Skip to content

[Kickstarter] Pathfinder 2: Wrath of the Righteous

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    There's an interesting update on what they're doing to make sure Wrath of the Righteous has a smoother release than Kingmaker did.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2759746
    Some of it they've talked about with Kingmaker, like they basically have bots playing the game all the time, looking for bugs. They've definitely come a long way from when Kingmaker was released on the QA.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Wholehearted agreed on that one. It's nothing short of fascinating to nowadays see game studios using bots to actually test and fix any bugs they come across. This should make the alpha and beta tester's experience so much easier when compared to Kingmaker.

In other news:
    "In Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous you will have old portraits from Kingmaker and new ones :) So there will enough options to choose from. It won't have the size of a portrait pack, but it will have consistency in style and quality."
    @ThacoBell Looks like WotR will not use 3d portraits after all! :smiley:
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yay!
    Another update hit kickstarter: Enter the Dhampir!
    The half-vampires get their various progenitor heritages into WotR:

The Jiang-Shi-Born have their roots from the Chinese hopping vampires. They're the ones with the funny walking and a paper talisman stuck on their forehead.
    The Moroi-Born are the typical beautified European vampires. Think of Warhammer vampires and you end up getting Moroi.
    The Vetala-Born's heritage stems from the Hindu inspired revenants of the same name. Instead of blood they feed on the psyche of others. Making them double exotic.
    And then there are the Nosferatu-Born. Just like their undead ancestors, these unfortunate fellas age just like humans do. Resulting in a raisin-like appearance the older they get.
    From the description it also sounds like Dhampirs will require negative energy (inflict wounds/channel negative energy) to heal like Jaethal did in Kingmaker.

Any word if they might do something with heritages for other subraces like Elves and Dwarves?
    Yes, dhampirs are healed by negative energy and take damage from positive energy just like undeads do. There's a racial feat for dhampirs to nullify the positive energy damage. But that one comes with the demerit of rendering the efficiency of both positive and negative healing energy by -50%.

They also have a racial feat series called Blood Drinker. You basically choose the blood of a race type, which you can then drink to replendish health. So you can actually roleplay a vampire rather nicely if you invest feat slots into it.
    That being said, we still don't know if those racial feats are making it in.

As for elves and dwarves: they don't have heritages to choose from. More advanced races such as drow, svirfneblin and duergar are not considered subraces in Pathfinder per say. But effectively are treated as their own species. Closest thing would probably be the alternate racial traits of half-elves. But I heard no word of them making it into WotR.

The Oreads will get their two heritages though.
    Ya, I just figured from an interface perspective sticking the sub races in like heritages might fit for the character creation. I'd love to see more variation with the more traditional fantasy races.

Still not enthused about Oreads, though...
    edited February 2020
    Introducing a New Companion: The Child Crusader
    b9aabe72c6e51560dea6906456f7652a_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1582228824&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=0e7d816073943c0392742d15433fa408
    Or as I like to call her: Aerie's long lost doppelganger who ended up on Golarian through one of Neera's critical Wild Magic failures.

Elvish ancestry, check.
    Blonde(?) curles, check.
    Naive personality, check.
    Goody-two-shoes, check.
    Missing body parts, check.
    Very likely romanceable, check.
    Full caster with healing capabilities, check.
    Chances to get totally on my future CE Hagbound Witch of Gyronna's nerves, check.

See? That's totally Aerie! As if one wasn't enough already. Bah!

Edit: Seems Owlcat already confirmed that Ember will be not romanceable. Phew! One pain less.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    That we have to ask @Aerie about.
    Yes, but can my Gnome knock her up and create this horrible winged elf/gnome grandson of a god?
    edited February 2020
    Yes, but can my Gnome knock her up and create this horrible winged elf/gnome grandson of a god?
    Luckily not. Owlcat put a lock on her chastity belt. Which will undoubtly piss off a fair amount of backers who previously chased after Aerie.

A pity though that we learned almost nothing about her homebrewed witch archetype. We know it heals and buffs allies, but that's pretty much it. And no: it's name is not Child Crusader. :p
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    Not sure I'm enthused about a character like Ember. One of my favorite things about the BG franchise is how rather than having an NPC created to fill a particular role, you usually had to create a role for a given NPC.

(That is to say - The characters and their classes were sub-optimal in most cases in BG1 + 2. There was no clear "This is the best possible healbot character". Viconia was probably the best, and she only had a 15 Wisdom, was off the beaten path and required a 2-hit to reputation along with a guaranteed conflict with a certain Paladin NPC).

Juxtapose this with PF: KM which had characters built to be the best they could be of that variety, or at least close to it (Tristian, Nok Nok, etc). Certainly not all NPCs in PF:KM were that way. Linzi being a good example of a character who's role wasnt perfectly defined. You just have to fit her in somehow.

Hopefully Ember is more Linzi and less Tristian (although by the homebrew archetype, I'm not counting on it).
    Another thing to consider is that Ember has only one functioning hand to use. The other one has just two remaining fingers attached to it. I... uh, wouldn't count on her weapon skills and instead stick on hexes and spells. If I'd ever plan on using her, that is.
  • AerieAerie Member Posts: 226
    Introducing a New Companion: The Child Crusader
    b9aabe72c6e51560dea6906456f7652a_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1582228824&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=0e7d816073943c0392742d15433fa408
    Or as I like to call her: Aerie's long lost doppelganger who ended up on Golarian through one of Neera's critical Wild Magic failures.

Elvish ancestry, check.
    Blonde(?) curles, check.
    Naive personality, check.
    Goody-two-shoes, check.
    Missing body parts, check.
    Very likely romanceable, check.
    Full caster with healing capabilities, check.
    Chances to get totally on my future CE Hagbound Witch of Gyronna's nerves, check.

See? That's totally Aerie! As if one wasn't enough already. Bah!

Edit: Seems Owlcat already confirmed that Ember will be not romanceable. Phew! One pain less.

WOW. That really does look like me.

Maybe slighter uglier and dirtier, but she does look like me. It's quite clear some aspects of my character were borrowed from and even inspired this character.

Who could blame the designers? I am the best Elvish character personality of all times.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Very much looking forward to this. Between WotR, Black Geysir and Encased, I have a lot of neat rpgs to look forward to. Sometimes life is good.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i would not put it past them if she is an intentional expy of aerie.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited February 2020
    saw many people complaining about this $195k stretch goal. Not only because they find Oreads to be lacklusting. But mainly due to the Spanish localization. It seems some backers don't know exactly how expensive localizations are. We know that WotR has a word count of over 1 million words. A professional translator usually takes around 0.15 €/$ per word. This usually also includes the necessary quality control, editing and proof reading. k.

Hire a freelancer translator from Argentina. Their Spanish is more close to Spain Spanish than Mexico Spanish AND their currency is losing value every day...
    Yeah, but it is easier to translate from english to mexican spanish, half of the words we use are in english anyway :D

There've been a few updates since anyone last posted about them, but today they released an update about how they're handling all the different choices you can make
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2768783

I do really hope they're moving away from just zipped json files for their save system. It might be easy as hell to manipulate, but I don't think it's the best for performance and size.

They're also closing in on the new race and Spanish localization, just $30k more to go, so it'll probably make it.
    edited February 2020
    Turns out we reached Oreads + Spanish localization while I had my beauty sleep. Good news for fans of “Rock“ music! ?

j12sk3vxqhqp.png

Next up coming are two additional romances: one being a Noblewoman Half-Elf Shaman, the other a dirty rich Aasimar Gentleman Oracle.

Also, the hidden stretch goal this time appears to be $1,550M +? Attack Animations. Discord is still undecided whenever it's a 2, 8 or 9. For a $50k stretch goal it should benefit all players equally. Given how one of Kingmaker's critics was the way animations were handled.

Edit:

https://youtu.be/50q0r2CEJbA

New gameplay footage of the pre-alpha build has also been released. Looking real good thus far! :smiley:
    Post edited by Kamigoroshi on
    Yeah, oracle, please. That was one of my favorite classes. Some of the curses were really fun to play, like the haunted curse that made a poltergeist fizzing around with your equipment or the one that scares away all the animals in your vicinity.

I doubt that they can include all the Mysteries and curses available for the game but maybe some modders could take care of it if we have the base class ready.

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Turns out we reached Oreads + Spanish localization while I had my beauty sleep. Good news for fans of “Rock“ music! ?

j12sk3vxqhqp.png

Next up coming are two additional romances: one being a Noblewoman Half-Elf Shaman, the other a dirty rich Aasimar Gentleman Oracle.

Also, the hidden stretch goal this time appears to be $1,550M +? Attack Animations. Discord is still undecided whenever it's a 2, 8 or 9. For a $50k stretch goal it should benefit all players equally. Given how one of Kingmaker's critics was the way animations were handled.

Edit:

https://youtu.be/50q0r2CEJbA

New gameplay footage of the pre-alpha build has also been released. Looking real good thus far! :smiley:
    Yeah looks incredible actually. Loving the rotatable camera. :smiley:

This is what a good cRPG looks like.
    https://youtu.be/gKjXqqVnoYE

Owlcat uploaded a little youtube update just the other minute ago. It's all in Russian, but luckily for us the vid is all about WotR's music. And music knows no language barriere! :wink:

Alternatively, people who do not speak Russian can always opt to enable english subtitles.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    I really hope main story and the NPC's will be interesting this time. Kingmaker was a major letdown for me in this aspect. Technical and gameplay-wise game looks really solid, but it's the story, world and characters that are the main draw to me in crpgs.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    They should bring vampirism too. Liches are good for dark Wizards but IMO vampires fit more Witches, Sorcerers and etc.
    If they bring vampires into the mix, then via either an custom archetype involving vampirism or the Vampiric bloodline. Although the Blood Kineticist is pretty decent as well for playing a dhampir. They were pretty clear that there will be no more additional Mythic Paths beyond the existing ones.

In other news, we reached the Queen Galfrey romance social goal as well.
    edited March 2020
    I sincerely hope that they nerfed the kineticist, the base archetypes were OP enough, if you bring the blood kineticist into the fold that could be a killfest. At least normal kineticist have to deal with damage reductions, if you have the "ignore damage reduction" thingy of the Blood kineticist... ʅ( ‾⊖◝)ʃ

I do not think you even need the mythic feature, you are a demigod at level three. Talking about playing in god mode...
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I'm against nerfs unless it's to make things more in line with PnP. I'm a purist in terms of I want things to be as close to PnP as possible, this includes though firing ranged attacks through allies should cause enemies to receive an AC bonus due to soft cover (I use a mod for kingmaker that does as such).
    edited March 2020
    New Kickstarter update talks about the Shaman.
    It's archetypes will amongst others include Spirit Warden, Witch Doctor, Unsworn Shaman, Possessed Shaman and Owlcat's homebrew Spirit Hunter.

Still hoping Animist will also making it in...

Edit:
    pag22uaxrl3l.jpg
    Camellia's portrait has been finished.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that they nerfed the kineticist, the base archetypes were OP enough, if you bring the blood kineticist into the fold that could be a killfest. At least normal kineticist have to deal with damage reductions, if you have the "ignore damage reduction" thingy of the Blood kineticist... ʅ( ‾⊖◝)ʃ

I do not think you even need the mythic feature, you are a demigod at level three. Talking about playing in god mode...

NO nerf, please

Unless is to make the more pnp like.

Look to NWN2 warlock. Is so nerfed comapred to pnp that without the warlock reworked mod, is only playable due companions NWN1 Pale Masters too... Useless. Since is a SP game, you can don't use if you don't like the class.