Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III released into Early Access

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    I bet the dog would make a terrific tarrasque.

Are you out of your mind? CLEARLY, the dog should play the role of Fenrir. ;)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Dorcus wrote: »
    Phil Daigle will be vindicated by history!

What?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited October 2020
    "We took the most popular choices in character creation, and recreated this. We thought our analytics system wasn’t working! We checked. It is.
    Congratulations, you’ve basically made the default Vault Dweller. What the hell guys. We gave you demon eyes, horns, and even tails. We are sorely disappointed. Go crazy. We worked hard on this!"

:D gotta love humans
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    fluke13 wrote: »
    . Some YouTubers clearly don't have a clear about BG or forgotten realms (one was referring to Drow, as Drough).

And they're correct!
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    "We took the most popular choices in character creation, and recreated this. We thought our analytics system wasn’t working! We checked. It is.
    Congratulations, you’ve basically made the default Vault Dweller. What the hell guys. We gave you demon eyes, horns, and even tails. We are sorely disappointed. Go crazy. We worked hard on this!"

:D gotta love humans

i mean when i don't know what to play in dao i default to human noble.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    The difference is in DAO human noble is default (I love every Origin, but let's face it - the noble was the foundation of the story). In DnD humans usually win true additional feats.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I'm trying to stop watching early access YouTube videos. The game looks amazing. I could see myself in character creation for days. Is it just me or has Baldurs Gate, just gone mainstream? There are so many people hopping on the band wagon right now. Some YouTubers clearly don't have a clear about BG or forgotten realms (one was referring to Drow, as Drough)...but everyone is impressed. I've even started seeing d&d adverts on YouTube telling the clueless masses what d&d is. Normally I feel it's new Vs old school gamers, but for once we might both be happy.

What are you talking about, BG was always mainstream. It just 20-years-ago mainstream (20 years further up the stream?).

Yamcha wrote: »
    . Some YouTubers clearly don't have a clear about BG or forgotten realms (one was referring to Drow, as Drough).

And they're correct!

This is true. Drow is literally the same word as Dreugh.

And by literally I don't literally mean literally but stemming from the same root.

Zaxares wrote: »
    Mirandel wrote: »
    The difference is in DAO human noble is default (I love every Origin, but let's face it - the noble was the foundation of the story). In DnD humans usually win true additional feats.

I don't know about that, unless you meant that the Human Noble's origin probably has the greatest amount of tie-in's to the game's plot (mostly due to Arl Howe being such a prominent villain in the story)

That's the way I took it. The Noble really felt like it was the most "meant" to be the Origin of the story because he was the most relevant to the plot. I mean, the rest all have relevance to individual pieces, but the Noble really lands himself at the centre of the main quest.

And then there's the Dwarf Commoner who basically faffs about going "I have absolutely no relevance to any of this, fuck all you guys" for the entire game. I imagine the cut Human Commoner origin would have ended up being very much the same.
    2. The City Elf is presumably captured and executed by the law after killing Vaughan Kendells (since he never shows up again in the rest of the story).

Don't you end up meeting him again in Howe's torture basement? Iirc Howe has taken over the whole manor and is keeping him as hostage in the dungeon.
    Vaughan is in howe's dungeon if you play any other orgin. he only does not show up if you kill him as a city elf,
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    edited October 2020
    scriver wrote: »
    2. The City Elf is presumably captured and executed by the law after killing Vaughan Kendells (since he never shows up again in the rest of the story).

Don't you end up meeting him again in Howe's torture basement? Iirc Howe has taken over the whole manor and is keeping him as hostage in the dungeon.

Vaughan does end up a hostage, but only if he bribes your City Elf Warden, or if you play as some other Warden. It's possible Howe just told everyone the City Elf killed Vaughan, and thus had the City Elf executed. Soris (City Elf's cousin) is in the same prison.
    5. The Dwarf Commoner is locked up in the dungeons and dies either from starvation or possibly beatings from the guards for their temerity in daring to participate in the Provings as a casteless dwarf.

Dwarf Commoner goes on a hunger-strike, as mentioned by Leske, who you find in the same Carta hideout prison.

Inquisition technically also has all the potential Inquisitors exist, it's just that we never meet them and they likely all die in the explosion. :p
    Oh sorry I just realised the paranthesis was about the City Elf and not Vaughn. Subject mishap on my part! ;)
    @Sjerrie "Dwarf Commoner goes on a hunger-strike, as mentioned by Leske, who you find in the same Carta hideout prison."

Wasn't it a bet? I think I remember an npc commenting that they could have gotten out of that cell, but stupidly accepted a bet they couldn't win.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    I've played DA:O like... 3 or 4 times, and I *never* realized that the other Origins characters are ever referenced again. That's wild.
    @ThacoBell oh you're right!
    Sjerrie wrote: »

Oh good, I was afraid I might have finally gone insane.

On another note, I have a longstanding question about this game. Larian has teased that there are concrete links to the previous games, but are infuriatingly reluctant to divulge anything on it. If anyone in EA finds some (beyond easter eggs) I'd LOVE to know.

DESPITE the long running meme that I've given up on the game entirely or that I only complain about it, I HAVE commented on what I saw as positives in the past, and even posted some hopeful optimism after Larian's first AMA. Its not my fault that all the reveals in the last few weeks have been ones I do not agree with.
    ThacoBell wrote: »

On another note, I have a longstanding question about this game. Larian has teased that there are concrete links to the previous games, but are infuriatingly reluctant to divulge anything on it. If anyone in EA finds some (beyond easter eggs) I'd LOVE to know.

DESPITE the long running meme that I've given up on the game entirely or that I only complain about it, I HAVE commented on what I saw as positives in the past, and even posted some hopeful optimism after Larian's first AMA. Its not my fault that all the reveals in the last few weeks have been ones I do not agree with.

they seem to be rather minor like boo being mentioned in an item description.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited October 2020
    I forgot about DA:O. Great game. I choose the Dwarf Noble origin and I still think it's one of the better starting scenarios to any RPG. Too bad 2 and Inquisition were such disappointments, potential ruined. Can't even bring myself to care about the next entry.

DA:O and Mass Effect both made it so decisions made in one game greatly influenced the others. Seems like that trend died with them. I thought that was one of the best features about the games.

Not really any concrete references as of yet, but i'm sure we will get a few once we head into Baldurs Gate itself. Assuming that actually happens.
    edited October 2020
    megamike15 wrote: »

Weeell, Volo´s in the game. But he´s an iconic character of D&D, not only of the videogames.

So far I found lots of references to "Descent into Avernus" and the arpists, but nothing else besides the "Space hamster" book.

BTW I do not remember anyone of Larian talking about links with the previous games. They were consistently avoiding any references to the first games (Sven didn´t even remember the ending of TOB in an interview) but they advertise profusely the ties with "Murder in Baldur´s gate" or "Descent into Avernus", the canon lore of BG ( Abdel Adrian as the Hero of Baldur´s gate, the baalspawn refusing divinity..) etc.

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    (Sven didn´t even remember the ending of TOB in an interview) but they advertise profusely the ties with "Murder in Baldur´s gate" or "Descent into Avernus", the canon lore of BG ( Abdel Adrian as the Hero of Baldur´s gate, the baalspawn refusing divinity..) etc.

*Noises of utter despair*
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    megamike15 wrote: »

Weeell, Volo´s in the game. But he´s an iconic character of D&D, not only of the videogames.

So far I found lots of references to "Descent into Avernus" and the arpists, but nothing else besides the "Space hamster" book.

BTW I do not remember anyone of Larian talking about links with the previous games. They were consistently avoiding any references to the first games (Sven didn´t even remember the ending of TOB in an interview) but they advertise profusely the ties with "Murder in Baldur´s gate" or "Descent into Avernus", the canon lore of BG ( Abdel Adrian as the Hero of Baldur´s gate, the baalspawn refusing divinity..) etc.

Without being too spoilerish, do any events in the first two games play a role in how the story is shaped besides maybe featuring Bhaal or mentions of the Bhaalspawn? Without being too spoilerish, yes! The events of those games are part of the history of the city, and the wider world. They’re very important to our story.

Ties from the first two games come from this quote from the first AMA. I can also get you a direct quote some fan boi keeps posting to me on the Steam forums from Sven.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2020
    I have to say that for the most part I thought they really nailed all the DAO origins. The only one I felt was a bit bleh was the Dalish one. The city elf and mage were probably my favourites.

It's tougher I think with this because 5E has a ton of different backgrounds to choose. I'm not sure what their plans are but I would love to see at least a few small references to each background somewhere in the game. Even just as a random dialog option somewhere.

"[Acolyte] Uhh sorry I know my prayers and nothing you are doing looks like a prayer."
    "[Soldier] Ahh I heard of this formation gets used by bandits. Best to put your swords down now. Nothing you are doing is surprising me."

(these aren't responses to specific events in the game just me coming up with some random ones :) )
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @deltago If my thoughts are true, then we as players won't be able to find out about those ties until a little bit later in the game, after Act 1. When your character tries to survive in Act 1, it's a bit unrealistic to expect you as the player will learn all behind-the-scenes events in the world. At least to me, the game is full of mysteries and gave me a lot of things to consider in order to even start understanding what is happening. So, unfortunately, I won't be able to provide you with an answer yet.
    What if...

tddbbdlsy4qi.png
    I wasn´t so sure at first because I´m used to the usual rules of jump/disengage but I have to say after playing the game for a few I found it really fun for a videogame. Lots of tactical choices for you and the enemies.
    (In BG3 the list of bonus actions you can do per turn is expanded, you or your mage hand could push enemies away, you can jump into melee range without causing an attack of opportunity, use a fire surface to create a fire arrow that you can shoot, etc A bonus action is different from an action, so you can attack or cast a spell and make a bonus action. You only have one per turn, tho. You usually use it in D&D5e to attack with your off-hand weapon, cast a quick spell and things like that)

Jump/push also works both ways. If you can do it they can do it. I had a clacker push my reckless fighter over a cliff and insta kill her. But I have killed enemies the same way. So swings and roundabouts I guess
    The fact that your mage hand also can do it it´s also a plus.

The only minus is that I would like Larian to create something else for the rogues, because bonus disengage action was something only rogues could do in TT.

I hope the variant bonus actions of the EA ( dip, jump/disengage, push, etc) would stay until the final game release. It would be a nightmare for the TT but I think it works well in a videogame.

@Zaxares "I feel this. :/ I mean, it's understandable that WotC HAS to pick a canonical Bhaalspawn to go with, and the only real choice they have is Abdel Adrian, buuuut... I would really, really, REALLY like it if Larian were to surprise us and give us the opportunity to at least customize who the Bhaalspawn was in BG3 and what they did. For instance, maybe we could be talking to Volo about them and Volo's all "Oh yeah, Abdel Adrian was a Duke of Baldur's Gate and got muuuurdeeeeered!" And the PC can reply "Actually, I heard that the Bhaalspawn was a dwarven cleric. And she accepted divinity." The differences don't need to extend beyond BG3, and FR historians down the line can always dismiss it as "rumours and hearsay from uninformed sources", but I think it would make a huge difference to veteran BG players like myself if we had the option to feel like our decisions and actions in the previous games happened."

Oh yeah. Obsidian did this exact thing for KotoR 2. Back when this was first announced and it was stated that the p&p modules would be directly tied to this game, I vocalized a hope that they would take this route. If Obsidian could do it, what, about a decade-ish ago? Then there's zero reason why Larian couldn't do it today from a technical and writing standpoint.
    edited October 2020
    Technical and writing, nope, and I would like to see that. From the perspective of the WoTC license and the way they are applying the lore of D&D ingame... uh, not so sure about that.