy indicating that it's collecting that specific data. As of 2.6 they will no longer be collecting that telemetry data, meaning that it's only the GDPR that they need to be wary of.

Edit: Okay, yeah, that is technically noncompliant with the GDPR in that they weren't fully disclosing what was being collected or how it was being used, but at the time of 2.5's release the GDPR had not yet been declared by the ABA as being in force outside of the European Union, so Beamdog was not yet required to be compliant with it - Canada's not in the European Union.

Question: what all was in the 2.5 build to ensure GDPR compliance? Was there anything given how long ago 2.5 was released? And is that on all platforms or just certain ones?

Also, can I just say how silly it is that America is telling Canada that they have to follow a law passed in Europe?
    shabadooStummvonBordwehr
    Pokota wrote:
    Also, can I just say how silly it is that America is telling Canada that they have to follow a law passed in Europe?
    Oh good, it's not just me that sees that.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    If the Canadian wants to do business in the EU/UK and they are going through the American company to do the sales, it isn’t silly in the slightest.

I disagree with the “Beamdog should have seen the GDPR coming.” The game was released in November 2015, 6 months from the bill actually being discussed and it wasn’t till 2018 till was actually implemented.

I do think this now has to do more with the 2.6 delay than anything else. It 2.6 actually came out when it did on all platforms I don’t think this would have been an issue.
    StummvonBordwehrshabadoo
    The reasoning is sound. It still sounds strange that country A tells country C to obey the laws of country B.
    edited July 2019
    deltago wrote: »
    If the Canadian wants to do business in the EU/UK and they are going through the American company to do the sales, it isn’t silly in the slightest.

I disagree with the “Beamdog should have seen the GDPR coming.” The game was released in November 2015, 6 months from the bill actually being discussed and it wasn’t till 2018 till was actually implemented.

I do think this now has to do more with the 2.6 delay than anything else. It 2.6 actually came out when it did on all platforms I don’t think this would have been an issue.

It would be one thing if Google was telling Beamdog that they have to follow the GDPR if they want to do business in Europe.

This is American Lawyers telling the entire nation of Canada (really the rest of the world, but in this specific instance it's Canada) that an European Law is in effect globally. Regardless on if their product is available in the international market or not (which, given it applies to software, is nearly always true anyway).

Please note: I don't take issue with the GDPR itself. I agree with it. I take issue with the fact that we're not letting each nation implement their own version of it.
    StummvonBordwehrPrince_Raymond
    Thank you @Enrahim, my position wasn't that the reality was silly, but that on the surface it appeared so. One nation telling other nations to follow a third nation's law. I, for one, welcome stricter protection. Privacy is an important issue, and will only become more difficult to ensure as technology advances.
    edited July 2019
    deltago wrote: »

To be fair, GDPR was trailed for a very long time and all businesses were given a good lead in to sort there practices out if they handled personal data (and operated within Europe).

*Edit having checked, it was adopted in 2016 and enforced in 2018, so that's 2 years of leadtime.

They should have prioritised a fix for this since they were collecting personal data, if only to protect themselves.

Rather than wait till the game gets yanked because someone reports it.

The fine for misuse of personal data is up to 4% of company turnover or £20 million which evers greater.
    Yes, I must admit that saying to focus on real world is a bit insulting. It was not meant to sound that way, and I do apologize if you(or anyone else) were actually insulted by it. I wanted to show the contrast between games and life.
    I understand why it's a dark thread, that's why I tried to offer a smile.

That's fair I apologise for reacting with vitriol. I don't like how beamdog have handled this, but it wasn't necessary to vent on you and others.

I will keep pressure on this thread as I think it's an effective tool
    kaja8StummvonBordwehr

According to what has been said, the offense wasn't even with GDPR, it was with the App Store's data collection policies policy - they were collecting telemetry data for diagnostic purposes in a way that Google now requires a discrete in-app data collection policy indicating that it's collecting that specific data. As of 2.6 they will no longer be collecting that telemetry data, meaning that it's only the GDPR that they need to be wary of.

Edit: Okay, yeah, that is technically noncompliant with the GDPR in that they weren't fully disclosing what was being collected or how it was being used, but at the time of 2.5's release the GDPR had not yet been declared by the ABA as being in force outside of the European Union, so Beamdog was not yet required to be compliant with it - Canada's not in the European Union.

Question: what all was in the 2.5 build to ensure GDPR compliance? Was there anything given how long ago 2.5 was released? And is that on all platforms or just certain ones?

I'm not an expert in GDPR, but I thought the requirement for compliance from the start was if you were handling the personal data of EU citizens, regardless of whether you were based in the EU or not.

I think 2.5s token effort was a link to an external website saying they were collecting data, when it really needed an embedded policy in the app (or to remove the telemetry tracking
    @wallaceprime, No worries, I've much thicker skin than that. Sarcasm doesn't always translate well on the forum, and is not always well received.
    kaja8wallaceprime
  • jimmytieljimmytiel Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2019
    radeck16 wrote: »
    Please check out a short update from Luke Rideout on the Google Play fix.

TL;DR: 2.6 is coming out on Google Play posthaste, ..

2.6 is coming out on Google Play posthaste

"post haste"- really ???
    in what universe ???

one week later- - still waiting

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/posthaste

adverb
    with the greatest possible speed or promptness:

time for a new excuse/date
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @jimmytiel It's not one week later, 6 days at the moment. In the same article it's said: "We’re almost at the end of that road, and once we’ve verified that everything’s in good shape, we can QA it, and hopefully get it to you within the next few weeks."
  • grigoriYgrigoriY Member Posts: 4
    @JuliusBorisov Will the required Android version change in the new release?
    @jimmytiel It's not one week later, 6 days at the moment. In the same article it's said: "We’re almost at the end of that road, and once we’ve verified that everything’s in good shape, we can QA it, and hopefully get it to you within the next few weeks."

so "post haste" now means "another month at least" i.e. the "game not available" period will probably exceed half a year.. so you quibbling about a one day rounding error looks rather silly

Raduziel
    -> FOR the record. today it IS one week later.

and post-haste is still a meaningless promise

the six months elapsed of NO GAME fast approaches
    jimmytiel wrote: »
    -> FOR the record. today it IS one week later.

and post-haste is still a meaningless promise

the six months elapsed of NO GAME fast approaches

We're waiting for stability testing of the build right? So can Julius us a rough idea how long this has taken in past instances, so we've got a rough idea of what to expect?

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    It has been covered in the blog. "We’re almost at the end of that road, and once we’ve verified that everything’s in good shape, we can QA it, and hopefully get it to you within the next few weeks."

Posthaste means it's as fast as possible. It cannot be faster. We published the blog after we had got a substantial information update to share it with you.
    semiticgoddess
    I've learned that the vague answers are not only intentional, but necessary. When firm times are given and it doesn't work out it causes even more drama. They give updates as each hurdle is actually cleared, beyond that there's not much to say.
    kaja8Pokota
  • Whisp3Whisp3 Member Posts: 10
    Yes, I suppouse we've seen enough drama conserning this issue already. A pressure that is tiring for us, must be excruciating for the dev team. B. guys gave us some necessary insight into the problem and it about time to wait patiently for a solution.
    ElysianEchoessemiticgoddessLudwig_II