Skip to content

Dumb Ideas Thread

This is a thread for stupid ideas - mods, tweaks etc. - that could be incorporated in the game but almost certainly never will be. List your dumb ideas here people:

1. One slot in every character's inventory should be turned into a 'pocket'. This acts just like a Gem Bag and can only hold small items like gems and jewelry.
StummvonBordwehrgorgonzolaMcGollum

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Skatan said:

4. Dual wielding shields for massive AC boosts. APR is set to 0.

5. Add shields that acts as an offhand weapon; shieldbash. 1D4 blunt damage + STR modifier. Or maybe 1D2 for buckler, 1D4 for small shield, 1D6 for medium shields, 1D8 for large and 1D10 for tower shields. Could also add THAC0 penalty for larger shields for being "unwieldy".

You could combine the two and dual-wield shields as offensive weapons. So you get a massive AC boost plus two attacks per round.
    Skatanlolien
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I like the first one. It lines up with my old idea that nobles and normal people do not carry random treasure in their inventory but in pouches or purses. When pick pocketing or looting, you would get a bag which would give a random treasure from the treasure tables as well as useless crap that cannot be sold but can in some cases be used as quest item (like a fork being useful to a drunk in a tavern for eating food).
    Permidion_Stark
    edited September 2018
    6. I would like scrolls to be only understandable by magic users of the correct level to cast and learn them. If given to magic users without the appropriate level they should show gibberish in the description and should automatically fail when learning or casting.
    Permidion_StarkStummvonBordwehrUnderstandMouseMagicOrlonKronsteen
    7. All scrolls should be unidentified when you first find them. If you don't have sufficient Lore and can't be bothered to cast Identify you have no idea what they do until you read them.
    lroumenSkatanGotural

7. All scrolls should be unidentified when you first find them. If you don't have sufficient Lore and can't be bothered to cast Identify you have no idea what they do until you read them.

indeed, this is inclusive to my idea of 6.
    Permidion_Stark
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited September 2018
    Skatan said:

4. Dual wielding shields for massive AC boosts. APR is set to 0.

Eurgh no! If you have shields, but no weapon, you are not discouraging the opponent from advancing!!! If there is no threat, he will just push through and stab you in the chest! Maybe against ranged but definitely not against melee. To the contrary, being bogged down by two shields means you are pretty much defenseless...
    Skatan said:

5. Add shields that acts as an offhand weapon; shieldbash. 1D4 blunt damage + STR modifier. Or maybe 1D2 for buckler, 1D4 for small shield, 1D6 for medium shields, 1D8 for large and 1D10 for tower shields. Could also add THAC0 penalty for larger shields for being "unwieldy".

Uh no that does not make any sense! The formula for penetrating armor and flesh is absorbance (hardness, tensile strength, thickness etc) - impact (Joule / cm2). Thus, the larger the point of impact is the less damage you deal - and that is not even mentioning the fact that tower shields are rather unwieldy!

Edit: Shield bashing is more about distracting or pinning your opponent down. A stun similar to monk stun would make much more sense. Even spiked shields are not primarily meant to inflict damage but rather catch the opponents weapon or shield.

Edit: Even shuriken and throwing daggers are not designed to deal damage, but to distract. Kind of like this (skip to 1:15, look at the keys).
    gorgonzola
    edited September 2018

Or (answering my own question, sorty) maybe you know what scroll it is, but you can't make heads or tails of the content until you have enough experience.

this.

I have tried to make an item unidentified again after being identified but u could not get that to work. Maybe a Takeitemreplace could work but I have not pushed further with it yet.
    Practically I would replace all scrolls with dummy scrolls that have no activation. Then when you put them in the inventory of an appropriate user you do a Takeitemreplace with a real version of the scroll.

But how do you do the clocks advancement in a paused inventory screen?

Your thoughts?

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    A Diablo gold carrying system where 100 gold pieces occupy inventory slots. xD
    Permidion_StarkMcGollum
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    How about including a bowel movement system with new content to go with it? We could have interactive outhouses in all settlements, use monster guano as special ammo for slings and even get fancy new spells. Like Power Word: Diarrhea.

Only downside is that we can't simulate smells in computer games. For now.
    ThacoBell
    DJKajuru said:

I would actually like a Diablo-style carrying system where items of different sizes take up different amounts of space.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Boo should be a projectile that blinds does no damage but blinds an opponent for 1d4 rounds.

Critical misses should have the character falling prone, damaging themselves or breaking their equipment.
    Permidion_StarksemiticgoddessThacoBellUnderstandMouseMagic
    edited September 2018
    deltago said:

Boo should be a projectile that blinds does no damage but blinds an opponent for 1d4 rounds.

I like this but is Boo thrown by Minsc or does he launch himself? Maybe Boo could be created as a kind of familiar? (Would it be sacrilege to use the rat sprite for this?) Apart from blinding I'm not sure what his other powers would be? I guess he's got high INT and WIS so he would probably be good at identifying stuff. I figure he can probably Detect Evil as well.

Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    lroumen
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited September 2018
    boo should be modded into a charged item with a certain number of charges/day, that blind for a short time with no save, and only at a quite short range from the ranger. it would somehow work as a wand works, but with the charges that reset each day. "go for the eyes should be removed from the usual minsk talking and used only in this situation.

8 haste should give +1 AC to shield welders and the improved one double the AC bonus of the shield.
    it is very logic imo, as moving fast makes you attack more times it makes you also faster and more effective in blocking attacks with the shield.

9 a +1apr weapon, a mace, usable only by clerics. every other class can use a +1apr weapon and most can stack 2 of them. is time that this injustice ends. (@subtledoctor will never agree on that :D )
  • smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219

1. One slot in every character's inventory should be turned into a 'pocket'. This acts just like a Gem Bag and can only hold small items like gems and jewelry.

You should also be able to loot pocket lint from these pockets. Once you have accumulated enough lint, you can put it in your quick slot and cast it as per the dust mephit's 'Glass dust' ability

Permidion_Stark
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited September 2018
    Dumb spell ideas:

Make it so that the spell Strength of One, rather than setting allies' Strength to 18/76, sets enemies' Strength to 1 (Sphere: Numbers).

Make it so that Magic Missile lets you choose a target for each missile (like BG2's Wand of Lightning).

Make it so that Skull Trap summons a skull creature (with demilich sprite) that can be controlled, moved around, and detonated using an innate ability of the skull, or upon taking damage.

Make it so that Mirror Image and Reflected Image create Mislead-like controllable decoys (but without the invisibility).

Make it so that Flesh to Stone can turn a flesh golem into a stone golem, and Stone to Flesh can turn a stone golem into a flesh golem.

Make it so that Earthquake deals extra damage indoors (due to falling debris).

Make it so that Bolt of Glory uses the lightning bolt projectile (so it can bounce off walls and hit creatures multiple times).

Make it so that the victims of Emotion: Hopelessness actually say things like "I lay down and die."

Make it so that Command charms the target for a round.

Make it so that the Shout and Great Shout spells from Icewind Dale knock the targets back (like Wing Buffet).
    Permidion_Starklolien
    @subtledoctor wow, that is elegant.
    lolien
    edited September 2018
    DJKajuru said:

so you can never progress in the game because even with a full party you don't have enough slots to carry the money to pay the shadow thieves or bodhi...
    ThacoBelllolien
    Translating all of the English IE tlk's into Anglish:

Utterly useless, perhaps. But much lulz will be read at the end.

edited September 2018
    @Kamigoroshi
    the OP ask about stupid ideas - mods, tweaks etc. - that could be incorporated in the game.
    and an anglish localization of the game can be interesting for some players, i give it to you.
    but there is really no RP reason to assume that the language they talk in faerun should be based on german language or that the ethnic and genetic composition of the faerun human population should be germanic, and even if so why then use anglish, a not existent language, and not german or dutch? the faerun people speak english cause who invented DnD and who created the computer games was english speaking and also cause it gives access to the game to more people than every other language as in this modern times is somehow the lingua franca of the world, like before french was and even before latin. but afaik there is no reason out of it why faerun population or population should be germanic.

i find also quite silly, and this is a personal opinion, the whole idea of an anglish. it assumes that uk population is a pure germanic one, so let's go back to the roots and wipe out the language from foreign influences. but it is so?
    in my opinion the answer is not. great britain is a melting pot of genes as the original population was celtic and then every invader left its influence on the language as well as on the genetic pool. in the video you linked it shows up when we see that the latin originated part of the vocabulary is higher in percentage than the germanic one and as latins were in great britain before the germans latin is surely in the roots of english, is not a corruption of it that happened later.
    but this can drive the whole thread ot... let's not do it :)

@gorgonzola I truthfully have no idea how you can take an idea posted in the Dumb Ideas thread as serious at all. This is a thread about nonsensical modification possibilities after all. Hence my post: a utterly useless tweak, yet still hilarious to read. :P
    gorgonzolaThacoBelllolien
    maybe because i am dumb? :D
    KamigoroshiArctodusPermidion_Stark
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    The dumb in the dumb thread...

...dumbception...
    gorgonzolaContemplative_HamsterlolienMcGollum