Skip to content

[MOD] The Gorgon’s Eye (Thieves Guild in Beregost)

123457»

Comments

• docbearddocbeard Member Posts: 10
    In 4.1, while running EET, I get a crash when leaving the Black Market (I'd guess because of the different area names while leaving). I think I tracked it to the 'h_ravcut' script and changing the references from 'AR0153' to 'BG0153' in h_ravcut.bcs seems to let me leave without crashing.

On a brighter note, I have to say I'm really enjoying the new questlines. Everything feels a lot more complicated and elaborate in a very good way.
  • Skull_BearerSkull_Bearer Member Posts: 71
    Does Danika no longer sell the compendium tomes? I only get the generic dialogue with her now.
  • TotalMilk9TotalMilk9 Member Posts: 78
    docbeard wrote: »
    In 4.1, while running EET, I get a crash when leaving the Black Market (I'd guess because of the different area names while leaving). I think I tracked it to the 'h_ravcut' script and changing the references from 'AR0153' to 'BG0153' in h_ravcut.bcs seems to let me leave without crashing.

Thanks for finding that, I haven't done much EET testing. I actually don't know how to fix that to make it work for both BG:EE and EET, but I will look into it.
    docbeard wrote: »
    IOn a brighter note, I have to say I'm really enjoying the new questlines. Everything feels a lot more complicated and elaborate in a very good way.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it! I had a lot of fun making them now that I have a better understanding of how to do more intricate things.
    Does Danika no longer sell the compendium tomes? I only get the generic dialogue with her now.

Yeah, she doesn't sell them anymore. They were moved to Naga who is in the black market area accessible from the Baldur's Gate thieves guild.
  • Skull_BearerSkull_Bearer Member Posts: 71
    Ah I see, thank you. One bug I found was that when I talked to Saradin about joining Mask, he just keeps giving me the first task (the tenets of Mask) and I can't progress.
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    Desperately trying to find Alaric. I've got the hints, but still not making any real headway in finding him. Am I missing an obvious clue?
    Ah I see, thank you. One bug I found was that when I talked to Saradin about joining Mask, he just keeps giving me the first task (the tenets of Mask) and I can't progress.

Oh whoops thanks for finding that issue. That’s actually the only quest he gives right now. It’s just a side thing I was working on, I’m not exactly sure where I’m going with it yet, but I do have some vague plans to extend it in the future.
    Desperately trying to find Alaric. I've got the hints, but still not making any real headway in finding him. Am I missing an obvious clue?
    He is in the central marketplace area of BG, inside the northwest house with all the chickens in it.

• masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    Having a lot of fun- currently the combination with Olvyn's Epic Thieving and this mod is getting me ever closer to acquiring all of the high value items added by the mod.
    Having a lot of fun- currently the combination with Olvyn's Epic Thieving and this mod is getting me ever closer to acquiring all of the high value items added by the mod.

Awesome, glad you’re enjoying it!
  • ZoltanavrZoltanavr Member Posts: 43
    Hi TotalMilk9! I just started your updated mod questline in my playthrough. As I see there is a lot of nice changes and additions in v4+. I’m curious if there is content for good-aligned character to side with City Watch to fight the guild? And if yes, how is it comparable in terms of amounts of quests, etc?

P.S. your mod is one of the best written mod I’ve played. Really great.

P.S.S. During 1st quest for getting a gem from merchant, his bodyguards attacked Illasera from Black Hearts, while my thief was invisible 😂. Is is supposed to be like this? 🤔
    Zoltanavr wrote: »
    Hi TotalMilk9! I just started your updated mod questline in my playthrough. As I see there is a lot of nice changes and additions in v4+. I’m curious if there is content for good-aligned character to side with City Watch to fight the guild? And if yes, how is it comparable in terms of amounts of quests, etc?

P.S.S. During 1st quest for getting a gem from merchant, his bodyguards attacked Illasera from Black Hearts, while my thief was invisible 😂. Is is supposed to be like this? 🤔

Thanks dude, I appreciate that!

There's no questline associated with joining the City Watch, although now I'm tempted to make one. I'd have to find a way to block access to the guild hideout which I'm clueless about. If I could figure that out then I could create a whole campaign where you protect the streets, gain intel on the guild and have encounters with the guild members. That would be really cool but as of right now all you can do is speak with the Commander after you've completed the second quest from Rigaldo involving Gerard. Tell her you have infiltrated the guild and then you can join her in attacking and killing them all in the den. Nothing big, just an option if you dislike the guild's quests.

I'm not sure why they would attack her. Were the guards hostile towards you? Illasera could have a script where she attacks hostile creatures and that could have caused them to fight.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Looks great!
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 880
    edited January 19
    So I couldn't resist playing through the new version and think it's great. :)

However, I've run into a pretty significant problem:
    After defeating Baldwin and accepting the leadership of the Guild, Saradin meets me in the manor house for a brief chat. He tells me that he'll meet me back in the Guildhouse for further discussion and then walks away. But when I return to the Guildhouse, he's nowhere to be found. Everyone else recognizes me as the new Guildmaster, except Danika, who says nothing at all (no dialogue comes up).

Also, a far less important problem:
    The last riddle in the third set from Zeda seems to have a bug. I think that the correct answer is "wind" but Zeda claims that it is "a joke" -- which makes no sense (as far as I can tell) and also isn't an option for the PC to select.

Finally, I thought I would mention this issue:
    My shadowdancer hid during the fake Inspector Branic's speech. He then backstabbed him and immediately hid again. The real inspector appeared but did not initiate any dialogue, presumably because no characters where visible to him. My character offed him with no problem. So both the fake and real inspectors were eliminated in short order. Shortly afterwards, I realized that the story probably wasn't proceeding properly, so I went back to an earlier save, became visible for the real inspector, and went from there.

Overall, I'm amazed at how great this mod is. There's so much added! And the writing is top notch. Kudos!
    Okay, I played through part of the mod again and didn't encounter the first problem mentioned in my previous post.
    I reloaded to a saved game before leaving Nashkel (after delivering the black lotus and defeating the Shadow Thieves) and played through the sequence of events again -- encountering the Snake Head, delivering the message to Baldwin, etc.
    This time, I did not haste my party before the final battle (in which Baldwin transforms into a giant snake). I also selected a different option in the dialogue with Saradin (option "1" instead of "2").
    When I returned to the Guild, Saradin was there, and I could speak with Danika as usual.
    Huh!

Happy to now be the new Guildmaster of the Gorgon's Eye. B)
    TotalMilk9 wrote: »
    Zoltanavr wrote: »

Thanks dude, I appreciate that!

There's no questline associated with joining the City Watch, although now I'm tempted to make one. I'd have to find a way to block access to the guild hideout which I'm clueless about. If I could figure that out then I could create a whole campaign where you protect the streets, gain intel on the guild and have encounters with the guild members. That would be really cool but as of right now all you can do is speak with the Commander after you've completed the second quest from Rigaldo involving Gerard. Tell her you have infiltrated the guild and then you can join her in attacking and killing them all in the den. Nothing big, just an option if you dislike the guild's quests.

I'm not sure why they would attack her. Were the guards hostile towards you? Illasera could have a script where she attacks hostile creatures and that could have caused them to fight.

Do you have an issue to block access to the guild hideout technically or story-wise? I was thinking on your post and I think that possible solution could be the following: in Lava’s Shades of the Sword Coast mod there is a quest “ Circle of Interest”, where you have to find 4 different hideouts. The hideouts are become accessible only if your main character wears a special ring, which is given to you by a quest giver. So back to your mod: there could be a couple of scripted events in Beregost once your party arrive to the city. For example you saw a fight in lower left corner of the map where is a kind of park between City Watch and the Guild members. Depending on actions of your character ( side with the guild, side with the Watch, do nothing), some other events could occur. If you side with the guild, then one of the guild member could contact you in a tavern or on streets to allow your to make some initial trial tasks. Once they are successfully completed and you become the lowest rank guild member, you will be given a special ring which allow you to enter the guild hideout and then all of the guild content should happen. As to City Watch line - the access to the hideout is blocked for them and sided with them party as they do not have a special ring which grants access.
    Well, I kept playing and the problem that I mentioned earlier reappeared:
    When I returned after 7 days to collect my profits, Saradin had disappeared (this is after I had given him instructions for the various divisions within the guild). I consoled him into the room -- he flickered for a moment and then disappeared. So I paused the game and then consoled him in again. I had my PC talk to him before he could disappear. The conversation seemed to reflect that 7 days had passed -- he told me that I would receive 1000 gp and asked me if I wanted to change the assignments. Then, as soon as the conversation ended, he disappeared again. I didn't receive the money, but just consoled the amount into my party's purse. I guess I'll just have to do this every 7 days in the future -- it seems that Saradin, when he is there, is aware of how much time has passed, the risk levels for the different groups in the guild, etc. But he just disappears after a fraction of a second.

Danika also went silent again, but that's less important (I already had all the conversations with her, I think, and she doesn't provide any services in the updated version).

Another small problem:
    It's impossible to get Rhade to build the hooded cowl. After his line of dialogue about the cowl ("I could combine the Helmet of Infravision...") he immediately switches to talking about Looter's Band ("I can combine the Ring of Minor Lockpickiing..."). I already had him create the Looter's Band successfully.

These are very minor things, obviously, and appear after the bulk of the quest is over. The mod is great fun and I'll definitely use it the next time I play through the series. B)
    @Thrasymachus

Thanks for letting me know of all these issues I missed.

It looks like having Rhade begin working on the Kerykeion piece gives a variable for some reason that would make Saradin disappear. I bet the one time it worked for you was because you didn't give the piece to Rhade yet before going to Saradin, and then when you issued guild commands you went to Rhade after which made Saradin disappear again. I just removed the variable locally and it seems to have fixed it without any unintended consequences, but I plan on redoing his whole dialog file anyway for the next release, it's one of the only major ones I didn't change in the last update.

For the hooded cowl - He says the line about the Looter's Band, but if you agree he will actually still make the Cowl. It looks like I just copied over the wrong line when I was working on it.

The riddle's answer was "A clock." The joke answer was supposed to be for the previous riddle, but I put it for both on accident and didn't notice.

For the Inspector quest - Yeah the quest does make it sound like you should do exactly what you did, which is to sneak in and kill him without him seeing you. But the quest is actually intended for him to see you or at least begin his dialog when you are near, regardless of being in stealth or not. I'll change the wording and scripting to make it less confusing.

All of these will be fixed/updated for the next release, thanks again for finding these bugs, and I'm happy you like the mod overall!
    @Zoltanavr

The issue I have is technical, but thanks for the recommendation, I'll check out Lava's mod and see how he does it. Initially I always wanted a pre-requisite to being able to enter the guild hideout anyway, even before the City Watch, so that would be nice to figure out.

I really like the idea having an initial encounter seeing the guild vs the city watch and then choosing how you want to intervene. But I'd have to do a lot of back tracking and remove/redo a lot of opening dialog and things in the guild, so I'd probably have to go a different route with it. I have some ideas, but right now my main focus is working on the NPC's so I'm not sure when I'll actually have time to work on that part.
    @TotalMilk9

Please keep us informed on further development of the mode. I hope one day my LG Cavalier will help to City Watch do eliminate the guild)) Meanwhile my evil elvish FMT is going to take lead in the guild))

Thanks for the great mod!
    Small update to v4.4 with some bug fixes.
    -Fixed quest resolution bug in "Diamond in the Rough" if you got caught but did not kill the guards
    -Fixed quest resolution bug in "Shadows and Echoes" if you brought Valera back to the guild
    -Fixed EET crash inside the Jovial Juggler during "Shrouded Alliances"
    -Fixed a bug in Saradin's dialog that made his quest repeatable
    -Fixed issues with Lord Varlind's bounty concerning reward and dialog options
    -Fixed incorrect journal entry for "Shadows of Knowledge"
    -Fixed double reward for completing Isla's bounty
    -Fixed wrong dialog lines being used for Rhade and Zeda
    -Removed hidden reputation loss when killing members of the City Watch
    -Added more reputation loss during Ariosh's questline
    -Fixed typos

Still in progress:

2 joinable NPCs
    New questline from Saradin
    Separate questline for joining the City Watch (maybe)
    New Kerykeion weapons
    Several random smaller tweaks/enhancements
  • UlkeshUlkesh Member Posts: 211
    edited February 16
    Thanks that you keep pumping content. I have played the first iteration (before the rework) and it was already a very cool mod that I would recommend (highlights were the exchange with the blue haired guy and the bounty quests that were meaningful and not "stupid" - the driad/nymph_/person that was on the verge of death is the one I liked the most) .

I hope to re-play this mod soon.
    @Ulkesh I appreciate the support, thank you!
  • effingduckeffingduck Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for all your work. Is it possible to make portraits optional for your next update? I don't use NPC portrait mods so all these character portraits become kind of jarring.
  • Dalmir_The_DarkDalmir_The_Dark Member Posts: 53
    I'm just trying this mod out for the very first time and I really love what you've done. The vibe of the guild is great - everything from the area music to the dialogues to the overall air of secrecy. This is literally the most thieves guild feeling thieves guild out of all of the thieves guilds in the entire Baldur's Gate series, and it's a mod! Very well done. I can't imagine playing through BGEE without The Gorgon's Eye in any of my future playthroughs.
  • TizTTizT Member Posts: 12

Hello!

I am playing the quest and i am stuck, valera doesn't seem to spawn where she should? by the fountain in the south? i did drop the note in the right barrel and got the journal update...
    TizT wrote: »

Hello!

I am playing the quest and i am stuck, valera doesn't seem to spawn where she should? by the fountain in the south? i did drop the note in the right barrel and got the journal update...

Hello, sorry for the late response.

She only spawns at night and only if the letter is still in the barrel. However, I just found a typo in her script that may be causing this issue even if both of those requirements are met. If you're still stuck on this quest try entering this code during the daytime:
    SetGlobal("h_SpawnVelera","GLOBAL",1)

Wait until night time on that same day and she should be there. Sorry for the trouble, and hope this helps!
    effingduck wrote: »
    Thanks for all your work. Is it possible to make portraits optional for your next update? I don't use NPC portrait mods so all these character portraits become kind of jarring.

Yes, I can understand your perspective on that and I think it's a good idea to add that as an option. Thanks for the feedback!
    I'm just trying this mod out for the very first time and I really love what you've done. The vibe of the guild is great - everything from the area music to the dialogues to the overall air of secrecy. This is literally the most thieves guild feeling thieves guild out of all of the thieves guilds in the entire Baldur's Gate series, and it's a mod! Very well done. I can't imagine playing through BGEE without The Gorgon's Eye in any of my future playthroughs.

Thank you! I'm a huge rogue/thieves guild enjoyer in any game, so I pretty much just made what I like. I really tried to blend together a typical thieves guild with a more darker and magical aspect. I currently have an outline for a questline from Saradin that involves the deity Mask - secret rituals, dark magic, and all that good stuff. I just haven't had the time or motivation to work on it lately, unfortunately.