Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III released into Early Access

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2020
    I'd give the same advice as Julius. I'm running it with a GTX 970 and I've had slowdowns and performance issues. I am running the game on high. But even on the lowest setting I think it might not work out.

So wait and see how much the minimum requirements drop as the game gets closer to release. We're still probably a year out or more.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited October 2020
    In the "Panel from hell" Sven said that the optimization IT guys "usually they are panicking but not this time" so he´s optimistic about the improvements in performance until the final game release.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    edited October 2020
    Anyone here played with a low end GPU? Is the game playable on very low with a GTS 450? Everything else in my PC is good and meet the requirement, except the GPU, a n GTS 450. I had an more modern GPU but got problems with her. I can play BF1 and other games with that GPU.

I'd hold off playing with a low-end GPU until they optimize the game. I have 2 devices: GeForce 1060 runs smoothly, GeForce 960 has FPS drops in areas like Avernus and during dialogues.

Would you say it goes to hell?
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    About optimization, here is the game on a Nvidia 940MX,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBwsEciUmIg
    edited October 2020
    There are people already fuzzing around the pak data of the game, and they found this data for expected companions

GrFYAee.png

So now we know there are files for this companions:

Minsc Ranger: the only returning companion from the Baalspawn Saga and the one everybody expected to appear.

Karlach: You met her already in the EA but I´m not sure about her class. She´s got a crossbow.

Helia: The Werewolf

Others like Volo and Halsen show as Camp followers.

Post edited by PsicoVic on
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited October 2020
    Spoiler tags for those who haven't seen this, please.
    I saw the same data leak so I don't have too much hope for the supposed "good" companions down the line.

However, I like the tiefling and am hyped to get her on the team.

Anyone who didn't expect that guy doesn't have their head on straight
    Post edited by WarChiefZeke on
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    So does it mean the whole game content is already there, just everything after Act1 is locked? Are you guys sure there will be no more files? I was just hoping for more companions, not necessarily all good-aligned, just more.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    edited October 2020
    Spoiler tags for those who haven't seen this, please.
    I saw the same data leak so I don't have too much hope for the supposed "good" companions down the line.

However, I like the tiefling and am hyped to get her on the team.

Anyone who didn't expect that guy doesn't have their head on straight
    Yup. What I've been saying. A good-aligned party will be: PC, Minsc, Gale, mercenary. Playing the game with such a party would be a waste of my time.
    Cahir wrote: »
    So does it mean the whole game content is already there, just everything after Act1 is locked? Are you guys sure there will be no more files? I was just hoping for more companions, not necessarily all good-aligned, just more.

Oh, they may be more and this might be subjected to change (It´s the EA files). What we know is that there are files for those creatures with dialogues as companions. It means at some point the devs thought about them. What is going to be in the end is still unknown.

The one that you already met in the EA has high chances of being in the game, provided you have voiced dialogues with her and stuff.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    Are those confirmed *party members* though? The prefix "CAMP_" could just mean they can show up in camp...
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Sjerrie wrote: »
    Are those confirmed *party members* though? The prefix "CAMP_" could just mean they can show up in camp...
    Yep, they are. There are certain phrases used in the files that only apply to party members.

Keep in mind this doesn't mean that they won't add any more. That's still possible.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited October 2020
    I just passed my Wisdom savings throw to not look at the spoilers.
    Had to save scum.

Twice.

I dont think I realized that, @PsicoVic - I assume that only applies to combined caster multiclass levels, right? If I rolled a level 1 Cleric, lvl 19 fighter... I'd be stuck with the casting power of a level 1 Cleric, I assume.

How does it work when you multiclass non-full casters? Such as a level 1 Cleric, level 19 Paladin?
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    elminster wrote: »
    I'd give the same advice as Julius. I'm running it with a GTX 970 and I've had slowdowns and performance issues. I am running the game on high. But even on the lowest setting I think it might not work out.

So wait and see how much the minimum requirements drop as the game gets closer to release. We're still probably a year out or more.

I guess that means I can stop asking myself if I'll eventually buy the game, at least for the next year or five. My GPU doesn't even seem to meet the minimum requirement.

Anyway, are there such things as demo versions for performance issues, or does it just work with refunds if someone finds out after half an hour that it's unplayable?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The game will be substantially optimized for the full release, so we can't even speculate how it will run on lower-end devices at that time. Optimization usually is being done after all other systems are in place.

Steam gives a 2-hour period for refunds, GOG gives even a bigger period (30! days). https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/26/21154402/good-old-games-refund-policy-30-days-download-played-blanket-policy
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    The game will be substantially optimized for the full release, so we can't even speculate how it will run on lower-end devices at that time. Optimization usually is being done after all other systems are in place.

Steam gives a 2-hour period for refunds, GOG gives even a bigger period (30! days). https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/26/21154402/good-old-games-refund-policy-30-days-download-played-blanket-policy

Thank you for that information. I had no idea that optimization is done after everything else. Also didn't know about refund policies, because I never needed it.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    So if I buy early access at $60 is that basically just paying for the game early? And then when it releases in full I've already paid for it?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Lemernis wrote: »
    So if I buy early access at $60 is that basically just paying for the game early? And then when it releases in full I've already paid for it?

Yes, you always keep the game you buy in Early Access once the Early Access period is over.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Lemernis wrote: »

Yes, you always keep the game you buy in Early Access once the Early Access period is over.

Thanks!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Arvia wrote: »
    elminster wrote: »

I guess that means I can stop asking myself if I'll eventually buy the game, at least for the next year or five. My GPU doesn't even seem to meet the minimum requirement.

Anyway, are there such things as demo versions for performance issues, or does it just work with refunds if someone finds out after half an hour that it's unplayable?

Sadly, demos are the exception, rather than the rules these days. The industry saw a statistic that games with demos sold less well than games that don't have demos and its basically gone the way of the dinosaur.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I have to agree. I have an RTX 2060 and I see slow downs every now and then... And that's using DirectX, I couldn't even start playing with Vulkan.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    I wish that they had raised the lv cap to 5, so we can see if fireball, lightning bolt and animate dead are nerfed or not...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2020
    Level 5 opens up a whole other can of worms though. Like cantrips needing to scale up, extra attacks for martial characters, 3rd level spells, the rogue's uncanny dodge, etc.
    Bleh. Just lost everything. I'll try to write more succinctly.

Thanks for the info @PsicoVic

I've played a lot of 5e, but never multiclassed a spell caster before, so I havent looked into those rules too quickly. A few follow up questions.

A level 19 cleric/1 Paladin. According to the above, you're saying that they share spell slots. So they would have access to level 9 spell slots (1). That means I could technically cast a Paladin level 1 spell (Hellish Rebuke, which a Cleric doesnt get) at level 9 -- even though a Paladin without multiclassing would only have level 5 spells? Not that it would be better than a Cleric's level 9 spells, I understand. Just curious about flexing spells between classes.

About warlocks. They share slots too? Warlocks work a bit differently than all the other casters, in that they only get a total of 4 slots by level 20, and those slots are always cast at the highest available level for the class. So if I had a level 10 Warlock and a level 10 Sorcerer, the Warlock's 2 spell slots at level 5 would be added to the level 10 sorcerer's spell slots, and that's it? Since Warlocks get spells back on short rest, would they get their 2 back each short rest, but the others would be used according to Sorcerer casting rules? Can I meta-magic my Warlock spells? (Feel free to not answer all of these, I dont know how much effort they take to find in the PHB)

The bit I didnt know at all about was the 1/3rd of fighter/rogue levels adding to spellslot lists. So you'd technically have 7 caster levels of spell slots for a level 1 cleric, level 19 fighter (but only with access to level 1 cleric spells).
    edited October 2020
    No worries, those are easy to answer. I hope I could make it in a way that it´s understandable.
    Bleh. Just lost everything. I'll try to write more succinctly.

Thanks for the info @PsicoVic

I've played a lot of 5e, but never multiclassed a spell caster before, so I havent looked into those rules too quickly. A few follow up questions.

A level 19 cleric/1 Paladin. According to the above, you're saying that they share spell slots. So they would have access to level 9 spell slots (1). That means I could technically cast a Paladin level 1 spell (Hellish Rebuke, which a Cleric doesnt get) at level 9 -- even though a Paladin without multiclassing would only have level 5 spells? Not that it would be better than a Cleric's level 9 spells, I understand. Just curious about flexing spells between classes.
    RAW, Sure you can:
    "If you have more than one spellcasting class, this table might give you spell slots of a level that is higher than the spells you know or can prepare. You can use those slots, but only to cast your lower-level spells. If a lower-level spell that you cast, like burning hands, has an enhanced effect when cast using a higher-level slot, you can use the enhanced effect, even though you don't have any spells of that higher level"

About warlocks. They share slots too? Warlocks work a bit differently than all the other casters, in that they only get a total of 4 slots by level 20, and those slots are always cast at the highest available level for the class. So if I had a level 10 Warlock and a level 10 Sorcerer, the Warlock's 2 spell slots at level 5 would be added to the level 10 sorcerer's spell slots, and that's it? Since Warlocks get spells back on short rest, would they get their 2 back each short rest, but the others would be used according to Sorcerer casting rules? Can I meta-magic my Warlock spells? (Feel free to not answer all of these, I dont know how much effort they take to find in the PHB)
    Warlocks can cast their own casting rules and could cast their spells on their own, but also can use the spell slots of the other class to cast warlock spells. But not vice-versa (Because warlocks regain spells in short rests, that would be an exploit).
    Ed: Oh, I forgot. Yeah, you can use sorcery metamagic with warlock spells. Just quicken all those eldritch blasts at your pleasure.

The bit I didnt know at all about was the 1/3rd of fighter/rogue levels adding to spellslot lists. So you'd technically have 7 caster levels of spell slots for a level 1 cleric, level 19 fighter (but only with access to level 1 cleric spells).
    If you are a fighter with spellcasting like the eldritch knight or the rogue arcane trickster, sure. If you are a champion, battlemaster, etc with no access to spells you are simply a level 1 cleric.
    If you have the same WIS stat, like 20Wis, your sanctuary or bane would have the same spell save DC (19) of a bane or sanctuary of a level 20 cleric, tho.

edited October 2020
    PsicoVic wrote: »

If you are a fighter with spellcasting like the eldritch knight or the rogue arcane trickster, sure. If you are a champion, battlemaster, etc with no access to spells you are simply a level 1 cleric.
    If you have the same WIS stat, like 20Wis, your sanctuary or bane would have the same spell save DC (19) of a bane or sanctuary of a level 20 cleric, tho.

Ohhh. I misread that then. So the fighter/rogue levels only matter if you're Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster. I thought you just meant any fighter level. That makes more sense, since it would feel exploity to be able to dip for 1 spell caster level and get 7 or 8 casts for free.

Okay. This all lines up with how I was thinking about it. The biggest takeaway for me is that you dont have to keep two separate pools of casts per spell level, but get to swap those around as you wish.

Thanks for all the info!
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    BTW, According to SteamSpy, Baldur's Gate 3 has already sold over one million copies on Steam alone. It seems full price and EA does not seem to hurt much the sales figures. I do not know if that would be good or less-than-good for data retrieval for the EA.

I just hope then that at least, they come out of Early Access with a game that those people don't feel cheated by. Based on prior releases, they'll likely manage it but this has probably lead to a lot of pressure they didn't necessarily expect to have.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    I'd be more careful with the optimization statements. Some games are optimized late, but there as just as many (if not more) examples where the demo/early versions are a pretty good approximation of release performance.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    No, they actually said the game is not optimized yet and that will come later.