Skip to content

BG3: Yay or Nay?

Comments

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    edited June 2019
    Adul wrote: »
    I feel the same way. BG1 did "open world" right before "open world" was really even a thing.

Eh, there were lots of open world RPGs for a long time before some people make it sound like Bethesda or the Witcher 3 (depending on who is making the claims) invented it. E.g. Magic Candle, Wiz 7, many Mights & Magics, Ultima, etc...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited June 2019
    Ammar wrote: »
    I feel the same way. BG1 did "open world" right before "open world" was really even a thing.

Eh, there were lots of open world RPGs for a long time before some people make it sound like Bethesda or the Witcher 3 (depending on who is making the claims) invented it. E.g. Magic Candle, Wiz 7, many Mights & Magics, Ultima, etc...

I didn't mean imply that BG1 had invented the wheel, what I meant was that it did its thing before open world game design became the "cultural phenomenon" that it is today. 'Twas a time when (C)RPGs were a really nerdy interest for really nerdy people, long before everyone and their grandma played Skyrim.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    yeah bg 1 did not create the way we see open world rpgs. if anything that title goes to ultima 7. and if you think that game is to old then fallout 1.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570

Exploring the BG1 maps is probably my favorite part of the whole BG saga, there's just something that I really enjoy about that experience. There's probably something to be said about how art, sound and area design in a video game can reflect the tranquility of nature or the rush of a busy city, but that stuff is above my paygrade.

It's a hugely unheralded aspect, but one of the best parts of the BG games is the overall audio design. It's the part of the game that has held up the best over the decades imo. Perhaps the only way it falters is that it has only one combat music -- but that's true of modern games as well. But it's truly amazing what they pulled off given the limited resources they were working with.
  • ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108
    edited June 2019
    Baldur's Gate has much different combat music depending on the area you are in. Cloakwood spider combat music, Deep dungeon combat music, outside, etc.
    Post edited by Thalamond on
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Thalamond wrote: »
    Baldur's Gate has much different combat music depending on the area you are in. Clockwork spider combat music, Deep dungeon combat music, outside, etc.

Yeah, I just looked at it with NearInfinity and I counted at least 11 different vanilla BG1 combat music tracks. I think the feeling of repetitiveness comes from the fact that each area uses only one combat music, so you'll hear the same track start and stop over and over again possibly a dozen times in short succession.
  • ThalamondThalamond Member Posts: 108
    Lol, I accidentally wrote "clockwork" instead of Cloakwood xD. Anyway, you are right, it gets kinda repetitive - especially when the area is heavily packed with trash mobs.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Will it have :cookie:s in it?
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Nimran
    Perhaps
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    There're more than enough cookies in browser history, do you really need them in your games as well.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Yes.
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    I've played a bit of PoE2 using the turn based mode (and my main reason for doing so is I kinda realised that the mode might mitigate the absolutely terrible performance I get on the game, mainly in battles) and you know what, its good. its pretty well implemented. I definitely could see it working for Baldur's Gate 3 to be turn based, but I was never against that in concept.

I'm probably going to be a lot more let down by how the game is visually constructed. Unless the Divinity engine can do 2D prerendered backdrops and Larian have been sitting on the fact like an arcane secret, the game is going to be full 3D. And that would be perfectly fine if this was Neverwinter Nights 3.

It just seems wrong for Baldur's Gate 3, especially as its not like the 2D isometric approach is actually dated. Its not when using high fidelity assets, essentially as the PoE games did.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    edited July 2019
    Why wouldn't they be able to do that 2D backdrops with a 3D engine and character models thing like POE2 does? It's not exactly an arcane secret.

And if it's entirely 3D and NWN-like, I'm sure they have the budget to make it look many times spiffier than Pathfinder: Kingmaker with far more art assets. And I thought that looked perfectly acceptable as it is, with a lot of charm.

Plenty of ways to make it look great. These things aren't a problem on any level.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I think Pathfinder: Kingmaker uses 3D pieces on a rendered 2D backdrop a la Pillars of Eternity, since iirc they use the same engine.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    scriver wrote: »
    I think Pathfinder: Kingmaker uses 3D pieces on a rendered 2D backdrop a la Pillars of Eternity, since iirc they use the same engine.

ToEE too.

Anyway On the first episode of our 4-part mini-series, Acquisition Incorporated "C"-Team member and D&D game designer, Kate Welch takes us on an adventure through this Baldur's Gate lead in, Dungeons & Dragons - Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus.

9 hours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxk8bM5OBEw

Will be an gameplay released?
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    I kept away from the Baldur's Gate series for a while after the absolute disaster of SoD. I never bought SoD, and had no desire to. I was actually very angry about it, because I felt like it had made a mockery of one of my all time favorite games.

However, the announcement of BG3 has rekindled my love for it, and even if it turns out to be a terrible game, at least during this period of patience we can feel excited for the future of the series again.

Hopefully the developers make sure they get as many ideas from the long-standing fans of the series as possible, as we know the series inside and out. I don't just want it to be an RPG with the BG name stuck on it. I want to feel like I'm back in that world again.
    @wraith5641
    I love SOD and don't think it makes a mockery of Baldur's Gate at all even though it has several flaws. To each their own I suppose.
    @wraith5641
    I love SOD and don't think it makes a mockery of Baldur's Gate at all even though it has several flaws. To each their own I suppose.

The whole debacle surrounding it and the subsequent review bombing left a bad taste in my mouth and seriously affected my ability to like it. It has obviously gotten better with time, but I can't get over what a travesty it all was at launch. It was so bad on this forum that I actually left, and I thought I may never play Baldur's Gate again.

From all of the gameplay I've seen, it isn't terrible. However, it's just unnecessary. It wouldn't improve my BG trilogy experience in any meaningful way.

The fact the next game is a completely new narrative and a "clean slate" means I'm willing to be much more open-minded this time around. I just hope that the developers of BG3 do everything naturally, and make sure they create a compelling story that doesn't feel forced.
    @wraith5641
    Just as long as we can agree to disagree peacefully all opinions are welcome here. I too look forward to whatever they have in store though I would like to see Minsc and Boo return in some capacity if possible even if it's just in Easter egg form.
    @wraith5641
    Just as long as we can agree to disagree peacefully all opinions are welcome here. I too look forward to whatever they have in store though I would like to see Minsc and Boo return in some capacity if possible even if it's just in Easter egg form.

Lol Haven't they already made a cameo in a game? I can't remember which one.

I have a feeling that Gorion's Ward is going to be a god in this game, and will have temples of worship in their honor. Depending on your alignment, they could be a good or evil god, and worshipping them could give you a boost to your abilities.

I'd also like Druids to have their own spellbook this time around. It always bothered me how lackluster the Druids are in the BG series.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    wraith5641 wrote: »
    @wraith5641

Lol Haven't they already made a cameo in a game? I can't remember which one.

I have a feeling that Gorion's Ward is going to be a god in this game, and will have temples of worship in their honor. Depending on your alignment, they could be a good or evil god, and worshipping them could give you a boost to your abilities.

I'd also like Druids to have their own spellbook this time around. It always bothered me how lackluster the Druids are in the BG series.

We already know that Gorion's ward chose mortality and died in Murder in Baldur's Gate. The announced timeline is BG1 - BG2 - MiBG - BG: Descent into Avernus - BG3. As far as druid spells and abilities, check out the 5th Edition PHB, it'll probably be pretty close to that.
    @BillyYank
    If they acknowledge Abdel Adrian in BG3 I will be filled with rage because that means that the games aren't canon and the books are.

We don't acknowledge the books here.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    @BillyYank
    If they acknowledge Abdel Adrian in BG3 I will be filled with rage because that means that the games aren't canon and the books are.

A lot of books specifically tied in with or adapted directly from a video game tend to be really poor all around. I'm not sure why it's like this. I read one of Richard A. Knaaks earlier books based on the Diablo universe. It was and I kid you not.. Like reading professionally published bad fan fiction. To be fair this was one of his earlier books, so whether or not he improved I'm not sure.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @BillyYank

Larian has already said as much. Abdel is the confirmed bhaalspawn, murder in baldur's gate is canon, the new P&P is canon, the games are not canon.

@wraith5641 You let the opinons of people who never played SoD affect your view of it?
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    wraith5641 wrote: »
    I kept away from the Baldur's Gate series for a while after the absolute disaster of SoD. I never bought SoD, and had no desire to. I was actually very angry about it, because I felt like it had made a mockery of one of my all time favorite games.

However, the announcement of BG3 has rekindled my love for it, and even if it turns out to be a terrible game, at least during this period of patience we can feel excited for the future of the series again.

Hopefully the developers make sure they get as many ideas from the long-standing fans of the series as possible, as we know the series inside and out. I don't just want it to be an RPG with the BG name stuck on it. I want to feel like I'm back in that world again.

You should give SoD a chance imo. It can't be that expensive right now. And no doubt there'll be a sale when BG3 gets released. Or Axis & Allies. Or Christmas at least. It's well worth it. It has flaws but it's clearly designed to cater to hardcore fans of the game. Lots of very challenging combat encounters. It's a pretty good solid combat grinder of D&D stuff at about the level of chapter 2 in BG2.

And none of the stuff that made controversial headlines plays a big role in the game's story or quests.
    edited August 2019
    @ThacoBell
    I guess I shall have to treat BG3 as an alternate universe then. Still gonna give it a chance.