Skip to content

Looking for RPG or JRPG

CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
Looking for either RPG or JRPG with party or class based game like that Last Epoch. Ideally with both
no multiplayer games or sexual content

OK here's the list of what I already have (kind of feels like list of shame)

RPG
DOS2
DOS Enhanced edition
The Witcher trilogy
Decay of Logos
Tower of Time
Ember
Shadows Awakening
Children of Morta
Neverwinter Nights 1 EE & 2
Plancecape Tormet EE
Temple of Elemental Evil
Kingdoms of Amalur
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 EE
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Pillars of Eternity 1&2
Bard's Tale Trilogy and Bard's Tale IV, and blobber Bard's Tale
Heroine's Quest the Herald of Ragnarok
Greedfall
Eternity the Last Unicorn
Oceanhorn Monster of Uncharted Seas
Willy Nilly Knight
Styx duology
Seven Enhanced edition (formerly Seven Days Long Gone)
Some Hyperdimension Neptunia games
Druidstone
Dark Souls
For the King
Cat Quest
Tyranny
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Drakensang series

JRPG
Crosscode
Atelier series on steam
Tangledeep
Regalia of Men and Monarch
Bloodstained ROTN
Dragon Dogma DA
Octopath Traveler
Tales of Berseria and Vesperia
Cosmic Star Heroine
Battle Chasers Nightwar
Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom
Okami HD
DRAGON QUEST® XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
Mistover

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    what about IWD? i dont see that on your list

although i never played the last epoch, it seems that it could be similar to diablo? what about those games?
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    I totally have that, but totally forgot about it.
    and Expeditions and Indivisible and Stygian and a lots of games... and DAO...

would you mind if I don't list every game I played or just own and I just tell you after you guys suggest it to me?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    what about final fantasy x/x-2

they are both on steam

if you dont have them already
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Kult: Heretic Kingdoms? Arx Fatalis is also a often overlooked gem.

Both GRANDIA HD Remaster and GRANDIA II HD Remaster are also quite. The sequel is currently 50% off, too.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    That lack of final fantasy tactics is disappointing
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Dragon Quest: Sentinels of the Starry Skies. A Dragon Quest game where you create a 4 person party and has a build system a bit like Tactics. Definitely one of the best in the series in my opinion.

• ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Might & Magic VI-VIII are timeless classic, if you haven't played them yet.
    Wizardry VIII too.
    wait are all of these on steam?
    Final Fantasy is bit too much japanise sci fi, then western fantasy and their most recent titles are with microtrasactions and others mostly too old for me

when was final fantasy tactics published?
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Have you tried the Ys or Phantasy Star series?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited November 2019
    typo_tilly wrote: »
    Ultima series

Speaking of Ultima, GoG has 3 Ultima games that are always free.
    Cvijeta wrote: »
    Final Fantasy is bit too much japanise sci fi, then western fantasy and their most recent titles are with microtrasactions and others mostly too old for me

@Cvijeta fft was made in the 90s, and it's completely different from the rest of the series due to it being a spin off, it's a tbs that is 99.9% western fantasy and the 0.01% bring old world technology that is only even acknowledge in a side story for one of the characters that use a gun.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Ultima series

Speaking of Ultima, GoG has 3 Ultima games that are always free.

yeah check out ultima 4 for free on gog. if you can't get into it try 7.

the only ff games i would call sci fi would be 8 and 13. 6 was steam punk, and 7 is industrial.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

Fallout 1 & 2

The new Shadowrun games are RPG-lite.
    Shadowrun: Dragonfall
    Shadowrun: Hong Kong

I agree to these. I love all 5 of these games (Fallout 2 is in my top 3 of all games ever), the two FO games and the three SR games. Don't overlook Shadowrun Returns. I did, starting with Hongkong and then moved to Dragonfall, skipping Returns for 2-3 years. Bought it cheap on GoG recently and now in hindsight I can't see why ppl think less of it, it's a great game on par with the latter two. Warning though, SR is cyberpunk and not everyone enjoy that setting.

Arcanum is another old-school RPG that some like and some don't. I am in the middle, I like it but has still never finished it.

IWD2 is on sale now, GoG I think it was. I got an email about it yesterday IIRC. I was thinking about picking it up myself.

Mount & blade is a very different kind of RPG, might be worth to check but I guess you've already heard of it considering how old it is and have discarded it. It has so much mods though you can make it into almost any setting which is cool; pirates, vikings, medieval etc.

Other than that I just want to say you got an impressive set of games already, hehe :D Not much to add that you haven't already played.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass. Mechanically its draws inspiration from several JRPG series, but doesn't have the "JRPG-ness" to it that turns some people off. Good music, great characters, surpisingly emotional and challenging for what its aesthetic would imply. Its even got a free 2 hour demo if your curious.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    I can certainly empathise with the plight of the OP. I love BG2, PoE, Deadfire and P:K -- but there's nothing else! It's such a shame.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    the oc for returns was made into a mod for hong kong. it's better to play that then buying returns.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    megamike15 wrote: »
    the oc for returns was made into a mod for hong kong. it's better to play that then buying returns.

Except Hong Kong completely screwed up the matrix, so no.
    Stick to Returns and Dragonfall.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Dev6 wrote: »
    megamike15 wrote: »

Except Hong Kong completely screwed up the matrix, so no.
    Stick to Returns and Dragonfall.

This!

Hong Kong had all the other mechanics nailed down, but they ruined the matrix. Having to manuever around all kinds of crap in a game that's normally turn based and not built to handle it was just stupid.

Although I haven't looked at the mod, maybe it doesn't use that annoying approach.
    @Dev6 and @DrHappyAngry
    I actually haven't got to play Hong Kong yet, since you all mentioned it I was wondering did they improve the magic system at all from return and dragonfall?

I played both games as a mage shaman hybrid and while it was fun, it felt underwhelming to say the least.

Atleast after a certain point o got free environment spirits to call on xD
    have shadowrun trilogy, have it twice both steam and gog
    have wizards and warriors
    i love remasters, so need to check grandia.
    nope, not grandia, too old.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

BASCUSE ME? You mean "classic", and Grandia is great.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    DragonKing wrote: »
    @Dev6 and @DrHappyAngry
    I actually haven't got to play Hong Kong yet, since you all mentioned it I was wondering did they improve the magic system at all from return and dragonfall?

I played both games as a mage shaman hybrid and while it was fun, it felt underwhelming to say the least.

Been awhile, but I was always unimpressed by mages in those games.

So I really dug Disco Elysium and just finished that. It's a very funky psychedelic noir detective story.
    ThacoBell wrote: »

BASCUSE ME? You mean "classic", and Grandia is great.

ps1 rpgs in general have aged just fine. if anything alot of jrpgs age better then alot of crpgs of that era.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    @Dev6 and @DrHappyAngry

I have a feeling going full mage/shaman in those games would get real boring real fast.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited November 2019
    Dev6 wrote: »
    @Dev6 and @DrHappyAngry

I have a feeling going full mage/shaman in those games would get real boring real fast.

Not IMHO. I just played through Returns and Dragonfall again as Mage with a splice of Shaman. It was fun, just as fun as Rigger or Samurai as I have played in the past. I haven't started HK with that same kind of char yet though.

Edit: I stacked up on all spells that remove AP and even added some strenght and grenade tossing in Returns and dabbled a bit with a few points in pistols for the tazer in Dragonfall. I made my guy the greatest disabler you could make and enemies were usually kept still until they died. Some might not find that very fun, hehe.. but I did. The toughest spells takes 2 or even 3 AP but with haste it works well and with grenade levels you can throw using one AP, so some rounds were spell + grenade, some were two spells, or a move and a spell etc. While some spell were on cooldown, you always had another and in those rare occasions most of your disablers were all on cooldown, I could toss -AP concussion grenades or heal teammates.

Returns is very kind with karma, you get a lot and since there aren't that many spells sold, I stopped at level 7 Willpower/spellcasting IIRC, so there were plenty of points left to spread out into shaman and grenades. Dragonfall is a bit slower and I also went higher in mage, so had less points most of the game to splice in other skills. HK gives good points and if you don't invest in cybernetics, since you're a mage, you save some points there to be used elsewhere.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited November 2019
    ps1 rpgs in general have aged just fine. if anything alot of jrpgs age better then alot of crpgs of that era.

Completely agree. Most of my favorite RPGs are on that system. Legend of Mana, Suikoden 1 and 2, and Wild Arms among them.