Skip to content

[mod] Tangled Oak Isle

Comments

• LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,702
    Well, it's an unusual item. Some Mages may like it. It shouldn't be too boring.
  • MornagestMornagest Member Posts: 15
    Hi Lava,

Speaking of this quest, I've found a little mismatch about the cosmic amulet.
    its description tells us it gives a +2 bonus for both wisdom and intelligence, but when I equipped Viconia with it, she "only" has the intelligence bonus. Is it a bug or an error ?

I enjoyed this mod, really. Many interesting dialogues, not too easy quests to achieve, and the Tangled Oak Isle has an interesting story !

Congrats for all your work, Lava :smile:
    Thanks! Will take a look at it once I'm back to working on some updates :)
    Cheers!
  • MornagestMornagest Member Posts: 15
    FYI, I contacted Deratiseur for a possible update of the French translation as I saw some mistakes. I would like to make a review for the full Athkatlan Grounds serie if he's ok :smile:
  • Karl_FranzKarl_Franz Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2020
    hey,lava,i encounterd some problem when i play through this mod tho, when i finish the main quest on this isles,
    i got a quest where need me to find out who killed poor garu, i did find it, but when i talk to the npc, it didn't progress, now i just stuckd where infinity talk to the murdurer. :'(
    Post edited by Karl_Franz on
    I think I may need a bit more info. Could you write in points (and please, use the spoiler tag to prevent spoiling the quest to others) what exactly you did since
    you met the entity below the isle
    ?

Also, it would be great if you could give me value of the variable. Open the console ( https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/appendices/clua/bgee.htm ) and use this code:
    C:GetGlobal("L#NIWhoKilled","GLOBAL")

Cheers
  • Karl_FranzKarl_Franz Member Posts: 7
    sry,bro, first time using the beamdog fourm :'( edited the last post. The code works, this quest undone and lay in the quest note bothers me for weeks, my quest hunt OCD are now finally over. thx Lava, man,u are the legend. <3 but i do have a quick question to ask,how do u find the code that solve the issues? what is means by those 1~99 numbers behind the code?
    A bit weird, because we haven't set anything yet, but... if everything works fine for you.

Usually you set varibable for anything that's happening in game, so I simply know where too look for when something happens, because I wrote all of those dialogues and scripts. You usually can see those numbers in scripts and dialogues, but I usually don't need to look for those for a long time, because I remember most stuff (or at least order of some talks / in-game happenings).
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Superb mod, as always! I thank you very much for the quality of your little mods. They bring newfound joy and adventure to an old game.

And I also thank you that you make sure your mods are compatible with non-ee game as well. I have a mega mod installation of non-ee bg2 that is more than ten years old. It has many many mods and even some conflicting ones, and I painstakingly solved conflicts and bugs as they appeared. I use the tools like dltcep, I also have my own custom spells, kits, items, etc. I make the game in my own image by changing gui parts, even!

And your mod is installed flawlessly on top of such a beautiful abomination of a game like mine. Only, the angry guy who demands a box in the Bridge district crashed my game. I checked the area for addition and only that guy was new. I checked his cre file via dltcep and it had a wrong animation assigned, I changed it to human male fighter and it worked flawlessly. This had happened with some other mods too. I am not sure if it happens in vanilla non-ee bg2, my game is like a beautiful abomination like I said. And I LOVE it that way!

Big fan of your work!
    Thank you!
    I checked his cre file via dltcep and it had a wrong animation assigned, I changed it to human male fighter and it worked flawlessly.

Hmmm, good to know. Will need to check that cre!

Cheers!
  • ensbanaensbana Member Posts: 80
    Love the mod so far. Got a couple questions here.
    1. In the cave near the warehouse, I tried several spells to dispel the illusion (Clairvoyance, Oracle, Detect Illusion, Remove Magic, Dispel Magic), but none of them worked :(. Am I not using the correct spell or is this possibly a bug?
    2. What am I supposed to do with the golem that is married to the girl? I tried to turn it into a person by using Stone to Flesh, but that doesn’t seem to work. So I guess that’s not the way to go?
    So:
    1. In the cave near the warehouse, I tried several spells to dispel the illusion (Clairvoyance, Oracle, Detect Illusion, Remove Magic, Dispel Magic), but none of them worked :(. Am I not using the correct spell or is this possibly a bug?
    I think Finn mentioned that you should reveal illusion with a fireball but Detect Illusion / True Sight should work as well. Remember that you need to hit a specific place - there is a huge boulder in the eastern part of the cave (go up and turn right when you're in the cave). There was a situation when one player had problems with that, but I never managed to reproduce the bug, I have no idea why it wouldn't work on his version.
    2. What am I supposed to do with the golem that is married to the girl? I tried to turn it into a person by using Stone to Flesh, but that doesn’t seem to work. So I guess that’s not the way to go?
    There are two ways of solving this, IIRC - you can free her by destroying the golem (when you talk to it, you may discover a crack or something and then use it to kill it), or with high... charisma, I think, you may convince her that he isn't really harmful and then she will try to get used to it. Try talking to her with people that have hight chr/int/wis. I think it was charisma, but I may be wrong.

Cheers! :)
    So:
    I think Finn mentioned that you should reveal illusion with a fireball but Detect Illusion / True Sight should work as well. Remember that you need to hit a specific place - there is a huge boulder in the eastern part of the cave (go up and turn right when you're in the cave). There was a situation when one player had problems with that, but I never managed to reproduce the bug, I have no idea why it wouldn't work on his version.
    There are two ways of solving this, IIRC - you can free her by destroying the golem (when you talk to it, you may discover a crack or something and then use it to kill it), or with high... charisma, I think, you may convince her that he isn't really harmful and then she will try to get used to it. Try talking to her with people that have hight chr/int/wis. I think it was charisma, but I may be wrong.

Cheers! :)

Thanks. I will try out those methods.
    As for the golem, I actually saw the message about the crack, but I’m afraid I might accidentally kill the golem if I put the dagger in it, as suggested. I will see what happens.
    As for the golem, I actually saw the message about the crack, but I’m afraid I might accidentally kill the golem if I put the dagger in it, as suggested. I will see what happens.
    That is what's going to happen. He's gonna die.
    The other route requires 15 Charisma. You pick "I believe you should try to live with it." and then there will be an option where you may say that he doesn't want any intimacy and just wants to protect her. That will make them talk.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I don't know if this is universal, or just something with my installs, but its seems like fireball has been the only spell that works on the illusion every time I've played through.
    Update: none of the spells seems to work :(
    Follow the path of these posts:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1147622/#Comment_1147622

There are all kind of questions, some people forget to talk to Mr Dog, etc. Also there is the question of what is to what value variable I mention later is set.
  • Lysan_LurraxolLysan_Lurraxol Member Posts: 8
    Have been getting this error on a new install of BG2 EE

[./override/L#NI18.are] loaded, 1744 bytes
    ERROR: No translation provided for @5000
    ERROR: [L#NI18.are] -> [override/L#NI18.are] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
    Stopping installation because of error.
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [The Tangled Oak Isle: the new area of Athkatla -> Yes, but don't patch existing save games], rolling back to previous state
    Unable to Unlink [TangledIsle/backup/0/OTHER.0]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "TangledIsle/backup/0/OTHER.0")
    [TangledIsle/backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found

Attaching my weidu log in case it's helpful!
  • Lysan_LurraxolLysan_Lurraxol Member Posts: 8
    Deleting & reinstalling all files for Tangled isle fixed the problem however!
    Oh! Hi, @Lysan_Lurraxol :) It's been a while!
    Well, I'm not sure what caused the problem. I'm glad it's gone, though!
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    I finished the book club and defeated the Illithid. I got the necklace and it says it should provide a +2INT and a +2WIS, but I get a +4INT only.
    [spoiler/]
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    Hello @LavaDelVortel there was a CTD on an BGT install when trying to enter the pub. Error message:
    An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 7641
    Programmer says: c:\games\black isle\bgii -
    sva\cd2\DATA\AREA070B.BIFF: attempted to use compressed BIF from
    CD, check free hard drive space
    The player is on BGT with Generalized Biffing. So far he had no other problems with any of your mod areas.
    @jastey - sadly, I never learned how to deal with those biffing problems on the old games. I know something like that happened to another player and here's how he fixed it:
    https://www.weaselmods.net/showthread.php?tid=589

Sorry, I'm not sure I can help more with this problem. I don't even have the old versions and those biff errors seem to just... happen, never saw any pattern in here, the other player had the problem with a different area.

To calm down the player: there is just one quest that happens there and it's not the main one. If that brings any comfort...
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    @LavaDelVortel thank you for the quick answer! The player reported now that he had the same problem for an area inserted from The Darkest Day. so it might be a local problem.
    The only thing you could consider is whether all ambeints etc. used in the areas are also copied into the override - the old engine is very sensitive with regard to this but you probably know this and already do so.
    I think I already did that for most "copied" areas. Will make sure when working on a new version :) Cheers!
  • shadowlichshadowlich Member Posts: 51
    edited January 2021
    WRONG alert was fixed
  • hippofanthippofant Member Posts: 35
    Playing the main quest. The quest broke at global variable 18, because I had previously explored the cave already and opened the door, since it started unlocked. Since the open version of the door has no bounding box (coordinates are all -1), it basically disappears off the map and as a result, its vision-based triggers stop working.

I do see that L#NISCR is supposed to unlock the door, but you might have flagged the door incorrectly, because it starts unlocked and located. (As of 2.02, downloaded from your website.)
    Weird, but I am not sure if I can fix that alone, as there are tiny parts another modder helped me with so I would like to consult him before changing anything.

Until then, just... perhaps go with the quest's usual order, people, and explore it when the story leads you there. I never had a similar bugs, but Tangled Oak uses some ideas that I never tried before.

But I dare to say there's a small chance to mess things unless you know what happens there and do it too soon. Still, worth additional investigation.

Cheers
  • hippofanthippofant Member Posts: 35
    Based on the scripting, I'm *pretty* sure the door is supposed to be locked. The door's script triggers when you get close to it and activates the hidden creature. The hidden creature's script then unlocks the door when it's discovered or hit with fire.

For me, the problem was that since the door was unlocked, I could open it at the start. That causes the door to disappear off the map, and so I could never get "close" to it. Personally, I fixed it by giving the open door some coordinates on the map, but I don't think that's the intent, since it's not a real door. Also, the fact that it's immediately visible also seems unintended, if the whole thing is supposed to be a secret.
  • ArianorrArianorr Member Posts: 15
    Hi LavaDelVortel, thank you for another exciting mod! Please, just if you can help me with one problem, because Im stuck now in this: the merchant I have to find in the promenade, which one it is? It is Quataris? Because I have no longer him in this area after I finished some of your others mods, so if it is him, can you give me cluaconsile for him please?