Skip to content

[Kickstarter] Pathfinder 2: Wrath of the Righteous

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Apropos modding:

a837313a22905623ef8c4c5b13cfc52a_original.png?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1581613043&auto=format&gif-q=50&lossless=true&s=4a00fb41a35eb525ce4c290d0d5ea519

WotR hit its Modding Support social goal and we are halfway to Kingmaker cameos making it in. Still no friend of cameos, but the Gallfrey romance is highly sought after by some. Good for them.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    My dearest hope is if Kitsune don't make it as a race we either A. Get it as DLC or B. Someone makes a mod for it.
    @Vallmyr Just take a quick look at the unofficial race poll. Kitsune are a fan favourite by many it seems. Ratfolk are as of now the runner-ups. And no one gives a damn about catfolk (which is good :p ).

Personally I cannot wait to see how the beastfolk lich will look like. Animal skulls with skeletal tails? Yes please!
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Ooh, newest stretch goal is enhanced reactivity. This is the stretch goal that's gotten me most excited.
    Golarion is a world rich with traditions, religions, and paths, where a bold and cunning adventurer can find their destiny. When making Pathfinder: Kingmaker, we tried to enliven this world for you as much as possible, making NPCs and your companions react to your race, choices, and appearance. But there is no such thing as “too much reactivity” in a CRPG. So, we decided to go beyond what we did in Kingmaker and add even more.

If we hit the next stretch goal, the Commander’s troops won’t hesitate to voice their opinion to all and sundry. The more we write them, the more we feel their personalities bloom and come to life. We get a sense of who tends to praise, who tends to joke, and who is often ready to make a snide remark. Reading each other’s dialogues, we often think: “Oh, Seelah (or another companion) has something to say about this!”, so why bottle it up?

Any hero who steps into the melting pot of the Fifth Crusade will now attract more attention and interest. And suspicion, of course. What made a tiefling with demon heritage join the crusade against their kin? Why did a noble elf leave Kyonin? And you, stranger, you’re basically an animal… right?

But it’s not just your race that will raise questions among curious crusaders and civilians. Are you picturing yourself as a skilled swordsman, warpriest, or cavalier on a glorious mount? You can bet that there will be characters who have an opinion on your chosen “career path.”

The camp, where your companions can relax and truly be themselves, is the place where bonds of friendship or mutual dislike are forged. This is the place where you can get to know your counterparts better, and now they will converse more freely around you, expressing themselves to the fullest. Long story short: we’re offering you more party banter and more reactivity, so you can experience Golarion as a living, breathing world.
    More reactivity is always a plus, especially with a game of this size. Bit of a bummer that Owlcat has confirmed that no new deities will be included. Would have loved to actually worship Demon Lords instead of gods. Considering that the Skald got us the Demon Dancer archetype and all.

Similarly the next hidden stretch goal will likely present us with 1 additional archetype... per class! That's basically 24 new kits all in one stretch goal! :smiley:
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    More reactivity is always a plus, especially with a game of this size. Bit of a bummer that Owlcat has confirmed that no new deities will be included. Would have loved to actually worship Demon Lords instead of gods. Considering that the Skald got us the Demon Dancer archetype and all.

Similarly the next hidden stretch goal will likely present us with 1 additional archetype... per class! That's basically 24 new kits all in one stretch goal! :smiley:

What! Boo! (Not the rodent)

Only having human gods is blah. My elven paladin had a hard time choosing a faith because of it.
    Imo, the Golarion deities are very lacking in comparison to FR. I mean, really, only ONE gnome deity? I mean I like her but the human centrism of the Golarion pantheon is lame.

Hopefully we get some decent archetypes for the under served classes. None of the paladin, fighter or Inquisitor archetypes really seemed that interesting to me, and in the case of fighter, the base class is superior to the archetypes with the weapon training feats it gets.

Hopefully we get some decent archetypes for the under served classes. None of the paladin, fighter or Inquisitor archetypes really seemed that interesting to me, and in the case of fighter, the base class is superior to the archetypes with the weapon training feats it gets.

Well I am personally enjoying my Divine Hunter (precise shot for other range user is nice, and smite evil from behind your meatshields also works wonders) and two-handed fighter works nicely with Amiri (even if her Bastard Sword prof doesn't. Seriously Owlcat, two of your tanks use the exact same proficiency and exotic one at that?!)

So I guess it's a matter of playstyle when it comes to the archtypes.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Post to watch
    deltago wrote: »

Well I am personally enjoying my Divine Hunter (precise shot for other range user is nice, and smite evil from behind your meatshields also works wonders) and two-handed fighter works nicely with Amiri (even if her Bastard Sword prof doesn't. Seriously Owlcat, two of your tanks use the exact same proficiency and exotic one at that?!)

So I guess it's a matter of playstyle when it comes to the archtypes.

Ya, I'm just not as into playing archers in CRPGs, so Divine Hunter never really seemed that interesting to me. 2 Handed fighter's really only good if you only want to do a 5 level dip. They don't get the movement speed bonus in heavy armor or weapon training feats. Even then, against a 5th level basic fighter you'll get close to the damage of overhand chop with one level of weapon training and some gloves that give you another +2 to damage with a weapon you have training with. There's some really sweet weapon training feats, too, like one that makes it so your weapons are always considered light for purposes of dual wielding. Another one lets you use your bravery saving throw bonus on all will saves, which helps make up for that being their weakest save. I think those non-weapon weapon training feats (hah) only start showing up with 9 fighter levels, though.
    edited February 2020
    Well, for what's worth the archetypes we are currently aware of are rather nice.

Paladin gets Martyr and Warrior of the Holy Light.
    Wizards have the Exploiter Wizard for one.
    Bards get the Dirge Bard.
    Monks have the Zen Archer as well as Sohei.
    Warpriest will be getting Feral Champion, Shieldbearer, Champion of the Faith, Disenchanter and Cult Leader.
    Cavaliers have the Gendarme, Beast Rider, Standard Bearer, Knight of the Wall and Disciple of the Pike.
    Skalds get Battle Scion, Herald of the Horn, Court Poet, Hunt Caller and Demon Dancer (my personal favourite ?).
    Witch gets Winter Witch, Hagbound, Hex Channeler, Ley Line Guardian and a homebrew archetype by Owlcat.
    Shaman has the Spirit Hunter (another homebrew).
    And last but not least Kineticists get the Overwhelming Soul.
    Fighter gets Dragonheir Scion, Armiger and Mutation Warrior.
    Slayer will have the Arcane Enforcer (homebrew).

Edited after wading through the official forums.
    Edit 2: Included the new Witch archetypes from the newest kickstarter update.
    Edit 3: Added new Fighter archetypes to the list.
    Post edited by Kamigoroshi on
    DIRGE BARD DIRGE BARD DIRGE BARD DIRGE BARD DIRGE BARD DIRGE
    Warrior of Light sounds cool, but Martyr seems weird. I have to question anyone whose special power is they can bleed on command. Cult Leader sounds immensely amusing.
    Martyr seems weird. I have to question anyone whose special power is they can bleed on command.
    Gotta keep them dhampirs happy.
    Martyr seems weird. I have to question anyone whose special power is they can bleed on command.
    Gotta keep them dhampirs happy.

That would be very weird to make a Dhampir Martyr.
    https://youtu.be/KBCkI8i6ubc

Owlcat will start a special Valentine livestream about WotR in about 5 hours. ?
    Surely we will hear about companions, romances and other relationships given the video thumbnail.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    "Paladin gets Martyr and Warrior of the Holy Light."

Ah, so its a crossover with Final Fantasy!
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Lichdoom would be amazing. On PF:KM1 you can have a lich attendent and have a undead companion...
    So I heard character portraits will be in 3D this time around. Players will of course be still able to have custom ones as well, but I am mildly conflicted about that. I mean... 3D portraits worked incredible well in Planescape: Torment, for instance. So it's not inherently a bad thing to have. Yet at the same time Neverwinter Nights 2's 'portraits' were a *nightmare* to behold. :/

Gotta hope for the best. Owlcat has after all already proven that they employ awesome 3D artists.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I was never a fan of 3d portraits, personally.
    In other news, we got an update about the Witch class over at kickstarter.
    I've edited the archetype list above accordingly to the new informations.

Also, also: I love Owlcat for giving us the Hagbound archetype. Ever since seeing Gyronna amongst the playable patron deities in Kingmaker, I wanted to play as a hag myself: with hunched back and all of that. Previously I could only satisfy this urge with a Cleric of Gyronna and the Madness domain. Not anymore! Now I finally will be able to play a true hag in WotR. <3

Now, if only we could get Changelings as part of a stretch goal...
    edited February 2020
    So I heard character portraits will be in 3D this time around. Players will of course be still able to have custom ones as well, but I am mildly conflicted about that. I mean... 3D portraits worked incredible well in Planescape: Torment, for instance. So it's not inherently a bad thing to have. Yet at the same time Neverwinter Nights 2's 'portraits' were a *nightmare* to behold. :/

Gotta hope for the best. Owlcat has after all already proven that they employ awesome 3D artists.

At the time NWN2 came out I dug them. Looking back, they weren't that great with the default models, but with some mods they do look good. If they're doing 3d portraits WOR, they really need to have a lot more options for designing your toon. Actually, even if they don't do 3d portraits, they really need more customization options for the toons, especially for the non-human races.

*edit. Also looks like we're closing in on the enhanced reactivity. Just $7k more to go at this time.
    Updated the archetype list yet again, because now we know more about the future Fighter archetypes: a dragonblooded warrior, a Hellknight squire and a Witcher. :p

Doubled Reactivity is also in the bag. Next are the overall 24 new archetypes.
    And: chances are that the hidden stretch goal will be New Race - Oread. They're basically earth genasi in Pathfinder. Could also be New Pet - *something something* tho.
    The extra archetypes are in. Next up is a race called Oread at $1.39 million. I'm not familiar with them, but they sound like Earth Genasi from the description. I'm not terribly enthused about this one. Also a Spanish localization is up with this goal.
    Oread is sooooooooo underwhelming, I would have preferred they pick the top two races from the poll instead.
    Vallmyr wrote: »
    Oread is sooooooooo underwhelming, I would have preferred they pick the top two races from the poll instead.

I was thinking the same thing but it might have to do with character models and it being too expensive to do two of these unique ones.
    edited February 2020
    Owlcat wanted to do the elementals/pathfinder genasi ever since Kingmaker. But the kickstarter back then never reached their specific stretch goal. So it doesn't surprise me that they're trying to introduce them this time around. They are one of the races, which can get rather fast done, especially if one elemental race gets in at a time.

I saw many people complaining about this $195k stretch goal. Not only because they find Oreads to be lacklusting. But mainly due to the Spanish localization. It seems some backers don't know exactly how expensive localizations are. We know that WotR has a word count of over 1 million words. A professional translator usually takes around 0.15 €/$ per word. This usually also includes the necessary quality control, editing and proof reading.

That alone would be $150k right off the bat. Meaning the pseudo-earth genasi cost them at most $45k. Which is a reasonable price, given the ratfolk/catfolk/kitsune stretch goal did cost us $75k.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited February 2020
    saw many people complaining about this $195k stretch goal. Not only because they find Oreads to be lacklusting. But mainly due to the Spanish localization. It seems some backers don't know exactly how expensive localizations are. We know that WotR has a word count of over 1 million words. A professional translator usually takes around 0.15 €/$ per word. This usually also includes the necessary quality control, editing and proof reading. k.

Hire a freelancer translator from Argentina. Their Spanish is more close to Spain Spanish than Mexico Spanish AND their currency is losing value every day...

Anyway, since you will be able to become a Lich in the game. How the phylactery mechanics will gonna work?