Skip to content

Wild Surge Issue 11 - The Magic Issue

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

Issue: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rmgJ2uBMt4LwPIPPQCf4cZnd7f5edyKv

Wild Surge Issue 11 - The Magic Issue

Magic is in the air! In this highly enchanted issue we have a guide to soloing IWD:EE with a Dragon Disciple, an interview with Mark Burton about his magical supplements to 5e. We visit Ravnica and its powerful Planeswalkers. We see how different magic can be from one world to the next in literature. And our resident lich is confronted by an incredibly important question. @Fandraxx returns with a review of the album " Twilight Force’s Heroes of Mighty Magic" and @typo_tilly gives us an in-depth review of the game "Sacrifice".

So do you believe in magic?

Thanks for reading!

Thank you @Anduin, @ashafetov, @deltago, @Fandraxx, @LordRumfish, @Nonnahswriter, @Rik_Kirtaniya and @typo_tilly for the great articles!

Want more Surge? Support us through Patreon, Join us on Discord, follow us on Twitter, buy our Swag and visit us at WildSurge.ca
JuliusBorisovlefreutStefanOArctodusRik_Kirtaniyadeltago[Deleted User]NonnahswriterelminsterThacoBellGusindakanisathaashafetovLordRumfishFandraxxAerakarlroumenAnduinlolien

Comments

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Incertus... Pulchra... Imperio!

:cookie:s rain down on the Forums.
    mlneveseashafetovAnduin
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I'm starting to think @Nimran is providing the prizes :)
    deltagoRik_KirtaniyaAnduin
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    @O_Bruce said:

Good to hear you guys ares till going strong :)

We can always use your help again if your interested! I always loved your art style.
    Rik_KirtaniyaAnduinashafetov
    edited September 2018
    deltago said:

Oh, and the first person to find an Easter Egg in this issue gets a :cookie:

So well, anyone found out the egg yet? ;)
    Anduinashafetov
    That goes for writers too... I didn’t tell anyone what I put in or where I put it, even Tilly.

If I recall correctly there are 8 in total.
    Rik_KirtaniyamlneveseAnduin
    I only know of the one which you made on my request... ;)

So the question is, do I get a cookie? ;)
    Anduin
    No. That isn’t an Easter egg, it’s labeled click here.
    mlneveseRik_KirtaniyaAnduin
    It's not the easter egg. The easter eggs are clickable and take you on a magical journey.
    ThacoBellmlneveselolien
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Noooooooo! Denied!

*Anduin continues search.*
    Rik_Kirtaniya
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I think I found 2. I got a poster and a visit from the "magic man" ;)
    Rik_KirtaniyaAnduin
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2018
    If I use Adobe Acrobat to list the links is it cheating? :)
    ThacoBellAnduinlolien
    The poster isn't one. However, the visit from the magic man is! Cookie for @thacobell. (There are two more on the page that you found the magic man)
    ThacoBellAnduin
    edited September 2018
    I have been doing my investigation by randomly tapping on the mobile screen. So far, I've found these:

1. Pg-3 : Heading: Do You Believe In Magic?

2. Pg-27: Heading: A Kind of Magic

3. Pg-29: Subheading: A Review of Magic of Faerun Campaign Accessory

4. Pg-43: Box: Heroes of Mighty Magic

5. Pg-51: Right upon the face of good old @Anduin. :D

I'll update my post when I find the other three.

EDIT:

6. Pg-51: On the face of the ferret which is @deltago's current avatar.

7. Pg-51: On the skull topping @Anduin's staff.

One left...

Now, where are my cookies?
    AnduinThacoBell
    edited September 2018
    deltago said:

Oh, and the first person to find an Easter Egg in this issue gets a :cookie:

@Thacobell has it.

I think there are 2 left. Both of which maybe hard to find. (I didn't count Heroes of Mighty Magic because it was more of a sample from the album Fandaxx reviewed than anything else).

edit: Here's some hints. One links to Five Magics by Megadeth. The other links to The Last Day of Magic by the Kills. All the previous links were linked to songs that corresponded with either something written or pictured in the magazine. "Magic Man" by Heart = Anduin's face, "Animal Magic" by Peter Gabriel = Ferret. "A Kind of Magic" = Queen song.

AnduinThacoBell
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    People who click MY face...
    Rik_KirtaniyaThacoBell
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Rik_Kirtaniya , I'd be interested in knowing your sources for that article on magical sigils. Did those come from WotC sourcebooks, and if so, where did they get them? Is it all completely made up, or has someone researched and found examples from real life historical lore, for example, ancient Sumerian, Babylonian, Egyptian, or medieval alchemy? I also believe there have been numerous "secret societies" throughout history, such as the Freemasons, who have been interested in researching and promulgating supernatural symbols and ideas as though they were a real thing. (For the record, I don't believe any of it is real. I think people make it all up because humans like to make things up.)

I really think sources should be credited in an article like that, because even though it seems intended as something for fun only, where you are roleplaying a Forgotten Realms magical scholar, my mind wants to red flag it as academic plagiarism without citations, unless you actually designed and created all those sigils yourself.

If there was any credit given in the article, I missed it. Admittedly, I only scanned and didn't read carefully.
    ThacoBell
    edited September 2018
    @BelgarathMTH The source is my mind. ;) I created and designed all those sigils entirely by myself. Everything in there is completely original and derived from my imagination and creativity.

If you are interested about how I created those sigils, let me tell you the secret. ;)

If you look at the sigils carefully and then at the words which they represent, you'll be able to see that all the letters in the particular word have been coalesced in a way-that-looks-good, so that if you try, you can trace out all the letters in any particular sigil. Sometimes, I've stylised certain letters by writing them a bit differently.

Take for example, the following.

This is the sigil of Nulling that I created. As you can see, the image is basically the word NULL coalesced in a manner to make it look like an arcane symbol. That's how everything else had been created as well.

I hope that clears your doubts. :)
    BelgarathMTHThacoBellGusindalolien
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Rik_Kirtaniya , Ah, okay, very interesting, then. I thought they wound up looking like the symbols used in astrology to represent the signs and the planets, or the symbols for the alchemical elements.

I believe those and also eastern pictographs are made using combinations of small drawings that represent linguistic archetypes. For example, the symbol for Scorpio looks like a scorpion's tail, and the symbol for Neptune looks like a trident.

But yours are based on mutations of letters from the English alphabet, if I understand you correctly. That's an interesting approach, and very creative of you.
    Rik_KirtaniyaThacoBell
    @BelgarathMTH

But yours are based on mutations of letters from the English alphabet, if I understand you correctly.

Precisely so. :blush:

That's an interesting approach, and very creative of you.

Thanks for your interest and hope you enjoyed reading it! :smiley:
    ThacoBelllolien