Skip to content

EE Keeper, Updated to v1.0.4

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Are you egiting the Chr file? If you are editing it in game, it will be temporary, but if you edit the chr file it should be permanent. To get to the chr file go to the icon which says that it is creature browser. Then filter the many creatures by using the filter button and typing in Dorn.
    Satrhan
  • SatrhanSatrhan Member Posts: 75
    Does that work when he's already recruited? I tried by first deleting the changes in the saved game, then edited dorn.cre but doesn't seem to work. Or is it one of the others, dorn2, dorn4, or dorn6?
    Satrhan said:

Does that work when he's already recruited? I tried by first deleting the changes in the saved game, then edited dorn.cre but doesn't seem to work. Or is it one of the others, dorn2, dorn4, or dorn6?

I wouldn't have thought so. All I have done to edit them is change the portrait and improve their starting armour/weaponry.

Changing stats and the like is NOT reccomended. It causes crashes!!

If you want his armour to be different I would edit the armour itself, save it with a different name and then assign it to him. The editing of the armour can be done in nearinfinity.
  • egbertegbert Member Posts: 99
    Reading all the Questions - some of them again and again - wouldn't it make sense to write a manual???
    If you SELL it for a low price you could also make some money with it... :)
    egbert said:

Reading all the Questions - some of them again and again - wouldn't it make sense to write a manual???
    If you SELL it for a low price you could also make some money with it... :)

That is a good idea, but I think that selling it could cause legal problems. A lot of permissions will probably have been given on the understanding that it is not a profit making venture.
    Bloodstone
  • SatrhanSatrhan Member Posts: 75

I wouldn't have thought so. All I have done to edit them is change the portrait and improve their starting armour/weaponry.

Changing stats and the like is NOT reccomended. It causes crashes!!

If you want his armour to be different I would edit the armour itself, save it with a different name and then assign it to him. The editing of the armour can be done in nearinfinity.

Figured I'd have to do it before recruiting him. I'll give it a try for a new game or bg2. What do you mean by changing stats and the like causing crashes? If I say, upped his strength that could crash the game?

I was able to fix something that caused my game to break by editing a cre file. Some guy in the iron throne building (added or changed by SCS I think) would have his enraged state end after he was dead. It even showed up in saved games from a bit later on, causing the game to crash. Deleting his enrage ability and then going back to a save before that battle fixed it thankfully.
    I haven't tried it with EE Keeper, only BG Keeper, but when I improved the stats of the assassins in Candlekeep the game crashed. That was a long time ago.

The game also used to crash if you enlisted a character that wasn't supposed to join you (Bassilus for example) and then left the area with him. I think that levelling up those sorts of characters similarly crashes the game.
  • supergoji18supergoji18 Member Posts: 11
    How do I get EE Keeper to work on Mac? I'm running on High Sierra, but I went through the steps to perform a workaround for Wineskin. Am I supposed to choose a setup executable? If so what do I choose?
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    Currently, EEKeeper is crashing whenever I try to load a save file. This thread has all the steps attempted so far. Is there a fix for this?

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1006450#Comment_1006450
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Kneller, what version of EEKeeper are you running and what on operating system? Is EEKeeper able to start first?

Gus
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    edited September 2018
    I'm running Win8, I've tried EEKeeper 1.0.4.0 and 1.0.3.6 to the same effect. I can load up EEKeeper and configure it to find the save file, but when I try to open the actual save, it immediately crashes.

@Gusinda You were the one helping me in the other thread I posted. :)
    Gusinda
  • SymbolicFrankSymbolicFrank Member Posts: 1
    EE Keeper might work great, but it is often impossible to open the savegame / char file you want to edit, because there is no way whatsoever to select it. Which makes the tool completely useless.

Why is there not a simple FileOpen dialog, that allows you to open the file you want to edit? It's really stupid.

Either fix the settings, so it knows where to find the resources and save games, or make that dialog. Because it's totally useless otherwise.

And yes, I did try multiple games and versions. It works in the first game I tried, (BG2:EE), for char files, or if I select "alternative savegame location" for save games. And that's it. It doesn't work in any of the other Infinity games I have. Copy, delete ini, download new version, whatever. It doesn't work.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Weird. I've noticed a few people having these issues, but I don't know how to help. I've never had to deal with this personally.
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    edited September 2018
    @SymbolicFrank, just want to see if this helps. You need to create a Game Profile for each game you have (BGEE, BG2EE, PST would need three different game profiles created).

Follow these steps for the creation of each game profile:
    1) Select an install directory for the game you want.
    2) Then select the Use Save data location for that game.
    3) I check the Use Custom Save Location box.
    4) Then put a name in the Game profile (do this last as it changes when you select the file locations).
    5) Click Add next to the Game Profile field.

Repeat this for each game profile (1 & 2 are different locations for each game). Then you should be able to select the game profile from a pulldown list of the names you created and see the save for that one game.

NOTE: You cannot see the saves or character files for more than one game at a time.
    GusindaThacoBellWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • DelDel Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2018
    I was using version 1.0.3.4 on a mac with no problems until BG2 was updated from version 1.3 to 2.5. Now I get the following error message when trying to select a saved game: "The program EEKeeper.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Is this a known problem? Anything I can do? Thanks.

EDIT: Updating to 1.0.4.0 solved the problem!
    JuliusBorisov
  • EndeliteEndelite Member Posts: 1
    I have installed EEkeeper, and I am trying to run it with the GoG version of BG2:ToB.
    No saved games can be loaded, though they show up in the list.
    I simply get a crash with the message
    "Save game editor for Enhanced Edition Infinity Engine games. has stopped working
    Windows is checking for a solution to the problem"
    —————————————————————————————————————————
    eekeeper.ini reads as follows:
    [Settings]
    Current Profile = Endelite
    Effects Path = bgEEEffects.dat
    Use Known Spell Limit = true
    Use Mem Spell Limit = true
    Known Spell Limit = 20
    Mem Spell Limit = 12
    Mem Spells On Save = true
    Disable Spell Icons = false
    Default Open Single = false
    Use Normal Spell Scriptnames = false
    Use Grid Lines = false
    Display Extra Creature Info = false
    Ignore Data Versions = false
    Allow Quicksave Editing = true
    Large Appearance Colour Icons = false
    Round Appearance Colour Icons = false
    Max HP On Level Up = true
    First Roll HP = true

[Endelite]
    Install Path = B:\Program Files (x86)\D&D\Baldur's Gate II\
    Language = lang\en_US\
    Save Directory = B:\Program Files (x86)\D&D\Baldur's Gate II\
    Custom Save Directory = false

[Creature Browser Window]
    Window State = 1
    Window Flags = 0
    Left = 0
    Right = 475
    Top = 0
    Bottom = 350

[Character Browser Window]
    Window State = 1
    Window Flags = 0
    Left = 0
    Right = 475
    Top = 0
    Bottom = 350

[Editor Window]
    x = 462
    y = 128
    width = 1200
    height = 700

# Window State has four possible settings:- 0=Hidden (avoid using 0, it won't appear in the taskbar), 1=Normal, 2=Minimised, 3=Maximised.
    Window State = 1
    —————————————————————————————————————————

The lines from "Effects Path" to "Use Normal Spell Scriptnames" I added from the .ini file suggestions on the first page of this thread just in case they helped (nope).

Neither single player or multi player saves (or quick saves) load, they all throw up this error.
    The directory used is the installation directory with baldur.exe and BGMain.exe.

Also someone on an early page (probably from years ago) mentioned the Character Viewer, just a note I have that (CharView.exe) though it probably wasn't freeware (it just comes with the game I think)

I have not used a save/character editor before though any files I try to load have characters imported from files/other save games to saved games.

I have Visual C++ Studio 2017 installed (vc_redist.x64.exe) on Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to help solve the problem.
    edited October 2018
    @Endelite, welcome to the forum. It is quite possible your save game directory is incorrect. It needs to be pointed to the saved game folder which is generally in 'your documents' area:

Save Directory = D:\_Docs\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\

This is mine (customised where my documents are stored) so you will need to change to suit yours.

A quick easy way to see if the problem is .ini related is to just change the name. When EEKeeper restarts, it should rebuild a new one and you can reset the directories.

Hope that helps
    Gus

Edit: ignore the face, it is supposed to be D :
    Post edited by Gusinda on
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • ChaosticketChaosticket Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2018
    I just got the EE Keep last night. I think I set it up properly, with saved games appearing. However when i try to actually load a Saved Game using the EE Keeper, the program crashes without even a pop up. I can load a character and save, but if I actually go into Baldur's Gate 2 and look to "Import" a character, its not there. I check my saved Characters in My Documents and yeah its there.

SO I cant play an EEKeeper character and I cant load a game using EE Keeper. What is my problem?

PS: I tried it on Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition and it works with that. I edited characters, saved them to a game file, loaded it. No problems with that game.
    Post edited by Chaosticket on
    Hi @Chaosticket, welcome to the forum. Had a similar thing happen with EEKeeper 1.0.4.0. I reverted back to 1.0.3.6 and was able to load and edit games and characters.

As far as the Characters go, make sure the filename is no more than 8 characters (I limit them to 7) when you save. If they are the correct name and in the correct folder, then try restarting BG (ie: not editing the file with BG running in the background.

Hope that helps
    Gus
    JuliusBorisov
  • Cyruschen0112Cyruschen0112 Member Posts: 55
    Hello, is there any way to use EE Keeper for BD EE 2 Android player?
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    @Cyruschen0112 I myself am unfamiliar with the structure of the Android version, but if it is the same, you would be able to copy the save to PC to edit it. (You'd still need the assets on PC though...)
    Gusinda
    edited October 2018
    @Cyruschen0112, if you have access to a PC, then have a look at this post. Towards the end of it, it lets you know how to setup your system to enable EEKeeper to edit your games. Don't worry about the rest of it unless you want to add mods to the current version of BG2EE as it is no longer relevant (except the preparation phase which places Android assets onto PC).

Gus
    Sjerrie
  • DaturaDatura Member Posts: 12
    @Troodon80 Whenever I try to edit "Out of Party" characters, EEKeeper crashes (I'm using v1.0.4).
    I saw that, some time ago, you acknowledged this issue and said it would be fixed in a future release, but it's been more than a year since the current one was made available.

I don't want to pressure you or anything, I understand you're doing this for free in your spare time (which I tremendously appreciate by the way), I just want to know if you're still considering releasing a new version in the foreseeable future?

Regardless, let me thank you for your work and apologize if I sound entitled ;)
  • sarethsareth Member Posts: 54
    edited November 2018
    Can I restart Korgan quest "The Book of Kaza"?

EDIT: I change world/game time and time for the quest has not expired...
    Post edited by sareth on
  • jharness1990jharness1990 Member Posts: 1
    Is there a proper start up guide for EE Keeper somewhere? The FAQ at the beginning sort of helped, but I've either borked my install somehow or I'm doing something wrong.

Came here looking for why my item codes were not working in Debug mode. Seems that no matter what source I use, I get a "does not exist" error, even when using the codes in EEKeeper.

Any next steps I can take? Very frustrated.
    Hi @jharness1990, welcome to the forum. This is perhaps the wrong discussion to place the request in as this relates to the console rather than EEKeeper. There are a number of discussions related to the console on the board.

However, lets look at your problem. It could be that you might have the console command incorrect, most likely using single quotes instead of double quotes. Give this one a go; copy and paste will be fine:

C:CreateItem("BAG31")

In BGEE/BG2EE, it should give you a Bag of Holding. If it does, just replace the item code with that in which you want.

Good Luck
    Gus
    Sjerrie
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited December 2018
    I removed Dorn from the party for almost 2 days. Can you tell me if the romance is still going on or how to resume it manually?

Post edited by rede9 on

Is there a proper start up guide for EE Keeper somewhere? The FAQ at the beginning sort of helped, but I've either borked my install somehow or I'm doing something wrong.

Came here looking for why my item codes were not working in Debug mode. Seems that no matter what source I use, I get a "does not exist" error, even when using the codes in EEKeeper.

Any next steps I can take? Very frustrated.

Have you tried using EE Keeper to add the items that you require? If you go to inventory you can "Change item" You can then filter out most of the items by deselecting "all" and then just selecting the type that you want. If you select short swords for instance you then have to scroll down through the clubs, and then all the short swords will be listed. Keeper used to get you straight to the short swords, but for some reason that has changed.

Note however that mod items, particularly in old mods are quite often in the wrong category. Dark Horizons, NSoSC and the like are particularly bad concerning the way they created items. More modern mods are better, but despite their faults the old mods can be well worth having.

I keep thinking to myself that I ought to correct them and share them as that is something that I could do even though I am not a modder. I have never got round to it though. The fact that I haven't makes me all the more appreciative of the modders of this game. :)
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    @rede9 unless the EE-npcs are handled differently, the actual romance flag is in Global Variables.
    rede9