Skip to content

The New Light - collective thread for Lava's and AionZ's mods

123457»

Comments

• saoxsaox Member Posts: 104
    edited March 2023
    Wait, what weapon? The pot didn't give me any weapon.

Yes, exactly my first game had pages being absorbed, now in the second game no. What should I do now ? Is there a way to 'absorb' the pages manually ? Also, I am about to return back to Easthaven having finished the Lower Dorn and all Leutenants, but I still don't have the complete book - did I miss something ? Should I proceed ? Do your mods continue in Heart Of Winter ?

Also the Icy Pond from the blue book location doesn't show on the map despite me having the book in my 2nd run. Feels like something broke in my 2nd game.

• LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    It looks like it broke, yes. Perhaps you reinstalled something mid-game.

The entity from the pot should become your weapon (unless you decide to destroy it).
    The Our Lady Dreamless location should appear right after you find the "blue book".
    The pages should become one with the book. And fixing it with a console would require setting a bunch of variables. That's what happens behind the stage:
    //PAGE 1

IF
    AreaCheck("AR4000")
    PartyHasItem("L#KUBOOK")
    Exists("L#KUBPA1")
    Global("L#KUSignalPage1","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("L#KUSignalPage1","GLOBAL",1)
    DisplayStringHead(Player1,@0 /* The Incomplete Book of Bigby's Heritage opens up. One of its pages must be nearby. */)
    END

IF
    PartyHasItem("L#KUBOOK")
    PartyHasItem("L#KUBPA1")
    Global("L#KUPage1Restored","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    TakePartyItem("L#KUBPA1")
    DestroyItem("L#KUBPA1")
    SetGlobal("L#KUPage1Restored","GLOBAL",1)
    DisplayStringHead(Player1,@1 /* The Incomplete Book of Bigby's Heritage opens up again and absorbs the page you have found. */)
    END

//PAGE 2

IF
    AreaCheck("AR5003")
    PartyHasItem("L#KUBOOK")
    Exists("L#KUBPA2")
    Global("L#KUSignalPage2","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("L#KUSignalPage2","GLOBAL",1)
    DisplayStringHead(Player1,@0 /* The Incomplete Book of Bigby's Heritage opens up. One of its pages must be nearby. */)
    END

IF
    PartyHasItem("L#KUBOOK")
    PartyHasItem("L#KUBPA2")
    Global("L#KUPage2Restored","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    TakePartyItem("L#KUBPA2")
    DestroyItem("L#KUBPA2")
    SetGlobal("L#KUPage2Restored","GLOBAL",1)
    DisplayStringHead(Player1,@1 /* The Incomplete Book of Bigby's Heritage opens up again and absorbs the page you have found. */)
    END

//PAGE 3

IF
    AreaCheck("AR6003")
    PartyHasItem("L#KUBOOK")
    Exists("L#KUBPA3")
    Global("L#KUSignalPage3","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("L#KUSignalPage3","GLOBAL",1)
    END

IF
    PartyHasItem("L#KUBOOK")
    PartyHasItem("L#KUBPA3")
    Global("L#KUPage3Restored","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    TakePartyItem("L#KUBPA3")
    DestroyItem("L#KUBPA3")
    SetGlobal("L#KUPage3Restored","GLOBAL",1)
    END

//ALL PAGES

IF
    CombatCounter(0)
    PartyHasItem("L#KUBOOK")
    Global("L#KUPage1Restored","GLOBAL",1)
    Global("L#KUPage2Restored","GLOBAL",1)
    Global("L#KUPage3Restored","GLOBAL",1)
    Global("L#KUPagesGathered","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("L#KUPagesGathered","GLOBAL",1)
    SetGlobalTimer("L#KUBookTime","GLOBAL",7)
    END

IF
    CombatCounter(0)
    PartyHasItem("L#KUBOOK")
    Global("L#KUPage1Restored","GLOBAL",1)
    Global("L#KUPage2Restored","GLOBAL",1)
    Global("L#KUPage3Restored","GLOBAL",1)
    Global("L#KUPagesGathered","GLOBAL",1)
    GlobalTimerExpired("L#KUBookTime","GLOBAL")
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("L#KUPagesGathered","GLOBAL",1)
    TakePartyItem("L#KUBOOK")
    DestroyItem("L#KUBOOK")
    GiveItemCreate("L#KUBOK2",Player1,1,1,0)
    DisplayStringHead(Player1,@2 /* The Incomplete Book of Bigby's Heritage is almost complete. Return to Kuldahar to finalize the process of restoration. */)
    END

Is there any chance you (re)installed some mods just before you started the 2nd run OR you installed stuff during the 2nd run?
    I didn't reinstall anything :(. Really weird. The pot didn't become a weapon either on my first run. I only installed your mods.
    edited March 2023
    Then it's even weirder, considering that it works in one run and doesn't work in the other one. You may still post your WeiDU.txt from your IWDEE directory. Just in case. Perhaps it's going to provide some hints. Just use a spoiler tag so the thread remained easy to read.
    Earthstar handle is found in IWD and Earthstar head is found in HoW. There is no way to construct that weapon without importing the character as it is not possible to move back from HoW to IWD, unless you added some way ?
    Ah. That is very non intuitive hahah. Also, finding the Earthstar handle in the begining of the game and having an interaction with the smith in Kuldahar gave the impression I should find the other element before killing the final boss in IWD. Could be good to somehow hint on it so as to set expectations right. It is a nice artefact though and once again - I love the life you breathed into the original game! Are you considering to do somethings on HoW? =)
    But you find the other part before beating the final boss. HoW is supposed to take place after you reach 9 level, then you return to Kuldahar to continue the main campaign. HoW happens in the middle of the original campaign and that's how the game works and I don't think I should be adding hints on something that is there, in the original game. Furthermore, it's the idea behind reforging stuff: it shouldn't be too obvious, finding all parts should be somehow hard.

I'm not planning any new mods for IWD right now. Or at least I haven't even started working on anything new for that game.
    On really? I always played the game in the sequence of IWD, ToL, HoW. It somehow would feel 'too easy' to be level 15 to kill the final boss, but maybe you are right haha.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited May 2023
    Are there some recommended party constellations for the "new" (I'm getting old...) IWD NPCs? I understand that some of them offer more content than others (Dusky, Karihi, Dandelion...?). And will the evil characters fit into a more neutral or good party or would that be too jarring in terms of writing (I understand there are no mechanical conflicts). I'll probably only manage one playthrough with them, so I'd prefer mixing those with the most content rather than two separate alignment-based teams.
    Most evil characters should still fit well. Well, perhaps T'viy may feel weird, as the leader would need to be REALLY tolerant to keep him (T'viy is a bit of a Tiax type)... and maybe Denjelion, but as long as you mind your own business, Denjelion wouldn't mind doing all sorts of stuff.

I am unsure if there is any composition I would encourage :) I would say my and the Artisan's NPC work a bit better together than with those from IWD NPC Project, but that's probably mostly because IWD NPC Project companions feel as if they should always stay together? It feels weird picking just some of them... but well, that's still an option.
    Oh yes, I agree. I should have clarified - I've played the NPC project a couple of times before and want to try out some of the new NPCs this time around. I'm just suffering from the usual analysis paralysis trying to decide which of them I should pick. It seems that L'Anna is well-integrated into the story, so I'll take her for sure. Dusky too, probably, because he has the most content. Anyone else who would work particularly well with them?
    I suppose you should take a look here and see who they talk with :)
    https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/npcs/crossmod_iwd/

I suppose L'anna has more talks with Orra, but while I like her, I think Ina is somehow closer to my heart. While Urchin doesn't have tons of talks, I also like him. But there are also Aion's (Artisan's) companions you may want to check. There are two of them, but hopefully, there will be more of them at some point.
  • smhippysmhippy Member Posts: 4
    I downloaded two mods "below and below inn" and "terror of the skinwalker" and got the same virus on both ( win64/heur.generic.H8oAe5UA ), luckily 360 total security alerted me and removed both fills.

What is going on here @LavaDelVortel ? I really wanna believe you're not a bad person, but this doesn't look good.
    edited February 17
    False positive I guess? I think people would have noticed if I tried to scam or use them during the last 14 years of my modding activity.

Besides, the Skineater hasn't been updated for almost a year now. I think that if it was harmful in the latest package, there would be some posts here, in the mod's thread, or on my own forum, right?
  • UlkeshUlkesh Member Posts: 209
    I plaud you for answering these kind of posts.
    edited February 17
    Those are of course some good points, thanks, I will sleep on it and maybe try again.

And please understand that my feeling of betrayal was double so as it seemed to be caused by someone that loves something I love, that is why I had the need to ask about it here.

I know that a lot of time and love goes into these kinda mods, and have used mods for BG before that might be yours, you have my thanks for all of these things!
    If that is going to calm you: I have no intention of doing any harm to you and your game. I've been creating these mods for years and I think I already built somewhat of a reputation. Sure, there are always chances of malicious programs on the Internet, but I haven't experienced these for MANY YEARS now, so I believe it should be safe to use those and I would never consciously try to harm you or your data. It's mostly why I also try to fix all bugs in my mods - because I want your game to be playable and fun. You will also find me on all BG modding sites, so it's not like there are no traces of me here and there :)

I think most of us experience false positives every now and then. I noticed that in some situations .exe files make some security programs go crazy - WeiDU and oggdec (decoders that change ogg files into wav files) are also executables that modify other programs (because upon installation WeiDU updates your game files with new content) and oggdec modifies existing ogg files to turn them into a different format. I wouldn't be surprised if every now and then security programs were "scared" of those, and these tools are just things mods use.

In the end, these are just my words, I get it, and it's up to you to decide if it's ok to play these mods. If it's going to torture you, just skip them, these things are to provide you with fun and joy, not sleepless nights :)
    Thanks for your reply and don't worry, fun and joy will be had :)
    Maybe you should pin a link to @xiaoleiwen 's excellent reviews in the first post here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/81825/reviews-for-npc-and-quest-mods-for-my-2021-iwdee-playthrough

I'm sure they'd be helpful to a lot of new players.
  • mnmansteinmnmanstein Member Posts: 17
    Ok. This question I am sure has already been asked, but I did not see it, so I will ask anyway. Can this mod be loaded up into an existing game, or do I need to start a new game?
    These are many mods, not one, and you will need to start a new game for most of them, especially the quests.
  • mnmansteinmnmanstein Member Posts: 17
    10-4. Thanks!