Skip to content

BGII:EE and IWD:EE are back on Google Play

Comments

• spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Just moved from iPhone to Android and looking forward to playing all these games again when theh uh go on sale. This will be the fourth time I've bought all thr EE's for different devices and I'm poor now. Hopefully BG2 and Icewind Dale get sorted with Google before the next sale!
  • Anyname1Anyname1 Member Posts: 22
    Whisp3 wrote: »
    Well thats easy for Google to say. And its not right.

You as a costumer have a claim against Google not Beamdog. The game works in the same manner as when you bought it. The vendor has just removed it from the shelves - plain and simple.

It is not exactly that. This time the vendor also removed a copy of the game from my home (the fact that is digital should not matter at all when it is paid for) and said it wasn't there in the first place (payment history in PlayStore).
    So Google removed the game? Well then its Google’s fault isnt it?

What I meant by saying it works, is that the game works fine if you where allowed to play it. Beamdog didnt break the game or decided to withdraw it - Google withdrew it. If Google decided to let you play the game, it would work So the game works, its just isnt there.

Google saying that the vendor has to refund your purchase is a load of BS. Google have a disclaimer that nullifies their liability - big companies to that because they can - but it still isnt right. So blame Google, an den thankful that Beamdog hasnt given up yet. Many devs have done that, but Beamdog hasnt.

Btw an excellent show case of times to come when Google launches their take on the console market...

What beamdog failed to do is take notice of the GDPR emails about the updated policy and left it until it was too late. Thats not Google fault as the major GDPR overall was in 2017.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,357
    No not really imo.

As an European iPhone user I can say, that Beamdog has done what they should do. Google has singlehandedly forced changes - changes that Apple dont see the need for (and what about Steam and GOG?). Hence it can hardly be a direct consequence of the GDPR, but something Google enforced singlehanded.

Other surpliers have been forced in the same manner by Google, some have complied, some are going to and some will not. Given the worst of the alternatives, Beamdogs stance is tolerable.

From what we do know Google has been tightlipped about what it takes, so a solution where WoTC and Google have to accept it and patchnotes are required may not be as easy as it some think.

But I hear and understand your grief. We all hope for some good news at last
    No not really imo.

As an European iPhone user I can say, that Beamdog has done what they should do. Google has singlehandedly forced changes - changes that Apple dont see the need for (and what about Steam and GOG?). Hence it can hardly be a direct consequence of the GDPR, but something Google enforced singlehanded.

Other surpliers have been forced in the same manner by Google, some have complied, some are going to and some will not. Given the worst of the alternatives, Beamdogs stance is tolerable.

From what we do know Google has been tightlipped about what it takes, so a solution where WoTC and Google have to accept it and patchnotes are required may not be as easy as it some think.

Not quite sure how it's tolerable the whole situation could of easily been avoided if they followed up with the emails and introduce it when they first knew about it.

Once it's implemented its easy to update the ammendments.

Yes Google has moved the goal posts since 2017 but beamdog had 2 years to implement it in the first place and that's plenty of time to iron out any issues rather than waiting till its too late and the potential loss of revenue.
  • ActusReus88ActusReus88 Member Posts: 2
    So I'm just finding this out now trying to play again in preparation for BG3, is beamdog and Google really still having issues with getting this back on the play store? I feel awfully cheated now... Is there a workaround I should look for?
  • CriminogenesisCriminogenesis Member Posts: 11
    So Google won't issue a refund and state that we need to work with the developers to get a refund. The developers give elusive comments about the issue and what is being done to resolve it.

My confidence in Beamdog is 0% and I'd love to just get a refund and never support this company again. Can a dev please confirm an actual ETA for the fix or give permission for google to accept refunds for Beamdog products?

Its not fair that either Beamdog or Google are holding my funds and I have nothing to show for it.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Thanks for the patience, everyone. I've heard there might be real progress on the issue. Fingers crossed.
  • CriminogenesisCriminogenesis Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the patience, everyone. I've heard there might be real progress on the issue. Fingers crossed.

That is the most vague comment ever and it doesn't even confirm anything. Give us some actual confirmation that Beamdog care about this issue. I've sent a request to google to look in to Beamdog for violating google policy with these vague nonsensical updates.

That is the most vague comment ever and it doesn't even confirm anything. Give us some actual confirmation that Beamdog care about this issue. I've sent a request to google to look in to Beamdog for violating google policy with these vague nonsensical updates.
    @Criminogenesis
    Beamdog has already stated that they do care and that they will fix the problem. The information should be seen in that light.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    While I'm happy to get some form of update, I have to agree. This is very reminiscent of the non-answers Beamdog was giving (read: was forced to give) during the Atari Bankruptcy.
    edited June 2019

You heard? Jesus that's literally zero information. Really proves beamdog is upto its old tricks like blaming others and asking for positive reviews again. Just ban my account I've had enough of the same old bs. I won't be buying any other product.

What's worse is if they ever fix it they'll have some big announcement like they just cured cancer and we should all be thankful.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    It's not just a change to the UI, it's completely rebuilding it. If you actually read the entire thread you would've seen this. Google is delaying responses, again explained in this thread. I'm frustrated by the lack of an ETA, but there is more to it than a simple fix.
    shabadoo wrote: »
    It's not just a change to the UI, it's completely rebuilding it. If you actually read the entire thread you would've seen this. Google is delaying responses, again explained in this thread. I'm frustrated by the lack of an ETA, but there is more to it than a simple fix.

You are aware they've had since 2017 to update the ui. That's what makes it so frustrating they decided no action is the best action. Until its too late.
    Anyname1 wrote: »
    shabadoo wrote: »

You are aware they've had since 2017 to update the ui. That's what makes it so frustrating they decided no action is the best action. Until its too late.
    If the UI changes where a GDPR issue wouldnt the problem be manifest in the EU only and apply for all digital platforms including Apple?
    The game is in the Apple iOS store in Europe. Thats one narrow keyhole imho. Google has moved the goalpost, and thats all very well - but I dont see the connection with the GDPR ruleset.
    But a fix is overdue, and hopefully coming really soon
  • wallaceprimewallaceprime Member Posts: 57

Yeah I heard Larian have got the Baldurs gate franchise now.

Seriously why on earth cant you provide an ETA or failing that an alternate download link

In other news google came through with a £5 credit to the play store to make up for the shenanigans with the removal of the record of purchase from the account history, which apparently shouldnt have happened.

Not quite a refund, but worth a few complaints on the Google front.

Probably not going to use that credit on a beamdog game though, I mean, what would be the point?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    No not really imo.

Not quite sure how it's tolerable the whole situation could of easily been avoided if they followed up with the emails and introduce it when they first knew about it.

Yes Google has moved the goal posts since 2017 but beamdog had 2 years to implement it in the first place and that's plenty of time to iron out any issues rather than waiting till its too late and the potential loss of revenue.

Do you have copies of these emails we can see?

If not stop assuming.
    deltago wrote: »
    No not really imo.

Do you have copies of these emails we can see?

If not stop assuming.

I don't have to just Google "Google GDPR 2017" more than enough information
    I've just noticed the amount of negative 1 star reviews on all beamdog products on the play store. How long till they start begging for people to leave positive reviews again.
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    I bought these games. I installed them. I later chose to uninstall them thinking they would always be available to download. Google took them "off the shelf" like someone said earlier.

Compare to:

I bought these shoes. I wore them. Later, I threw them away to make room in the closet, thinking there would always be an identical pair at the shoe store. The shoe store took them off the shelf.

I'm the one that uninstalled. I'm the one that assumed the games would always be there. Therefore, I have come to consider it my own doing that I no longer have access to them, and so I blame neither Google or Beamdog.

As an aside, though, consumers are allowed by law to make a back up copy of any digital media purchased. How then does one make a back up copy of a game from Google Play Store? I think a case can be made for access to a downloadable APK that can be stored on an SD card, whatever the app.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    @Anyname1, I agree that it was a mistake on Beamdog's part to tie this new problem into an already delayed update. I also agree that their support is a mess. I just think that Google is forcing issues that could better handled with finesse. Just one man's opinion.
  • YücelYücel Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2019
    Hi all, for quite some time I am lurking this forum, hoping there is some kind of substantial update, nevertheless i am disappointed in beamdog and their lack of transparency. "We are working on it" is in no shape or form a satisfying answer.

@ElysianEchoes your example is lacking in logic. If you bought the shoes, put them aside, and later want to wear them again, but the manufacturer took them away from you all of the sudden and you have no possibility to get new shoes or the same ones, you think thats your fault then? What if the manufacturer simply says "youll get it someday again, not sure when, but you will trust us". Thats a good response in your book?

Listen, lets be real, this is a luxary issue. Having certain games in my library or not is not a big deal, its just videogames ffs. If anyone gets upset because of that, then we need a reality check and new priorities in life. Nevertheless though, and this is smthg upsetting for me at least, is when products are paid for, and disappear without a trace. Then its simply theft and someone has to refund it.

@Beamdog you did a great job with the EE games, and the ports to mobile, and certainly with ports to consoles as well, but give us a clear guideline as to what to do. Be it a process to get refunds, or an idea how long to be patient.

Harebrained Schemes was in the same boat as you with shadowrun returns for android, and they offered me a refund immediately "because the game is not coming back" they said.
    Cool, no biggie and thats it. Thats respectable and honest communication.

With all due respect and love, the only thing you accomplish by being so secretive, is to greatly damage your reputation.

As this will be my only comment on this forum, i would also like to thank beamdog sincerely for bringing my favorite games back to live better than ever with the love and respect they deserve. And also, and this is still mindboggling to me, we are all here because we cant find and play Infinity Engine Classics on a mobile device. How crazy is that even to think about.
    Thank you beamdog (and the community as well) and i hope, in your and my behalf, not that the issue is solved tomorrow, but that you can communicate clearly whats going on with an ETA.
    Yücel wrote: »
    @ElysianEchoes your example is lacking in logic. If you bought the shoes, put them aside, and later want to wear them again, but the manufacturer took them away from you all of the sudden and you have no possibility to get new shoes or the same ones, you think thats your fault then?

I didn't set it side. I uninstalled (deleted) it. The closest analogy ime is to throw away. "Setting aside" would be saving a copy somewhere, like on a SD card (though, granted, I'm not sure how to save a backup copy of an app from the play store). Instead, I assumed Google Play Store would always have it available to download, which is kinda like expecting Payless Shoes to give me a fresh pair even though I threw the first pair away.

Digital media has an advantage that, often times, a consumer can hope to redownload an app. The lesson I learned here is that, while a company may be so kind as to allow that, they are not obligated to do so any more than a retail store is obligated to retain a product on their shelf.

I didn't save a backup. I can't blame BD or Google for that. They didn't take anything away from me. *I* chose to uninstall it.

Yücel wrote: »
    @ElysianEchoes your example is lacking in logic. If you bought the shoes, put them aside, and later want to wear them again, but the manufacturer took them away from you all of the sudden and you have no possibility to get new shoes or the same ones, you think thats your fault then?

I didn't set it side. I uninstalled (deleted) it. The closest analogy ime is to throw away. "Setting aside" would be saving a copy somewhere, like on a SD card (though, granted, I'm not sure how to save a backup copy of an app from the play store). Instead, I assumed Google Play Store would always have it available to download, which is kinda like expecting Payless Shoes to give me a fresh pair even though I threw the first pair away.

Digital media has an advantage that, often times, a consumer can hope to redownload an app. The lesson I learned here is that, while a company may be so kind as to allow that, they are not obligated to do so any more than a retail store is obligated to retain a product on their shelf.

I didn't save a backup. I can't blame BD or Google for that. They didn't take anything away from me. *I* chose to uninstall it.

That's a bad analogy, you've purchased a license for the games, not a physical product, so the game should be available to redownload.

If the company decide to stop hosting it, they should warn folk to allow them to get it one last time.

Backing it up to another source wouldn't work as once you've installed it from your back up I'm pretty sure the game needs to check in with Google play for its first time out.

The customer is not at fault here, the blame lies squarely with google-beamdog.

And I've had more luck dealing with Google than I have "charles" at Beamdog customer support. Or the vague, "there's been real progress, fingers crossed" vagueness on this forum.

Still no sign of a refund.

I have no doubt that the reason they aren't willing to specify a timeframe is because it's going to be something massive (more than the 2 months it's been so far) which will just drive more people to 1* review other beamdog products and do that other thing the forums not allowed to talk about.

I don't see how their rep recovers from this, both the deletion of the game and the lack of Comms afterwards

@wallaceprime ,

Perhaps you and @Yücel are correct in that comparing a digital download to shoes is a bad analogy. Well, it obviously must be. I didn't take into account the detail of DRM.

Still, I can't bring myself to blame either Google or BD.

Best of days to you both.

Still, I can't bring myself to blame either Google or BD.

That's up to you, personally I'll continue to blame them both.

• Fizzlefy1Fizzlefy1 Member Posts: 4
    Can someone explain to me how this isn't theft? You gladly took $20 from me for two licenses to play two games then removed them from me with no warning or permission offering nothing by way of a refund. How is this not stealing again? Do the right thing and refund these.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Fizzlefy1 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me how this isn't theft? You gladly took $20 from me for two licenses to play two games then removed them from me with no warning or permission offering nothing by way of a refund. How is this not stealing again? Do the right thing and refund these.

The right thing would actually to make the games available again.
  • BeF1990BeF1990 Member Posts: 14
    No BG2 EE and IWD EE on Google Play - so I paid for those games but I can't play them. Waiting around 3 months for solution already... But it isn't only one problem - BG1 after last update (2.5 patch) doesn't work properly. On Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 is graphic issue - poor resolution and very blurred font. The game is unplayable right now and no one from Beamdog is interested to fix it. I'm waiting almost one year...

No one even respond to my e-mail, forum or public bug reports site. Definitely I'll never buy anything from you Beamdog! I'm super disappointed..
  • paolo81paolo81 Member Posts: 4
    Never buy beamdog games again. I will say ti my brother and friends. Poor behaviour vert poor. Sorry for my english .
    Fizzlefy1 wrote: »

Its not technically by definition of the law theft, due to the terms and conditions, but ethically, yeah absolutely.

Where they might be in breach of Googles T&cs is in not offering refunds.

They could have resolved a lot of complaints by giving a timeline of the process, but have chosen not to. I'm guessing because they are either doing bugger all about fixing it, or fixing it is so far down their list of priorities that its unlikely to return for months or years.

All we are getting is vague announcements to keep stringing us along, and hopefully forestall more people from Slamming beamdog on social media/wreck the review scores of other games or give up on Beamdog and find an alternate source for the BG2 goodness