Skip to content

Your Greatest Facepalm Moment?

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

@Permidion_Stark
    Any class that is even partially Fighter can wear helmets for future reference. It's only the types of weapons, armor and items you can use that are effected by multi-class

Shields are also like that. 1 level of fighter lets you use even the mightiest tower shield without effecting your magic or thief skills at all.
    AerakarPermidion_StarkProontlolien
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

@Permidion_Stark
    Any class that is even partially Fighter can wear helmets for future reference. It's only the types of weapons, armor and items you can use that are effected by multi-class

Shields are also like that. 1 level of fighter lets you use even the mightiest tower shield without effecting your magic or thief skills at all.
    I didn't know that either (considering I've been playing the game for about 20 years it is embarrassing how much I don't know). I won't be giving my character a shield though. I'm playing her as a knife-thrower and backstabber who only uses daggers and the idea of her skulking around trying to hide in the shadows behind a tower shield just seems silly.
    How about a bucler?
    Proont
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    ThacoBell said:

@Permidion_Stark

I didn't know that either (considering I've been playing the game for about 20 years it is embarrassing how much I don't know). I won't be giving my character a shield though. I'm playing her as a knife-thrower and backstabber who only uses daggers and the idea of her skulking around trying to hide in the shadows behind a tower shield just seems silly.
    How about a bucler?
    I might try one at some point but I have just put a second pip in two-weapon style so I might try a dagger in each hand instead.
    ThacoBellAerakarProont
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

I just died. Again. I've been soloing as a Fighter/Thief and got all the way to Cloakwood without any real problems. Then I came to the area where Faldorn and the druids are hanging out. I normally just walk straight through and go to the next area but this time I thought I would take a look around.

I wandered into the cave where Peter of the North is training the baby Wyverns and thought this should be an easy fight, I mean how hard can a baby wyvern be?

A lot harder than me is the answer.

Wyvern poison can kill the toughest charname.
    Permidion_StarkMontresor_SPThacoBell
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited August 2018

I swear by @subtledoctor 's Scales of Balance component that turns light crossbows into 1-handed weapons, allowing for the use of shields. Makes for a cool visual, and gives light crosbows a much needed boost against bows.

Thanks. I also think it meaningfully (tactically) distinguishes light crossbows from heavy ones (which tend to be superior in every other way). But, credit where credit's due, I only implemented it; the actual idea, and confirmation of its feasibility, came from that Chimera guy.
    So.. this applies to xbow of speed, right, since that's a light xbow IIRC? Hmm.. double APR in one hand? Hello blackguard spamming three bolts of acid/lightning + poison attack at level 7 before haste in BG1 :) or Blade using offensive spin and acid/lightning bolts for also 3 APR in BG1 while having a buckler, or 2 APR with defensive spin for ridiculous AC with still very good APR.

I don't mod, but now I am tempted :) I would also try eekeeper to force add a xbow in each hand, just to see what would happen. Using an Archer and called shot. I try to do that with a dagger kensai but the offhand kept attacking in melee even with a force-added throwing dagger in the offhand. I don't understand the background mechanics, so it's probably hardcoded someway so it can't be done. Would be worth testing just for shits and giggles though.

Edit: a wet dream of mine has always been to have a char dual wield throwing weapons, a dwarf using two throwing axes or similar. I still have fond memories of the old babajongs in DII doing that.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    edited August 2018
    Skatan said:

I swear by @subtledoctor 's Scales of Balance component that turns light crossbows into 1-handed weapons, allowing for the use of shields. Makes for a cool visual, and gives light crosbows a much needed boost against bows.

Thanks. I also think it meaningfully (tactically) distinguishes light crossbows from heavy ones (which tend to be superior in every other way). But, credit where credit's due, I only implemented it; the actual idea, and confirmation of its feasibility, came from that Chimera guy.
    So.. this applies to xbow of speed, right, since that's a light xbow IIRC? Hmm.. double APR in one hand? Hello blackguard spamming three bolts of acid/lightning + poison attack at level 7 before haste in BG1 :) or Blade using offensive spin and acid/lightning bolts for also 3 APR in BG1 while having a buckler, or 2 APR with defensive spin for ridiculous AC with still very good APR.

I don't mod, but now I am tempted :) I would also try eekeeper to force add a xbow in each hand, just to see what would happen. Using an Archer and called shot. I try to do that with a dagger kensai but the offhand kept attacking in melee even with a force-added throwing dagger in the offhand. I don't understand the background mechanics, so it's probably hardcoded someway so it can't be done. Would be worth testing just for shits and giggles though.

Edit: a wet dream of mine has always been to have a char dual wield throwing weapons, a dwarf using two throwing axes or similar. I still have fond memories of the old babajongs in DII doing that.
    Can't help it but thinking about Kore the Paladin:

AerakarSkatanProont
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i swear there is something about candle keep and me breaking swords. i barly did anything and my long sword broke.
    ThacoBellProont
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Dordledum said:

i swear there is something about candle keep and me breaking swords. i barly did anything and my long sword broke.

I broke Hull's longsword once. He's already annoyed if you equip it, but now I couldn't finish the quest. Which is really bad for OCD.
    Does Hull comment if you are using his sword? I've never done it and I like the idea of finding a way to torment him in his hungover state.
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    edited August 2018
    Ah, like the free dagger+1 you get with CHA 18 for delivering some crossbow bolts.
    Montresor_SPThacoBellProontlolien
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

If you play the mod "Romantic Encounters", Hull gives you his sword.

(yeah, yeah, not just "that one" but the one you fetch for him as well) :D

BelgarathMTHtbone1
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @ZaramMaldovar I still do end up doing that almost every time I do the island. You'd think I'd learn.
    ZaramMaldovarProont
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Here's another example:
    I used to just fight all the Shadows at the temple instead of using the mirror. Did not notice that was a thing until about the 3rd time I did that quest. Looking back I have no idea how I survived that because now I have trouble even if I use the mirror.

Maybe the slight improvements in AI made by the Quest Pack really do amount to something other than making Spiders less of a breeze in BG2 (Seriously, Spiders were hell in BG1 but so easy in BG2)
    Montresor_SPProontfluke13lolien