Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III released into Early Access

Comments

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    mlnevese wrote: »
    No, they actually said the game is not optimized yet and that will come later.

That is what game companies always say. Even with Gothic 3 the company (not Larian obviously) said it was still being optimized and would work without stutters on a normal PC at the time. Sometimes companies actually follow through, and often they don't.

I do not even think it is a lie, but instead they overestimate how much they achieve by more optimization or run out of time.

So from my experience: if you see performance issues in a demo or a public demonstration, don't expect them to go away unless you see the progress yourself.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited October 2020
    Ammar wrote: »
    That is what game companies always say. Even with Gothic 3 the company (not Larian obviously) said it was still being optimized and would work without stutters on a normal PC at the time. Sometimes companies actually follow through, and often they don't. .

That is different cuz
    • JoWood was a publisher, Larian is self publishing
    • Larian has way more workers
    • JoWood also forced G3 to be launched one year before it was ready
    • G3 Has way more objects and a dynamic ultra large world map without loading.
    • Lag in a ARPG is a much bigger problem than lag in a TB RPG.

• byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    edited October 2020
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    BTW, According to SteamSpy, Baldur's Gate 3 has already sold over one million copies on Steam alone. It seems full price and EA does not seem to hurt much the sales figures. I do not know if that would be good or less-than-good for data retrieval for the EA.

This is great to see. As one of the people taking part in early access (on Stadia) I definitely have no regrets. I’m really enjoying the experience so far and it’s great to see that early signs point towards commercial success ?

• hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    That is what game companies always say. Even with Gothic 3 the company (not Larian obviously) said it was still being optimized and would work without stutters on a normal PC at the time. Sometimes companies actually follow through, and often they don't.

I do not even think it is a lie, but instead they overestimate how much they achieve by more optimization or run out of time.

So from my experience: if you see performance issues in a demo or a public demonstration, don't expect them to go away unless you see the progress yourself.

Yeah, I said it already and I'll say it again, the optimisation on their past "finished" products was subpar, I doubt this will buck that trend. I mean, it wasn't as bad as Pillars 2 (that however was heinous and I'd argue should not have been released in the state it was) but I don't expect much from them in terms of optimisation.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    hybridial wrote: »
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    BTW, According to SteamSpy, Baldur's Gate 3 has already sold over one million copies on Steam alone. It seems full price and EA does not seem to hurt much the sales figures. I do not know if that would be good or less-than-good for data retrieval for the EA.

I just hope then that at least, they come out of Early Access with a game that those people don't feel cheated by. Based on prior releases, they'll likely manage it but this has probably lead to a lot of pressure they didn't necessarily expect to have.

They have unabashedly been trying to court not one but 2 distinct fanbases, it might be more than they expected but if they're really as dedicated as they claim they have no business being that surprised.

More of interest to me would be the percentage of those millions coming off of DOS2, and the percentage coming off of BG(EE).
    On lowest settings, is running. Anyway, I Just killed 3 intellect devourers alone at lv 1 as a warlock using few erldritch blast and just one tier 1 spell, intellect devourer was a pain in the *** on nwn1 and you fight then at much higher level... But reached lv 2. How I can use agonizing blast? Is used automatically when i cast EB? What if I learn Agonizing blast and repealing blast?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Repelling Blast is selectable from the field where you also find your reaction actions (the only one you have at start is Attack of Opportunity).
    scriver wrote: »
    Repelling Blast is selectable from the field where you also find your reaction actions (the only one you have at start is Attack of Opportunity).

Where I find reactions? And is agonizing blast always on? I never hit more than 10 damage, so IDK...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    hybridial wrote: »

Yeah, I said it already and I'll say it again, the optimisation on their past "finished" products was subpar, I doubt this will buck that trend. I mean, it wasn't as bad as Pillars 2 (that however was heinous and I'd argue should not have been released in the state it was) but I don't expect much from them in terms of optimisation.

To be fair, I don't think Obsidian has released a single game in a state that should have been released :D
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    All I know is: 1 million sold copies inside of a week is exceptional, and the reviews have mostly been very good. Steam Reviews, while being far from a scientific snapshot, are also very positive.

I think by all accounts, BG3 has already been a stellar success. If people are liking it now, I can only imagine the reception when it's fully finished.

When the game was announced, some people thought it might totally redefine the isometric CRPG genre. I dont think we can say it's done that yet, but it looks like it is well on its way.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

Where I find reactions? And is agonizing blast always on? I never hit more than 10 damage, so IDK...

At the rightmost of the action hud. Where you can toggle Attacks of Opportunity on and off.

I'm assuming Agonizing Blast is always on.
    If someone wanna know how the game looks in a GTS 450 with ultra low graphic setting, screens bellow
    CDOO4FH.png

Ov0NuXA.png

Lx3ANUG.png

UOu9ZXz.png

So far, reached lv 3 with about 2 hours of gameplay.

My unique critique is some nerfs in few spells like firebolt and that the game nerfs a lot of enemies to fit a low level campaing. For eg, there are an Archdruid in a grove which is lv 4. An "Archdruid" that can't cast tier 3 spells? I also with half of my HP, killed 3 intellect devourer alone at lv 1 as a warlock using few erldritch blast and just one tier 1 spell. This monsters was a nightmare on chapter 1 of nwn1 and I fought him at lv 7 there. So far, the best aspect of the game is the story which is unique and cool and the AI of enemies. Enemies heal, hide, archers and mages try to get the higher ground, they try to flank, use spells in ways that makes sense and the AI is simple epic. The UI also could get a improvement mainly for the spellcasting which becomes too poluted with all types of spells even on low level.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2020

Reactions are complicated. There is Hellish Rebuke and opportunity attacks (and possibly other abilities or spells). But reactions themselves seem to have been only lightly implemented.

10 damage per hit is above the average you'd expect 1d10 + Charisma modifier (so probably 2 or 3 extra damage depending on if your charisma is 14 or 16)

If you use the Hex spell beforehand you can get a bit more damage on top of that. If you've already cast Hex just be sure to use the recast icon for it (it's shown as a separate icon the hotbar).
    elminster wrote: »

Reactions are complicated. There is Hellish Rebuke and opportunity attacks (and possibly other abilities or spells). But reactions themselves seem to have been only lightly implemented.

10 damage per hit is above the average you'd expect 1d10 + Charisma modifier (so probably 2 or 3 extra damage depending on if your charisma is 14 or 16)

If you use the Hex spell beforehand you can get a bit more damage on top of that. If you've already cast Hex just be sure to use the recast icon for it (it's shown as a separate icon the hotbar).

My cha is 17(half elf), so I an expecting hitting 11+ at least when I roll 8 or more on the d10 but never happens, so IDK if agonizing blast is active or not.
    [

You should share that kind of feedback to Larian. Specifically about the things you'd like improved. The game is slated to be in EA for a year or more, so there will be plenty of fine tuning to come.

Already suggested concurrent turns for enemies and summons on their forums...
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Well I do not like either Divinity games. I didn't even leave the first city in I or the prison in 2.

I never played 5th edition, I stopped playing P&P shortly after 4th came out.

Decided to try the early access after getting tired of the endless war between the lovers and haters. So i wanted to form my own opinion.

So here it is:

1) The game is fun.

2) Sound is strange the notebook I'm playing it on... it's just too low, no matter how I set it in options

3) Vulkan should be fast in a GeForce card. It's so slow that I had to force close the game and switch to DirectX 11

4) There are obvious graphical and other kinds of glitches in the game. It's expected in EA. BG II EE looked like the Frankenstein monster during beta test...

5) Turn based works well in the game. I would like a RT option for when you are fighting trash enemies. Like what Pathfinder did with turn based being a toggle you could use even in the middle of combat.

6) NPC introductions were not in any way worse than in BG 1 & 2

7) I have no opinion about whether it should be named BG 3 or not. I'm more worried if I'll have fun with it or not.

8) I have no idea yet of character development along the game. Some characters in BG took a little while before their story would get interesting. I expect this will happen in BG 3.

9) I like how dice rolls are being done in the game. Throwing the dice gives me a nice P&P sensation.

10) I like the fact they added dialogue options depending on your race, religion, and class.

11) The game has some violent scenes. If you are sensitive to strong scenes, then be warned. A toggle to show this kind of scene should be added to the final game.
    I certainly wasn't expecting to be removing brains with my bare hands early in the game.

12) I usually play the good guys because they have the better story and rewards in most cRPGs. The fact the game is being tested for the evil path first is interesting and gives me hope you can be good or evil in the game and still be rewarded.

These are my early impressions after restarting the flight from the ship 4 times and having just added the 4th member to my party. Playing evil is kind of strange considering I normally like to play the good guy in games but it's actually fun.

Thanks for sharing these details.

The level of gore in the first trailer had me worried, and now that you mentioned it, I'd like to know if it's just at the beginning, or generally a rather detailed depiction of... things throughout the game. I'm a bit on the sensitive side in that matter and don't know how much I like to see close up in high resolution. I never heard people mention it much in their comments, but then, not everyone is as squeamish as I am. (And I know that's weird because I've seen pretty much in real life, but somehow it's different on a screen).

An option to switch off the worst scenes would be most welcome.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited October 2020
    Arvia wrote: »
    Well I do not like either Divinity games. I didn't even leave the first city in I or the prison in 2.

Decided to try the early access after getting tired of the endless war between the lovers and haters. So i wanted to form my own opinion.

So here it is:

1) The game is fun.

2) Sound is strange the notebook I'm playing it on... it's just too low, no matter how I set it in options

3) Vulkan should be fast in a GeForce card. It's so slow that I had to force close the game and switch to DirectX 11

4) There are obvious graphical and other kinds of glitches in the game. It's expected in EA. BG II EE looked like the Frankenstein monster during beta test...

5) Turn based works well in the game. I would like a RT option for when you are fighting trash enemies. Like what Pathfinder did with turn based being a toggle you could use even in the middle of combat.

6) NPC introductions were not in any way worse than in BG 1 & 2

7) I have no opinion about whether it should be named BG 3 or not. I'm more worried if I'll have fun with it or not.

8) I have no idea yet of character development along the game. Some characters in BG took a little while before their story would get interesting. I expect this will happen in BG 3.

9) I like how dice rolls are being done in the game. Throwing the dice gives me a nice P&P sensation.

10) I like the fact they added dialogue options depending on your race, religion, and class.

11) The game has some violent scenes. If you are sensitive to strong scenes, then be warned. A toggle to show this kind of scene should be added to the final game.
    I certainly wasn't expecting to be removing brains with my bare hands early in the game.

12) I usually play the good guys because they have the better story and rewards in most cRPGs. The fact the game is being tested for the evil path first is interesting and gives me hope you can be good or evil in the game and still be rewarded.

These are my early impressions after restarting the flight from the ship 4 times and having just added the 4th member to my party. Playing evil is kind of strange considering I normally like to play the good guy in games but it's actually fun.

Thanks for sharing these details.

The level of gore in the first trailer had me worried, and now that you mentioned it, I'd like to know if it's just at the beginning, or generally a rather detailed depiction of... things throughout the game. I'm a bit on the sensitive side in that matter and don't know how much I like to see close up in high resolution. I never heard people mention it much in their comments, but then, not everyone is as squeamish as I am. (And I know that's weird because I've seen pretty much in real life, but somehow it's different on a screen).

An option to switch off the worst scenes would be most welcome.

I'm not sure as I'm quite at the beginning but I would say this is possible at least until you deal with the parasite in your brain. Sent a suggestion to Larian.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I haven't seen any evidence to support claiming BG3 is in any way atypically successful yet. Yes it is successful, as was to be expected based on the combined popularity of the original BG games and D&D 5e. But there's nothing sensational about its sales numbers. I'm certain, for example, that pre-order numbers for CP2077 are well over a million, and it will sell several million in just a few days following its release. And no, not interested in any claims that the two cannot be compared. They absolutely can be compared. If BG3 manages to break DA:I sales numbers, I will then sit up and take notice. Until then, it is a successful game to be sure, but nothing special or out of the ordinary.

My take is that based on the three fandom sets I spoke of earlier here, those people who fall within all three are the ones super-excited about and happy with BG3. Those who fall into any two of the three sets are also quite happy though not to a crazy level of enthusiasm. And those (like me) who fall into only one of the three sets are lukewarm to cold in their reactions.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited October 2020
    kanisatha wrote: »
    I haven't seen any evidence to support claiming BG3 is in any way atypically successful yet. Yes it is successful, as was to be expected based on the combined popularity of the original BG games and D&D 5e. But there's nothing sensational about its sales numbers. I'm certain, for example, that pre-order numbers for CP2077 are well over a million, and it will sell several million in just a few days following its release. And no, not interested in any claims that the two cannot be compared. They absolutely can be compared. If BG3 manages to break DA:I sales numbers, I will then sit up and take notice. Until then, it is a successful game to be sure, but nothing special or out of the ordinary.

My take is that based on the three fandom sets I spoke of earlier here, those people who fall within all three are the ones super-excited about and happy with BG3. Those who fall into any two of the three sets are also quite happy though not to a crazy level of enthusiasm. And those (like me) who fall into only one of the three sets are lukewarm to cold in their reactions.

In terms of sales it is definitely a success from the perspective of DnD games which have never been very mainstream. Truly a shame that this is changing now, as the masses flood in and everything becomes streamlined to appeal to the broadest base possible and the original fans lose interest. Many such cases! This was already evident in DnD where the majority of the old fans stuck to 2e/3e while 5th was mostly the new players.

The people who feel the need to argue every point of criticism about BG3 and 5e are in the minority from all the boards i've seen, so I gotta agree with you about those three basic camps. I would label the overall response to the game as moderately positive.

For my part, I am already bored of BG3. Haven't touched it in a few days. It was entertaining for a time but didn't suck me in the same way many other great games have done before. The highlight of it really is in the looks of the game. Seeing Faerun in a very realistic way was entertaining in its own way.
    For my part, I am already bored of BG3. Haven't touched it in a few days. It was entertaining for a time but didn't suck me in the same way many other great games have done before. The highlight of it really is in the looks of the game. Seeing Faerun in a very realistic way was entertaining in its own way.
    ;)
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    kanisatha wrote: »

but also... they cannot be compared. Sorry. The fact that you needed to preface it speaks to that fact. CP2077 has several years of hype surrounding and is developed by the most celebrated arpg developer of the past decade. Their popularity with that product was so substantial that Netflix made a show about it (and I'm fairly sure Netflix wouldnt have bothered if not for the runaway success of The Witcher 3, since the books have been out for a pretty long time preceeding it).

1 million sales in 6 days is significant for an isometric CRPG - much less one that is in EA and was full price.

I agree Larian was always going to do pretty well here, mostly because they've got an exception reputation, 5e is more popular than it's been in a while - and because they are adding to a celebrated crpg legacy. 1 million is better than I would have expected in EA, and apparently better than Swen expected too.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    IThe bad: It will likely reinforce 5th edition as being the most popular system. Design choices going forward are going to appeal more to the masses and less to long time DnD fans.

The danger of DnD becoming so watered down as to resemble nothing of what I and many others originally liked about it, which 5e already comes close to, is pretty real.

All I'll say is this is pretty much true for each edition. My brother played and taught me 2.5, and I remember there being a lot of complaining and grousing at how newbie friend BAB was relative to Thac0.

5e is popular. It is well liked. It is the reason why D&D has had a major resurgence. It's certainly not everyone's favorite and for everyone - but these arguments arent new. The D&D community has survived 5 separate editions, many of which are very much unlike any others (3 is much further away from 2.5 than 5. 1 and 4 are both fairly unlike all the others).

TSR/WotC have always used their current ruleset for DnD videogames though. They will likely not deviate from this, so if we're going to get an upsurge in DnD videogames (yes please) they will be using 5e for as long as they don't have a 6e.

There could be differences in how a developer translates PnP to their videogame of course, but that'll be the extent of it.