What the hell is a Mary Sue?!
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    this video can also be used as a counterpoint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2-GIY9RTqU
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Thanks!
    something that has not been brought up and i think needs addressing is the fact she not only made an npc self insert that goes through the whole saga. but she also thought it would be best to make a whole new continuation of baldurs gate that focused on her npc thats set after tob.

now baldurs gate to me is a seires that ends with a nice bow. the fact she went and made not only basically a fan fiction to continue the story but there is also a prequel taking place during the times of troubles.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    I understand. I wish you the best of luck.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    I just wrapped up my BWS mod and had some bug issues but used control console and most of it worked great and had alot of mods! Still interested in trying the sandrah mod and dont mind it hijacks the BG story...kinda like the whole star wars saga with prequels and crap in between :smile:
  • Blackbeard_DanBlackbeard_Dan Member Posts: 5
    ok, so I just finished my bws install and i dont have sandrah in candelkeep for some reason. I have either missed accidentally or it failed and I overlooked it somehow, either way she is not here. My question is can i add the mod now after my bws install is complete or do I have to start over? I was looking forward to the sandrah saga so i kind of want it. thanks
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    Wow, this mod is massive.
    It was also one of the most varied, most polished mods for bg I´ve seen. No problems so far, even with all the megamods. I am impressed, all of this sure had tons of work. Not many mods have crossmod banters so some megamods lack some character interaction, but this fixes that.
    I play with a spanish dialog.tlk so the new content of Shandra is displayed in English and I assure you, it is huge in items, dialogs, creatures... ( I know I should have done an all-english install bc now the game looks like a reguetón song, happily without macho BS unless Coran and Fabio are in the screen).

It is refreshing playing the bg saga as Shandra's sidekick. I just hope she let my shy half-elf from Candlekeep some action because until now she seems to have taken all eligible male, female, binary, greygender, polygender, genderfluid and whatevergender(just add the other99) of the sword coast ( I feel you, Imoen) and my half-elf is starting to find some green slimes perturbingly attractive to the point my char and Gavin made some drafts to introduce some finer points of japanese manga culture in Faerun (offscreen because you know how purists react with tentacles and starbucks vases in wrong places).

Oh well, you have Gavin but, you know, It`s GAVIN. (If you like him you should put a ring on it). So now that Shandra exhausted all the sword coast, waterdeep, bonehill and surroundings my char maybe will have a shot with her (does not like sharing, unlike my previous orc, he was a kinky one) and can get laid before find Quayle in BG2, because that will be a new low, even for one of my chars.

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    It is refreshing playing the bg saga as Shandra's sidekick. I just hope she let my shy half-elf from Candlekeep some action because until now she seems to have taken all eligible male, female, binary, greygender, polygender, genderfluid and whatevergender(just add the other99) of the sword coast ( I feel you, Imoen) and my half-elf is starting to find some green slimes perturbingly attractive to the point my char and Gavin made some drafts to introduce some finer points of japanese manga culture in Faerun (offscreen because you know how purists react with tentacles and starbucks vases in wrong places).

Oh well, you have Gavin but, you know, It`s GAVIN. (If you like him you should put a ring on it). So now that Shandra exhausted all the sword coast, waterdeep, bonehill and surroundings my char maybe will have a shot with her (does not like sharing, unlike my previous orc, he was a kinky one) and can get laid before find Quayle in BG2, because that will be a new low, even for one of my chars.
    Is this seriously supposed to be a positive thing about the mod... wait, this isn't satire is it?
    i'm reading it as sarcasm.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Is Roxanne back?
    edited June 2019
    AionZ wrote: »

Is this seriously supposed to be a positive thing about the mod.

Actually, it is. Me and my better half find hilarious the fact that the entire sword coast is her three-country-sized harem playground. It seems she installed for herself the premium version of "Romantic encounters" unlike us or a date-sim BG conversion.
    Instead of looking for quests and rewards we seek playmates for Shandra to play with. And when talking to anyone who is not a gnoll usually she does, or did, or she is going to next time you talk to them.
    Only Tiax and Noober were an utter disappointment. It seems is Shandra who rules them all, not Tiax

The worst part is that my half-elf is going to die a virgin (because we are expecting that even the nympho-drow Phaere in bg2 is going to ditch my h-elf to take Shandra instead) but it is totally worth it. At least the foreveralone alliance, my char and Finch, can play a drinking game (every time some char swoon over her, we drink) and be blissfully drunk every night to keep depression at bay.

It’s like a wank fantasy except that you don’t even get to be the one enjoying it!

This mod is just so damn horrible beyond belief.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    Everytime Roxanne (in various alts) was confronted with the statement that Sandrah is sleeping with almost everyone she denied that this is true and said that it's not the design of the mod.

Everytime I hear a player report from playing the mod it comes down to "Sandrah is having *x with everyone we meet".
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,061
    edited June 2019
    I relate with this mod, personally.

When I was a teenager I would have done some of the exact same things! Write an epically length story? (Check, and did that In fact I still have it and have not published it, and never will). Make someone a self-insert? Check and did that. They were also, clearly loved by everyone, though did not sleep with anyone at all (Too conservative for that, it was PG at most), and simply won the heart of a clear crush who was inserted in the story. And friends were also inserted into the story.

Quite a few girls do this in those teen years, really, you can find these same elements in fanfiction and rarely other mods with varying levels of writing skills. The genres of interest don't always have many appealing female protagonists, so you make your own, and with no writing skill to balance them, they become "Mary Sue" like. You want the attention, so why not make some fake accounts to bring it in? Thus for me, the reasons for their actions and the mod make perfect sense...though it is still a bad mod by any objective standards! And when it comes to cross mod, they probably did not think they needed to ask for permission. With little understanding I could easily see myself making those mistakes in my younger years.

Anyway, for me personally it brings me back to my youth and how silly I was. I'm hopeful they'll actually make something far better in the future and leave this project with the history it has. There can never be enough creators.
    edited June 2019
    I concede your point that under normal circumstances those things are relatively forgivable. But it’s hard for me to sympathize when she goes and makes statements like this:

y7dyi5dh3p7c.png

It’s mainly the last part that I take issue with and I cut the part where I go on a tirade about that ridiculous statement. I can’t even comprehend what she’s trying to say here. New modders aren’t trying to be unique and are just copy-pasting? Unique with what, the code? Surely it’s the writing that matters when it’s an NPC mod we’re talking about?

Not to mention the borderline insulting comments made in the past such as saying Lava and I were the same person and our mods were basically all the same:
    Bleriot wrote: »
    You need to take the Lava (aka Artemius) mods in homoeopatic portions. As nice as they are, too many in the party at the same time makes you feel like a stranger in our own group while they start a life of their own. Since they all have the same *tone* you get confused who's talking after a time.
    Each of them taken at one time and mixed with other people's NPC is more enjoyable. otherwise it feels like just one person talks to you all the time.
    This was from one of the alts from some time ago, now banned.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Honestly, that is within his rights to be said and w/e. What I mean is, if anyone reads, he can make up his own mind and actually understand if he is in the right or the wrong.

Also, don't take it personally: what I mean is that it is certainly possible that she told that but didn't think that, just to give "personality" to her akas.

I find really really problematic that some forks she has in EEWS get stuff where he touched the content and actually added her own content into it, simply not abiding by the authors wishes.

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    @Skitia I see what you mean, but:
    The reason I hold a grudge is that Roxanne evidentially:
    -spread bad rumors about other(modder)s with those fake alts
    -coninued to spread tweaks concealed as "fixes" and crossmod material the original authors requested to be taken down
    -repeatedly gave the impression that she would oblidge to other modders' wishes, whilst just continuing from another place, with another alt, and finally with an own forum altogether.

I know that (some/most) players/people see the whole "Roxanne incident" as pure modder drama - jastey's (and others') wounded pride!!!11!! - but there is good reason a number of modders are not amused about the whole thing.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,355
    @AionZ and @jastey
    Not to worry. You dont need to justify your opinions on this forum - we all know you as helpfull and caring modders/caretakers.

Roxanne has been rightfully banned, and the vast and overwhelming majority of this forum have condemned the actions - the multiple accounts mostly but also the usage of mods without the authors accept being the major grievances.

So you dont not to justify your views. You have earned the right to fell the way you do by merit.
    Skitia wrote: »
    I relate with this mod, personally.

When I was a teenager I would have done some of the exact same things! Write an epically length story? (Check, and did that In fact I still have it and have not published it, and never will). Make someone a self-insert? Check and did that. They were also, clearly loved by everyone, though did not sleep with anyone at all (Too conservative for that, it was PG at most), and simply won the heart of a clear crush who was inserted in the story. And friends were also inserted into the story.

Quite a few girls do this in those teen years, really, you can find these same elements in fanfiction and rarely other mods with varying levels of writing skills. The genres of interest don't always have many appealing female protagonists, so you make your own, and with no writing skill to balance them, they become "Mary Sue" like. You want the attention, so why not make some fake accounts to bring it in? Thus for me, the reasons for their actions and the mod make perfect sense...though it is still a bad mod by any objective standards! And when it comes to cross mod, they probably did not think they needed to ask for permission. With little understanding I could easily see myself making those mistakes in my younger years.

Anyway, for me personally it brings me back to my youth and how silly I was. I'm hopeful they'll actually make something far better in the future and leave this project with the history it has. There can never be enough creators.
    This!

That was the entire fanfiction.com and half wattpad and they are still there ( as like thousands of pages like that in all countries, from wuxia novels to shinning vampire themes)

This a pity all this I am reading about, cause the mod itself was a good idea and tecnically impecable, In other circumstances could be the basis for new and improved projects. As @skitia said there can never be enough creators.
    edited June 2019
    AionZ wrote: »
    I concede your point that under normal circumstances those things are relatively forgivable. But it’s hard for me to sympathize when she goes and makes statements like this:

y7dyi5dh3p7c.png

It’s mainly the last part that I take issue with and I cut the part where I go on a tirade about that ridiculous statement. I can’t even comprehend what she’s trying to say here. New modders aren’t trying to be unique and are just copy-pasting? Unique with what, the code? Surely it’s the writing that matters when it’s an NPC mod we’re talking about?

Not to mention the borderline insulting comments made in the past such as saying Lava and I were the same person and our mods were basically all the same:
    Bleriot wrote: »
    You need to take the Lava (aka Artemius) mods in homoeopatic portions. As nice as they are, too many in the party at the same time makes you feel like a stranger in our own group while they start a life of their own. Since they all have the same *tone* you get confused who's talking after a time.
    Each of them taken at one time and mixed with other people's NPC is more enjoyable. otherwise it feels like just one person talks to you all the time.
    This was from one of the alts from some time ago, now banned.

even tho you have different writing styles. did it ever occur to her that your staying true to the style of the way the offfical npcs are written and that might be why they may feel the same to her?
    jastey wrote: »
    @Skitia I see what you mean, but:
    The reason I hold a grudge is that Roxanne evidentially:
    -spread bad rumors about other(modder)s with those fake alts
    -coninued to spread tweaks concealed as "fixes" and crossmod material the original authors requested to be taken down
    -repeatedly gave the impression that she would oblidge to other modders' wishes, whilst just continuing from another place, with another alt, and finally with an own forum altogether.

I know that (some/most) players/people see the whole "Roxanne incident" as pure modder drama - jastey's (and others') wounded pride!!!11!! - but there is good reason a number of modders are not amused about the whole thing.

it got to a point where even seeing her name being in an ascension update made me uneasy.
    If you just get rid of Shandra you do not actually need to uninstall all isnt it? , some Dynaheir and Viconia banter that gave you quest items so far. You suppose to give them to shandra ( as if) but the game seems to go on the same.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    CamDawg wrote: »
    Roxanne has been rightfully banned

In the interests of being technically correct (the best kind of correct), Roxanne is not banned anywhere. Her alts were banned here and at SHS (she didn't have any at G3 AFAICT) but she's still welcome to post as Roxanne.

Roxanne leaving to play on her own site and not participate anywhere else is her decision.

Not at this forum, though, as the Site Rules of this forum allow for only 1 account, and she had a few of them already.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    edited June 2019
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    If you just get rid of Shandra you do not actually need to uninstall all isnt it? , some Dynaheir and Viconia banter that gave you quest items so far. You suppose to give them to shandra ( as if) but the game seems to go on the same.

SAndrah, PsicoVic, no "h" there. And at least at some point mod allowed to ignore Sandrah (you could refuse to accept her into party) and play without her but with most of the horribly OP items that came from that mod or the others said mod combined.

So, if you are tired of the drinking games - simply ditch Mary Sue and keep the items.
    edited June 2019
    Mirandel wrote: »
    PsicoVic wrote: »

SAndrah, PsicoVic, no "h" there. And at least at some point mod allowed to ignore Sandrah (you could refuse to accept her into party) and play without her but with most of the horribly OP items that came from that mod or the others said mod combined.

So, if you are tired of the drinking games - simply ditch Mary Sue and keep the items.

Thanks. I was worried because I learned the hard way not to touch EET install much when you are finished.
    I do not use most of the items anyway, I just EEKeep myself some bag of holding and put all in there. Items are strangely described, full of material about how well fits your butt but no description of the stats whatsoever.
    Also found OP drops in hard fights even in chapter 3. Some fights dropped like 10 Varsconas+2 and ballestas+2 (like the fight after you rescue desertor Samuel) or rings of improved haste ... In BG1. But that was TDD or some other mod. I think is the one that teleports hobgoblin clerics and mages to your position when you are standing in the forest because why not. Oh well, at least I`ve got a backup bg2EE and bgee separate installation prior to BGEE
    Some recommended questmods are very cool. I liked bonehill, white queen and the Drizzt one. But I think they will fit better in BG2 or bg1 endgame, not in midgame chapters.
    Post edited by PsicoVic on
    edited June 2019
    PD: Just for the record, in the era post-Sandrah, My half-elf is now happily engaged to Gavin because the only man Sandrah-free of Faerun is "THE ONE"(TM) for me. She still does not get lucky at all because you know... Gavin, but at least she can sublimate her impulses smashing bandit`s heads for fun and scalps. And Finch got some DeTrainon´s balor ale so it is fine.

Could be worse. You could be Talanthyr. He needs at least two musty books taken from evil mages in sunken ruins just to get in the mood. Mmm... He and Finch could be a good match. Must tell Gavin to sit them together at the wedding.

Anyway, Imoen booked the Stag party in Ulgoth`s beard and got some vacation-package-weekend in Durlag tower with a premium discount.
    So, my half-elf went partying with the girls. Not all of them: Jaheira, Safana, and Dynaheir have some male friends that are too clingy but Alora and Branwen came. Also, Sharteel because it is nice to have a deadly swordmaster when you deal with those slimy lotharios that always appear at stag parties. Immy, of course, and Finch because Lathander knows she needs to go out more.

Immy almost got spanked when the group found exploding demons in Durlag`s tower instead of strippers, but then she called Mur`neth as a stripper because she knows about my half-elf`s slime fetish so she was forgiven.
    Never trust anyone with a rogue avatar.

Then they proceed to clear the dungeon to get musty books for Finch, target practice for Sharteel and Branwen and some opals for my half-elf and Imoen so they can introduce them in Mur´net thong.
    Got some wierd stares, but it is not a stag party if you are not embarrassing yourself and pinning your lil´sis pink innominables on top of a basilisk-infested tower.

Strangely Sandrah received the wrong address and now she is being sparkly and awesome while waiting in the demiplane of fire. Ups.

All is well when ends well.
    Post edited by PsicoVic on